main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY North Ridge Builders' Workshop

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Wild Sidewalker, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I picked up a copy of the blueprints book so we will at least have that. Also, realize that while this will be nice to have as a complete mock up, it only needs to be finished for photography facing straight on the pilot's face. Thus, the hoses and cords behind the pilot would be a "must" while the control panel and targeting systems would be "secondary" or not necessary; I'd only want to work on them if we had the time and resources AFTER finishing the one perspective that we definitely need in time for filming.

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  2. BobbyFromBUF

BobbyFromBUF Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 23, 2013
    I'm having trouble attaching the screen capture, but if you Google "Porkins Star Wars X Wing" you'll see the photo I'm referring to.

It really shows several details that if we ca recreate will make this build look like a replica prop. First, note what you can see: the framework of the cockpit "lid", some lights attached to the headrest, some tubes, hoses, and pipes on the sides of the pilot, the 2 top engine cowlings, the crown of the astro-mech droid, and much more.

It might help to start thinking about building supplies: barrels, a large bowl (for the crown of the Droid), vacuum cleaner hoses, telephone cords, plumbing pipes, metal tubing, etc...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...4e/PorkinsHasAProblem(BesidesObesity)-ANH.jpg

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  3. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Agreed. While the museum may have some found materials that we can use immediately, I'm guessing that morning will be doing inventory of what we have and what we need. Thus, any such items that anyone can think to bring and already have, please do. Also, if any club member reading this could bring materials to the meeting Saturday that would be very helpful; given how mistakes will happen during a build, I don't think there can be such a thing as too much of any building resource.

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  4. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    I was having some trouble with this app. So, I posted 2 photos with some notes to The Northridge Facebook page. Sorry, the struggle is real, haha.

5. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
  6. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    The pic with the green screen is such a score! Well lit, with no pilot in the way, haha! Great job!

7. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    I will check some salvation army/goodwill for maybe an old chair and some vac tubing or whatever we can use. plus I can go through some stuff at work.

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  8. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    The chair won't even be visible so it doesn't need to be part of the build per se; once built we could use any chair available. Here is another green screen shot
    [​IMG]

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  9. GreyGirl

GreyGirl Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2009
    Unfortunately we already have plans on Sunday so won't be able to participate.

10. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    those large grey tubes look like dishwasher hook up hoses

11. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

I found some scraps in my basement, but they're not very long.

12. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    with tonight car episode i doubt i will be able to be there tomorrow. sorry all. post pictures! let me know how it goes!

13. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    As this is my first time attending a builder's workshop, can anyone give me guidance as to where to enter, etc...? Thanks.

14. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Go to the museum's main guest entrance. Tell the admission's desk you are there for the "Builder's Workshop" led by Doug Borzynski. If you have a museum membership, you should still use it for the museum's statistical purposes but you won't otherwise need it; Doug will verify your credentials and can then come get you and bring you into the workshop.

Steve Lukasik, Dave Barkewitz, and myself are planning on arriving together at 10:00 AM. If you are there at that time, we could all enter together.

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  15. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    I'm here, but I'm not seeing you guys.

16. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    We are running late but on our way. Maybe ten minutes. We should exchange phone numbers when we get there. See you soon!

17. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    No worries. Drive carefully. See you soon.

18. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Very productive first session! We will continue this workshop every Sunday through March until this build is complete. A crew of about 2-4 club members seems sufficient to the tasks. Still, please post here if you will be able to make it for any given Sunday. See you then! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I will be able to be there this Sunday from 10-1pm.

20. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Things still a go for tomorrow? 10-4 again

21. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Yup! Or at least I've gotten no word that Doug needs to cancel

22. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Great! See you in the morning. Do I need to bring any tools?

23. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks for coming out, Dan! Great work today!

24. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    We meet again this coming Sunday, 3/15, 10-4. Due to museum scheduling, we won't be able to use the workshop on 3/22. No workshop on Easter (4/5) and I imagine we will be into filming by the weekend of 4/11. Thus, 3/15 will likely be our final build session with 3/29 for any remaining work such as prepping for transportability and painting.

25. BobbyFromBUF

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

I have some more photos of the progress for your build thread, but I just wanted to share a look at what I had finished. Still need to figure out how the pieces will be attached...

Rock Nightshifter likes this.