main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Not going to SWC17, but watching the streamed events

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Skywalker2B, Apr 10, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hear ya on the data - I'm capped at 20GB a month and I was keeping an eye on the meter as I watched.

2. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    To me it's worth paying the extra $15 to be able to watch the live streams. :)

Hey, I can't watch right now. Are they streaming Filoni's panel?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just saw in Lit that it's on a delay due to some interviews with GL and others.

Edit - Lit thread says Filoni has started.

4. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    And, I must say, even watching the streaming 40th panel in my car at lunch I got a little emotional a couple times. Being a fan since '77, converting my wife, raising my kids to be fans, memories of SWC5 and 6, etc. It just all hit me. Very nice panel. Very nice indeed.

Guidman likes this.
  5. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    Animated Origins panel now, it's a shame they don't have the artwork up that they're talking over.

6. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I also had a lot of issues with the 40th anniversary panel...and I'm watching at home on my computer.

I totally hear you on Animated Origins PongKrell. I really don't understand why they can't show us what they're talking about. After all, we got to see the video from the 40th Anniversary panel. Makes me really nervous about the TLJ panel tomorrow. Really hope we don't get a repeat of last year's RO panel.

I really miss the way they covered Celebration Anaheim 2015. The live streams worked well and you could replay the whole thing later, and we actually got to see video and images. Not this hackneyed approach they have now.

7. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah they definitely had some teething problems today on site and on the live stream. I just think they genuinely didn't expect that many people over night (understandable as it was massively more than both TFA and RO over nighters) and (less understandably) underestimated the number of viewers on the livestream - as LAJ Fett says the issues seemed to be when the viewers spiked during the 40th panel and everything else streamed just fine. Hopefully they'll get more bandwidth or whatever for tomorrow as TLJ will probably draw even bigger crowds than today did!

They've taken the video down now, I'd expect a fixed version to be uploaded asap so we can see the full tribute and John Williams performance.

The Animated Origins panel was a bust. I know it wasn't streamed live due to the Star Wars Show interviews they did befored so I have to wonder if it had been streamed live would all the Twitter complaints have made a difference and got them to sort the camera man out? There was no excuse for not showing the images or video, it was like the camera operator just didn't know what they were doing or the tech guys hadn't been given the images or clips to switch to. Again, hopefully lessons learnt for tomorrow.

Ian and Ray both gave fantastic panels, the 40th (barring the tech issues) was incredible, Dave's panel was actually really interesting and would have been great if they'd shown the images. All in all it's been a good day and hopefully tomorrow will be just a great (with some tech improvements)

8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    They seemed to have much better camera work on both of the panels on the Galaxy Stage. Not sure if there's some constraint on the Celebration Stage since its a ballroom or what. I enjoyed it alot watching the stream today. I thought they did a real good job barring the technical issues at the beginning. Mixed thoughts on Anthony Carboni lol, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the weekend has to offer.

9. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm pretty sure the live stream issues aren't anything new, so I'm surprised they haven't come up with a fix yet. They do have stills of some of the pics from Animated Origins on the Star Wars twitter feed (Cad Bane, the Ghost, concepts for Ahsoka's face). I'd really love to see the Rex art though.

Personally, I liked the 2 guys who did the hosting in 2015 better than Andi Gutierrez and Anthony Carboni. Now I'm off to watch the rest of Day 1.

Guidman likes this.
  10. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    No problems with the live stream for TLJ panel today, really enjoyed the panel, and that trailer! =D=

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  11. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    FYI, they cut the feed for the heronies of Star wars panel to show the Rey Force of Destiny short. It was pretty cool. They'll start going up on YouTube in July.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

12. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    Yeah. So glad things went smoothly. I'm also glad we were able to see the trailer.

I'm confused about one thing. I thought we were going to see a Rogue One related panel today. Something about how they made the movie. What happened?

I'm also not sure why they seem to always have Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park's panels on the live stream. I get that they play popular characters, but it'd be nice to see something different.

13. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Been catching up on some of the other panels this morning, Mark's Tribute to Carrie was really touching and fun and the Heroines of Star Wars which was very cool.

14. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    The panel started a half hour late because they were having technical Problems in that room. We were queued up for the Hamill tribute with a couple who went to that one and told us. They said it was especially bad because the panel was rushed and they had to skip over a bunch of cool stuff.

15. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Who were the people sitting on stage during Mark Hamill's Carrie Fisher tribute? Were those VIP ticketholders?

16. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    People who got picked for the "best seats in the house." It's something they do one the main stage. They pick a handful of people (usually families with small children, but not always) and they bring them to sit there.

Sometimes it produces fantastic moments. Like Carrie Fisher making out with the fan or Dave filoni getting asked a tough question by a little girl.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  17. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm watching the Heroines of Star Wars panel and it occurred to me that in footage I haven't seen the ubiquitous Slave Leia outfits. Have they dwindled in numbers as a costume choice? Did Felicity Jones participate in any panels?

18. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I've seen a decent number of slave Leias. Jones didn't have a panel.

19. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    There have been a bunch of slave Leia's today. Didn't see many Thursday or Friday but they've been out in full force today.

20. PongKrell

Jul 17, 2016
    The schedules they've tweeted for the streams have been wrong, havent't they?

[​IMG]

We got Small Talk with Warwick Davis instead of The Making of Rogue One, and yesterday instead of the Marvel panel it was Smuggler's Revenge.

At the start of the streams, Andi mentioned the Rogue One panel, the Marvel panel and Smuggler's Revenge (not Small Talk though).

21. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm watching "Smuggler's Revenge" now. Looks like a treat. Had I been there and didn't know of the change, I might not have been there since I might not have been interested in the comics panel.

22. PongKrell

Jul 17, 2016
    I'm not sure what you mean, isn't that a double negative?

23. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    That is not a double negative. I don't know what is confusing.

24. PongKrell

Jul 17, 2016
    I read it as: "Had I been there and didn't know they were streaming Smuggler's Revenge, I might not have gone to Smuggler's Revenge since I might not have been interested in the Marvel panel"

Don't you mean you might *have* been interested in the Marvel panel? You're saying that you would have gone to the Marvel panel if you knew Smuggler's was the one streaming, right?

25. CloneTrooper9000

CloneTrooper9000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I had the YouTube stream on pretty much all day Friday and Saturday and didn't seem to have any issues, thankfully. I've been having so much fun watching everything as a virtual attendee! Mark Hamill's tribute to Carrie was really touching and also hilarious. But as an audio drama nerd, I think the Smuggler's Revenge live show has been my favorite thing so far, I think they did a really great job with it.

Padme501st and Darthmaul208 like this.