main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Not My Father's Son - A Luke AU - An unintentional epic - Updated 12/14/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Ohhh, Luke touched the Darkness and Mara will train him but is forbidden to get attached to him... I wonder if Vader has forseen something.

2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    *hands not shaking anymore* Ah, thanks for the great update. I was fearful I might have to start going to some sort of "Not my Father's Son" 12 step program!

His mind reeling, Luke gave a soft cry of surrender and reached for his father through that undeniable bond and then they fell?

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Luke, my boy! You can fight it! Well, maybe not....>sigh< Great story and so well written! =D=

3. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    *sighs happily*

I love the story so far, and it's fascinating watching Luke struggle. :)

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    *claps hands excitedly at the Mara/Vader-ness* :D (Yes, it's a sickness. I need help. [face_blush] )

You pegged her perfectly - we'd expect nothing less ;) - with her loyalty to the Power rather than the Person. :cool:

Can't wait for more!

5. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    It looks like Mara is in control for now- Luke better watch out!

And it was interesting to see Vader & Mara working together.

Great update! :)

6. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Either Vader has regained some power (which would account for him having killed Palpatine) or Luke is lucky not have had to deal with his father?s Force presence before when it was at its full blazing intensity. Very effective sequence, not as dark and evil seeming though as Luke might have expected. Enjoyed Vader?s lack of patience with Luke whining on about ?Ben would??

Loved the ?Perhaps we should wait before teaching him any mind control techniques,? as it showed both Mara and Vader?s sense of humour.

Liked Luke?s surprise that Mara would answer his queries, and her casual attitude about Vader having acted like a Sith.

Poor Vader, Mara thinks the Jedi were weaklings?so she thinks he got left near death by a weakling. :p
    (weakling?not the word that springs to mind when meeting Mace Windu I think)

Feel sorry for Maarek Steele (the TIE Fighter game guy) as he?d be dead and I liked him.

7. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    ?Yes, my lord,? Mara replied. That would not be difficult at all, she thought. She thoroughly disliked the whining son of the Emperor, she told herself firmly. She had hated the Emperor?s plan from the beginning, but she would do her duty, no matter how distasteful. ?I understand.?

Wonder if she'll continue feeling this way towards him. ;)

Loved the explanation for how Mara came to be in Vader's service!

Excellent chapter. :D

8. merijune

merijune Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2005
    Once again... I am attracted to your writing! I do like the bantering between Mara & Luke. I think it's a very possible AU.
    Please PM me with updates, please!! Thank you.

9. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Very interesting AU... There's a whole heap of potential here. [face_thinking] The Luke/Mara interactions have been great so far, as have Luke's encounters with Vader -- I like the way that the characters are still recognisably themselves, and yet different, just as they should be in a situation where so much in their lives has changed. Luke's experience with Vader and the Force was beautifully written and very eerie... and I loved Vader's warning to Mara re Luke wanting to form attachments... o_O [face_thinking]

Looking forward to seeing where you're going to take this story... :D

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    JadeLotus A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! ;)

mavjade Vader has reasons of his own. [face_whistling]

RebelMom Vader can be very persuasive...

KrystinaSkywalker It's been fun writing them in this slightly different universe. :D

Jade_Max She IS a survivor, first and foremost.

LonelyJensaarai She had to have a motive, and this one seemed to work, at least to me. :p

ginchy Yeah, Mara isn't exactly known for listening, is she??

Golden_Jedi I don't know if Vader has seen something or not. [face_whistling]

Jade_Pilot We'll have to see just how strong Luke really is. :D

Inara He's got some problems, doesn't he? [face_batting]

Jedi Trace Funny you should say that, I've been fascinated by what these two would have thought of each other. [face_mischief]

jedi_princess18 Yes, Mara is definitely in charge...for now. :)

_JM_ Vader doesn't want to hear about Kenobi just yet. :p

Gina Vader might be surprised by what these two cook up, or not ;)

merijune Thank you, and I will!

Knight_Aragorn
    Thank you! I hope you like what's coming. This was going to be a short story, but it's sort of taking on a life of its own. Uh oh.[face_worried]

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Chapter 6

?What do you mean by that?? Luke asked, his fear rising up and threatening to choke him. He took a deep breath, reaching out for the Force to calm him. Sluggishly, it answered his call. But at least it came to me, he thought with relief.

Mara studied him curiously, her green eyes sharp and observant. ?Meaning your father has had enough of this Rebellion,? she said. ?They?ve been causing problems for years now and it?s time that things changed.?

?How does he intend to do that?? The words escaped him against his will. He did not want her to think he still cared about the Rebellion, because he most certainly did not. He certainly cared about someone in the Rebellion, but that would give her, and more importantly his father, a weapon.

?He doesn?t talk to me about his plans,? Mara replied. ?You?ll have to ask him that yourself.?

Luke was silent for a long moment. ?And you think he?ll tell me? That I can just walk up to him and say ?Hi, Dad! Remember that annoying Rebellion that blew up the Death Star? Yeah, well, I?d like to know what your plans are for them.?? Luke snorted. ?I?m sure that would go over well.?

?I never said he?d tell you,? Mara pointed out. ?I just said I didn?t know and if you wanted to know, you?d have to do the asking.?

?Thanks for the help,? Luke snapped sarcastically.

?You?re quite welcome, Skywalker,? she replied with a smirk. Then her expression turned serious. ?Your father wants me to begin working with you.?

?Why??

?Apparently, you?ve been a naughty boy and let your Force skills get lazy,? she answered. ?And I?m here to get you back into shape ? physically and otherwise.?

?I?ll pass.?

Crossing her arms over her chest, Mara shook her head. ?That wasn?t an invite, it was an order.?

Two pairs of eyes locked, sparks flying between them. Luke had the legendary Skywalker stubborn streak, but it had been softened by physical weakness. Mara had never learned to back down, and she certainly was not about to begin now. Luke sighed and shrugged. ?Fine,? he said at last. ?If you think you can show me anything useful, I?m game.?

Instead of getting offended, Mara laughed and poked him in the chest. ?You have no idea how much I can teach you,? she said. ?And when it?s all over, you?re gonna be begging for mercy.?

Luke swallowed hard, for the image evoked by her words was not all what his father intended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mara led the way and Luke got his first sober look at his father?s ship. The Executor was the pride of the Imperial fleet, the flagship, and the Emperor?s own personal vessel. Every crewmember that served aboard her had proven to be the best at what they did and they all served proudly, well aware of their elevated status. ?Hurry up, Skywalker, ?Mara urged as Luke?s curiosity slowed his pace.

Soon they arrived at a door that looked no different from the dozens of doors they had passed on the way. When Mara opened it, Luke looked over her shoulder and gaped. It was a large, open chamber, with an assortment of weapons arranged on one wall and rows of droids standing at silent attention along another.

?Your father?s personal training salle,? Mara explained as they entered.

Luke knew that his mouth was hanging open, but could not prevent the reaction. He moved closer to examine the weapons and gave a low whistle of admiration. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw the same appreciation for the display in Mara?s expression. For just a moment, they had this one small thing in common. It felt good ? and he hated that. ?Some of these weapons are ancient,? he said quietly, his voice as reverent as any believer standing in a religious house.

Mara nodded and came to stand beside him. ?Yes, they are,? she confirmed. ?They?re beautiful, aren?t they?? Then she flushed and bit her lip as if embarrassed at the show of emotion.

Only Mara Jade could think of her words as emotional, Luke thought to himself. A crooked grin transformed his face, taking away years and bitter experience in an ins

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Poor Mara... I bet I know someone who could scratch that "itch" for her.

Hee!

Great chapter! Loved where Luke learned he is more like his father than he'd like to be, and the emotion that brought up in him.

And the Rebellion... hmmm... interesting...

13. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I suspect itchy Mara is kind of dangerous... Watch out, Luke!

14. MJade

MJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Mama Vader,

Loved the update. It's hard not to enjoy such great M/L banter (and why bother trying not to?), and hello physical training. Yeah, that's an interesting combo. I wonder how well that will go (wink, wink). And the idea of an "itchy" Mara. Oh, yeah. Vader may not be pleased. Great story all around. Keep up the good work.

15. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    An update! *Doing the happy dance* [face_dancing]

Loved this line:

She quirked one brow at him. ?Waxing poetic on me??

Shrugging, his lowered his gaze to his feet. ?Not on your life,? he replied. ?I just like things that go boom.?

I love the banter between these two, but can Luke resist the dark side and Mara? Hmmmmmmmm?

16. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Looks like Luke and Mara are starting to be friends...:)

And I wonder if Vader would approve of Mara's nocturnal activities....

Thanks for the PM!

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Luke is finding he has more in common with his father than he thought. I'm wondering if Vader made a misstep with having Mara spend so much time with Luke. He may see Mara as his trained assassin, but Luke would see her in an entirely different light. Good way to ensure attachments, not prevent them.

18. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    ?Not on your life,? he replied. ?I just like things that go boom.?
    He may be bitter, but the farmboy is still alive...[face_dancing]
    And that was some lesson on how to dump someone :eek: very... ummm, educating

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Lemme just count the things I loved about that chapter: Mara threatening to make Luke beg for mercy o_O , Luke's admiration of Vader's handiwork [face_love], Mara with an anti-itchy-'tude [face_mischief] .

LOVED it!! :D

20. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Liked how reluctant Luke was to let Mara know he still cared about what happened to Leia. Also liked his choice of example of something the Rebellion had accomplished.

Luke swallowed hard, for the image evoked by her words was not all what his father intended. ?Heh. I wonder what Luke was thinking. ;)

Liked Luke?s reaction to the beautifully crafted, restored, and maintained weapons and the shared moment with Mara. Also liked his reaction to her saying it had been his father who had done all that work. Poor Luke, he?s inherited his father?s love of tinkering and skill at it and would prefer to have not had this in common.

Itchy Mara?that is why I don?t share the general idea of ?Mara / Leia / Jaina / Aayla is HAWT!? I have confidence in my itch scratching abilities but not that much confidence. :p

Maybe we can get a Red Sonia vibe going (would ?submit? only to a man who could defeat her) or at least Luke deciding that however little he wants to be his father?s son that he wants to gain Mara?s respect and a chance at (to quote part one) ?kissing the pale, fragrant flesh he sensed beneath the snug lines of the unisuit she wore.? :)

21. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Very Direct aren't we Mara? :p The 'make things go BOOM' line had me giggling. Death Star go Boom!

I know you updated recently, but Um, in the words of a little baby dinosaur, 'Again!'

:D

This is very interesting. I like how you make Vader believably sympathetic. Poor Emperor Vader.:p

22. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    I missed a post. Bad me.

I can't get over how well you write Vader - yours is one of the best I've seen. I both love and hate him.

So, Mara's been ordered to keep Luke from getting friendly with her or anyone else, but I'm already seeing the beginning of something between them.

I love this fic, so update soon.

23. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    yay for Luke not liking being a little too much like daddy *chuckle* I adored how Mara's words to him about "begging for more" *snicker* brought out the unintended image.

Oooo the tension!

Itchy Mara [face_laugh] I bet Luke would scratch it if she asked real nice... or maybe even if she "ordered" [face_thinking] - I don't think he'd complain too much *snicker*

Great post, MamaVader!

24. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Great update! I loved that despite the differences in ideologies, Luke is his father's son in so many ways, as uncomfortable as it might be for both of them.

Like everyone else, I also enjoyed the dynamic between Luke and Mara [face_love]

25. Jedi_Rike

Jedi_Rike Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2006
    *Checks another fic off the list from his 'To Read List'*

I have managed to get myself caught up on this fantastic story. This is so cool, the idea behind it just works so well. Your universe just feels so real, so workable. I am really looking foward to the future of this story.

I am really enjoying the whole Luke/Mara are destined to be together no matter what the AU Universe happens to be. I also am enjoying that Luke will actually have the opportunity to get to know his father, even though he doesn't want to. Maybe even turn him back to the light?

Hmm, class just got out, I'll finish my review later today.

Edit: Haha, next class.

Anyway, I think that it would also be rather interesting to get Leia's opinion later on down the road. Maybe Luke convinces his father that Jabba needs to go and in the process rescues Han? Then again, a completely uncaring dark side Luke would also be a rather fun read. I suppose I am just a Light Sided person at heart. Either way, I am onboard and ready to read more.

Great several posts and keep many many of `em coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.