main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Note 5/30--The Ties That Bind--OT AU-Padme joins Vader, mayhem does ensue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Leia's time with Vader has certainly left a mark on her. Glad to see you writing again.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. Yeah, I wanted to convey the same sort of panicked, untrusting, hypersensitive nature that can possibly come when leaving an abusive situation.

3. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    heh, I suspected something like that has happened to you even before reading your post. Intuition maybe?

Anyways, nice chappie. Liked the plot-twist.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow, Ish. That was as brilliant as ever! Poor Leia.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Intuition works. :) Thanks, both.

6. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I am so sorry to hear about the real life trouble. It sounds like your ex has some severe problems, but I hope you know that that is not your fault or responsibility (no matter what his family thinks). I am glad to hear that you had the strength to leave the situation. A lot of women never do.

This is a very good and interesting story. It seems that Leia is having some adjustment problems. I am looking forward to reading more about the galaxy's most dysfunctional family.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, Dally. I'm just glad he's at home, getting treatment, and won't be in the state any time soon.

I'm glad you liked that post.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "No pain here?"

It was about the sixth time the Palace CMO had asked the same question and each time she'd patiently said no.

"You'll pardon the question," Aleina Vos explained, "but when you were retrieved, the team reported that you showed signs of abuse. Partially healed fractures, bruising and lacerations. Yet, four days later, you appear to be in good health."

She glanced up with a slight smile. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a Jedi."

There was no need for an answer, since the number of people here who knew about Anakin Skywalker was limited to four: Bail, Sache, the head of security at Antibes, and her father's personal aide, Tarrick. Dr. Vos was not fishing for answers because she was trained not to.

Nevertheless, the curiosity had to be killing every person who knew that their Princess had disappeared for several weeks.

"'Rest will heal most wounds where action cannot,'" Leia quoted quietly.

"Ah," Aleina grunted approvingly. "You have been listening to me all these years."

"Only enough to keep you off my nerves," she countered, the first smile she'd managed in days stretching one side of her mouth.

The smile was returned as she checked Leia's pupils. "I don't doubt it, even though it didn't succeed very often."

Her hand slid away from Leia's brow to rest against her cheek in a familiar, affectionate gesture. "It's good to have you back, Your Highness."

"Thank you."

That seemed to be the end of things, as she turned and began packing away the examination tools, so Leia dressed out of habit rather than a desire to leave.

"All set here?"

Leia glanced up as Father entered with a brisk stride and a tense smile.

"All clear," she confirmed. "Dr. Vos was just commenting on my remarkable recuperative powers."

"Good," he said shortly. "If I might have a word..."

She pushed to her feet with a word of thanks to Vos, then followed him into the corridor.

"Don't worry," he murmured as soon as they were alone. "The report shows that you had access to bacta."

"Good," Leia responded in kind. "It's a lot easier to explain than how the High Princess of Alderaan put herself into a healing trance."

"There will be many things that have to be replaced with easier explanations," he agreed, "but we do not have to speak of them now."

Good. I don't know how many more deceptions I can master today. I already have to assume that everything I understand is a falsehood.

"In that case," she asked delicately, "what is this word you wished to have with me?"

"Patience, diplomat," he teased gently. "This should be a conversation for your mother as well, as it concerns both the family in our home and the one that is made up of our people."

Her patience did not have to wait very long, since Mother was waiting in Leia's quarters in her usual state of impeccable elegance and quiet dignity.

It had always been said that Leia had the good fortune to inherit her father's strong will and her mother's delicate features. She hadn't recognized the similarity between her two mothers, however, until she had perused the holos on the wall of the Skywalker home. One was of Padme and her loyal handmaiden Sache, arm in arm on some unidentified mountain on Naboo.

They could have passed as sisters, certainly, with the same broad grins and dark hair, but the eyes were drastically different. Padme always had a flair for the dramatic and Leia saw no difference reflected in the intensity of her gaze. The intensity almost converted the smile into an eager leer and it had made Leia's skin crawl to say the least.

Mother, however, had slightly sloped eyes, always crinkled in amusement at some private joke. There were times when that amusement evaporated, but what replaced it shamed Leia instead of frightening her.

She thought of this because the look in her Mother's eyes stirred up a deeper shame than she had experienced in a long time. In the next moment, Mother's eyes brightened as she rose and put all dignity aside to crush her only daughter in

9. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Hmmm. Interesting! What next, I wonder?

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, next will be a discussion of certain logistics. I didn't want to put it into that post.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Anyone else interested?

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm interested! :D

I liked the comparison of Padmé and Saché in that last post.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks! I was told by someone that her name isn't Sache (I've been using it for years, but apparently, I'm wrong), but I can't, for the life of me, find where it says what Bail's wife's name is.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Will update this today, as soon as the post's finished.

15. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Oh, that chapter was great. I liked the comparison between Sache and Padme. It was interesting that the main difference between the girls was their eyes...

Maybe I'm over-reading, but I almost got this vibe that things weren't necessarily right between Bail and Leia anymore. Well, not exactly. More like there was a certain formality between them now. Perhaps it's always been there, but at the moment it caught my eye.

Anyway, I can already tell you that it's likely I'll miss the update today, seeing how not only should I be in bed soon, but I'm going away for a few days. But I'l definitely be looking forwards to it when I get back. And I'm sorry for taking awhile to review this one- I had no clue that you had updated. DRL struck again...

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Alethia--Oh, that chapter was great. I liked the comparison between Sache and Padme. It was interesting that the main difference between the girls was their eyes...

I've always been one to identify people by their eyes. I was once dating a guy who had an identical twin, except his twin seemed to always have his eyes narrowed as if he were scrutinizing you. The guy I dated had eyes with a sense of humor.

Maybe I'm over-reading, but I almost got this vibe that things weren't necessarily right between Bail and Leia anymore. Well, not exactly. More like there was a certain formality between them now. Perhaps it's always been there, but at the moment it caught my eye.

That's a very accurate reading and it was put that way specifically to prepare for some things in the upcoming scene. It definitely has not been there before, since they are in many ways kindred spirits.

Anyway, I can already tell you that it's likely I'll miss the update today, seeing how not only should I be in bed soon, but I'm going away for a few days. But I'l definitely be looking forwards to it when I get back. And I'm sorry for taking awhile to review this one- I had no clue that you had updated. DRL struck again...

Don't worry about the delay. I have massive DRL as well and just got moved into my new apartment, so haven't written for a week at least. Hope you enjoy wherever you're going.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, so I've got a pretty big post being worked on, but I've been on campus all day and it's at home and I'm lazy, so I might finish it tonight, but I might not be able to. Either way, it's going to be pretty darn intense.

18. cka3ka

cka3ka Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    Hi,

I haven't read the whole story yet, but I felt that I had to post a reply after reading the Prologue and a few chapters.

I must say that the prologue is one of the best pieces of writing I have seen on these boards. It's fabulous. It's angsty and very original. I like how you brought in Panaka and how it was through him that Vader found it.

Fantastic work.

CKa3KA

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, thanks. I'm really glad you liked the Prologue because it kinda surprised me the way I wrote it into this story.

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Missed that last post. DRL has been keeping me busy too. Looking forward to more.

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    upping for convenience's sake. I'm working on this really pretty hard.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "We have much to discuss, yes," Father reiterated quietly as he took his seat in the chair nearest her bed. "All these matters concern the future of Alderaan, but I wanted you to face these decisions first without the pressure of the planetary council."

And some things that must be discussed without public knowledge.

"You're thinking hard again," Mother chided with a bittersweet smile.

"When have I done anything else?" Leia retorted. "I have enough on my mind..."

"Then release it into this conversation," she suggested. "It may hurt one or all of us, but it will be of greater consequence to you if your understanding is hindered any further."

For the first time in too long, she allowed a slight smile. "I never thought I'd hear a member of the Royal House tell me to get something off my chest."

Her father did not look amused, but her mother didn't bother with stoic diplomacy.

"I know the feeling," Mother admitted.

Father sighed heavily, but did not attempt to disagree, only retrieved a datapad.

Is he deliberately ignoring me or trying to remind me that there is more important business at hand than my wounded pride?

It's not just my pride that's been injured and there are times when it feels like a killing blow if it can be called that.

"Obviously," he began, voice taking on a resigned tone, "there is no possible means to reinstate you as Alderaan's Senator. It is far too dangerous..."

Why, Father? Is it dangerous because of who I've always been or who I might become?

"...and we have no desire to keep your status at 'target' level. Your mother has been aiding Senator Crumehn in your absence..."

Unsurprising, uninspired. Necessary evil.

"...Filled the Thon seat in the House of Representatives, since the more liberal of Crumehn's staff has been dispersed to the far corners of Imperial Center bureaucracy."

Check. Filed for access without having to think about it. The advantages of spending so much time in committee.

"You're not listening, are you?" Mother interrupted her thoughts.

"She's doing what I taught her," Father observed wearily. "If we ask, she can supply the information, but she does not wish to make an emotional investment in it."

"Of course," Leia shot back. "I already am emotionally spent by just thinking about what to do next. Since I don't have to know everything immediately, I don't have to recall the briefing immediately."

"You do if you're to be crowned vicereine in two weeks time."

They were words that she had anticipated since she was five and therefore old enough to know what vicereine meant to her and the people of Alderaan.

"The people have always had a leader to take care of them. That leader has someone to help him. For me, it's your Mama. She's my vicereine, my best friend and my helper. When it's your turn, you will be the vicereine..."

"If the helper's the leader, who helps her?"

"Her Papa."

"Mmm, that's good."

"But they'll need you because you're my special daughter and you know how to help them."

There had even been a silly, sentimental time following the coronation of a neighboring king. For weeks, she couldn't be bothered with tasks and talks because she was 'planning her ascension.' It mostly consisted of making her dolls go to dressmakers and bakeries, but her mind was fixated on the idea of the 'someday' promised to her by birth.

Her primary intent in entering the Senate had been a need to prepare for the rigors of planetary government.

And now, she had no idea if she should look forward eagerly to this opportunity to lead or simply refuse the title.

She expected a smirk of bemusement from her mother, but when she glanced over, there was only grim resignation. Her father was likewise solemn.

"There's a snag there," Leia protested. "Several, in fact."

"Go on," Father prompted.

"'The ascendency is recognized by the planetary council only if completed by the legitimate heir to the throne of Alderaan.'"

"And you think you don't fit th

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Up. I did update this, for the record...

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow, Ish. That was some argument. Perfectly Leia.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Did I mention I love my Padawan? Poor thing runs around and makes sure she leaves a kind word when I'm looking pathetic. :) ::Hugs.:: I'm glad you liked the argument. It took soooooooooo long to get right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.