main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Nothing is Certain - Sequel to "Best of Us" - A/N May 1st, 2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by oldjedinurse, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    @};- Chapter Five

Success is somebody else's failure.
    ~ Ursula LeGuin ~

At the bottom of the stairs, Mara flattened her back against the right-hand wall. Extending her Force-sense, she felt ? nothing. No life at all.

Strange, Mara thought, before her mouth developed a cultivated and cocky sneer. If there are Yuuzhan Vong here, they?re in for a surprise.

On the other hand, if this place is full of ysalamiri, I?m going to kill Karrde for finding those things and advertising them to the galactic underworld.

Her eyes measured the corridor. A meter-and-a-half. Dry, fairly well-lit, pretty clean. Mara snickered. Bad guys with cleaner droids.

In a split second she drop-rolled across its width, landing on her feet with her back against the far wall. A quick visual confirmed the emptiness she?d sensed. Okay, Mara. Now what?

To her right, the hall continued for at least a hundred meters and was, as far as she could tell, doorless. Glancing to her left, a series of minor irregularities indicated there might be rooms or more hallways. No contest. Mara pushed off from the wall and moved steathily toward the first indentation in the wall.

As she reached the door, still with no sense of the cloaked being or anyone else, a burst of air tossed her famous red hair into a tangle that obstructed her vision. Mara pocketed her hold-out blaster just long enough to tie the heavy mass into a knot at the base of her neck. The air circulation continued to tickle smaller, looser hairs but that required no real effort to ignore.

Locating an almost invisible wall panel, Mara took a deep breath, and signalled the door to open. She led with her blaster while executing a lightening-fast spin to land facing yet another corridor. The difference stood fifty meters ahead, where the cloaked being who had drawn her here conversed with a group of blue-skinned Chiss.

They seemed oddly unconcerned as they turned slowly in her direction. No weapons were in sight, and apparently none were being drawn. Mara straightened, This is either going to be an interesting stand-off, or an enlightening conversation. She considered her continued lack of Force sense. They must have ysalamiri. They?re too confident. Mara brushed at another tickle on her neck.

Cursing under her breath, she reached up to scratch. It felt as if the place was full of those irritating little miska-flies that swarmed every evening on Myrkyr. It was the voice from behind her, however, that made a bigger impression.

?That?s far enough, Mara Jade.?

In that same instant, Mara felt a miniscule prick as the nanodroid injected her carotid artery. The last things she saw were that now-familiar cloak sweeping toward her, and a brief glimpse of calico fur on the face of her former prey.

The morning sun had warmed Jaina?s face enough to wake her. Squinting in the light, she allowed herself to feel its gentle comfort for a moment, before stretching and rolling over.

Jag was asleep in the chair next to her bed.

She studied the angles of his handsome face, the angry namesake scar that marked his forehead and colored his hair. He?s been so kind. He truly cares about me. Jaina sighed quietly. A girl would be crazy to turn you down. The chrono read 0529. Still early, she yawned and closed her eyes once again.

//The house was beautiful. Set on a hill, far back from the main road, it was full of exotic wood and old-fashioned, comfortable furnishings. Jaina carried a steaming caf as she walked from room to room in the promising light of early sunrise.

Her stomach suddenly flipped at a sound from upstairs. Whimpers became wailing. Her baby. Her baby, her little boy was crying. Jaina set down the caf and took the stairs two at a time.

There were three cribs in the room. She watched sinuous muscles in his back as he bent over the first in line, whispering fatherly assurances to quiet their baby

2. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Snag.

EDIT: And the plot thickens... Yay for Jaina starting to (hopefully) regain her memory and the Papas piloting the Falcon together.

3. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Oh no, Mara! I hope she doesn't end up like Jaina...that would be bad. Very bad.

At least the condition doesn't seem to be permanent. Jaina seems to be getting a memory or two back. And more bad-guy Chiss....should've seen that coming.

Great update, oldj.

4. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    the cloaked being who had drawn her here conversed with a group of blue-skinned Chiss.
    Chiss plotting again? *burns them with charrics and a lightsaber*

And Mara too... Oh dear...

Your evil... Well done! ;)

~Misha

5. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh, no, no, NO! Not also Mara! :_|

6. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    Woah!

Seriously and you call me evil??- you got Mara kidnapped!

Wow.. Jaina getting memories back!! yay!!

Great job OJN!!!

7. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
  8. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Whoa! My heart is racing.

On the other hand, if this place is full of ysalamiri, I?m going to kill Karrde for finding those things and advertising them to the galactic underworld.

Mara is wonderful. Her dry, sarcastic humor and her tracking skills from her EH days/Jedi training was so enjoyable for this *points to herself* Mara Jade fan. I really look forward to reading what has happen to her. You wouldn't be that cruel as to pull another Jaina, now would you, oldj? [face_batting] ;)

=D=

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Lure us in with Mara reaching her prey only for her to become the prey. Poor Luke, first his niece now his wife.

10. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    BF:

And the plot thickens... Yay for Jaina starting to (hopefully) regain her memory and the Papas piloting the Falcon together.
    :) Aw, I like the Papas together, too! Thanks for the "snag"!

Draco:

Oh no, Mara! I hope she doesn't end up like Jaina...that would be bad. Very bad.
    At least the condition doesn't seem to be permanent. Jaina seems to be getting a memory or two back. And more bad-guy Chiss....should've seen that coming.
    Great update, oldj.

[face_whistling] So I put one by you, huh? Those Chiss can be sneaky...
    As for Mara, I wonder if those guys know what they've gotten themselves into?

Misha:

Chiss plotting again? *burns them with charrics and a lightsaber*
    And Mara too... Oh dear...
    Your evil... Well done!

:eek: I'm getting an evil reputation! [face_evil_smile]

Golden_Jedi:

Oh, no, no, NO! Not also Mara!
    :( Sorry! But this is Mara!

goddess:

Woah!
    Seriously and you call me evil??- you got Mara kidnapped!
    Wow.. Jaina getting memories back!! yay!!
    Great job OJN!!!

[face_devil] Muwahahahahahaahah...Yeah, I can be evil, too! Thank you!

ccp:

:cool:

Miranda:

Whoa! My heart is racing.
    Mara is wonderful. Her dry, sarcastic humor and her tracking skills from her EH days/Jedi training was so enjoyable for this *points to herself* Mara Jade fan. I really look forward to reading what has happen to her. You wouldn't be that cruel as to pull another Jaina, now would you, oldj?

;) Actually, Mara is one of my very favorites. too - although I don't write her very often. Let's just say she doesn't make a very good prisoner. Thanks for the R&R!

RebelMom:

Lure us in with Mara reaching her prey only for her to become the prey. Poor Luke, first his niece now his wife.
    [face_worried] I know - I'm bad. But she did find her prey... As for Luke, I think these guys might have gone a bit too far, messing with Mara and her Farmboy.

Thanks everybody!

oldj

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    :eek:[face_worried]Not Mara!
    Does this family ever get a break...if it's not one thing, it's something else!

The difference stood fifty meters ahead, where the cloaked being who had drawn her here conversed with a group of blue-skinned Chiss.

The last things she saw were that now-familiar cloak sweeping toward her, and a brief glimpse of calico fur on the face of her former prey.

[face_thinking]Hmmm, interesting. I wonder...

Jania's getting memories back? That makes me happy!:)

Wonderful Chapter oldj!
    I can't wait to see what happens next!

12. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Wow? excellent work, oldj! Nice to see Jaina recalling things (at least I think that's what she's doing?) and reconnecting with Jag some more. Also intriguing about what happens to Mara, along with Soontir and Han flying together. :)

KT

13. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Well if it's not a Solo in trouble, it's a Skywalker.

They ought to change their names. I'm just saying.

At least this bad person we can see. I mean Mara can see.

Can't wait to find out who it is.

14. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    As if enough tragedy hadn't already befallen on this family, now Mara is missing and possibly injured. I have no doubts that the whole gang can't figure this one out.

It's nice to see that Jaina is starting to regain some of her memories, even if they are only fleeting feelings. Maybe she'll fall in love with Jag all over again even without her memory.

Great post! I really can't wait to see more of this.

15. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Aw, Jaina is starting to remember! YAY! [face_dancing]

Great update!

16. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Some good in that chapter and some bad.... good is Jaina starting to have some memories, and Han being able to fly, and bad is Mara getting in deep doo-doo. But at least Luke knows.

17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Wow. Good chapter.

Mara! (calico fur? a cape? alright, now am wondering who that guy is...) Luke! Find her soon!

Loved the Jaina/Jag mush and that Jaina's getting things back in bits and pieces.

Good post! :)

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    She finds him . . . but who is he??

Aww, I love that Jaina's trying really hard and she doesn't pull away from Jag :) She needed that dream :) And heck yeah, she's be crazy to turn him down!!

Wonderful job :)

Happy MLK day :)

19. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    *laughs hysterically*

wow, when i asked for jaina to get a memory or two back, i didn't really think you'd listen!

you're the greatest, oldj, and this story is awesome.

keep it up.

20. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    mavjade:

Not Mara!
    :eek: Yes, Mara. Ought to be fun...

Does this family ever get a break...if it's not one thing, it's something else!
    [face_whistling] Short answer? No.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder...
    :confused: I wonder what you're wondering...and wonder if you're right!

Jania's getting memories back? That makes me happy!
    [:D] It makes me happy, too!

Wonderful Chapter oldj! I can't wait to see what happens next!
    :) Thanks a lot!

K_T:

Wow? excellent work, oldj! Nice to see Jaina recalling things (at least I think that's what she's doing?) and reconnecting with Jag some more. Also intriguing about what happens to Mara, along with Soontir and Han flying together.
    :cool: Thanks, K_T! Glad you like!

Lola64:

Well if it's not a Solo in trouble, it's a Skywalker.
    They ought to change their names. I'm just saying.
    At least this bad person we can see. I mean Mara can see.
    Can't wait to find out who it is.

o_O Now that's the truth! Maybe they could change their names to, um, I dunno, Antilles? Might be safer...
    What would you say if I told you that you already know who the cloaked one is? [face_devil]

Wynssa:

As if enough tragedy hadn't already befallen on this family, now Mara is missing and possibly injured. I have no doubts that the whole gang can't figure this one out.
    It's nice to see that Jaina is starting to regain some of her memories, even if they are only fleeting feelings. Maybe she'll fall in love with Jag all over again even without her memory.
    Great post! I really can't wait to see more of this.

[face_love] Ooh! Falling in love with Jag all over again. What a lovely thought...
    Thanks, Wyn. I'm please you like it.

Fels:

Aw, Jaina is starting to remember! YAY! Great update!
    [face_batting] Yeah, her condition's changing - that's for sure. Thanks a lot!

PT:

Some good in that chapter and some bad.... good is Jaina starting to have some memories, and Han being able to fly, and bad is Mara getting
    in deep doo-doo. But at least Luke knows.

[face_skull] Well, hey, somebody's got to be in the poodoo! This is SW! [face_laugh] Still, I felt it was important to give some positives... Thanks for the R&R!

Daena:

Wow. Good chapter. Mara! (calico fur? a cape? alright, now am wondering who that guy is...) Luke! Find her soon!
    [face_whistling] Its a riddle: What SW beings have calico fur? O:) And, Luke? He's not going to leave any stone unturned 'til he finds his Mara.

Loved the Jaina/Jag mush and that Jaina's getting things back in bits and pieces.
    ;) Small steps forward... Thanks a lot, Daena!

Nat:

She finds him . . . but who is he??
    [face_thinking] Oh, you already know. Muwahahahaahaha!

Aww, I love that Jaina's trying really hard and she doesn't pull away from Jag She needed that dream And heck yeah, she's be crazy to turn him down!
    [face_love] Well, I certainly think so! And she is trying, isn't she? :)

Wonderful job
    :D Thanks so much, Nat.

Happy MLK day
    [face_flag] I should be saying that to you! 'Fraid its not a Canadian holiday...although we respect all that Mr. King did.

aurra:

*laughs hysterically* wow, when i asked for jaina to get a memory or two back, i didn't really think you'd listen!
    you're the greatest, oldj, and this story is awesome. keep it up.

[face_laugh] Oh, yes! I do listen. You might be surprised how much! Thanks - glad you're enjoying yourself!

oldj

21. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003

[face_laugh]

Cursing under her breath, she reached up to scratch. It felt as if the place was full of those irritating little miska-flies that swarmed every evening on Myrkyr. It was the voice from behind her, however, that made a bigger impression.
    ?That?s far enough, Mara Jade.?
    In that same instant, Mara felt a miniscule prick as the nanodroid injected her carotid artery. The last things she saw were that now-familiar cloak sweeping toward her, and a brief glimpse of calico fur on the face of her former prey.

Oh, no! Mara's going to have amnesia now too :_|

Her breathing steadied. ?Jag??
    ?Yes.?
    ?Tell me about our house.?

Yay! She's remembering [face_dancing]

?Luke?? Leia stretched out to her twin. He was a sea of worry. Jaina? she gasped.
    No, Luke responded. Its Mara. She?s disappeared.

Just the Ysalamiri bubble, right? Right? [face_worried]

Another terrific post, oldj :D Very suspensful, nice use of dramatic tension. I hope Mara won't end up with the same problem as Jaina... or worse :( I'm glad to see some things are beginning to come back to Jaina though.

Really enjoyed it, looking forward to more :)

22. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Nooooo! Don't hurt Mara. :_|

Anyways, fabulous post! I love that Jaina remembered something ... [face_love]

23. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    YK:

Oh, no! Mara's going to have amnesia now too
    :eek: OMG! Really? I didn't know that! :p [face_thinking] You never know...

Yay! She's remembering
    @};- We all certainly hope so!

Just the Ysalamiri bubble, right? Right?
    [face_whistling] Um, okay... [face_not_talking]

Another terrific post, oldj Very suspensful, nice use of dramatic tension. I hope Mara won't end up with the same problem as Jaina... or worse I'm glad to see some things are beginning to come back to Jaina though.
    Really enjoyed it, looking forward to more

[:D] Thanks, YK. You're always way too kind...I think this one's a bit slow, so I'm going to try to pick up the pace! You know, I think I'm better at viggies than epics - at least I've learned something here!

Myra:

Nooooo! Don't hurt Mara.
    [face_worried] Hurt Mara? If those guys hurt Mara, there's going to be soooooooo much trouble!

Anyways, fabulous post! I love that Jaina remembered something ...
    :D Thanks, Myra. I had to give Jaina fans a bit of hope...

oldj

24. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    You just had to have two of the most powerful women in the universe (hmm. me with that opinion, imagine that :p) become amnesiacs.

[face_shame_on_you][face_shame_on_you]

S.

25. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Ah, but just imagine how ticked off they're going to be...such a deep dramatic well to drink from!

Thanks, skywalker!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.