main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion November is Coming...and so is NaNoWriMo!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    November is National Novel Writing Month, and it is just around the corner. If you are new to this, check out the official site here. Basically, the idea is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month.
    How It Works

If you are planning on doing this, let us know here and I'll add your name to the participant list! (I'm going to give it a go again but I am so not ready..)

Participants

LAJ_FETT (LAJ_Fett on the NaNo site) - 50,168
    Admiral Volshe -50,177
    mavjade - 13,047
    Jedi_Lover - 50,176
    ViariSkywalker (invisiblesun) - 26,164
    my kind of scum (C.C. Russell) - 50,392
    SabyneAmberle
    whiskers - 50,019
    Master_Lok - 1,009
    gracesonnet (sonnet2005)

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I tried last year. While it got me out of my comfort zone, a place that screamed "DON'T WRITE, YOU'LL EMBARRASS YOURSELF", it resulted in the earlier chapters of my first epic being considerably worse than the rest of the story. :p The word race six months later was different, because it happened at the time when I was actually inspired.

So, yeah, this year I'll go by what somebody who is occasionally smarter than me once said...

For me, art has never been something done out of a sense of duty.

I'm here to cheer for everybody else, though. [face_cow]

3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm going for it this year!!

I'll double check my username, then edit this post. I think it's the same!

EDIT: admiralvolshe is my username. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This will be the first year I haven't been traveling during NaNo in a long time, so I'm going to give it a go again this year.

I've got a newish idea on how to work on a story I've been thinking about/working on for many years (and was part of my only win of NaNo) so I hope that will give my muse a kick in the pants. I'm hoping to maybe go to some write ins in NY, that's how I found my closest friends in Boston when I first moved there.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I did it a couple years ago and got about half way through before I had an emotional breakdown. I was sacrificing working on my fics to get in my quota of words which made me feel terrible since I wasn't working on my fics even though I told myself that I wasn't going to work on them. So I started to update/work on one of my fics for breaks but then my word count for NaNoWriMo dropped and I was hit by an emotional tidal wave of stress, panic and despair to the point I dropped out to save my emotional sanity.

Part of the problem might have been the medication I was taking at the time. I have to health care professionals some of the emotions I was feeling and I know for sure one of them said it was making me psychotic.

Either way it was mildly traumatic for me to have the meltdown so I am leery of doing it again with the amount of fics I have that are waiting to get updates and be completed.

Good luck though to those embarking on challenge.

Sent from my iPadd from another galaxy using Tapatalk

leiamoody likes this.
  6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I guess it's kinda cheating, but I would have totally counted the fic writing toward my NaNo word count. Though since nothing is actually at stake, I don't think anything other than typing the same word 50K times is actually cheating. I figure anything I write in November counts! (And even the official NaNo site has a section for NaNo Rebels, for people who aren't following 'the rules'.)

But I can see how your experience Lady_Misty would make it not worth it, I think I would feel the same. [:D]

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We did that last year, fics counted.

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, fanfics have always counted (or at least as long as I can remember), there's a whole section on the NaNo forums for fanfic, but in theory you are 'supposed' to work on only one thing. But no one is very strict on the 'rules', even the official NaNo people since it's only a competition with yourself. One of the ML's in Boston did a series of short stories a few years ago, none of them were connected, but he wrote 50K words in November.

I forgot to say my user name is also mavjade on the NaNo site, so feel free to buddy me! :D
    As I was looking at the NaNo site last night, I realised this is the 8 year I've done NaNo and I've only won once. [face_blush]

9. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't won, but I have gotten really close. :p

From 2009-2012 (I think) I went by a different name, though. I haven't won with that name either.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I just checked...I stopped at 20 000 and realised that I am damaging my story. I think I only got over 50K in April or May.

And now I remembered that the unfortunate NaNoWriMo chapters need a rewrite. Ugh.

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I've done it for the last three years, but I don't know if I have the time this year. I may try, but I doubt I will complete it. I'll try though...maybe. Ack! I will say "Yes" for now.

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm actually going on holidays at the beginning of November so won't be participating this year.

Good luck to everyone, though!

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Started thinking about what to do this year. Last year's story had a tangent line only mentioned so I might flesh that out. Not sure if I can get 50k out of it tho.
    Anyone else know what they are doing?

14. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    A dystopian high fantasy mashup, along with my fanfics. My goal is just 50k in total.
    If anyone wants to add me still, I have the book cover up on the NaNo site.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Tried NANO in 2013 - failed horrifically, though I had so much fun and it really seemed to help me just write with no worries of editing until the month was over. Every year I want to do it so badly, but then I look at all my assignments and mid-terms and final papers due in November AND I want to cry (like I did last night).

Sadly, even though I really want to complete parts 2 and 3 (and even possibly explore the possibility of a part 4) of my current fic, I don't see myself forsaking my sanity to do it with my current school-workload. BUT maybe I'll see how insane I'm feeling on October 31st.

However, if you are on the fence, I suggest just doing it. There is no shame in failing - it just means you were a smart person and decided to pick your sanity over writing 50,000 words in a month. But no one but you will know that half your word count was actually your paper you wrote in November on Chinese-Cuban relations in the 1980s.

[​IMG]

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a week to go now. I have a rough idea what I'm doing but that's about it. How about you?

17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have no idea what to write and now I really doubt I will have any time to write. :(

18. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm in! I go by invisiblesun on the NaNo site. No idea how I'm going to manage this year, but I'll try. :)

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The folks in the US luck out this year - US clocks go back the morning of November 1 so they get an extra hour to NaNo!

jcgoble3, mavjade and Chyntuck like this.
  20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I have a vague idea of what I'm working on, but the plot in my head at the moment is a little thin. It's something I've worked on before, but didn't really work, so I'm changing it to a YA novel and probably going 1st person.

I haven't done any prep so I guess I'm going to be pantsing it again this year... like always. One of these days I will learn to outline!

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've been doing some research and jotting down ideas, character names, etc.

22. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'll be in again this year, but I'll be "cheating" again as I'm not planning on working on a novel. I'm currently editing a collection of short stories that I would like to shop around to publishers if I can get it to a point where I'm happy with it. So my plan is to work on rewrites of some things in that manuscript as well as writing a few new stories. Much of what I have right now consists of very short flash and micro fiction pieces, so I would like to get some longer stories to balance it out.

Other than that, I'll just be pushing for word count in the hopes that I come up with some unexpected worthwhile writing. I try not to stress out too much about *what* I'm writing in November - just try and get a lot of pieces that I can revise and expand on the rest of the year. A couple bits from my cheating last year ended up getting published this past year, so hopefully this year will go as well.

Master_Lok, mavjade , Exeter and 3 others like this.
  23. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    It's time for us in EST!! Good luck everyone! :D

my kind of scum likes this.
  24. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I just dusted off my NaNo account, so I'm jumping in as well!

My ID over there is SabyneAmberle, same as here. :D

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Added you up top.

As in past years, if you post your word count I'll update the first post. I made it to 1815 today. Going to try to average 2000/day to get a bit of padding in so I can take the occasional day off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.