main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Now that C4 is over...lessons learned

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Lufta Shif, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I would like to ask a question in return.

If FF wanted a big party, why didn't someone step up and plan it?

I'm not being mean, I'm asking an honest question. There is a complaint that FF wasn't invited to the 501st party and now a complaint that the RL Mixer was too "RL-oriented" (which I had already warned people of in the thread). Why not get a committee together to plan for a big FanForce Mixer/Dinner/Whatever for Celebration V? I'd certainly come.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Wasn't a complaint, and like I said, its moreso my own expectations on it, was just saying since a couple people had raised comments on the RL mixer, and I don't know if they were FF only members as well, which is why I added the comment that given it was opened up to FF, my own personal expectation had been that, while I knew it would still be RL-centric, that there would have been less of a pure fly-on-the-wall feel to it from the FF only perspective, with it being called, for example "RL/FF mixer" in the threads, and the clarification came post-signups and agreeing to go.
    Anyway, I'm just making the comment at a speculation as to why there are posts on here that are being critical of it. I'd not have mentioned anything re: it on here till it became more of a discussion.

3. e-j

e-j Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    That's good advice for everybody. ;)

I learnt:
    SW conventions are a lot of fun.
    I should remember to apply sunscreen before sitting in queues outside.
    I should've lined up earlier for events that really mattered to me.

4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    lovelucas posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    with George not even bothering to attend C4 (he was NOT filming Indy 4, he was at the Monte Carlo race in Monaco)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really?!?

yep: check it out -
    http://formula1.about.com/od/paddocklife/ig/Monaco-Grand-Prix-Paddock-Life/George-Lucas-in-Monaco.htm

or -
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topics/George+Lucas

George, we thought we knew you.

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    A Fan Force/TFN party was in the works and a room had been reserved, but because there were other things going on that night (RL Mixer and 501st party), the plan was dropped to avoid confrontation. Made sense at the time, but in the end it would have been best just to go ahead with our own.

6. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Wait, I'm confused....is there some reason why George Lucas shouldn't be "allowed" to go off somewheres and enjoy himself with his loved ones? Some reason why perhaps he should be denying himself the sort of pursuits that he's of course fairly and justly earned, the time off and the bit o' relaxation, and the pure and simple *fun* in whatever form or fashion he likes it....some reason, in other words, why even or perhaps *especially* he does not deserve to have his own thing, on his own time, to do as *he* most likes....as *anyone* has the right to, and the expectation of....? He *does* have the right to it, to have fun and to do his own thing, to get away and to enjoy himself away from the demands of work and whatever else, doesn't he? Perhaps especially since the demands and rigors of *his* particular work are rather more pressing and sometimes-stressful than most.... o_O In other words, yes....so he wasn't there at CIV....*why*, though, did he supposedly "need" to be? *bemused*
    He, after all, has already done *far* more than enough for us, a thousand countless times over in fact-!....he's created for us this entire marvellous, vivid, astonishing and beautiful, moving and endlessly compelling tapestry of a Saga from start to finish, and now it finally *is* well-and-truly finished, too, for all that....he's made of it just what he most wants it to be, it's the full story that he always wanted told and now it has been, and with that he's obviously satisfied and happy, and he can after a fashion even put it "behind" him. :) He has given us *so* very, very much, then, you see - years upon *years* of his life devoted to the telling of this Saga we all know and love so well, and now of course it *has* been....he's given us a whole universe and *so* much more besides, and now it's well-and-truly, finally complete....that was all he wanted to do, and now he's done it, and with that he's satisfied. It's a chapter in his life "closed", after a fashion....
    It is, then, I think even something he can move on from happily, if that's indeed his wish....because he's *more* than earned it, then, in my book, he's *plenty* well earned any time off, rest, relaxation or fun or just time away in general that ever he might choose to take....that's his *right*, after all. And so, then, honestly - why *should* he have come to CIV in the first place? He's already given us the whole Saga from start to finish, he gave *us* Star Wars, so clearly he "owes" us absolutely *nothing* more, not a thing, understand....rather, it's *we* who owe him the serious debt of gratitude, that's what, for what he's given us! :D And, honestly....what of it, then, if he was at the Grand Prix in Monaco....with his *loved* ones, too, even more to the point? I think he's full well entitled to that, as anyone would be, if 'twas their druthers and their liking! Again, he's *more* than earned it, far as I'm concerned. :)
    Besides, hey, he's already got plenty enough still on his plate, it seems to me, what with the two SW TV series, one animated and one live-action, both forthcoming over the next few years....also, there's the return of the good Dr. Jones, can't be forgettin' that, clearly ;) - so suffice it to say, then, he's already got enough on his mind, plenty more than enough to tend to....a busy, busy man he most assuredly is, him and his team, so why *shouldn't* he have some fun, some time away, to enjoy what he happens to like, what *he* wants to? And what of it, then, if even that keeps him from at

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    E-j, I think you're agreeing with that being advice from a biased stance.

And so that mean you'll be back for the next one?

8. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I also agree that neither George, nor anyone else that worked on Star Wars, didn't really have an obligation to go to C4. If I said George and the others indeed owed their presence, I'd be a total hypercrite since I ditched TWO family functions just so I could visit C4 Friday through Monday (a wedding on Friday and a Memorial weekend BBQ on Sunday). To be fair though, at least I was "excused" from attending those functions. :p

9. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I didn't interpret anyone's postings as saying he was not "allowed". I think they were expressing disappointment. In my opinion the guest list was a little barren for the celebration of the 30th anniversary of Star Wars. LFL & GenCon invited everyone to a party but it feels like the guest of honor didn't show.

Lesson I learned....If CV is held in LA, don't purchase a ticket & make hotel arrangements so early. I want to leave myself the option of deciding not to attend without suffering financial penalties. I enjoyed my trip overall since I spent 3 weeks touring Southern California ending in Vegas but I'm not sure I'd go back to LA. It depends on how far along LA LIVE gets. I think I read in one timeline the hotel is scheduled to be finished in 2010. I'd love a different city so I can build a vacation around my trip.

10. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    To expand on what Dani said, there were initial quotes and stuff done way back at the end of last year, but the cost-return back then when things were still up in the air was not worth the effort.

Closer on, someone who has experience in doing this for their job made enquiries to holding a JC/FF one. But by the time they had that, the 501st had their set for Thursday, the Opening Ceremonies were set for Friday, there was still an expectation that there would be the official "Celebration at Celebration" style one on Saturday along with a small informal gathering already organised for current and former FF staff. When the RL announced their on the Sunday night and also allowed FF members to come along, it essentially left Monday, when a few people were already leaving, so it was shelved so people didn't have to choose one group/event over another.

11. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Just to add to this discussion, I had made inquiries very early on for a FF party. Every hotel that I was dealing with was holding all space, perhaps for GenCon. And since I couldn't give them a definite date (since there was no sign of a schedule), it was impossible for the hotel staff (and me) to secure anything. Of course, everything opened up right before the convention, but by then it was too late.

Plus the deposits required for these little soirées can be prohibitive. And to keep it to a price that people can afford, while providing a nice environment -- that can be dicey. Then there was the little problem of distance.... the stars just did not align for this one.

12. MxPxRobbie

MxPxRobbie Columbia, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    I learned not to stay so far away from the convention center. 10 minutes in Nashville isn't 10 minutes in LA. Also, I learned that nobody eats in downtown LA. There was no place to get a bite besides the convention center. I think maybe if the next one is in LA, I won't go. It all depends though. I wasn't too impressed with Los Angeles.

13. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    No place to eat? Within a 2 block radius of the CC, there was an IHOP, Denny's (which obviously will be open for C5 if held in LA), a small market called Famima, a Mexican food place, and two pizzerias. Not counting the other fast food places (and a restaurant called Grinder) that were a short 15 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) down the block from the CC.

14. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Plus there was a Subway and a pizza place and a sit-down bar/restaurant between Fig. and Flower on... 7th? And a block up from that, there was shopping and restaurants at Macy's Plaza. There were lots of places to eat that weren't very expensive at all. The shuttle buses weren't checking for hotel keys, so anyone could have gotten on to reach these places. The #1 route went closest to the IHOP and restaurants I just mentioned.

I made it a point to take a bit of time to scout the area around my hotel on foot and since I ended up walking to the convention center more often then not, I also found a lot of places that I may not have spotted had I been driving or riding the bus. With snacks brought from home, I completely avoided buying food at the convention center and just bought bottled sodas and water. Those I tried to get from the vending machines close to the business center because they were least expensive there. So a bit of footwork and prep can find a lot of things and save a lot of money.

15. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    Oh please, he's nothing without the fans carrying out the love of SW year after year since 1977. That goes for toys, collectables, let alone the money spent by fans seeing the movies about 10 times each in the theaters and on and on...
    Yes, he should have been obligated to do more, I'm sorry but the guest list, activities ect were sparse for a 30TH ANNIVERSARY Just look at the other conventions like SciFi and yes Star Trek!
    I had a great time because of the costuming ect! So the guest appearance list didn't affect me. But I thought it was a cheap convention but not for the fans!

16. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    ....oh, and another thing I think it's quite safe to say I learned at CIV, and I'd wager that I'm not alone in this either ;) - that it's actually quite easy to burn goodness only knows how many calories and just *all* sorts of energy and whatnot, and I mean to ree-hee-*heally* get a good and thorough workout, there in the midst of Celebration, in gleefully darting all around, scarpering every which way, skillfully threading one's way through the crowds and dashing like mad from one must-see panel or exhibit to the next....heck, I've no idea exactly how many calories I must've burned in so doing, or how many kilometres I walked and walked there (and I'm used to strolling all about, it's how I get around considering that I don't yet drive, so what else am I gonna do, right? :) ) - but I've the feeling that it was likely rather a *lot*, putting it mildly.... All the more reason why in retrospect I see that I probably should have, um, been taking the time to snack more whilst I was on the run....

Yes, bad, *bad* Dawn, I know.... *self spank* ....but in some ways I do feel that I must've managed that whole time to go pretty much on excitement and adrenaline, that it basically kept me up and hoppin', good and peppy if all else failed, because after all there was simply *so* very, very overwhelmingly much to see and do and take part in that I couldn't bear to miss even a single millisecond of it....aaahhh, and really, now, who knows but what SW is like manna and food for the *soul* anyway, so satiate that hunger first and then everything else will follow. If you know what I mean. ;) Of course, yes, next time 'round I'll be better about that....mmmmmm, I loves me trail mix.... ;) *chuckles* But, ye-es, in any case, I suppose this too was very much a lesson I learned through being, and through doing....that perhaps there's no better way to get and stay fit and energetically thriving than in just trying to keep up at a SW convention....that, yes, and - adrenaline, baby, as fine a fuel as any other! :D

Dawn.

17. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    I learned that Midwest Airlines has the most comfortable seats you'll ever find in Coach class. They might have cost a little more than the well known "Bargain" airlines, but they cost way less than 1st class on any airline.

-Doc

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Jetblue should still be the airline of choice for anyone flying out of a major city. Only downside is their flights are usually full and you don't get as much room to sprawl out as you would on a flight with one of the less successful airlines. :p

We definitely need to look into an inexpensive venue for an official JC/FF party next time. The Bonaventure seems to have been one enormous rip-off, judging by the amount they charged the RL people. If the cost per person gets too high, no one will come. I wonder if we could look into renting a regular suite at one of the hotels.

19. e-j

e-j Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    Biased? Never.

Don't know yet - C4 was great, but the flight to the US is so expensive!!

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    e-j, the answer is yes. Its going to go down Kamino-style... you'll be expected even if you don't realise it.

21. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    And yet....first and foremost, the point still remains - and I think it's an incontrivertible and unquestionable one too :) - that were it not for Papa GL and *his* imagination, his desire to create a galaxy far, far away unlike anything else we'd ever before seen, if it weren't for his desire to not only make his own movies, *his* way, and to do so as best as he possibly could and in so doing also forever revolutionize the entire film industry....were it not for *him* and his visionary thinking, then, his thoroughness and attention to detail, his determination to complete the whole of the Saga and to do it justice, to truly do it right, as *he* as its creator most of all saw fit....were it not for *him* and his mind and imagination, his will, then....the fans would have *nothing*, no merchandise, no collectibles....nada, zip, zilch. We'd have *none* of it were it not for him creating SW, for himself, for all of us! We have everything we do in this regard because of him, because *he's* the Maker. :)

And so-o, then, yes, suffice it to say....it seems mighty clear to me that we really *do* owe him, and a serious debt of gratitude and appreciation as it is, besides....he doesn't owe us anything further, not one whit, yet still he's giving us even more in the form of two forthcoming TV series, and more video games to be released and what have you....the Saga continues, then, in one form or another, and it's all because of *him*, because Papa GL came up with the idea in the first place all those years ago, and because he stuck to his proverbial guns, and was bound and determined to tell his story, *his* way. We have everything that we do now, in our GFFA, because he created for us the Saga, and now it lives and thrives and endures because *he* was the one who came up with it in the first place. He owes us nothing, and we as the fans who *are* just that because of his ideas and imagination, thus owe him *everything*, and I for one will never forget it....hence the gratitude, appreciation and all. :D [face_love]

Dawn.

22. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    He's certainly entitled, and I didn't particularly care one way or the other if he was there, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bit miffed at this particular revelation as to where he was. It doesn't seem right for him to have said he was in England working on Indy when apparently neither was entirely true... but white lies aside... I can't speak for the man, but I can quote something I heard Carrie Fisher say to a fan just ahead of me who expressed gratitude for her presence: "Well of course; it's Star Wars' thirtieth birthday, where else would I be???"

23. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    You speak the truth. Everyone-please don't use US Airways/America West. Ever. We used them and because of *their* connection error we ended up rerouted and stuck in a Las Vegas airport for 13 hours. Did we get a free ticket out of it? Nope, just a couple stingy meal vouchers that were limited in use. Oh, also after walking all the way across the airport on the return flight they changed the gates on us (back to the one we had just left!). They also happen to be the only airlines I know of that don't do unaccompanied minors.

They have people soliciting their credit card everywhere-in the airport, on the airlines, with your beverage service. Heck, they even used my daughter to try to get us to sign up.

Dark Lady Mara-how much did the Figueroa cost per night? It seems like everyone was staying there and talking about it.

24. JediXtine

JediXtine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2006
    This is not always true, the seats on United have much less legroom in the back portion of coach than they do in the front of coach. They do offer you an upgrade to the 'more legroom seats' in Coach. At least this was my experience flying from Heathrow to Dulles last summer. Also-fly Lufthansa, best airline EVER! They feed you real food, give you all the alcoholic beverages you want for free. Every two hours they were feeding us, it was great!

What I will definitely do: stay at a hotel closer to a metro station or one with more dining options. We stayed at The New Otani, which was actually a great hotel, really nice and the price was awesome, but we were a bit of a walk from the nearest metro station, and it's pretty desolate around there at night. I'm used to NYC, so LA was definitely different for me, but I enjoyed it. I will also definitely volunteer for Official Pix again, it was cool, but I did miss both the costume pageants because of volunteering and I would have liked to see them. Hopefully they could release a schedule a little bit farther in advance!

25. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    The Fig cost me 134 a night plus tax. This was the rate I locked in a year before the convention - just as it was announced it would be in LA.

The Fig was good, but I think I will try for the Holiday Inn next time. Why? A little closer, better AC and humidity control (no bathroom vents equals steamy hot rooms after showers and very frizzy hair), more comfort (the Fig had no alarm clocks, irons, ironing boards in the rooms - at least mine did not). The Fig bar and pool scene, however, was awesome! So were all the great folks I met there!

Best of both worlds: Stay at the HI, but party at the Fig.

Lufta Shif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.