main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Now that it's over which do you like better, the Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy? (read: hell)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 25, 2019.

?

The Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy?

1. Sequel Trilogy

43.8%
  2. Prequel Trilogy

56.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That... can be arranged but are you sure?[face_devil]

As to the main Q - Prequels - Clone Wars, double-bladed sabers, Qui-gon Jinn and Duel of the Fates.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  2. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Prequel trilogy.

I have no expectations for the sequel trilogy and it was still very disappointing. It just seemed like they had no idea that the movies were supposed to go together and... I think in a few years people might look at this like the hobbit trilogy: they didn’t need 3 movies to tell the story they told.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sequels. They don't hit the highs of the prequels (RotS) but they also don't go as bad as its lows (AotC).

But I like them both a ton.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The prequels lack an original character as endearing as Babu Frik.

Darth__Lobot, Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    They're all bad but I chose the sequels because the prequels were directed by a tennis ball.

poor yorick likes this.
  6. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    There was a period of months in 2014/2015 when I thought about/ posted about/ speculated about the sequel trilogy on a daily basis.

They screwed it up so bad that not only have I not seen Episode IX, I don’t even *care* that I haven’t seen it.

Darth__Lobot, Master_Lok and yodasbum like this.
  7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Trash Star Wars is still better than no Star Wars. So I’ve lightened up my mood and just go in looking for fun. I’m happier in spite of the absolute garbage shooting into my eyes.

Darth__Lobot and poor yorick like this.
  8. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Anakin surfs on a cow.

Prequels.

9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    During my initial viewings, I generally enjoyed TPM, liked 2/3rds of ATOC, and enjoyed ROTS. From the ST, I only enjoyed TLJ in my first viewing. The other 2 didn't work for me.

My opinion today:

6 out of 10 for TPM. It has some big flaws, but watchable.
    5/10 ATOC. Only the middle 3rd of it doesn't bore me.
    8.5/10 ROTS. I still like this one a great deal, and it's nice that I can marathon ROTS, R1, and the entire OT, and enjoy mostly all 5 films straight.

3/10 TFA. I like original stories. The reboot factor made it too uncannily familiar and also a strange continuation of the OT storyline
    6/10 TLJ. I like the Rey/Kylo dynamic and Luke on Crait, but the other 2 story lines bore me (Canto Bight & the slow space chase), so it keeps losing and regaining my interest throughout.
    3/10 ROS. A rushed video game quest plot with an over-the-top dumbed-down retread of ROTJ's conclusion tacked on at the end.

What's kind of funny is that people complained about Lucas "raping" their childhoods with the PT, but really the PT only retconned trivial aspects of the OT. On the other hand, the ST really did totally change aspects of the OT radically and for the worse.

It diminished Vader's sacrifice, it made the Rebellion's ROTJ victory mostly meaningless, it ignored the importance of enduring and completing the hero's journey, it undermined Lucas's vision of the Force and altered it inconsistent and silly ways, and it replaced the saga's poignant ending where Luke's refusal to fight brings compassion and humanity back to his father with Rey making Palpatine go all explodey.

If the OT is Star Wars at its best, then ultimately the ST did far more to damage its legacy than the PT ever did, and that alone makes the ST the inferior trilogy.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    On the old boards I made a sock named Rump Ranger who used that image as an avatar. Pretty sure I was banned after one post but damn, I sure did think that was funny.

In many ways I will always be twelve years old.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Why would that have been bannable? Seems pretty harmless to me... [face_rofl]

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Those were the old days. He probably said 'WTF'.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Quoted in case anybody needs any more proof that Star Wars fans are worthless film critics.

harpua and Diggy like this.
  14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Or posted a picture of a bee next to an s

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It might have been due to the user name - it's derogatory slang for a homosexual male. (Thank you Google).

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    PT edges out but just barely.

“This is where the fun begins.”

Potential: PT by a long shot.
    Respect for OT characters: PT by a long shot, although TROS did do better on this front than TFA or TLJ.
    Dialogue: ST by a long shot.
    Introduction of new characters: PT has a slight edge due to Qui-Gon and Mace and Dooku, but I did enjoy Finn and Poe and Zorri and Jannah.
    Heroes: Again, slight edge to PT.
    Villains: PT. Good God. The PT.
    World building: About equal.

anakinfan goes to the theater more than once: TPM, AOTC, TFA, possibly TROS.
    anakinfan is tempted to bury the Blu-Ray in the cat box: ROTS, TLJ

So...about equal.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No way!!! Wow, you really learn something every day on this here internet! :eek:

This would probably be a good time to point out I have done film writing professionally. [face_dancing]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Master_Lok and Darth Nerdling like this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    What didn't you like about ROTS? For me, the first half of that film was the weakest, although it was considerably better (opera scene/story of Darth Plagueis the Wise and later).

19. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The PT and it isn’t even close. There are only three films of the franchise I dislike, all of which make up the ST.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    One area the ST has over the PT: No Jar Jar. :p

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I feel the opposite; I liked the first half of ROTS and disliked everything after the opera scene.

It made me crazy that Anakin was so damn stupid.

“I don’t actually know how to use midichlorians to create life, but if you kill all your friends and a bunch of kids, there is a chance that we can figure it out. “

“I know your medical droid says you’re fine and the pregnancy is going well but my nightmares say something different so I’m going to listen to dreams and an old guy blowing sunshine up my ass instead of actual knowledge.”

“I just murdered a bunch of innocent people because that act is supposed to keep you alive, and to further ensure that you stay alive, I’m going to strangle you.”

I also hated Wilting Flower Padme. At best they should have left the Seeds of the Rebellion scenes in the film.

I get that it is supposed to be a tragedy and Greek tragedies aren’t my thing; it is a visually well done movie.

I would have just preferred Palpatine having Padme killed and framing the Jedi for it (even framing them for “letting” her die), causing him to seek revenge.

22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, I hate how they changed Padme's character. And your suggestion about Palpatine framing the Jedi for letting her die is a good one and much more plausible.

Padme went from the bad*** character from TPM to AOTC to wringing her hands. I would almost have preferred that she wasn't so far along in her pregnancy in the film. Maybe she finds out and is about to tell Anakin, but refrains when she sees how dark he's becoming.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've been saying since tfa that one thing the sequel trilogy could possibly accomplish is making people think the prequels weren't that bad.

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Many of us thought they were excellent all along. ;)

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin not knowing Padme's pregnant would certainly have matched the ROTJ novelisation better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.