main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Now that it's over which do you like better, the Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy? (read: hell)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 25, 2019.

?

The Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy?

1. Sequel Trilogy

43.8%
  2. Prequel Trilogy

56.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh don't be sorry. i enjoy hating things almost as much as i enjoy liking things. ;):)[face_party][face_dancing]

Darth__Lobot, 3sm1r and Diggy like this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Natalie Portman was awful in the prequels. Just her voice alone - I don't know how she did it. Can a voice be off-key by itself? It was just grating. She brought a new meaning to the phrase "flat acting".

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That's your opinion @SuperWatto

Personally I'm soooooo glad she was cast. Isn't she the only Academy Award-winning actor in the prequel trilogy?

Felicia likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    only until someone gives jake lloyd another chance!

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I thought you were taking the piss. But I wasn't fully sure. Glad you confirmed

6. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I know not everyone cares about the EU, but for a lot of us the DT also has that built-in “30 years of accumulated narrative material nullified just so this can exist” factor working against it.

Really, the DT, and TLJ in particular, fundamentally misunderstands what Star Wars is. It’s practically an act of vandalism. In 2015 a massive “biography” of Star Wars—How Star Wars Conquered The Galaxy—was published, and one of the most interesting parts of it was chronicling ESB’s development. Sci-fi author Leigh Brackett wrote the original screenplay and it had a bit where, when Han is trying to seduce Leia, uses some heavy-handed line, but then bursts out laughing in spite of himself and says “I’m sorry, that’s too much. Even for me.” The author of the book notes that this line showed Brackett fundamentally misunderstood Star Wars—“part of its appeal was being deadpan earnest.” Bingo.Star Wars is a fantasy—the Force, lightsabers, Jedi—and it apologizes for none of it. For two hours, you get to go beyond the Veil to a world where yes, Virginia, there is a Luke Skywalker. “Through the Force, things you will see, other places.” Places where farmboys meet old wizards and discover a great destiny awaiting them. Star Wars wasn’t real—it was realer than real; a collective myth you shared with other people. Sure, you eventually outgrew the toys, had to get a job, start paying the bills, and confront the reality that, well, life pretty much sucks most of the time. And one day, you would get find yourself having gotten old, fat, useless, and you would wither away and die. But through it all, you could find solace in the fact that, when you needed him, Luke Skywalker would be out there in that galaxy far, far, away.

But no. You were a fool to believe that Luke Skywalker could ever be a Guardian of Peace and Justice in the New Republic, wielding an elegant weapon. You were a fool to believe it, because even Luke Skywalker himself didn’t believe it. You thought suffering the indignity of your friends mocking you for swinging an imaginary luminescent around like a child for two decades was bad, but nothing could prepare you for Luke Skywalker himself telling you that you were a fool for imagining that “laser swords” could actually be real.

The DT is a disgrace.

Rew likes this.
  7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I wouldn't blame Natalie Portman though. She was directed by Mr. "This is to establish this, that is to establish that."
    "We'll fly Christopher Lee in if we need gravitas".

Darth__Lobot and 3sm1r like this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well I wouldn't either... because there's nothing to blame anyone for. ;)

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    In fact, I don't even blame Hayden Christensen. I don't think he was badly cast. He did his best. But you can only do so much with lines that you have to suddenly blurt out.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    [face_dunno]

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ yeah, I thought the same. It doesn't really matter how you say "I wish I could just wish away my feelings", you are going to look dumb no matter what.

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think it's an awesome line. [face_dancing]

But seriously, why can't we all come together around our love for the saga? There are now 11 live-action SW movies. Twelve with the animated Clone Wars movie. There's so much to celebrate!! =D=

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Btw, since you mentioned Portman.
    Who are the other Academy winning actors in the saga a part from Alec Guinness and Benicio del Toro?

14. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    The prequel trilogy will always have a soft spot for me because of Qui-Gon Jinn. He is in my top three prequel trilogy Jedi ahead of Mace Windu and Obi Wan.
    However I would have to say the sequel trilogy wins wins out because of the Rise of Skywalker. Im going to watch The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker back to back as soon as "Rise" comes out in March I believe. I will omit episode 8 everytime I watch these movies because I feel that RJ just subverted expectations for the heck of it. For example sending Rose and Finn on that senseless mission to find the code breaker could have been time used to show Luke training Rey.

I actually believe if Abrhams had written all three film's we would have gotten something much better in Episode 8 but considering what Abrahms was left with after RJ left the trilogy in a mess I feel he did a heck of a job. Kylo Rens search for the Wayfinder looks as though it could have been an entire movie on to itself but since we have the last Jedi mess that needed to be cleaned up we only get to see the end of the search. Can you imagine the Wayfinder search cut in between shots of Rey getting some serious Jedi training? I don't know about you but I can. That would have been awesome a missed opportunity there.

Snoke inside those canisters was a complete waste of a fantastic character that Abrahms created. Thanks again Rian.

A lot of the critics are saying "Rise" was rushed. Maybe some of it was because it had a lot to fix. Many critics are saying that "Rise" was pandering to the fans. Maybe it was but what's wrong with that as long as it's done properly? The fans are the ones spending the money not the critics. You got me back JJ and for that I'm grateful.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Dagobahsystem, Darth__Lobot and Rew like this.
  15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Can't think of any - it's a shame there's no Oscars for Christopher Lee or Laura Dern.

And though he isn't an actor, John Williams has a cameo in Ep 9.

Dagobahsystem and Master_Lok like this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    forest whitaker

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Wasn't including him b/c I was talking about the 9-movie saga by itself.
    But yes, it's good to remember Rogue One also has an Oscar winner.

Count Yubnub and Felicia like this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Lupita Nyong'o (Maz) won Best Supporting Actress in 2014 for 12 Years a Slave as well.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In hindsight, it's a shame the ST squandered its Oscar-winning actors on secondary roles with relatively little screen time... :mad:

Sarge likes this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Dammit. Forgetting about her makes me look like an idiot, considering my avatar.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't feel bad - I had a feeling she'd won for something but had to Google it to make sure.

Princess_Tina and 3sm1r like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Bolded and Italicized for the truth. =D=

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    another one from the anthology films: linda hunt, who voiced lady proxima in solo, won a best supporting actress oscar for her performance in the year of living dangerously.

24. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    IMO, Portman has a very limited range, and she often gives bad performances in genre films. She was flat in the Thor movies, somewhat in V for Vendetta, from what I saw of that romance with Ashton Kutcher, and in The Other Boleyn Girl (irrc).

I thought she was miscast. Lucas needed someone with Fisher's fiery side. She's almost defined by her meek demeanor. Hence, that SNL sketch:

25. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I see the results of this poll are still in the right direction

I love democracy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.