main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Now that your wife's murderer is dead, you're under arrest! ROMAN POLANSKI

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Brother_Bushforb, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Bushforb

Brother_Bushforb Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    Story

He had a couple of days to celebrate the death of Susan Atkins and today he was supposed to receive a lifetime achievement award in Switzerland. But once he entered the country he was arrested on a 30 year old warrant for raping a 13 year old girl.

Justice has been busy this week.

2. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
    Lifetime achievement award? That's even funnier then a free tv. Those crafty cops.

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    About time.

4. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I think there's a difference between 'unlawful sexual intercourse' and 'rape'. Even if a 13 year old can't legally consent, it doesn't mean he 'forced himself upon her'.

Also, didn't the alledged 'victim' say that she doesn't feel like he should be prosecuted, and prefers to have to whole thing dropped?

5. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    How would giving a 13 year old quaaludes and alcohol and then having" unlawful sexual intercourse" with her while she said no count?

I suppose is 13 year olds didn't want to be raped they should stop looking so good?

He was already prosecute. He pleaded guilty and then skipped town. When he gets back to the US he's going to be locked up probably for the rest of his life.

6. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
    I guess that's a life time achievement award.

7. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Statutory rape laws in the U.S. are strict liability laws. This means that there are no defenses to these crimes (other than maybe insanity). If you sleep with someone under the legal age of consent, you have violated the law regardless of the circumstances and factors. It doesn't matter if you got consent of the girl and her family or even if you were mislead into believing that the girl was of the age, you will still be found guilty if charged and prosecuted.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Isn't there a statute of limitations on these sorts of things?

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    On fleeing the jurisdiction after pleading guilty? No.

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    You're right, for some reason I remembered the story being different.

Eh, not like I care all that much for Polanski's work to begin with.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah drugging a 13 year old and having sex with them is disgusting and never ever okay. He was/is guilty, he fled sentencing and flaunted the whole thing in countries that would not extradite him. Now he was stupid enough to go to a country with an extradition agreement with the US who would actually arrest him. He got arrested and I hope he finally gets sent back here and jailed for what he did.

12. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    strange though that the french never found that crime so terrible or many other countries for that matter.

what good does it do to follow through with a sentence which is questionable in the first place? he's 70 or something for god's sake.

13. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I don't think there is a statute of limitations on unclassified felonies.

And what a way to lure somebody in to get an arrest warrant.

Kinda reminds of that "free boat" ploy on the Simpsons. I'm going to have to try this...

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Even if he does get extradited, he's rich enough to just pay his way out of the worst of it. [face_tired]

15. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Polanski needs to answer for "The Fearless Vampire Killers" anyway. It could have been great if it had been four hours shorter.

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I heard that Roman Polanski raped that girl in Jack Nicholson's house, and supposedly Angelica Huston was in the house, or at least on the property, when it happened.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    So after all this time, what's a likely outcome?

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Was he ever sentenced? He ran before he could be sentenced, if memory serves. And many other countries? Only certain countries. And what the French think doesn't really matter much to me. He committed a crime. He ran from serving out the time for that crime. Now he should be brought back and forced to serve the time for that crime and for the crime of running from the law.

EDIT: Let this quote from the victim speak for itself. "I said no several times, and then, well, gave up on that." "Straight up, what he did to me was wrong." Tell me that someone who does something like that to ANYONE should be allowed to walk away from it. It's a crime to rape someone. Not to be cliche, but no means no. When someone says no, that's it. No sex. It's a line in the sand. Let him come back, serve his time (which should NOT be forever) and be done with it.

19. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Man...as good as his movies are, I really have hated him for running away from his mistakes, and refusing to pay the price for them. Bloody coward.

I'm glad he's finally getting arrested. Whether or not anything will actually come of it remains to be seen, I guess.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The fact that he raped that girl is totally Atkins' fault.

21. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    That is not at all what happened. Watch the documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired.

He pled guilty and admitted he had done something wrong. He served time as part of a complicated plea agreement, under which he would have been paroled after serving some time at the Chino State Prison. The judge in the case reneged on the plea bargain, apparently only concerned with publicity in the case.

Even the prosecuting attorneys at the time seriously questioned the conduct of the judge in the case.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    True. But how the hell does that mean fleeing the country isn't illegal? :confused:

Also, that's a great documentary. Partly because it's really balanced. It acknowledges how unfair the judge was, but also that Polanski did something very wrong (there's that great moment of him saying kind of flippantly that of course all men desire young girls...)

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    We have these laws here one them is...what is it oh yeah about fleeing the country when you are up on charges. We also have this law about not being able to have sex with any one below the age of what 18 or 19. In a few other places you can be at lest 16 or 17 and that with in Canada and the USA.

24. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    According to Huston, that's the truth.

Huston and Nicholson were dating, and Polanski was staying with them at the time.

Nicholson wasn't home, Huston was.

25. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    No! Tess - don't do it!
    You ignorant sleaze...
    [Image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ALJfEG6SMHw/SOdfOCaOx-I/AAAAAAAAAVo/OTNWGTDr7d4/s200/tess.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.