main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga - PT "Now You're a Home" | OTP #16: Milestones Challenge | Rex/Ahsoka; AU, post-TCW/RotS; Novel

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade , Sep 5, 2020.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha 2 Truths 1 Lie Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, this was exquisite! Her musings and longings and uncertainties all tangled together. =D= Very realistic. Superbly written, although frustrating to us as well as Ahsoka. She has earned a respite. She, and Rex also, shouldn't be expected or coerced into fighting.

There's nothing wrong with the SW variant of a picket fence, a porch swing, and an equine to ride ;)

[face_love]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Mira_Jade likes this.
  2. jayjay

jayjay Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2021
    At first I was all "oh no Rex, please don't sulk! Sulking is NOT cool, so not cool." Then I spent a night and a day thinking about what Rex might be thinking and now I suspect that he is sacrificing his happiness by torpedoing his developing relationship to make sure he doesn't slow Ahsoka down. Ever the hero, just as much as Ahsoka.
    Can't wait to see where MJ takes this next.

3. jedi113

jedi113 Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2021
    Oh my goodness! I have been checking in occasionally and it is amazing to see a new chapter! I can fully understand the reasoning behind your hiatus, but don’t be too hard on yourself! We have fallen in love with this story because of your writing and storytelling ability. Rest assured, without having read this chapter I am beyond excited not only for it but what is to come as well! When you set your mind to it and put pen to paper an amazing story is sure to follow :).

4. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm heeeeeere!:D

[face_laugh] Agreed! :p

I loved all your descriptions of the work leading up to Eventide. As always, you flesh out the world so thoroughly that I have no idea where the line is between canon and fanon, and the world just feels completely lived-in and tangible.

I've got to admit, reading Ahsoka's longing for a simple life and family and home really made me want that for her, even if it means not joining The Cause. The duality of her desires and thoughts in this chapter were just so well done. I simultaneously want her to have the quiet life away from war, while also wanting her and Rex to join the fledgling Rebellion and help take back the galaxy.

Even if romance didn't enter into it at all, this still rings completely true. Ahsoka and Rex are a team and companions, and after everything they went through together, I just can't imagine them parting ways. So it seems natural to me that she would feel this way about him. [face_love]

But then romance does enter into it, and you deal with Ahsoka's growing awareness of her feelings so well. I also love how you incorporate her Togruta heritage into that awareness, and how she reacts to those feelings even as she tries to approach them from a more intellectual level. The mate of her heart part was lovely also because it can read romantic, but it's also about companionship and partnership, which I'd say is essential to a lasting romantic relationship anyway. Very beautifully expressed, all of it! [face_love]

So true!

Such a bizarre and unfair dichotomy, isn't it? But she's at the point now where she knows her feelings are reciprocated, so that's a step in the right direction, right? [face_batting]

Oh, this was beautiful. Kind of terribly beautiful, and it put me in mind of Stover's descriptions of Anakin in the RotS novelization. And I love that last, If she emptied herself, what would remain? And even though Ahsoka is coming from a place of righteous anger and we know she won't slip into the darkness the way her master did, I still couldn't help thinking of Vader here, and maybe even some other Sith Lords - canon and otherwise - for whom this rings true. If you give up all that rage, what's left? Who are you without that fire, that hate? (Sort of rambling here, don't mind me. :p)

Poor Ahsoka. =((

I was really struck by this image, and it even reminded me of komorebi, with the interaction of light and shadows caused by the tree branches. Also, I really like the name "smoke-oak" for some reason. :p

Ugh, Mara. What gave you the right??? :_|

[face_love] Of course this would be one of my favorite moments. Of course it would. :D

Ooooh, this was so good. I am always a sucker for this dream/Force vision stuff, as you know, and everything about this - Ahsoka's fear and confusion, the way her consciousness edges right on the truth, and of course, Vader reaching out, searching - was so beautifully written and portrayed. =D=

Aw, Rex. :( (Even though I sort of wanted to smack him upside the head by the end of this scene. :p)

I could really feel this. We've all had those moments, haven't we? When we know we said something wrong but aren't sure what we should have said instead. Or when we are the ones looking for a specific response, and we don't get it. I could feel that heaviness in this scene.

Well, that hurt. =(( (Also, I love it. [face_mischief])

So good to see you're back at it and having fun writing this story again! It's always a treat to delve into this world and these characters. :D I can't wait to find out what happens next, and you know I'm here to the end, no matter how long or short the journey is. ;) [face_batting] [:D]

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Just caught up, and wow, Rex and Ahsoka are definitely in "two steps forward, one step back" territory here! Hurts so good, I must say! D And I say that because I am pretty sure I know what it means: namely, when Rex turns away (!) from Ahsoka, it means that he is at least as self-conscious about the whole "talking about us" business as Ahsoka is. In some ways I think his little "is that an order" barb is an attempt to cope with it, too—trying in way to steer the conversation back to more familiar territory, kind of sort of. All good signs, in their way! ;)

Ahsoka's musings and thoughts and internal conflicts throughout the chapter are wonderful—she's got so much to think about, and you make it all so believable and organic and immediate. I get the feeling she isn't just trying to decide which "either/or" to choose but would like to be able to reconcile her attachments, and her desire to just live out there in the beautiful farmcountry of Saleucami, too her connection to the Force and the Jedi in some way. Which seems to very much fit for her as a character!

And, whoo boy, that was some dream! :eek: So much bittersweetness, too, with her memories of Anakin as teacher and Barriss as close friend. And I recognize that little red-haired girl! What will it mean for her developing relationship with Rex, I wonder? Because if they get to the point where they're sharing Everything Else, she will certainly be sharing that sort of experience with him, too. [face_thinking]

Keep up the wonderful work—looking forward to seeing where things will go now! Eventide's right around the corner, and perhaps some new realizations of the "oh." variety are, as well! :D =D=

6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Ugh, idiots! Just kiss already!

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fan Fiction Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Lean into your strengths! :*

Aw [face_blush] You know, the flip side of that is that even after all these years, I still think "if only I could have seen this one archived" when I come across a really good story. This is one of them [face_love]

And like the clones, the padawans should never have been on the front lines to begin with, if you ask me. Jedi child soldiers are still child soldiers.

Ordinary life is underrated, seriously. And to someone who's been through what Ahsoka has, how much more so.

And "simple beauties and common joys" has transformed itself in my mind to "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood", even though Guinevere's ideas of such are not quite so ordinary :p

The curse of all our favorite characters in this saga, when you come right down to it. Probably a lot of them would have had personally happier lives if they'd just hunkered down somewhere and kept quiet, but they just couldn't. (Which is why we then have to write them stories where they get happy endings and ordinary bits of life to make up for all teh dr4m4 :p)

Heh, I used to work in food service, and an industrial lemon slicer comes down with a very satisfying thunk. It was a great bit of side work when you were really mad. Churning butter would definitely be along the same lines :p

Or could they? [face_thinking]

You be quiet, leave me my hope

Why, hello there, baby Mara!

Mira, stop angsting up everyone :p

Oh ho, what have we here? [face_thinking]

I do like this wording [face_love]

Mira, I almost laughed, your dedication to angst is so complete and total :p And it's delicious, artistic angst! But I'm going to start bugging you to write happy!fic occasionally like I do Vi; the angst is overwhelming [face_skull]

*hypocritically goes off to write angst*

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_dancing] ANGST![face_dancing]

Seriously, Mira, prepare yourself. She's relentless. :p

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Maybe I can bribe both of you by saying that this 'verse just may become that AU where Ahsoka rescues more than a few Force-sensitive children from Palpatine and Mara might be one of them? You know, for all the angst and happy!fic potential. [face_mischief] But that's going to have to wait for a sequel coming soon to a board near you. [face_whistling] ;)

To think that I told myself that this was only going to be a slight AU, too. :p [face_laugh] [:D]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Aw yeah, that's what I'm talking about! :D [face_dancing]

Lolol, isn't that always how it goes? But I love it, and I'm always eager to see where you take things in any 'verse you write in. ;)

11. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    You wrote vivisection, and then you came up with a nice happy story where bebeh padawan Mara got to feel pretty in a poofy dress, and you expect me not to pester for more bebeh Mara? You have only yourself to blame [face_not_talking]

Aw yiss :cool:

(But also HSSV because my wee bebeh Mara *is relentless*)

12. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    You're always finding ways to bring it back to the vivisection, aren't you? o_O :*

Don't mind us, Mira, we're just hijacking your thread... :p [face_whistling]

Gabri_Jade and Mira_Jade like this.
  13. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Nice try, but Mira's on my side with the vivisection thing :p

*disappears into the night; has never hijacked a thread in her life*

Mira_Jade and ViariSkywalker like this.
  14. jayjay

jayjay Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2021
    How often is too often to check in on this story to see if MJ has added anything?

Mira_Jade likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha 2 Truths 1 Lie Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    An EXCELLENT QUESTION! [face_laugh]

Mira_Jade likes this.
  16. jayjay

jayjay Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2021
    Mira_Jade, I am re-reading this (again) and wondering about your writing process. Yours is my favorite writing style I've read in my (new) hobby or reading fan fiction. How do you do it?
    I do a lot of technical writing for my work, where the goal is to translate complicated scientific concepts in the clearest, most concise way. Thus, when I challenge my mind to imagine a fictional scene, and imagine describing it in words, it is just so flat. So boringly descriptive. More like a screenplay (which is truly boring stuff, since it's missing all the interpretive flair added by the director and actors). But your writing gets all the flair in there and then much much more. Do you start with a flat descriptive idea, like something I would come up with, then rework it over and over again adding layers of the 5 senses plus inner monolog, or does it all just come together as a whole as you sit down to write? Is The complete story, from start to finish, in your head before you start the first page? And if so, how much mind reworking do you do with the concepts before you start typing? Or do you just start typing and see where it takes you?
    (I have so many questions!)

brodiew, Findswoman and Mira_Jade like this.
  17. jayjay

jayjay Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2021
    So I spent lots of time on airplanes this past couple of days and reread all of this fic again, having preloaded the pages on my phone. It's just so fantastic! MJ, if you're struggling to get more written and need supplies (eg. junk food), drop your Venmo name here and I will provide! And if you're still worried that your resolution won't match the build up, fear not! You've got such great momentum going here that even a coast to the finish line would be satisfying to us readers. As I have been reminded by mentors many times in my career, in which I'm sometimes crippled by perfectionism, "don't let perfection be the enemy of the good." Your "good", or even just okay, is leagues better than most of what's out there, I am sure. Have faith in your readers, because we have faith in you!

Also, since your last installment I've consumed a number of Fox/Rio fics and have a greater appreciation for this ship, so I have really enjoyed your take here in my third reading. I am really looking forward to seeing, hopefully, the interplay of Ahsoka, Rex, Riyo and Fox. Lots of different ways it coild play out.

And I just love Suu the way you've written her. I wish she were real and a neighbor of mine! I suspect she could give me great parenting advice.

Thank you again for this fic!