main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obama vs Fox News; does the US media have a left wing bias?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by saturn5, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    All talk is aimed at impacting how people think and perceive the world around them. So, basically, every word I have ever said was an attempt to brainwash.

Every person is ideological, even if they don't fit into the neat little categories of republican or democrat. Therefore, every word we say is ideological. Therefore, every word we say is propaganda.

The words "brainwash" and "propaganda", as you've defined them, just add a negative connotation to something we all do.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That skips over the "automatic thought processes" part that Quix mentioned though, I would think. Similarly, it is possible to have broadcasting that is not ideological. Just because a person HAS an ideology doesn't mean that they can't do something in an unbiased fashion, and it isn't true that just because people have an ideology, that therefore whatever they do is, by necessity, ideological.

They'd be honest? *zing*

As to that list itself, a fair chunk of them remind me of why I tend to hate the media in general.

3. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I skipped over "automatic thought processes" because I didn't know what it meant.

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Automatic thought processes are involuntary cognitive mechanisms that impact how situations and information are processed. You can read more about them in cognitive psychology.

Fallacy: Equivocation - Difference between Descriptive vs. Prescriptive language
    Fallacy: Victory by Definition - Humans have sixteen limbs, therefore there are no humans on Earth!

Fallacy: Hasty Generalization - Beware of universal statements, and you are also risking a Fallacy of Equivocation depending on how you are defining "ideological."
    Fallacy: Non Sequitur - Having political beliefs =/= expressing them every time we speak.
    Fallacy: Victory by Definition - See above.

5. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    Your students must love you.

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    They do, actually. I have waiting lists for my classes.

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I do not think that news can, or should, be unbiased. I would rather the reporters be honest about their biases, so we can take those into account when listening to what they have to say.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In all seriousness, imagine the outrage...THE OUTRAGE!!!! that would could from the right-wing punditocracy if someone at say...CNN...said, on the air and in no uncertain terms, that the network had an ideological bias. But this is exactly what happened when Jon Stewart sat down with Chris Wallace of FOX News.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't visit TruthOut, and I've only watched MSNBC a few times. I don't like MSNBC, but from what I've seen of it, it's relatively tame compared to Fox News. Fox is simply out and by far the worst offender when it comes to media propaganda.

Furthermore, left-wingers have a strong habit of shooting themselves in the foot. As I've said elsewhere, America is mostly center-right, so people here reflexively repulse the left-wing fringe. But the flip side to that is that they reflexively accept the right-wing fringe and absorb their rhetoric. That's why the extreme right is so much more powerful and even dangerous.

10. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    But Truthers get banned from Daily Kos. (Though I have a problem with Daily Kos actually showing Jeff Gannon's pr0n pix, the same can be said of Breitbart with Anthony's weiner.)

Go to any conservative website, and if you point out flaws in Limbaugh's theory that the 2007 recession was engineered by Obama as per the playbook of communists [sic] like Saul Alinsky, you will be banned.

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  12. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    As long as they admit that they have a conflict of interest at the beginning of each segment discussing her, i don't have a problem with it. Of course, they probably don't do that.

Anyway, I don't view news broadcasts as educational, so their biases really don't affect me. I realize that I'm watching people gossiping about other people and I know what that is worth.

13. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
  14. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The gibbering idiots who listen to Faux News wouldn't listen to the President anyway. So I'm okay with this.

15. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Judicial Watch is, and I quote, "a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation, promotes transparency, accountability and integrity in government, politics and the law".

Okay, how can you be conservative (or liberal) and non-partisan?

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Because conservatives speak for all Americans, that's how. Haven't you been listening to the Republican Party for the past decade?

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Because non-partisan just means that you're not tied to a particular party, not that you're not tied to a particular ideology. So, for example, one could be completely non-partisan and simply support any politician that is opposed to abortion, and not care if that person is a Republican or a Democrat.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So let me get this right: last night's GOP Presidential primary debate was actually sponsored by FOX News? o_O

19. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Yup. And, following Palin's advice to Christine O'Donnell, only Fox covered it. Because we know how easy it is to misconstrue someone appearing on MTV and saying how selfish masturbation is, or appearing on Politically Incorrect and confessing to Satanism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.