main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Obi-Dawn's art stuff (updated 6/27)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow...I've been flipping between your "Picnic Padme" and the photo you used as reference...OMG... It's just a beautiful reproduction (I even think your drawing might be a bit better in the details of the gown). Give yourself another "self-appointed exercise!!" Quick! :D

FF

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] Thanks! I know the details of that dress like the back of my hand. My picnic dress obsession :p

Thanks for the kind comments HS29. :)

3. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Wow! I just got back from San Diego and saw your picnic Padme. Stunning. I saw your costume link also and I cant believe the craftsmanship you put into your costuming. I once made a Batman costume that my freinds wanted to kill me for, but what you do is really amazing.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks THEFROCE16. Comments from you are always appreciated. :)

I found some time over the holidays to start some new drawings. One is done and another is in progress.

Here's the finished one: Queen Amidala. It isn't quite as bright looking in person though.

The other one I'm working on is a portrait of an Ep.3 era Padmé. It's much more just a study of her face. Something isn't quite right about it so it's still being worked on...and on...and on. :oops:

5. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    I never get tired of looking at Padme costumes from EP1. I think they were one of the few things that worked really well for that film. Your rendering of this one is just terrific. the red background really gives the whole thing a solid romantic feel. I hope someday my job will give me five seconds to produce some more art, but right now I'm happy to see someone as talented as you using your powers to astonish. Wonderful.

6. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    I just wanted to say here in your own thread how much I've been admiring your work, Obi-Dawn. It's just beautiful. I doubt I'll ever get quite that good, but I'm not going to give up drawing because of that. :D My people just look a little more cartoonish than I want. Yours look like people. ;)

Beautiful stuff.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent rendering, Obi-Dawn! The amount of detail put into your drawing is amazing. I was just looking over it and it really stuck out how much detail is actually present. Wonderful! =D=

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks so much to the three of you. I do really appreciate your comments. :)

I tried to make her dark brown fur overcoat look like fur...and found that a bit challenging. I hope it came across right.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's an in progress shot of my latest drawing. It's a portrait of Padmé, circa ROTS, but the only possible spoiler could be her hairstyle/hood. (I don't think it's really that spoilerish and is a made up pose based on a picture of Nat from an old Vogue. I changed her hair to be like it is in a scene from ROTS.)

ROTS Padmé portrait in progress...

I'm not exactly happy with it. I think there's something askew with the placement of her right eye and the shading on her skin could be improved. Nevertheless, it's been a good exercise so far.... :) Critique/advice welcome!

edited: for silly typos.

10. Bail-Aquino

Bail-Aquino Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    It looks very nice, Obi-Dawn...

I particularly liked the lips, very life-like...

11. SPARKSIII

SPARKSIII Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2004
    I think you should put more up when you have the time! Niiiiice.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I love viewing in-progress pics! :D

So far, that really looks excellent. Even at this stage, you can really see the detail in the hair and the care that went into making it look great.

You mentioned about the right eye being a little off - well, after looking at it for a little while, I can't really see anything wrong with how you have it. It looks find to me. Although, the likeness is a tad off and I think it's due to the eyes. They may be a little too oblonged or slanted inward too far. That's about the only thing I can pick out in that area, though.

And your shading looks superb. I wouldn't change a thing about that, but if you feel that you can do better in that area, go for it! :)

Can't wait to see the finished drawing! :D

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I've been wanting to take time to comment on these last two pieces, Obi-Dawn, and finally have a little: WOW!! The Queen Amidala, with the fur coat, is just so regal--beautifully rendered (and yes, it looks very much like real fur!); the recent Padme work-in-progress is also beautiful--almost "dreamy," in a way. As to critique--I think the likeness is very good, but perhaps a little more "depth" around the eyes might bring them out a bit more (I almost hesitate to suggest it, as it sort of violates THEFORCE16's advice about "knowing when to call it done"... [face_worried] )... Truly beautiful, though--I so admire your ability to shade with colors--lovely!

FF

14. Zar_Valen

Zar_Valen Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    Great work, Obi-Dawn! I really like the mural drawing a lot. Someone mentioned the illustration style and I can see that too. The figures are very naturally posed and the dress details are awesome. It is great to see a style with such an emphasis on the intricate and innovative dress fashions of the prequels. I love your art. Please post more!

15. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    I am very impressed with what I've seen of your work. It's always hard to draw Amidala, because of the detail that's required, on top of simply getting her right. I can't do it, because I have a short attention span, but you seem to have managed it time and again, with incredible beauty and attention to all those tiny details. Thank you for sharing your art work with us. It was a pleasure to peruse it, and I hope to see more in the future!

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thank you Bail-Aquino & SPARKSIII for your nice replies. It's great to get feedback. :)

HanSolo29, thanks for taking the time to check out the eyes on my in progress drawing. As someone else who likes to draw faces, it's really helpful to have you critique it and get your opinion! I agree that there is definitely something 'off' about them, and I've been unable to pinpoint exactly what that is. They'll have to remain the way they are since I already began the coloring in process with pastels though...oh well. It's my own impatience to start the shading process that caused that. tee-hee....

FalconFan, thanks! I'm glad the fur coat looks like fur to you. I was apprehensive about that looking bad.
    And I agree that the in progress piece needs more shading, especially around those pesky eyes! LOL! Alas, I've worked on it so much already that the integrity of the bristol board has been compromised and it's not really smooth anymore. I will try to continue working on it, but I'm afraid I might just end up wrecking it...maybe I'll start over. [face_mischief]
    Anyway, I really admire your artistic talent, so hearing what you think is always helpful.

And thank you Zar_Valen & TroubledAnakin. I appreciate that you both took the time to look and respond. I think the thing that inspires me to draw Padmé is all of the details in her costumes. It's fun for me to try and get them all in my drawings.
    As a sidenote in regards to my mural: I can't take any credit for the design of those illustrations. They were all done by either Ian McCaig or Dermot Power and I just copied them onto my wall. ;)

17. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Very nice, you must have a lot of patience when drawing, because you put a lot of detail into your work. I can't do that, so I gotta hand it to you. Great Job.

18. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Wow! These are all very beautiful; my favorites are the very first one, the celebration dress, and the mural. Are you/have you actually doing/done that mural, painted and all?

I can't wait to see more! :)

19. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Like I said earlier Beautiful Stuff Obi-Dawn I like the Picnic Padme piece best.

Have you ever tried any Leia pieces. for eg. Bespin Leia? Just Wonderin'

20. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Excellent stuff! I love your attention to detail. How long do you usually work on a piece?

21. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Hey Obi-Dawn, wow, you're "Picnic" dress is amazing! :eek:

I really enjoy your pictures of Padme, I know I've said this before but, you really have Natalie Portman's likeness down perfectly! So cool! :)

Keep up the excellent work!

-DZ

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh wow, I missed these latest posts. [face_blush]

Thank you Ty. You know, I'm habitually very impatient when it comes to most things. For some reason when I draw or paint my impatience melts away and I enjoy taking my time with the details. It's like time slows down or something weird like that. LOL!
    Glad you like the picnic one. I have a special fondness for that costume. And I can't recall the last time I tried drawing Leia. Doing a costume study of her in the Bespin gown sounds like fun though! Maybe I'll give it a try. :)

corellian_chic242, thanks for looking! I haven't colored in the mural. There are some things about it which continue to bug me (like the large figure in the center) and I fluctuate from wanting to color it in to thinking I should just paint over the whole thing and start over....

Deneveon, thank you. Hmmm...I guess I usually try to finish a drawing in one sitting. If I start something and it gets put aside for a few days...well, then it usually never gets done.

And thanks Zemog! Any compliment coming from you is amazing!

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo, yes! To Ty_Ordell you listen! I would sooo love to see you do Leia's Bespin gown--your attention to detail and color would make it so luscious! I'm actually salivating at the thought of you doing some of Padme's new dresses from ROTS--I know they'd be just gorgeous! ;)

FF

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Just a little "up" for your thread, Obi-Dawn, and to beg that you post up some pictures of some of your costuming when you get it (them?) done--if the "picnic dress" example is any indication, they'll be absolutely wonderful! Can't wait!

FF

25. Padme_0421

Padme_0421 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Hey Obi-Dawn Kenobi!

Wow, I just looked at your Padme "in progress" along with your other works. They are very beautiful! I am so jealous;). And you are right, we both are obsessed with drawing Padme/Padme's outfits ;). I really like how you color your drawings, they have a soft side to them, it's very cunning :). Hope we can talk more Padme soon, :)~

~KT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.