main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Evil - Plausible AU character, or a fanfic Delusion? - Character Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Vivid_Scripts, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    In my time here on JC (about five months now) i've only seen two or three Obi-Evil fics, none of which in recent history. This leads me to ask- do you think Obi-Evil is a plausible character?

As I see it, most people seem to think of Obi-Wan being an ideal Jedi, and nothing more. But everyone has issues deep inside if your peel off enough layers. I've done thinking, and I've got two different AU avenues to explor Obi-Evil...

1. Qui-Gon did not select Obi-Wan to be his apprentice

At 13, Obi-Wan was quite old to be selected as a Padawan Learner, and Qui-Gon truly was his last chance. But what if Qui-Gon did not select him? It isn't hard to imagine what could have happened if a 13 year-old, untrained, undisciplined and unguided rogue Jedi apprentice had been unleashed upon the galaxy.

2. Maul killed Qui-Gon, and got away.

This is one I keep thinking about. What if Maul got away? Would Obi-Wan pursue him, hunt him down in some mad plot for revenge? But revenge isn't a Jedi thing... or is it? Did Obi-Wan kill Maul because it had to be done, or out of vengeance for his fallen master?

This really gets me thinking about what potentially could have happened. What if 10 years later (AoTC time frame) Obi-Wan finally catches up to Maul, and the two fight with Dooku or Palps in the background trying to use Obi-Wan's thirst for revenge to turn him? hmmm.... ("strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the darkside will be complete!") I'm getting RoTJ flashbacks :D

Thoughts?

2. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I've not seen many evil Obi-Wan fics at all out there. What few I've read were definitely intriguing.

The avenues are ripe for running amock fanficwise, just wonder why not many explore it.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Well don't we ALL have the capacity for evil within? It is only by a series of choices and circumstances that we CHOOSE not to be evil. You can take two kids that grow up in the same household (good or bad) and one will consistently make good choices while the other will not. Their character moves them in different directions, but I think in the "wrong" circumstance most people could be driven to evil. Not all, but most.

4. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    The potential for evil is definitely there. All Jedi have access to a power that transcends the limitations of "normal" life; this is a classic recipe for corruption. As we see (or will see, I should say) with Anakin Skywalker, the spread of inner darkness can be catalyzed by physical and emotional trauma, something with which Obi-Wan is well acquainted.

I've yet to read an Obi-Evil fic, but I suspect that a subtle author could pull it off quite convincingly.

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    This really gets me thinking about what potentially could have happened. What if 10 years later (AoTC time frame) Obi-Wan finally catches up to Maul, and the two fight with Dooku or Palps in the background trying to use Obi-Wan's thirst for revenge to turn him? hmmm....

You know... that has possibilities... I could see it... but I'd loooooove to see a fic with something similar to that and Obi becomes Dooku's apprentice! :D :D hehehehe Ani gets either trained by another Jedi Master or taken back to Tatooine.

Ummm yeah I could see Obi chasing after Maul like Qui did after what's his name that drugged Tahl up so bad that she died. Yep, revenge can turn a feller to the DS.

Oh hopefully some one will do a fic on that. Great plot bunnies!!

6. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    I think everyone has the potential for evil and under the right circumstances, that could be exploited. Canon Obi-Wan is a good character, no mistake about that, but he does have flaws.

In young Obi-Wan I see traces of arrogance, and in AOTC, he seems very much a by-the-book person. This is not necessarily a bad trait-I'm like this myself-but it can lead to inflexibility and perhaps difficulties in seeing other POVs.

Also, like you said, I think we are supposed to see Obi-Wan as the ideal Jedi of the Old Republic, with all of their virtues and all of their faults. And I realize I'm simply talking about Obi-Wan's minor faults here which do not make him evil by any means, but a real person who we can identify with. Still, no one is perfect and again, under other circumstances, perhaps these faults could lead to a real downfall.

Kristeh

7. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Ummm yeah I could see Obi chasing after Maul like Qui did after what's his name that drugged Tahl up so bad that she died. Yep, revenge can turn a feller to the DS.

Oh hopefully some one will do a fic on that.

Hmmm, this sounds like a plot bunny that I have tucked away.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhh, that second one is like a giant, rabid plot bunny! :p I definitely don't have time to tackle it, but I'd be very interested in a story like that.

Actually, even in canon stories I like to deal with Obi-Wan and the Dark Side. A person can't really say they're fighting for good unless they've consciously rejected evil. I think in TPM when Obi-Wan fights Maul, he definitely touches the Dark Side. We don't get to see the reprecussions of this in the films, sadly, but I would think that time post-TPM would be one in which Obi-Wan would have to consciously reject the Dark Side. That's something I've tried to work with in my own stories, because I see it as a parallel to Luke's struggles with the Dark Side in the OT. It's like a drug, and even 'good' people can get addicted.

So to answer the question, yes, I think it's a plausible AU under the right circumstances. I also think Obi-Wan would be a mighty powerful Sith or Dark Jedi.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, on topic, There are two new Obi-Evil fics out there in The Saga boards:

The Broken Cadence Rolls
    by LuvEwan
    http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16285940/?36

All Falls Down
    by Vivid Scripts
    http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16321366/?4

LE's story is really good. She uses a lot of descriptive detail and language to describe the strong conflicts between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I said in my first post that there are (2) ways to explore obi-evil, and LE's story is definitely exploring route number 1. I'd definitely reccomend you to read it- its great stuff.

As for my fic... well the reason I started this thread was because I had a dark obi-wan story in the works and I wanted to see what people thought of the character. I do indeed explore route number 2 with "All Falls Down".

thats all I have to say for now... SJ and Kristeh both make very strong, valid points concerning Obi-Wan's constant struggle with the darkside and the flaws he has that could lead to his downfall. I can't say that I don't agree with you two.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And I'm glad for it you exploring that. For one, because I think it's an interesting plot bunny, and for another thing because I want to know what happened to Obi-Wan after 'Blood of a Slave' :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Making such an established character evil could be difficult to carry off but it might be fun.

One possible path might be having Qui-Gon survive to train Anakin. Leaving Obi-Wan a bit resentful and competitive. He might see things about Anakin he doesn't like and feel that his opinion is being ignored by the council. Obi-Wan could be influenced by Dooku or Palps to feel that the Jedi are taking the wrong direction. In this one, it might be Obi-Wan that takes the place of Vader with Anakin in a role reversal. Ah, I shouldn't let these thoughts into my head. I don't need more things to write.

12. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I think if Obi-Wan did turn to the darkside and did some bad things along the way, he would still feel about it (some what guilty) but I've never pictured him like that before. Interesting topic.

~aeryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.