main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan-A Character Workshop: PT Obi and OT Obi: The Whole Package

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    DL I'll read and reply later, just on lunch. To clarify things a little, They don't have to be done by Monday. That's just the day I'm going to start the thread. I think we'll make it about a three week deal. Sound good? Any questions? Okay than get back to writing! :D

2. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Okee I am here?about a week or so late, but hey I am here right..;)

OE glad you created this little thread. It will be fun to see where this one goes?.here are my thoughts on the questions presented here?

What was/ are your impressions of the Original Trilogy Obi-Wan as played by Alec Guiness?

I saw the OT when I was young and did not remember the name of it. All I could recall was the scary man dressed in black breathing through a mask. Come on now when one is like 5 that is some scary stuff?

But I saw the movies once again when I was in Junior High, and feel in love all over again.

Now to be honest, I never like Obi-Wan in the OT. I mean Alec Guiness is a wonderful actor, but I did not like the ?character? because at the time, I could not under stand the reason for lying to Luke about the truth of his father. Now as I am older I can see why.

But I think that now understanding everything behind the reason as to why, that Obi-Wan was what one would called a tragic hero. Being placed in the situation he was put in must have been hard. And to me no matter what he did or didn?t do it made him a great person, and man.

I think that last duel with Vader and Obi must have come as some kind of relief for him. That finally all he had been through had finally come full circle and he could move on..

Okee moving on to the next question before I put my foot in my mouth anymore..LOL..

A certain point of view." As opposed to: "Your focus determines your reality." Anybody care to try to define the difference between these two philosophies - or - gasp! -Is there truly any difference at all?

I do not think there is a difference. To me what you think is right is right from your own point of view and not others. Something you think is right, to someone else might be wrong. And does not our focus on things determine if we make the right choice?from our own point of view?

To toss something else out there, I have always wondered what could have brought Obi-Wan and Anakin to the point at the end of ROTJ where they could stand and smile at one another? Their mutual love for the twins or something more profound?

I think that in this case, it was the Love that Obi-Wan still had for Anakin. I think that no matter what happened or What Anakin did in his life, Obi-Wan still loved him. Its like a parent still loving their child no matter what they did. I think that this is why Obi and Ani were smiling to each other. But maybe the twins had something to do with it too?:)

What is everyone's favorite age for him and why? What are ways that you show Obi-Wan's youth and inexperience as a padawan, the brash and quick knight, or the sage old hermit?

I think my favorite age for Obi-Wan is his older padawan years, right before he comes into knighthood. I love writing about this time frame, because we never really get to see what happens, and it is fun to play with him. Ya know the whole beating up with in an inch of his life and what not that some are known for doing, (not me of course. More so OE, Red and Cyn ;) )

Okee I am going to go hide now and wait for peoples coments on how dumb my thoughts are?

PT

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I have the perfect idea for the challenge:

Obi-Wan stepping into the shower.

[face_mischief]

4. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Me likey! :D Don't know if we could get away with it here however! :p

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    LE - My mind is twisted enough that the challenge of writing Obi-Wan going into a shower - I would write him fully-clothed! LOL....

6. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Hum. Fully clothed, unclothed, half clothed! It's all good! [face_love]

By the way! If anybody needs some ideas for the challenge, PM me. I have a handful of them that I came up with last night when I should have been sleeping! I'd be happy to share them! :)

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I've been on vacation so I'm a little late.

Obi-Wan's character in the OT.
    I was 26 when I first saw ANH (stood in the line the first weekend and must have seen it 30-40 times in the theater). It was pretty clear that Obi-Wan was hiding something or anxious about what he was telling Luke in the hut...the rocking action as he was telling about Vader was obvious and viceral. I really liked him when he was teaching Luke about the Force, more so than in the cantina (although that was pretty awesome) and I was very upset when he died.

However, as TESB and ROTJ unfolded, I never bought the whole "certain point of view" thing. Sorry, Obi-Wan deliberately lied, protection of Luke or not, and both he and Yoda let Luke go off to fight his father (in TESB) without telling him the truth. Pretty much lowered my opinion of the OT Obi-Wan (and don't get me started on Yoda). I was with Luke all the way at the end of TESB when he asked "Ben, why didn't you tell me?" (my favorite line in all of OT). Makes my heart hurt every time.

I think that's also why I'm not as upset about Qui-Gon's discard of Obi-Wan (in the infamous Council scene) as some others might be. To me, both men betrayed their apprentices on some level. (oh, I'm going to get into trouble with that one). Keep in mind that doesn't mean that I don't still adore them - just that both Qui and Obi have feet of clay...

POV versus focus
    As for the question "certain point of view" versus "focus determines your reality". I find that I react to both of them equally so I don't see any difference although I can understand that others might.

Writing Obi-Wan
    I very much prefer the 20-25 year old Obi-Wan. The interactions between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have inspired me quite a lot (much more so than Obi/Anakin). To me, at that stage, Obi is much more idealistic, energetic and has a joy in life that time will unhappily wear away.

8. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    think that's also why I'm not as upset about Qui-Gon's discard of Obi-Wan (in the infamous Council scene) as some others might be. To me, both men betrayed their apprentices on some level. (oh, I'm going to get into trouble with that one).

I dunno. Faults and all, that scene just makes me cringe and want to cry every time I see it! Combined with the JA books.. it's just too much! I do however agree that Obi in a way did betray Luke by lying. Another fascinating view of him! :)

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually, in a way, Qui-Gon taught Obi-Wan well...if you consider that Obi-Wan's lying to Luke as a betrayal of their relationship.

Frankly, I'd love to string up Lucas for that TPM Council scene - what was he thinking? He could have made that scene so much better and still got the point across without making Qui-Gon look so bad and Obi-Wan getting back-stabbed. And don't even get me started on the Wolverston/Watson thing!!!!

10. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    And don't even get me started on the Wolverston/Watson thing!!!! Nope! Not gonna touch that one! :D I managed to get myself banned twice because of those two so I've learned to keep a healthy distance!

Although! Wolverton did do me one huge favor! He did after all create Xanatos! :)

11. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    You can get banned for that?

[face_shocked] Oops. Then I guess I've been pretty lucky! [face_laugh]

And fully-clothed? diane, you are twisted! 8-}

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Ah, but LE then you can get him to take his clothes off....or write some other story about why his clothes are still on. Maybe he's fixing the plumbing or trying out his new lightsaber to see if it still shorts out under raining conditions or... If he's going into the shower without clothes, that's a lovely picture but where's the story (except of course for Froggy's epic)??? LOL.

Maybe, obi_ew, you should add that to your list of challenges after all!

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    And now I have a question. What is your favorite Obi-Wan movie quote?

Mine was "Qui-Gon Jinn would never join you." from AOTC. Ewan's delivery of that line spoke volumes to me. Obi-Wan's loyalty, persistance, stubborness, love for his Master, absolute faith were all obvious in that one line. It still amazes me and remains one of my favorites!

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    "Dreams pass in time." :( The look on his face and the way he says it just..... :_|

15. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002

"You were right master, the negations were short,"

The look on his face has be cracking up laughing everytime.

**giggles at the look of a cocky Obi-Wan.**

16. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Frankly, I'd love to string up Lucas for that TPM Council scene - what was he thinking? He could have made that scene so much better and still got the point across without making Qui-Gon look so bad and Obi-Wan getting back-stabbed. And don't even get me started on the Wolverston/Watson thing!!!! >>

Personally, I'd almost agree, since that scene seemed to engender so much Ani-hate among Obi fans (and I like both characters)

-Tim

17. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Actually Tim, I think that's where all of the Jinn hating started! ;) I felt just as sorry for Anakin in that scene. poor kid is dragged away from his mother by complete strangers, forced to stand in front of all of these important and powerful beings, and know that he was the cause of tension between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Couldn't they have left him in the hallway or something? :eek: I'll admit that my like for Anakin is fairly recent, but I enjoy both characters also. Nice to see you here! :)

18. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't know about anyone else, but I liked Anakin just fine in Episode 1. I thought he was a cute, innocent little boy.

Episode 2 was another story. ;)

And you think too much, diane. :D

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Not to mention the fact that if you have read the novels, especially Phantom Menace, Anakin has dreamed about and idolized the Jedi his entire life. They became his little grain of hope in what was a pretty harsh life. One day in walks Jinn, who makes him and his mother all of these promises that quite frankly he doesn't even know if he can back up. He drags this wide eyed ten year old into a foreign land, only to place him smack dab in the middle of an uncomfortable confrontation. Instead of asking him to wait outside, these wisest of the wise Jedi, look down their collective noses at him and inform him that Sorry to bring you all of this way for nothing kid, but we just find you to be too unworthy . Is it any wonder he grows up to have major issues?

* wonders why evryone is staring at her so strangely. *

I know, I know, this isn't an Anakin workshop! :p I just felt like arguing, even if it was only with myself! :D

20. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Obi-Wan in the shower, good lord that's funny! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Favorite Obi-Wan quote--ooohh, so many! From AOTC, "I don't think so" to Dooku's "Back down", and "Your clones are very impressive. You must be very proud" to Jango--he's just so bad-ass when he says them!! From TPM, when he looks at Jar Jar and says "What's THIS?" The negotiations line I like, too, plus his "elusive" line at the beginning (I love how he says that word!) because, unlike Buckethead, he's actually clueing into the fact that something's not right. From the OT--every line!! :) More than his dialogue I love his facial expressions in the OT, especially his little smirk when Han says "there's no mystical energy field controls my destiny." And, of course, his "Yeah, I just sliced off his arm--so what?" look.

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    But LE - I must...think too much! And as you know, I have written romance Obi. How about plumber Obi or toolman Obi or ...sorry, couldn't resist.

And I do like Anakin (in both movies)...

I think a lot of people hate that Council scene. Really annoys the heck out of me...want to change it soooo much! Although I must admit, I rather liked the Obi-Wan annoyed face look in that scene....those fiery green eyes and that cute little frown...sorry, got sidetracked...LOL.

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Annoyed? I saw it as hurt, betrayed, sucker punched,the rug pulled out from under him, someone just ran over his dog kinda look. :(

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, perhaps annoyed was the wrong word but my kid was asking me a question at the time. I still liked his look because it was so emotionally intense...and I like strong emotions in my Jedi...

Got to go...

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm sorry I'm grumpy today. :( Tired and sick as usual, so please forgive me.

If anyone thinks they will have their post ready Monday for the challenge, please let me know. I don't know if mine will be ready or not, and i'd rather wait to begin the thread knowing something will be posted with it. Thanks! :)

25. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    ]I rather liked the Obi-Wan annoyed face look

Me too. *points to icon**

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.