main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan-A Character Workshop: PT Obi and OT Obi: The Whole Package

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    And I don't why, but I really loved how Obi put his hand on 3PO's shoulder when he was heading back into the ship on Mustafar. He had just gone through a horrible duel with his former padawan, and yet he still thought to comfort a droid.

Welcome, Bastet! I notice that, too. It makes me think of the Geonosis arena when he checks on a wounded Jedi and the funeral pyres for the Jawas in ANH.

I think the PT effectively painted the picture of the enduring strength suggested by Alec G?s portrayal. We get to see the measured brashness and boldness, if that makes any sense. I think even in the PT, there are hints of one who holds his power in check and control. And of course, there is the mischievous twinkle before it co-exists with an equal haunting sadness.

OT Obi-Wan did resonate with me, though Han and Luke were the hot factor :p I thought that Ben/Obi-Wan must have been quite something even when he was younger.

And ROTS helps me to appreciate OT Obi-Wan?s point of view to a degree I hadn?t quite expected.

EDIT: LE posted - We reported the top 15 characters, post-prequels, in Bantha Tracks Online.Here are the top five:

5. Yoda
    4. Han Solo
    3. Luke Skywalker
    2. Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
    1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Star Wars Insider Issue #85

:cool:

Are we surprised by the Obi-Wan love?[face_love]

----

On a real life tangent, I feel compelled to caution everyone to be mindful when using your ATM cards given an all too recent experience. I discovered yesterday that at some point an imprint was taken of my ATM card. Though being careful doesn't seem to have protected me, I'm grateful I discovered the fraudulent withdrawal from one of my bank accounts on the day it happened and was able to cancel my card before the little criminal(s) did more damage. I'm feeling rather violated at the moment. Shop carefully, everyone!:)

2. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    PT Obi-Wan makes me appreciate OT Obi-Wan even more. Some of his scenes with Han are even funnier to watch realizing that Obi-Wan definately knows what it's like to drop right into the middle of an army, BS his way through trouble, etc. He was a crazy young man before he was a crazy old man. [face_laugh] Of course the interactions with Artoo are funnier too.

Also, in the OT it seemed more as though Anakin's fall was Obi-Wan's fault for thinking he could train him himself. But I think in PT it's clear that was just Obi-Wan's POV and that other influences such as Palpy, Anakin himself, and the council were as much or more to blame. And I think seeing the depth of Obi-Wan's feelings for Anakin. It's also beautiful that he went through so much but still has that sense of humor and quiet confidence we see in ANH.

EDIT: Hrm, speaking of ANH... Does Obi-Wan understand Wookie? He did talk with Chewbacca without Han around in the Mos Eisely Cantina, right? I suppose he probably learned many languages to be a good negotiator.

3. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed reading everyone's views. :)

I agree that PT Obi made OT Obi into a much stronger, more 3-D character, the deepest character of all, IMO. I thought Obi-Wan was okay in the OT, but it wasn't until the PT, when we really got to see his character, that I started to love him. In the OT, he was a shimmery guy that gave good advice. In the PT, he was 'real' (especially in RotS). I cried a whole lot more when watching the OT after I saw RotS. :_|

Okay, back to studying for exams... [face_worried]

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    One thing in the PT that gives Obi-Wan much more substance in the OT is that we see the whole Jedi Order, too. Obi-Wan is the poster-boy for the Jedi, so it's great that we see more of them.

5. honour

Jul 13, 2003
    Lovely-in-Orange: Hrm, speaking of ANH... Does Obi-Wan understand Wookie? He did talk with Chewbacca without Han around in the Mos Eisely Cantina, right? I suppose he probably learned many languages to be a good negotiator.

I, too, have wondered whether Obi-Wan understands Wookie. I'm guessing they don't have universal translators in the GFFA, just protocol droids:p It makes sense to me that Obi-Wan would learn many languages to be an effective negotiator.

6. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Isn't there a scene in the Clone Wars cartoon where Obi-Wan translates for the alien races and Anakin asks him how he knows what they're saying? Obi-Wan implies that it has something to do with hanging around with Qui-Gon. Or I think that's right...

Yoda seemed to speak Wookiee. It's not far-fetched that Jedi could at least understand any nuumber of languages, especially in light of the fact that the Force could help them determine intent and emotion.

7. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Thanks honour and TKL! That helps. I'd completely forgotten that scene from the cartoons. Hrm, it might even be that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had more skills in that area than some other Jedi. That or Anakin was just busy daydreaming in Languages 101...

8. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    I thought OT Obi-Wan was a little more of a mystery before the PT came along. I felt that I could give him my own depth and of course, imagine what the Clone Wars must have been like for him and Anakin and the rest of the Jedi. But when the PT came out, it was nice to see exactly what happened and it did make the OT moments more profound.

Just dropping my two cents in here.....Happy New Year's everyone!:)

9. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    When I saw that scene I wondered if there is more proof in canon that Qui-Gon could interpret languages using the Force.

*stares happily at my Obi-Wan Clone Wars character key*

Anyone else get some Star Wars goodies for Christmas?

10. Katieelessar

Aug 1, 2005

I finally got a watch from Burger King![face_dancing] And then my brother got the second volume of the Clone Wars series. :D

11. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    I got the Boga action figure. [face_love] She was accompanied by Obi-Wan, of course. My husband also dug out the original Obi-Wan action figure from his childhood Star Wars collection and wrapped him up for me.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I got nothing for Christmas SW wise so I went out yesterday and bought the Ultimate SW visual guide and the new Swarm wars book. I already had the 2 calendars. Oh, and I bought my daughter one of those M&M resin figure groups - Amidala and the droids.

13. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I got the Amidala and the droids M&M's figures from my sister. :D And in turn, I gave her kids Clone Wars Vol. II. And I also gave my other sister some Star Wars related goodies. It's all about spreading the love. [face_love]

14. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    I got Approaching Storm, Dark Rendezvous, and Cloak of Deception. [face_love] But which to read first? *sigh* Life is full of tough decisions. ;)

I gave my cousin a Darth Vader mug. It was so funny; when he unwrapped it and looked at it, he said, "It's Darth Vader!" He turned it around. "And...Darth Vader." Then my brother said, "Well, at least it's uniform." :D

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The excellent development of Obi-Wan's character in the PT is the biggest reason I cannot stand PT bashing. Whatever else may be wrong with the PT (and often I don't even agree on those), the thing I care about the most is Obi-Wan, and he is absolutely perfectly done in the PT. I loved Obi-Wan as a kid because I liked noble, wise figures. But I don't think anyone could have imagined that the PT could actually *add* to the brilliance of Sir Alec's performance.

Alec didn't just play Obi-Wan as a wise old guy, but as a wise old guy with memory. Think about how little GL had really written of Obi-Wan and Anakin's past (Anakin wasn't even Vader in ANH!). And yet, Alec took that little bit and created a character who really seemed to be thinking back on things that had affected him deeply. Now with

Strangely, one of my favourite interactions in the OT now is Obi-Wan/Han. Before you just kind of figured that Obi-Wan was just being a skeptical old man, but with the PT, it's just hillariously ironic to me. He knows that he could out smart-ass Han if he wanted to ;)

And I have to agree with Diane on how I viewed Obi-Wan in the progression of the PT. He was my favourite character in TPM, but was still a somewhat brash young guy. I *love* him in AotC, though. A lot of the 'grouchiness' and such that people dislike are exactly the things I love. It really does bring out his living character. And in RotS, he grows so wonderfully into the essential Jedi and towards the man he will be in ANH. And I love all the little details. The fear of flying, for instance. That's something that didn't *need* to be in there at all, but the added detail tells us a little something else about the character and makes him more endearing.

I think some people expected Obi-Wan to already be a Knight in TPM and were surprised at how it was handled. In retrospect, though, I think it's absolutely appropriate to see Obi-Wan as an almost-Knight, to see that he, like Luke and Anakin, has his own tragic losses as a young man and to see how he overcomes them. The parallel is brilliant.

Instead of just seeing a younger-faced Obi-Wan who was just like the Obi-Wan of ANH, we see an Obi-Wan who really is different, just as everyone is realistically different when they are younger. We see it confirmed that Obi-Wan didn't just become wise by being born wise- he has experienced a lot of things and made some mistakes, but learned from them to get where he is. Watching the OT is all the more rich an experience because of that. All the memories Sir Alec had created in his performance have been filled in seemlessly.

That's why I absolutely adore the PT and am so unrepentently glad it was made, unlike many people who see nothing but bad in it. I can't wait to get to the point where I'm writing OT Obi-Wan because all the history is there and really helps to make the character the most full character in the Saga. It's really no wonder he was voted #1 :D

EDIT: I got the Star Wars PEZ collector's set [face_laugh] I also got a cardboard Yoda (to go with my Han and Obi-Wan) and some other little SW things. But my big SW present was a framed set of 6 frames of actual reels used in theatres, one from each of the SW films, and with little posters of each film above its respective frame. My parents got it at Sharper Image, where they apparently had quite a number of them. That's one of my favourite presents!

16. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Excellent thoughts, solojones! I agree that PT Obi-Wan really helps fill in the blanks of the OT Obi-Wan and, as a result, shapes him into well rounded character. I love the parallels between the two trilogies. They're really fun to find and discuss. :) I've always liked the PT. Seeing the Republic and the Jedi Order in the glory days was really worth it. Obi-Wan's words to Luke in ANH take on a much deeper meaning now that we've seen the lost era that he's remembering. We can grieve with him.

I understand that the PT movies have some minor gliches, but so does the OT. I was little when TPM came out and I didn't care about things like ruining the OT story or the characters. My only thought was 'Oh goody! Another Star Wars movie!' I remember not liking the pod race though. Too scary. ;)

But my big SW present was a framed set of 6 frames of actual reels used in theatres, one from each of the SW films, and with little posters of each film above its respective frame.

Awesome! :D What scenes are they?

17. honour

Jul 13, 2003
    solojones, top of the list of why I like the PT is the development of Obi-Wan's character...obviously:D I wouldn't term his character development as "excellent", especially not in The Phantom Menace, but it's nicely done generally, IMO, for some of the reasons you've pointed to. Re the rest of the PT: As time passes, I am starting to view it as a wishy-washy story with a couple of key characters who leave me either cold or completely disinterested. But I don't consider myself a PT basher;) because it has elements that capture my attention and imagination:)

EDIT: Have to add that the eyes of the ROTS Obi-Wan 12" action figure look incredibly blue...at least in the pic of the figure.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, like Nienna, I was young when TPM came out (though not as young as she- but I was only 11), so I didn't view it as critically initially as a lot of people did, which I think was good, because first impressions make a big differece. I was at a perfect age to experience all the PT movies, really (11, 14, 17).

But I do know what you mean. I really wish Obi-Wan had been given more careful attention, especially in TPM, but then of course GL was making Anakin's story, not Obi-Wan's. I actually think I enjoy the PT a lot more and feel more character development and weight just because I've read many lovely fanfics that add to underused characters like Qui-Gon and young Obi-Wan.

By "excellent", I suppose I mean more in terms of how Ewan has handled the character, which is almost universally agreed upon among fans and certainly doesn't need to be reitterated here. And again, more depth is added in my view just because of the extreme amount of depth given to the character by fanficcers (but not really by official authors :p).

However, I do give GL some credit for at least writing an Obi-Wan that is in different stages of life in all the films rather than simply making him a younger looking version of OT Obi-Wan. GL kind of set it up in a way that allowed someone very talented like Ewan to do more with it than what he really ought to have been able to do. Obi-Wan didn't end up the #1 favourite character for nothing. And ironically, Obi-Wan is one of the least hyped characters in terms of merchandizing, etc. But he doesn't need it to be one of the more complete characters in the saga, especially when fans take the time and have the talent to fill in the blanks. Again, that's the thing I love about reading and writing fanfiction the most.

Nienna, the scenes are 1) Han/Luke in Stormtrooper armour with Chewie outside the elevator 2)Luke on a taun taun 3) Artoo and Threepio in the hallway at Jabba's palace 4) Palpatine and some others at the ceremony on Naboo 5) Padmé about to hit the nexu with a chain 6) Obi-Wan standing by the large piece of ceiling he's just dropped on Grievous's guards :cool:

19. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    I agree that fan fiction really serves to 'complete' the characters by taking you into their minds, places that a movie can't go. The RotS novel also helped me connect the dots, so when I saw RotS again (after reading), I enjoyed the movie much more. Also, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fics add a deep emotional bond between the two that the JA books failed to do. It was the work of devoted fans, not Watson, that made Qui-Gon's death and Obi-Wan's reaction to it a heartbreaking scene that I look forward to every time I watch the movie. (Not that I want Qui-Gon to die, of course.) ;)

6) Obi-Wan standing by the large piece of ceiling he's just dropped on Grievous's guards

=P~

20. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I have to agree that fanfiction has filled in a lot of holes for me, too, if only because it got me thinking about things that might not otherwise have occurred to me. And those thoughts and fanfiction have definitely deepened the movie-watching experience, especially when it comes to Obi-Wan's character. As stated above, he really is one of the most well-developed characters of the Saga, but at the same time one of the most enigmatic. I mean, Anakin is kind of like an open book, it's easy to read him and you know what he's about. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, could probably be characterized several different ways, all while keeping canon intact.

21. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Happy New Year Everyone :)

Well I feel nice today so here's a present for everyone (ok a very small preent but still...)
    Go here for a couple of Obi-Wan pics (on right on top and another more toward the bottom).

22. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Oooh! Thank you Alley for the wonderful gift! [:D]

*studies pics* =P~

Happy New Year to you too!

23. Katieelessar

Aug 1, 2005
    *Gasp* :eek: The 4th page!
    I can't bear to see it down here!:p
    UP!

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Poor Obi - I fear he's been abandoned of late. [face_whistling]

Any ideas for a new 'obi-discussion'?

25. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    My goodness, people? Come on, let's discuss, we can discuss. "Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.