main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan-A Character Workshop: PT Obi and OT Obi: The Whole Package

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmm, I think I remember Anakin's ponytail, but it wasn't very big. He could have just been copying Obi-Wan. But if the other padawans have it, tooooooooooo. Wow, I wasn't paying attention. Oh, another Jedi detail to fuss over...

Do we know if Obi-Wan had a ponytail in the parade scene at the end? And has anyone speculated on any symbolism for the ponytail? Or maybe it's just Jedi fashion?

I'm going to have to find another term for ponytail...

2. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm not gonna repeat my comments about the "handle". It got me in trouble last time.

Look, it's Obi-Banner! All Obi all the time. There's something very very warped about the laying on his side pose.

KD

3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Yay! The Obi banner is back! [face_love]

4. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    I think I've heard ponytails referred to as "nerf-tails" in GFFA. [face_thinking] I kind of like it... less earthy, if you know what I mean.

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I do believe Obi had the pony tail still juz not the braid. Or I could be mistaken entirely. Been quite a long while since I've watched Ep I. [face_blush] I know...I know shame on me! ;)

6. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    And the Obi thread is officially alive again! [face_dancing]

Let's see...Obi at parade celebration...

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a157/woadraider21/ObiatNabooParade.jpg]

Does that help? ;)

I like 'nerf-tails'. I don't think ponies exist in GFFA... ;) But nerfs did. That's what Han herded. 8-}

Okay, I'm officially too tired to carry on a coherent conversation. [face_tired] Maybe I should go before I say something really silly...

But before I do - shame on you, Kynstar! [face_shame_on_you] :p

7. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Great pic Nienna - I love Spikey-Obi - the best of the bad-hair dos! :)

8. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I just had to replace my copy of TPM because it had a scratch on it and hung up in places on any DVD player, so I looked....when Obi-Wan turns to look down at Anakin you can still see his hair sticking out in back, sooooooo...

...I conclude that the ponytail in back is not a padawan thing. I really don't think he'd have it after being promoted to Jedi Knight if it were something connected to being a Jedi. Possibly it's a young Jedi fashion?

I've heard nerf-tail before, but if nerf-herder is an insult I wonder what parts of the nerf are? The online encyclopedia mentions them having long hair, horns, bad tempers and smelling bad, but it says nothing about tails. So, I'm more inclined toward:

- tail
    - hair tail
    - back tail
    - back lock
    - tail lock
    - long lock
    - caudal lock

I think I like the last one since it's unusual, but I'll have to try it out in a few sentences.

Hmmmm, Obi-Wan banner. Oh, he's such a tease. [face_mischief]

9. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Interesting thoughts about the ponytail; I don't recall seeing it mentioned in many stories, either.

But I do know the reason for the ponytail. You see, the padawan braid is symbolic and is used by the Master to tug on affectionately whenever his padawan does something good. However, when good padawans go bad, the master can't very well pull on that - not only is it far too small to cause the proper amount of pain, it could quite easily rip off and thus accidentally promote the padawan to master (and what sort of punishment is that?). Thus, the ponytail was invented. Or so it says in my copy of The Hobbit's Totally Invented Guide to All Things Jedi. :p

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    *Shuffles feet* I know Nienna_Narmolanya isn't it so sad?? ;)

[face_laugh] HHP that was great! Good = tug on braid bad = pull on tail *nod* I can see this! [face_laugh]

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    It's not a tail. [face_shame_on_you] It's a leash! [face_batting] If it was a tail it would be on his cute little rear! =P~ And I'd be okay with that, too. But I'd still retain the option to treat it like a leash! :D

12. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] I have to laugh at this - I've had more conversations about Obi-Wan's hair (and Qui-Gon's hair) than I have about anything else since being on these boards!

If it was a tail it would be on his cute little rear!

And I'm not even going to comment on that! :D

13. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    It's because the Jedi have the coolest hair styles. :cool: And those select few modeling them aren't half bad either. =P~

*must set good example for impressionable padawans* [face_whistling]

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh...we're supposed to set good examples?? :confused: Couldn't I just be a horrific lesson of what NOT to do? [face_thinking]

15. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Couldn't I just be a horrific lesson of what NOT to do?

Go for it, Vader LVR! You're an ideal speciman. :p

EDIT: I just read your sig, VaderLVR, and the second line really applies to something (a depressing something) that happened today at school. Reading it made me feel better. :)

16. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    [:D] Nienna...

[face_laugh]

I don't think I'll be able to visit this thread anymore being *ahem* an innocent and impressionable shadowan. ;)

*looks up at banner*

Although how anyone is supposed to concentrate on writing/reading when Obi's holding his lightsaber like that I don't know...[face_whistling]

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Trying to picture Qui-Gon tugging on Obi-Wan's braid or ponytail...said Padawan leaps up into the air to the ceiling, cartoon-style ('cause fthey're Jedi; they can do that) and lands at the opposite end of the room and wondering what Sith has possessed his Master...nope, I can't see it.

OTOH, given the wide variety of humanoids in the SW universe, if any human were born with a small tail, there might not be any real need to remove it. You never know what's under those Jedi robes.

18. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Although how anyone is supposed to concentrate on writing/reading when Obi's holding his lightsaber like that I don't know...

Shadowan! [face_shame_on_you] Do I need to give you 'fresher duty to distract you from that...handsome...dreamy..... [face_hypnotized] =P~

19. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    We sure do, Master! :D (here's me in all my Padawan glory! LOL!! )

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/newcloak1.jpg]

[image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/JerseyJedi/julie2.jpg]

20. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Nienna - [face_laugh]

This thread is getting out of hand!

ardavenport - I believe there was an XFile where babies were being born with tails. It might have even been the episode with all the Star Wars gags...I'll have to go look it up.

Edit: I was right. It's an episode called Small Potatoes from Season 4 incase anyone other than me is interested!

Mulder: "But the baby's father is an alien."
    Amanda Nelligan: "No, no, I didn't say he was an alien. I said he's from another planet. His name is Luke Skywalker. He's what is known as a Jedi knight."
    Scully: "Did he have a lightsabre?"
    Amanda Nelligan: "No, he didn't bring it. He did sing his song for me though." [Hums the theme to 'Star Wars']

ACk - posted at the same time Jade! :)

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    The episode was called "Small Potatoes" and starred X-Files writer Darin Morgan as a guy who could make himself look like other people, thanks to this weird tail he was born with (but had cut off when he was a baby). Ironically enough, that was also the episode in which one of the guest stars thought she'd been impregnated by Luke Skywalker. [face_laugh]

There was no episode with Obi-Wan, though. :(

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    My youngest son would wear a Padawan braid if my husband wouldn't freak. His hair is long, surfer style, and he'd look SO cute. But alas, my husband likes normality. :rolleyes:

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    My kids wear the braid whenever they are in Jedi costumes... I gave my oldest a rock for her 13th birthday and she got the reference.

24. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    What sort of rock was it, dianethx?

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find a black rock with red veinings so I just gave her a black obsidian rock. She gave me the wounded teen look and then giggled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.