main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jun 24, 2018.

1. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    It's inspired thinking and I like it. Never before now have I thought Rey Kenobi was a good idea, but the tying up of all nine films by having the grandchildren of the original protagonists battling it out is a nice concept. Plus the hints are there (retconned or not) with Rey's TFA force dream/hallucination featuring Kenobi's voice and the fact that the lightsabre that called to her was the one that Kenobi picked up himself and originally passed on to Luke.

TadoFett, Tan-Wessel and Wildcatbarry like this.
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I would agree with you if killing Snoke had changed Kylo, but it really didn't. Despite his words to Rey about forgetting Snoke and Skywalker and starting something new, in the next scene he's in, he's acting like to same old Kylo and as Supreme Leader he's doing exactly what Snoke would have done.

If Rey and Kylo had teamed up, or Kylo started sabotaging the FO only to go off on his own and not help the Rebels either, THAT would have been amazing and a real arc. As is, Snoke's death had no consequences on Kylo's character or the plot.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  3. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I would agree with you if killing Snoke had changed Kylo, but it really didn't. Despite his words to Rey about forgetting Snoke and Skywalker and starting something new, in the next scene he's in, he's acting like to same old Kylo and as Supreme Leader he's doing exactly what Snoke would have done.

If Rey and Kylo had teamed up, or Kylo started sabotaging the FO only to go off on his own and not help the Rebels either, THAT would have been amazing and a real arc. As is, Snoke's death had no consequences on Kylo's character or the plot.

4. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    My guess is that Luke will appear to Rey as a Force Ghost twice in IX (and to Kylo once), so three Luke scenes.

And in one of the Luke and Rey scenes while they are talking, suddenly we will hear Obi-wan's voice, talking to Luke, and they'll all have discussion about the Force, it'll be brief, but we'll get Luke saying "Obi-Wan!" and they will talk a little with Rey.

It'll be a little homage to ESB when we hear Obi-Wan's voice talking to Luke and Yoda inside Yoda's hut.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    TadoFett likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @Rodie don't stack your posts like you just did above. You need to either reply to several posts in one, or wait until some else posts before continuing.

TadoFett and Rodie like this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm guessing I will more possibly feel that way after Episode IX (I'm hoping at least). If they continue on where I feel like they're going, then I'm sure it will be a satisfying arc indeed. For Kylo Ren.

In my "left wanting" comment, I was mainly more referring to Rey anyhow.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. moxlox

Nov 1, 2012
    If Obi Wan really does turn out to be in Episode IX then logic suggests Anakin would be too. Which in my book would be cool; again tying up the nine part story.

TadoFett and whostheBossk like this.
  8. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    That's another great point. This video pretty sums up every single argument for Rey Kenobi.

I'm not saying JJ has to go that way, but I think it's a major possibility. It's also why I keep telling people -- for better or worse -- that you can't judge the ST's "pass-the-baton" storytelling approach until Episode 9. Do you really like Rey being a nobody? Don't get too comfy yet. Do you hate Rey being a nobody? Don't get too disappointed yet.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    TadoFett and moxlox like this.
  9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Will we ever see Obi-Wan again?

"What does your heart tell you?"

TadoFett likes this.
  10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think we will see an obi wan force ghost. if they bring him back i could see it as a flashback or force vision.

Same with Anakin actually. probably no force ghost unless there is some twist to it.

11. moxlox

Nov 1, 2012
    Why?

12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Younger vs older age continuity.

moxlox likes this.
  13. moxlox

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, of the actors?

Obi Wan is more nonsensical from this point of view because last time we saw him he was in Alec Guinness age/actor mode.

I still like the idea of this Rey Kenobi concept though. Until this thread I didn't entertain it, but I do quite like it for reasons I said above - story arc mirroring across all 9 episodes, with the grand children of both Anakin and Obi Wan concluding matters.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    TadoFett and Wildcatbarry like this.
  14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

It could be done using Ewan.

I'm a Rey Kenobi fan also @moxlox

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I just think they will play it safe and not attempt to pass off Ewan as alec guinness as he was in the OT.

I think people can adjust to Ewan being a younger Kenobi, but trying to make him alec guinness Kenobi force ghost could risk taking people out of the film abit.

There are other ways to bring Ewan back a obi wan in a way that doesn't require trying to pass ewan off as alec guinness. force visions, flashbacks ect ect.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  16. emviel

emviel Jedi Knight

Jul 13, 2015
    I never bought into Kenobi being associated with Rey, but I was watching TLJ again recently and for some reason finally noticed something related to this:

When Luke is on the Falcon with R2 and the message plays, as soon as "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi" is spoken, the shot goes immediately to Luke and he looks like a lightbulb just went off, then head down, then up again in a confused look.

And the shot immediately goes to a close-up of Rey's face, and of course Luke has decided to train her.

Rian is a very good filmmaker in my opinion (I know not everyone here agrees), I would be shocked if it wasn't intentional by him. I mean he did a lot of stuff in TLJ in a similar manner - Kylo mentioning FP would kill you to Rey, Yoda telling look Rey had everything she needed (cuz she had the texts), etc. Those were all payoffs later in the film. I am really wondering if this is a payoff in IX. I think this scene is awesome and if indeed it is tied to all this, it would make it.... something else.

I remembered after this how Anthony Breznican had been saying way back that he thinks LF is not done with Obi Wan for the ST, and that it could have something to do with Rey. This is why they were waiting on doing a spin-off, he claimed.

Then you add in the new rumored series and it seems like a decent possibility now. I'm not cheering or wanting for this to happen, it just seems too on the nose in that scene now. It's like I can't unsee it and I wasn't looking for it at all. I love TLJ (a lot) and was just having fun watching it again. I have no clue how they could tie it together but it seems possible to me now.

Has anyone else noticed this sequence before? I have been reading TFN for years but never had a thought like this to post. Wasn't sure if it was allowed to make a GIF of the sequence...

moxlox and TadoFett like this.
  17. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    You made me watch this scene again for I was curious... Frankly, I think he only reacts because he takes the "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope" for himself, which was probably what R2D2 hoped when he showed him Leia's message... At the time of ANH, Leia called for Obi-Wan, now she's calling for Luke. And it shows Rey directly after because just like Obi-Wan decided to train Luke, Luke now decides to train Rey.

There's nothing that prevents Obi-Wan from being Rey's grandfather though.... I guess it would have to go with the revelation that her biological parents were not really junk traders from Jakku who sold her for drinking money, but since the information came from Kylo it's not very difficult to dismiss it. Or she could have been sold by people who were not her parents.

moxlox likes this.
  18. Sloth

Sloth Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 8, 1998
    I would bet the house on it.
    It is literally the trump card which Lucasfilm can play to make ALL of the fanbase go nuts

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Well, we heard him in TFA, soooooo

InterestingLurker likes this.
  20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I really hope that we see Ewan McGregor.

Hologram, Force ghost, voice, maybe a scene in the netherworld of the Force...

As you can see by my avatar, I'd be all for this. :D

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I have no doubt that Ewan AND Hayden will be in the film. Possibly filming secretly, in the studio, or yet to be added in this summer.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is a valid point.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    May be Alec Guinness, if they find some unused footage.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That's one of the biggest and best mysteries at this point- which of the other old characters will we see that hasn't been revealed?

Ewan is a decent bet. Since they are tying together the saga, Obi could well get a spot in the finale since he was a major player.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    There is only so many they will bring back. problem is we could speculate all day all the different characters that could appear.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019