main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 1 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 26, 2022.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jun 10, 2022.
  1. 10

27.8%
  2. 9

23.2%
  3. 8

21.9%
  4. 7

15.2%
  5. 6

6.0%
  6. 5

2.6%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am pretty sure that in the real world scientist have discovered planets made out of diamonds seeing Alderaan have pleasant forests and mountains that look like they would take a week to hike isn’t shocking

2. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    They dropped the ball with the Anakin is alive reveal.

Obi Wann should've communed with qui gonn. Qui gonn should've been the one to tell him as a force ghost.

Qui gonn had the connection to both anakin and obi wann. Qui gonn yelled out to anakin when he turned. Yoda heard it as well.

Third sister had no place to tell that reveal

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It puts forth an interesting idea Reva's fall and obsession with Kenobi come from abandonment after the attack. I think we'll get more flashbacks which will be part of her back story. However, that would beg the question of if Reva is similarly obsessed with finding Yoda. Yoda has not been mentioned yet but is prominent in the recap video.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I assumed Reva's obsession is derived from Vaders obsession and she thinks she'll get special privileges or new respects for satisfying their master's most desperate desires at this point. There is no similar need to target Yoda, as despite his more significant station and power, Vader doesn't have quite the same emotional connection to him.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the Anakin reveal was good but that is just me it seems

7. dinnertime

dinnertime Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2020
    Decent performances all around, Ewan and Jimmy Smitts especially. Kid Leia was great.

A bit annoyed that a lot of the shots in the trailer were cut exactly the same when presented in the episode. Feels like something is lacking when they do that.

A bit more annoyed at Bail guilt-tripping Kenobi into helping, completely ignoring his own resonsibility to Leia and not getting called out on it. It appears to me the writers contorted the dialogue in order to clumsily say that girls are just as important as boys. Which is obvious and should go without saying. I just wish they didn't compromise the character writing in the process of saying it anyway.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes Bail could probably have saved Leia himself. But it might have taken longer. Plus Obi Wan can do much more than Bail. It’s a very real risk that Leia gets revealed as a force sensitive.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Bail Organa is a Senator. I doubt that when Ted Cruz' or Bernie Sanders' or some other senator's child gets kidnapped, they're going to try to incognito sneak around the criminal underworld trying to find her.

No, not even Bernie.

10. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    That was weird to me because I always thought that Obi-Wan knew Anakin survived all along. Padmé says on her death bed that there is still good in him, and Obi-Wan doesn't object to that and say "Nope, he's dead." And then he says "We must take the kids somewhere where the Sith will not sense their presence." If he thought Anakin died and that Palpatine was the only Sith left, wouldn't he just say "Where Palpatine/Sidious can't sense their presence"?

11. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Why on earth would he say that?? Just to cause her more grief?

He’s talking about the Sith in general—Palpatine and/or any other Sith, like any apprentice Palpatine might take on in the next 20 years, or any who might take his place.

12. dinnertime

dinnertime Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2020
    I agree, I don't think Bail should have necessarily done the rescuing himself, but he should have at least acknowledged his own responsibility in his conversations with Obi Wan. Ask as a favor, rather than expecting him to just go do it. If something happened to Luke, its not like Obi Wan would be able to ask him for the same kind of help. And it was an underhanded tactic to assign mysogynistic traits to Obi Wan to shame him into helping. I would expect Bail to be more considerate, respectful, and diplomatic.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Well, he probably wouldn't say it exactly like that, but I always took it as Obi-Wan sensing that Anakin is still alive. And the mournful look is one of "He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil." But the way they went with it in the series is a valid interpretation.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My point on Bail is he is no stranger to adventure. From what we have seen there hasn’t been a challenge in the show yet that bail couldn’t have done. However he didn’t know that. Plus he is right. She needs to be rescued as quickly as possible less Leia is found out

Shaak Ti and dinnertime like this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I never imagined Obi Wan didn't know by this point but I also had no reason at all to believe this or otherwise. If he has lived a very quiet and isolated life the entire time I can find it very believable that the poor, out of the loop peasants he slices whale meat with probably don't discuss the private lives of faraway Sith Lords while on the assembly line.

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I imagine that a father losing his daughter to a kidnapper and himself imagining the worst from such a scenario could easily not be operating as their best selves. That he was desperate and impulsive and emotional worked for me in the scene.

17. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I thought the reveal was fine. Do we know at this point if Obi-Wan has communed with Qui-Gon at all? It seems like Obi-Wan has been disconnected from the Force for quite some time. Maybe Force ghosts can only talk to someone who hasn't shut the Force off? And would we even know if Qui-Gon would know if Anakin/Vader is still alive? We don't really know the extend of what a Force ghost can do or what they know. And even if he does know maybe he's not telling him because of "A certain point of view" and what not. The only reveal that would've been perfect would be if Vader showed up and surprised Obi-Wan himself

Shaak Ti likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes it’s implied if not outright stated that force ghosts cannot communicate with those who have shut themselves off from the force

themoth likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought it was excellent.

20. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    It raises some questions, but I very much enjoyed the presentation.

my kind of scum likes this.
  21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Episode 1 was excellent :

1. loved Leia , it was a great surprise , she's a great little actor ( blows bowl cut boy out of the water )
    2. loved Bail being back
    3. Totally loved Alderaan , one of the more beautiful planets in Star Wars
    4. loved the intro of the PT flashbacks and makes this series a real sequel to the PT
    5. Totally loved Obi-wan , Ewan steps back into the role 17 years later like he never left
    6. loved the kidnapping plot
    7. Really enjoying the inquisitors

Bring on EP2 , EP1 left you wanting more.....

Ody_Mandrell likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey he’s a person and his name is Jake Lloyd.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Seriously? Can we not make fun of child actors who've already had to suffer years of abuse by ***hole Star Wars fans?

24. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Another question. Is everything filmed with the Stagecraft technology--even the scenes with little Leia in the woods?

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    10 years living with the idea his apprentice burned to death on a volcanic beach, washed away in a second. When he goes back to Tattooine he’s going to be a different man, even if his routine is generally the same.

Sarge likes this.