main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 1 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 26, 2022.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jun 10, 2022.
  1. 10

27.8%
  2. 9

23.2%
  3. 8

21.9%
  4. 7

15.2%
  5. 6

6.0%
  6. 5

2.6%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm with you! I found it quite well done, emotionally involving and very well acted by Ewan McGregor. Besides the obvious repercussions for Obi Wan, I immediately wondered how Reva knows of Anakin Skywalker being Vader, so I think it will also set up some interesting character/plot development in future episodes.

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    My mantra for this entire series is that I’d rather see it here live, even if it’s slightly dubious within the canon dialogue we know later, because this is our last chance to see this live with the real actors and I’d rather see it than just imagine it might have happened off screen. I think there’s going to be a lot lines like “Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough but your uncle wouldn’t allow it” style lines that might seem a bit off in ANH after this that we may have to reconcile with our own head canon explanations and I’m personally fine with it so long as the highlights of Kenobi warrant that and I have a feeling they will.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    During the events of Order 66, I think Reva sees Anakin in the temple killing Jedi etc. She is then obviously captured and turned into an Inquisitor. So regardless of any subsequent conversation she may have had with suited and booted Darth Vader, she’s obviously privy to his true identity… and Vader knows she knows… so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out. It wouldn’t surprise me if Reva is actually Vader’s secret apprentice, which is why she’s kind of acting with impunity around the other inquisitors… but we’ll find out. And I imagine that, given Reva is cognisant of her life turning to crap, she’ll blame Obi-Wan for Anakin becoming Darth Vader etc. and it’s probably why she’s obsessed with Obi-Wan (other than having to find him for her master).

LedReader, Yanksfan, Shaak Ti and 2 others like this.
  4. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I wonder who killed Nari (sp) ...?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The nary seen Jedi.

Ba-dum-tish

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I walked right into that one

8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Did this episode need the Fifth Brother? I wish it was just the Grand Inquisitor and Reva, like a dark version of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in TPM.

Darth PJ likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It’s an interesting question because the Grand Inquisitor wanted him captured so he could be interrogated not killed so it doesn’t seem like it would have been the Inquisitors. Does that mean he killed himself or maybe some of the townspeople who were afraid the Inquisitors would come back? Or did Reva find him before they left and kill him?

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Perhaps he put up a fight and they weren't able to take him alive? He did have his lightsaber after all.

12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I wasn't sold on this series, but picked up enough excitement/curiosity on Friday to jump in, and ended up really enjoying this first third (giving this episode a 9). One thing that surprised me is I almost got emotional when the PT montage started, and then I did get emotional when Obi-Wan dug up the sabers. I think there's a blend of modesty and reverence around Obi-Wan that's really effective, especially for this episode, and it's making me appreciate him even more.

The other surprise was Vivien Lyra Blair. She's a joy to watch as ten-year-old Leia, even a scene stealer.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    On Obi-Wan digging up the light sabers it’s honestly added a lot more to Rey sending them back to the sands

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well obi wan buried them on the planet he was living on. Rey buried them there because it was connected to the Skywalkers.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And they both used holes to honor Utapau. And sand because of Anakin.

LedReader and Shaak Ti like this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well I'm sorry but I was just making the point that young Leia's performance was way better than young Anakin's - it comes back to GL's writing dialog and Anakin's appearance - it's no refection on Jake Lloyd.

17. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    It's the timing that throws me. IIRC the Inquisitors are still hassling the locals about finding the Jedi and then they leave. Obi Wan finds him the next day...?? Did they just leave that city and go to another, or leave the planet altogether, and if so - where was the GI?? I assume this takes place between Anchorhead and Mos Eisley but doesn't really state which. Maybe I need to watch it again [face_dunno]

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I gave it 7/10 only because I wanted to wait to give higher ones later.

The first one moved a little slow, and honestly I didn't mind that. We see an Obi-Wan who is still haunted after the events of ROTS, which is expected since it was traumatic. I really like they showed that and how he's cautious now while keeping an eye on Luke.

I didn't expect to see a young Leia but it was very cool and you see a lot of OT Leia there. First her cousin sucked...I wouldn't have apologized to him. I wasn't sure what to expect when she got kidnapped. I liked the addition though.

Okay the Inquisitors...that was cool! I liked seeing the Grand Inquisitor in live action, also the others as well. I don't remember if the 3rd Sister was in Rebels but regardless she is an intriguing character and can't wait to see her develop.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. vader6006

vader6006 Jedi Master

Feb 5, 2006
    I wish the Grand Inquisitor was also in the 2nd scene with Reva and the scene with the thugs chasing Leia was kinda corny, but other than that it was a good first episode. I love the picture they painted of Obi-Wan's life on Tattooine. Obi-Wan having nightmares about Anakin was a nice touch, as well as his scene talking to Owen. I've always been curious to see more of Alderaan and Bail Organa at this time period, so glad they added those scenes as well.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I thought it was rather bad geocaching etiquette. When you take something from the box, you're supposed to leave something in its place. I bet he constantly just takes books from the little library, too.

Sarge, Swashbucklingjedi and Shaak Ti like this.
  21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don’t think she was better than Jake Lloyd… like at all. Both are/were perfectly fine, but she hardly gave a Haley Joel Osment level performance. Trying to distinguish between them, either at a performance or dialogue level, seems an incredibly self defeating and moot exercise.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Jake Lloyd was fine. I think Leia here actual benefits from builds off of Anakin’s character in TPM.

Is this your all time gold standard on child performances? ‘HJO Level’? Why did you come up with this?

Which HJO performance is your gold standard? Forest Gump, Second Hand Lions, Sixth Spence, Walker Texas Ranger? Or did you calculate all of them an decide on an average? How does the kid who played Elliot stack up on HJO Level Scale? What about Daniel Radcliffe and the other Harry Potter kids. And how about the cast of Stranger Things seasons 1 to 3? Shirley Temple?

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Haley Joel Osment seems a reasonable comparison to me.... in terms of compelling dramatic performances, but you can use Shirley Temple if that floats your boat... is Shirley Temple what you believe the baseline of acting in Star Wars is, or what it should aspire to be?

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I don’t categorize like that. Do you do this for adult actors? Who would you use?

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The only actor recently who really took away from anything was Cara Dune. There have been some side characters who’s acting I also thought was Meh. But I haven’t seen bad acting from any main character in Star Wars. Unless you count Dune as a many character. I think sometimes the writing has been lacking.

I think I Leia has been great.