main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 6 (Series Finale!!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 21, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jul 6, 2022.
  1. 10

46.6%
  2. 9

23.7%
  3. 8

8.7%
  4. 7

8.2%
  5. 6

5.9%
  6. 5

3.7%
  7. 4

0.9%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.4%
  1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Leia giving Obi Lola because he is scared :_|

Obi telling Leia about her parents and giving her Tala’s holster :_|

So many great moments between these two this series

2. vandark

vandark Jedi Knight

Dec 12, 2016
    The scene with Anakin/Vaders face and voice creeped me out quite a bit.... his evil smirk.

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There was one moment that I really loved.

When Vader is struggling even to breathe, and he confronts OW. He says "you didn't kill Anakin. I did.".
    This was a great moment for several reasons, but the main one is that it gave OW the closure he needed, and it is also a definitive answer to all of us, who have been debating about the role of OW in Anakin's downfall. It's a complex issue, but ultimately Anakin was an active character and the main responsible of his own turn to the dark side. And he was willing to embrace that responsibility, and remove the load from OW's shoulders.

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm not usually up for the 3am drop, but I've been up all night for unrelated reasons (waiting for the vet to call me back), and decided watching the new episode was the best way to stay awake.

Wow, first impressions? That was fantastic. I loved all the Obi-Wan and Leia stuff (as always), and that duel between Vader and Obi-Wan was pretty great. I loved the broken mask and seeing a grotesque Anakin peering out at him. So good.

Moses Ingram was great in her final scene. Story wise, I'm not sure if it felt a little rushed? But if it was, it wasn't glaringly so. At least not on first viewing.

How are we feeling about Luke being chased like that? That was the only possible canon head scratcher for me, but I haven't decided where I land yet. I'll wait for viewing number two.

I'm very tired. And incoherent.

But I really enjoyed that. I loved seeing Leia starting to evolve even more into the Rebel we'll see in ANH. And while it was a nice moment when Obi Wan was telling her about her bio parents, I loved it even more when she was like "it doesn't matter" or whatever. I'm an Organa fan, so....yeah,

Oh! Also, I thought they were indeed leaving the door open for a season 2 when Obi-Wan told Owen he was all the protection Luke needed---or words to that effect. It seemed like a setup to excuse any future excursions off planet Obi-Wan might have in any possible upcoming adventures (still don't want season 2 though! sorry! But I did think they were leaving the door open there).

Anyway good episode. I'm only sorry there won't be any new stuff next week. I really enjoyed looking forward to this every wednesday. *sniff*

5. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    "He betrayed and murdered your father"

6. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    So do you feel the rotj callback was Sheev's appearance or obi riding off into the sunset

7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Deborah Chow understands Lucas' story and the characters.
    That's why she delivered really powerful moments.
    The rhetoric that the Jedi caused Anakin's fall must die and it won't be soon enough before it does.
    Anakin admitting this, is another good step.

8. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    71 days until Andor.

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    With Reva still alive, i'm curious where she goes from here. By the time of ANH, 9 years after this show, the Inquisitor organization are gone, though since she is an ex one, she could avoid their fate. Maybe even staying under the radar so much that she is still kicking post RoTJ, becoming the last "Inquisitor". Or the more likely outcome is being hunted down like the typical order 66 survivors during the Imperial Era. Personally I prefer if she didn't survive into the OT era and even outlive Vader.

Hypatia, Jediking97 and Darth MikeSin like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So when the Executor was built did Palpatine make certain that Vader's holoprojector was a big giant head version when he found out that on Mustafar he's just an itty bitty hologram? Or is it because Vader gets to set his hologram settings to his own preference in his Castle?

Anyway that was incredible, going to watch it on a loop for about a month.

"You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. I did."

Luke being chased by some random lady with a laser sword and passing out doesn't seem like a "canon killer" at all. A canon killer would be Luke dies or suddenly uses the Force to make it rain on Tatooine.

Hypatia, Aah Fisto, 2Cleva and 6 others like this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Hello there!

That was really enjoyable. They did save the best for last, didn't they.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    “I am not your failure. You did not kill Anakin. I did.”

One of the best moments in all of Star Wars. I burst into tears. This series is perfect. I have so many thoughts but I can’t even process them right now. :_|

13. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Not really a fan of Reva ditching her saber.

Yes I know its symbolic for her change of nature, and keeping the star wars rule of good guys not wielding red.

But just like when Ben Solo did it, its dumb. Ben had no idea when he chucked his saber into the water that Rey would later give him Anakins to use against the Knights of Ren and Palpatine. Instead he should have gotten rid of his evil red saber when Palpatine is dead dead.

For Reva its even more stupid, since she lives in an era where Vader and the Inquisitors are kicking. Also if she runs into trouble that isn't force users, that saber would come in handy, especially if she isn't trained in blaster marksmanship.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pretty sure she isn't comfortable holding an Inquisitor saber, Obi-Wan can get her a spare.

Anyway Obi-Wan outfit at the end is like the classic Legends statue. And I noticed that Liam Neeson isn't credited in the episode at all, probably to try to keep it under wraps. Also his 2 lines had a hint of Neeson's personality. "Took you long enough!'

If there is a season 2 I'm guessing lots of Qui-Gon Jinn Force ghost training. I have no idea how they could incorporate Vader again, that's definitely neatly wrapped up until A New Hope. Obi-Wan now knows Darth is twisted and evil

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Qui-Gon appearing wasn't a surprise (I mean, they literally set it up at the end of the PT recap in the first episode), but I didn't expect his appearance to play out like that. I think some people might have a problem with how brief and un-dramatic it was, but I thought it was pitch-perfect. Just a quick "Hi, Obi-Wan", and a set up for Obi-Wan's training to learn how to become one with the Force (whether we'll ever see it or not). Beautiful ending.

16. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    That was fantastic - and for me, quite emotional. I was 7 when the original Star Wars came out, 13 for ROTJ - and in the long years leading up to the PT, I always assumed that the PT would end like this. In my imagination, ROTS would have been the second film, ending with Anakin becoming Vader, and the third film would close off the story of Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader. So now, in my 50s, I finally get to see the film I had dreamt about as a teenager, and it's actually pretty close to what I had in my mind.

I like the way that the episode tied up some loose ends and connected the two trilogies. I can finally see that the Anakin of ROTS and the Vader of ANH are the same person - mixing their voices was a masterstroke. Obi-Wan's 'from a certain of point of view' no longer seems like manipulative misdirection, this episode made that sense that Anakin and Vader are different people firmly a part of Obi-Wan's character. Knowing that Leia had a past with Obi-Wan puts a different perspective on Leia comforting Luke in ANH after Ben's death (and we know now why she makes it sound in her message like she's never met him before). And finally we get to see some delivery on Lucas' early promise that force ghosts would be an important element of the story with Qui-Gon's return. (I thought this could have been a bit more emotional though and tied back in some way to the Balance of the Force. Surely Obi-Wan's next line after the credits roll has to be 'Hey Master, about that whole you must train the boy, he is the Chosen One thing - I have a bone to pick with you about that ....)

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm one of the disappointed ones. They set it up but I feel like there wasn't any payoff to it and he kind of appeared just for the sake of appearing.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I never expected Vader to actually apologize to Obi-Wan. I mean he doesn’t really because he threatens to kill him in his very next breath but he kinda does. He gives Obi-Wan closure by telling him it’s not his fault. That was Anakin. Even if it was just a brief moment it was wonderful to see.

19. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    My favorite scene was at the end, when Obiwan told Luke on Tatooine that "Winter is Coming".

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It wasn't out of compassion, he just wanted OW to recognized his active role in turning himself to the dark side, because he was proud of it.

21. Morovir

Morovir Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2020
    What I was hoping to see (and my headcanon for what happens after the episode) was Owen tracking down and killing Reva after taking Obiwan's advice to heart about protecting Luke.

Hypatia likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I disagree, but I understand why you would feel like that. I like how brief it was, and how warm and loving, yet still Jedi it was.

I think it's both.

23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    When Anakin’s face was exposed & Ben becomes emotional, I wished he appealed to Anakin to come away with him. That he’d help him rebuild himself into the person he was. Would’ve added so much weight to Vader’s line in RotJ, that Obi-Wan also once thought he could be turned back. Missed opportunity IMO, but the whole sequence was still excellent.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I completely disagree. Anakin/Vader has never been proud of turning to the dark side. Anakin is literally in tears in ROTS because he knows what he has done is wrong. Vader is so self loathing that he wants to destroy everything that meant something to him in his former life. That is until Luke brings his compassion out and redeems him.

Throughout the prequels Anakin blames Obi-Wan for all of his own personal failings but here now when it’s just the two of them he finally admits that it wasn’t Obi-Wan’s fault. That he did this to himself. Ultimately there’s too much bitterness between the two of them for Anakin to latch onto that small part of himself that feels compassion so he buries it deep down again and hides behind the mask of Vader. But that was him. For the briefest of moments that was Anakin.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I think the fact that Obi-Wan says "Then my friend is truly dead" shows that the had still held out some hope for Anakin up until that moment.