main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Ah, just when I was getting used to the idea that the Obi-Wan show wasn't going to be the Kurosawa homage I'd pictured, here we are again, and it still sounds cool to me.

But yeah, now that you mention it, I doubt that Filoni, in a series that's already done a lot of Kurosawa stuff, would lean quite so hard into it as he did in "The Jedi" if there was even the slightest hint that the Obi-Wan show was going to employ that aesthetic.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think we know yet if Filoni will be involved in this at all

3. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Dude just the fact we are getting a Obi Wan show with Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, a confirmed rematch, all under the umbrella of ONE director, maybe the BEST director under the Mando umbrella (Bryce, Rick, Dave, Peyton I love you)((God the talent on this show is unparalleled in the history of television)) is just enough to make me anticipate and drool my way to the release of the first episode. We are so unbelievably lucky as fans right now. Favreau brought on an unbelievable amount of talent for this Franchise and we get to just sit and absorb it all.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I wasn’t saying it like it’s a bad thing. In fact I think it’s great. Don’t get me wrong I like Filoni but I think it’s good to let other people play in the sandbox as well

cwustudent and StardustSoldier like this.
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    He isn't. As far as live action goes, the only stuff that he's involved in seems to be The Mandalorian and its various offshoots (The Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic, and Ahsoka).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He’s also working on Bad Batch but only as one of the like 5 EPs

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Hence me specifically referring to his live action projects in my post. ;)

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Chow is going to kill it. I’m much more excited by up-and-coming directors like her and Famuyiwa than already-mega-blockbuster directors like Jenkins for the future of Star Wars. I’m OK with Jenkins and other big names getting to occasionally direct a SW film, but I want to see all this newer talent gain in prominence and grow into those roles for SW.

9. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Interesting, as recently as the week of December 24th they were shooting/in pre-production on Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Or to be more exact, it was listed by Production Weekly, so there were doing something Obi-Wan Kenobi related...
    ...as well as The Book of Boba Fett and The Mandalorian season three.

The Book of Boba Fett
    is of course no surprise. The Mandalorian is a little bit maybe, but if they were sharing sets or something like that with the The Book of Boba Fett, then no real surprise there either.

For Obi-Wan Kenobi though, it was also shooting or in pre-production during the week of the 17th, and the week of the 10th of December. As well as the week of November 26th.

I believe the bulk of Obi-Wan Kenobi is being done at Pinewood Studios in London. And ILM said that they'll have a new StageCraft (The Volume) set up and running in London by February, so that would square with Ewan McGregor giving the March 2021 start date (start date for him, at least).

Productionlist.com still has the January 4, 2021 date...
    So it's starting... sort of. :cool:

And at 6 episodes they could have it done by the end of the year (or fall) if they wanted to, I suppose. But 2022 is naturally the most likely date.

And not Star Wars related, but Shōgun has begun too, I see, at FX.

And the FX head said...
    ...and Deadline said that they were hiring "cultural consultants " to help with the scripts, so fingers crossed.

Anyway, again, Obi-Wan Kenobi is "starting" as early as Monday. So maybe some new... news is in the offing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    StardustSoldier likes this.
  10. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Just wanted to share one of my posts to Reddit regarding a Kenobi vs Vader dual making sense.

Over the Christmas period I was able to rewatch the original trilogy, only this time with the advanced knowledge that the Kenobi series is being created and a rematch with Vader is heavily rumored. I will break this down the best I can so it's easier to read, but all in all, I'm going to attempt to convince you that a rematch not only takes place, but it NEEDS to for the story.

Point 1 - Padme "Obi-Wan...there's good in him...I know, I know there is......still"

Imagine the situation, you've been involved in a war for the past 2 years, in the past week/month you (The Jedi) have managed to defeat the next 2 in command of the separatists that you knew of. Then your world falls apart, the religion you follow has been completely destroyed by your adopted younger brother who you unconditionally love. Because of his actions, you're forced to try and stop him and in doing so you left him in a world of hurt burning like a piece of meat that's fell into the BBQ.
    Then you attempt to save his wife who just gave birth to your adopted niece and nephew; before her last breath she states, "Obi-Wan...there's good in him...I know, I know there is......still", and now you have to go to a planet with two freaking suns to live in a desert, tasked with watching over a kid whose family don't want you to have anything to do with him. You spend the next 10 years living alone with just you and your thoughts.

So, whats the point?

I believe those final words from Padme have been playing with Kenobi for the past 10 years. He's probably depressed and insane (As Owen mentions something similar in ANH) and is fed up with feeling hopeless. Yes, he's been given a task, but this quote must be preying on him surely. As a result, I think this would lead to Kenobi leaving his task in a final attempt to try and turn Vader back to the light. So instead of Vader hunting Kenobi, its actually going to be Kenobi hunting Vader.

Point 2 - Okay, but Vader states in ANH that "I sense a feeling which I haven't sensed since... and then later states "You should not have come back"

First quote - He never states a time, in my opinion, he seems quite surprised to sense him. Possibly thinks he is dead?

Second quote - This quote makes complete sense for there to be another dual, and intern provides back up to my first point, as Vader is stating Kenobi came and left a time before.

Point 3 - Vader knows about Luke before ANH

I'm confident I'm correct on this, Vader knew he had a son, he just didn't know it was Luke until he sensed him during the trench run. I can see Kenobi giving up this information to Vader in a rematch in an attempt to turn him back to the light. He doesn't give up his location but he wants Vader to know he has family out there.
    Does he know about Leia?

Possibly, the lines in ROTJ could suggest he already knew, but there's no reason for Kenobi to give that information in the first place compared to giving up the information about Luke.

Point 4 - Right, if they have a rematch, who wins?

I have 3 possible outcomes as you can imagine, here they are with a little context.

Draw - The obvious one, can't see it happening tbh.

Kenobi win - Likely, considering Vaders prosthetics it makes sense for Vader to lose and still be alive, however, I think this only weakens Vader, when in return we need to strengthen him.

Vader win - I can see Vader winning and believing Kenobi is dead and gone, hence why it could also tie into the line in ANH as he thinks Kenobi is back from the dead.

Conclusion

Yes this is just an opinion, we all have our own opinions on how the show will go. My main objective of this post was to highlight several points that actually make complete sense for Kenobi vs Vader to happen again.

cwustudent and Master Cado Afu like this.
  11. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 17X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Just by watching the Mando Season 1 Gallery, I have no doubt that Deborah Chow will maintain the Filoni/Favreau style of GL Star Wars.

12. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Overall I agree. A couple of the points though...

The one about "He never states a time, in my opinion, he seems quite surprised to sense him. Possibly thinks he is dead?"

Funny, because a few weeks back I looked at the scene again too, and it's Tarkin of course who thinks that Obi-Wan may be dead...
    ...Vader doesn't seem to think that at all.

And when they finally meet again, obviously not...
    And point 3, knowing about Leia...

Obi-Wan obviously knows that there's a daughter, he was there when she was born and named. And was there with Yoda and Bail Organa when it was decided to split the two up. He's never in a place to tell Vader about either one of them though; and not that he would anyway.

And Palpatine of course tells Vader that Padmé is dead.

And I believe they did the Luke reveal in a Marvel comic...

[​IMG]

They can of course retcon this, but Boba Fett fans may not be too happy about it. :cool:

Other than though, yeah, on the whole there's nothing really stopping a duel from making sense. And every indication from Kathleen Kennedy and Deborah Chow that it will happen.

And win, lose or draw, who knows. I hope for a draw because Obi-Wan Kenobi is my favorite character and I don't want him to ever lose because I'm childish like that. :cool:

No, I kid. He can lose.

The Duchess Satine coined "collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi" is able to be defeated.

And while "Form III, Soresu, the Way of the Mynock, the Resilience Form" style of Jedi combat is virtually unbeatable, if the story calls for it, fine. Ha!

I'm guessing that George Lucas will probably show up on set.

He's been friends with Kathleen Kennedy since around the Raiders of the Lost Ark days, I believe (and she'll show up on set because she's obviously the president of the company, but she's also an Executive Producer on Obi-Wan Kenobi, along with Deborah Chow and Ewan McGregor and others); and there's Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen that he may not have seen since Revenge of the Sith.

So the Maker himself may make an appearance on set.

In terms of style though, yeah, it's desert, it's Tatooine (at first, then we go off-world on an adventure), and it's Obi-Wan Kenobi. So George Lucas.

RyanForder and Lord-Skywalker like this.
  13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Hayden was at Lucas' wedding in 2013. If Lucas does show up I hope they use any suggestions he gives. Ron Howard definitely understood that Lucas knew Han better than anyone and used his idea for the coat closet scene.

14. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    There's a line in Rebels, too. Obi-Wan believes Luke is the Chosen One. I think Obi-Wan ties the responsibility of the Chosen One to Anakin's lightsaber.

I just imagined Obi-Wan offering the lightsaber to Vader, only for Vader to take it and toss it over his shoulder. :p

You brought up something that was on my mind the other day. Obi-Wan is the link between Padme's dying words and Luke's hope for his father. Perhaps Obi-Wan realized that he must appeal to Vader's emotions, and will reveal that he, Vader, has a son.

It does make ESB a bit more sad, when Vader cuts off Luke's hand and the Skywalker lightsaber is lost. Vader isn't fighting his son; he's fighting himself.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    RyanForder, Deliveranze and RetropME like this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    *Could Wuher (possibly played by Nick Frost) appear as Ben goes into Mos Eisley for supplies he couldn't pick up in Anchorhead? Did Ben need to build his home, was it there and he repaired it?

*So we have, 10 years later, the prospect of him tinkering with whatever comforts he decides to install. Ben visits the Lars moisture farm when Owen is out in the fields, it may then when Beru learns what became of her step-brother-in-law. When in Anchorhead does Obi-Wan shop at Tosche Station and run into Biggs (then around 17-18), which leads to Biggs yearning to make a difference, Fixer (then around 14 or 15) and Cammie (also around 14 or 15)???

*What if whilst searching the galaxy on the errands of Palpatine and Vader, Inquisitors just happen to venture as far as Tatooine, where they get a lead to a possible Jedi sighting, in their over confidence they fail to report it to the Empire and confront a man named Ben only to find out to their absolute horror it is the Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi???

*Meanwhile back on Mustufar, in the isolation of his meditation chamber, Vader ponders his past, trying to connect through the Force with his former master. His servent, a Sith Eternal follower and Acolyte of the Beyond, Vanee cautiously disturbs his master's meditation to inform Vader of the Emperor's latest task... setting Ben and Vader on a collision course....

16. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I wasn't saying that he was, just that he'd be aware of the development on the Obi-Wan show, and if it were shaping up to be "a" SW-via-Kurosawa-style thing, he probably wouldn't have directed "The Jedi" as "the" quintessential SW-via-Kurosawa-style thing that it is.

17. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Ah, I see.

And thinking about it, and it was too late to edit my post, but it's highly doubtful George Lucas will travel to London just to visit the set. Because somehow I had totally forgotten about COVID-19; even though I have CNN or MSNBC on literally all day long. :cool:

No, he's not going to go through the hassle of quarantining once he gets there, and then going through whatever new steps may come up in order to come back into the U.S. All just to pop over to London to say "hello." :cool:

Yeah, and the recent "news" or update (about the old rumor) about Temuera Morrison playing Commander Cody in Obi-Wan Kenobi. That's one of those things that I'll believe when I see it and not a moment sooner. Because I'm scratching my head, like, "what would be the point"? Because Commander Cody has already betrayed him once due to Order 66, so if he's going to be among the Jedi hunters that Deborah Chow spoke of; and that in and of itself would seem weird to me, because Jedi hunters implies Inquisitors to me, and why would an old clone be among that? Anyway, I don't really see what Commander Cody adds to the story, other than just to do it because you can.

We'll see, I guess.

And speaking of doing it just because you can...
    Now, that's something that I would like to see: Tosche Station, and Biggs and Fixer and Cammie...

...and of course a 10 year-old Luke. And just briefly, nothing crazy for Luke, or the others.

And of course I'd like to see Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru too.

I want to see the falling out that Obi-Wan and Uncle Owen I assume had...
    I'd like to see the two of them argue about Anakin. And it's highly doubtful that'll happen, but whatever.

And to justify my belief that the pause that Obi-Wan gave Luke when Luke asked about his father was because Vader was his father all along, and that's why Obi-Wan paused, because it was planned all along by George Lucas! :cool:

No, anyway...

But yeah, I'd trade all of them over Commander Cody any day of the week. And no, we can't have both. Ha!

18. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    You know, this isn't the right show for it chronologically, but ever since the ANH footage integrated into R1 and now especially after the Mandalorian finale, and the seemingly endless number of live action projects, isn't it almost inevitable that that a cleaned up version of that Biggs/Luke footage will end up onscreen in canon at some point?

19. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    Oh, that's neat. I actually never knew that before, about the ANH footage that was put into R1.

20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think that Deborah chow is a fantastic choice I would love for her to get a movie as well, I also hope Peyton reed gets one as well! They both know how to make Star Wars feel like Star Wars!

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. And Famuyiwa.

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Exactly, it's not about bringing in these characters to take over the series, but to build up this world so we know exactly where we are, why everyone is where they are when the story picks up as the Jawas sell the droids to Owen in ANH. Ben's life on Tatooine involves the Lars family, it involves young Luke and it'll involve Luke's friends.

23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No. Only because I want him to be chosen for MCU X-Men. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Has there been an expected broadcast date for this series? Late next year maybe?