main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What is there for Boba?

2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I really wish these investors and press know their SW better, so they could give us more accurate descriptions [face_laugh]

Deliveranze and Cyber Spark like this.
  3. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    From what I can deduce, all this sounds awesome. Cannot wait.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    In that context, how does the investor know to describe Vader’s stormtrooper entourage as the 501st? I don’t know. Sounds off.

5. Cyber Spark

Dec 27, 2020
    At the time, they were technically still Clones.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, looks like all the UK sets were for Andor.

8. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes. To me, this is where they should spend their time. Flashbacks allow this and more importantly they don’t mess with established canon or events that have already occurred. I’m still very weary of them shoving things into this show that won’t "play nice" with the prequels or even the OT. If that happens then I’m OUT. Not doing it. I love ObiWan as a character of course. But he did get a lot of screen time in the prequels and a good mount in ANH. He has a solid arc per se.

So, sure, let’s do some epic clone wars scenes with him and anakin. But I’d stay mostly in the past. I just don’t think him sitting around on Tatooine makes for interesting viewing. It also gives too much reason to fabricate stuff and muck up known events.

9. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    My take on that would be that the Clone Wars era feels done to death. There have been two animated series covering it, with the latter being hugely successful (although I haven't really seen it) The twenty year period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope remains generally unknown, and therefore untapped. I don't think it would disrupt prequel or original trilogy canon to depict the following:-

1. Obi-Wan going off-world. He said he would watch over Luke, but he didn't say that this would be a full-time job for him. I think that Luke's appearances will be infrequent, if at all (although the prospect of seeing Luke as a young boy on Tattooine is pretty awesome) Obi-Wan can therefore leave for adventures around the Galaxy as long as he is back for A New Hope as far as I am concerned.

2. Obi-Wan meeting or even fighting Vader. Vader's greeting to Obi-Wan on the Death Star "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan, we meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but to learn, but now I am the master" To me, this is simply Vader boasting about how far he has come since he turned to the Dark Side, it doesn't have to mean that when he turned was the last time they actually met.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    naw ibo likes this.
  10. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Some good points here. Yes, TCW has a lot of material devoted to it although not much live action. I get it though, we have a lot there to chew on already and no doubt the time frame between EP3 and EP4 is mostly untapped sans The excellent Rogue One. So, sure, for that time frame it works. I like the idea of a young Luke being involved too if it’s done correctly. Yes, please try and have it line up at the end with ObiWan being back on Tatooine at the end. :).

Your second item is the one that gets a little tricky for me. I get that Vader’s line in ANH about "we meet again at last..." doesn’t have to be taken purely literal but I’d prefer that to not get too off the path per se. If the show spends an inordinate amount of time with those two fighting and chasing each other then IMO that will impact the originals in a negative way. That’s my concern. But I’ll reserve my worries and see what they actually do.

I just like SW best when movies and other content flow nicely into the next content and we don’t get too many moments of WTF and wrecked storylines. This is why I hate Rise of Skywalker so much.

wobbits and Lobot's Wig like this.
  11. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I totally agree that it doesn’t have to interrupt cannon and I absolutely think your first point is not only a likely scenario, but a welcome one. Obi-Wan will of course have to go off world a few times to make sure nothing exceedingly harmful comes Luke’s way and to protect the secret of Luke’s heritage, if not from Vader — whom Lucas has affirmed refuses to visit Tatooine again because he has sworn off the identity of Anakin — than from anyone who could possibly inform Vader about it. Your second point, though it’s been affirmed and needn’t contradict canon, sounds on the face of it like it may detract from the power of “when I left you, I was but the learner” the prospect of which rather saddens me a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I kinda cherish those "leaks" where we are regaled with "I know an investment banker who visited the set as a potential associate producer and he told me that he knows for a fact that Wat Tambor will crash a stolen Eta-2 Actis-class light interceptor into a Tibanna Gas transport on Byss while being pursued by hoojibs piloting a repurposed holocron. And it's true because he doesn't know anything about Star Wars".

TCF-1138 , EHT, Master_Lok and 2 others like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The OT era was done to death decades ago yet they still go back to it

cwustudent and Shamear like this.
  14. Cyber Spark

Dec 27, 2020
    Well, this isn't one of those leaks, this came directly from the press.

15. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It’s a setting in the fictional galactic history that’s much more rife for action/drama than the PT setting. Like how the Elizabethan era is great for romcoms. Unlike real history, though, fictional history sometimes needs a generation or so to settle into popular myth, so the ST setting isn’t ready yet.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I agree but that wasn’t my point my point is even after things are done to death we still do stuff with them

cwustudent and Darth_Articulate like this.
  17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't know how much time that can be spent with Clone wars flashbacks. Even though people say no de-aging will be needed. I think people are being overly generous. There will certainly be de-aging needed in those scenes. They are still noticeable a little older then they were 15 years ago. which means money for every second they are on screen.

I mean it probably will be easier to de-age them then it was with Luke where he had a straight up CGI face, but still. Can only hope Disney put the money in here and we get some interesting stuff out of it.

Shamear and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    It would be a waste of casting Hayden if we don't get flashbacks. If it's just one scene in heavily burned makeup where you can go "Hey, that's Hayden!" while for the rest of the show, you would have to look at the credits to know Hayden was even in it, then the show loses points automatically for that.

That would be Disney essentially "having their cake and eating it too."

"Hey, we casted Hayden Christensen to show we don't hate the PT, but we will cover him up so people who are mad he's in the show will barely have to see him! Genius!"

19. Cyber Spark

Dec 27, 2020
    Press descriptions of concept art describes a flashback to Operation Knightfall, with a Jedi defending Younglings as Anakin and the 501st march into the Jedi Temple. So, we're getting at least a few flashbacks of Hayden as Anakin.

20. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree. With regards to #2, I don't think that really gives a time frame, it's simply a reference to the LAST time they met, if it's ten years before, that is still a lot of years. (And I have to admit I do get a bit of a kick out of Vader's line, because he still isn't the master, Obi-Wan straight up disappears on him, a power completely unknown to Vader at that point, he's stepping on the robe like "No WTF, not again!!!" all confused, it IS dramatic and kind of awe inspiring when you think about it in terms of what Obi-Wan just did, but also a bit comical seeing the fearsome and powerful Darth Vader being all "!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!"). And it doesn't even need to directly reference their last meeting, but as you say when he turned to the Dark Side, but it still doesn't mean they never met again since he turned.

With regards to Obi-Wan going off world, I just thought of this yesterday which is a coincidence, there are a couple other lines, like when Obi-Wan says "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing", people generally say that when it's something they've kind of been doing, not something they are doing for the first time in 20 years. It basically makes it sound like he's had other messages asking for help and gone and helped. Not every week but perhaps a few times since he's been there on Tatooine. Now it's not a definite and I'm sure that's not what Lucas thinking at the time but he wasn't thinking a lot of things at the time like Luke and Leia being siblings, and that's why we got that ridiculous "point of view" line, Lucas had to cover up his story change, etc. LOL But it would still fit.

So if Obi-Wan going off world becomes part of the story, I don't think in hindsight it'll look like they've changed canon, at least in regards to that because it doesn't really contradict much of anything.

21. Cyber Spark

Dec 27, 2020
    Again, articles from the press describing the investor/press exclusive footage does specify that yes, Obi-Wan and Vader's fight is real, and yes, Obi-Wan IS leaving Tatooine, McGregor said that it starts on Tatooine and he goes on an adventure from there.

themoth likes this.
  22. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    HELLO HERE, HELLO THERE!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Agreed. There's so much potential for some very nice action if they elect to go the route of flashbacks to clone wars battles. Seeing Obi Wan and Anakin together again fight sequences is definitely something I'm looking forward to. Ewan and Hayden put in so much work with their lightsaber skills that with a little practice I bet they'd get their forms back in no time. I'm pretty curious what that business on Cato Neimodia was that doesn't count...

Shamear, naw ibo and Deliveranze like this.
  24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Possible flashback? Unrelated?

[​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a meeting between Maul and Obi-Wan is a possibility, timeline-wise.