main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    My problem with this plot is that he does not seem to be suffering greatly at the end of ROTS. He goes to Tatooine to do his duty. Why are people assuming that he has to "rediscover his faith and purpose"?

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Couldn't he just be putting on a strong font throughout? He was with Yoda for most of the latter bit, mainly it was simply the calming presence of his Master that helped him deal with what was happening; but then he struggled once he entered isolation?

Valiowk likes this.
  3. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    They could do that, but you have to believe Kenobi is mentally weak enough to fall apart from what's happened. He's seen so much tragedy in his life as a Jedi and had decades of emotional training, I have no idea why people assume he'd be traumatized like a normal person would be.

I think suffering PTSD Kenobi is a fan creation that has little support from what we see in the films, especially the end of ROTS. Edit: not every character needs to be traumatized and suffering to be interesting. What I find interesting about Kenobi is his strength.

But more importantly, I find the idea of a Jedi needing to rediscover their purpose too close to Luke's story. In fact, it's the same story. No thanks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    cwustudent likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It’s a lot easier to be enthusiastic about a plan at the beginning. Much harder after spending years in isolation in the desert without much hope of training the boy you were sent there to watch over. Anyone could start to lose faith after enduring that.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

There's plenty of drama in getting into this character stuff. You seem to be acting like it's all going to be internalized & never expressed and we have to garner the drama from facial expressions alone or whatever. Yes, that would be dull. Thing is, there are plenty of ways to illustrate this - we've heard those Jar Jar reports, and if they're true that's probably their "in", the whole point he's there, someone to talk to, open up to. Like some 'Nam vet who doesn't talk about the war, not wanting to expose his family to the weight of all that - but some war buddy visits? That's reminiscing-about-friends-and-lamenting-the-horrors time.

Mucho drama available with that stuff if you do it right, not to mention the whole Obi-has-training-to-complete thing. Qui-Gon & Yoda mystical **** abounds.

Things don't have to be as huge & rife with galactic consequences here as Luke's crisis of faith/self-exile. Yes, Obi-Wan's removed from the fight, but it's not like he alone was going to be able to turn the tide of the Empire's rise anyway. That's the whole point of he & Yoda going underground, they're devoting themselves to a purpose, the long game. Seems pretty "dramatic" to me, oaths and singular priorities/responsibilities, wondering whether they're doing the right thing but ultimately trusting in the force, all that jazz.

And this should be relatively light on "plot" anyway, by nature of what it is. It's the relative calm between the giant waves of the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War further down the line. Yeah, the Empire's out there consolidating power, but Obi-Wan's voluntarily removed himself from the fight for now, live to fight another day. Even knowing and expecting that day's going to be years and years down the line once Luke & Leia have grown up.

6. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    Got to say I’m warming up to the idea of a depressed, weary (bearded?) Jar Jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Santa Binks.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Jolly old Saint Binks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    ewoksimon likes this.
  9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Because he's
    m********ng Sam L Jackson

RetropME likes this.
  10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I'm happy to say I've missed the Jar Jar rumors. Someone give me the bad news.

I have to say, my fellow fans, that the more you try to describe the specifics of a depressed Kenobi show, the more I feel I've made my point.

Scenes of Kenobi meditating. Scenes of him tragically reliving the past. Scenes of him getting bored while waiting to train Luke.

One of the first things you learn about storytelling is never to represent bored characters. That doesn't create momentum. Momentum is created by following the character's desire. Kenobi's desire is what, only to train Luke? And the momentum this creates is what: he makes sure to sit in the desert for years?

I'm sorry folks, I just don't understand the interest in this.

I believe the writers will give us more momentum and thus more action than this. Here's my prediction for the show: there will be adventures whether on or off Tatooine. Without this element, it's hard to see how the character's desire can take meaningful shape, other than action taking the form of: this morning Kenobi tries to rise from bed and hunt a lizard.

How would meditation be interesting? There's some potential for desire here, I admit. Kenobi trying to connect to the Netherworld. But again, I think this has to go in a direction like the Yoda arc on TCW, or it can be boring.

If the Tatooine action amounts to saving more boring moisture farmers, like one of the worst episode on Mando -- those Krill farmers were dull, dull, dull -- then I feel this series may be a mistake.

Right now I'm imagining drunk Kenobi and Jar Jar in a bar together, drying in their drinks, saying, "Meesa sure miss the old days!"

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I can think of a million ways to make a long sojourn in the desert interesting.

But I’m also open to a completely different type of show.

The Mandalorian taught me to keep my mind wide open when it comes to Star Wars, and set my expectations and desires aside. I was expecting a very different show than what we got, and was for the first time in my movie and TV-watching adult life, genuinely and delightedly surprised. It just completely ignored my expectations and created a whole new type of world ad story. If the Obi-wan showrunners can come in and pull out the rug from under us (in the good way that Mando did), I’m all for it.

Heck, have the opening shot be Obi-wan stranded on an asteroid with his oxygen running out. Then cut to Tatooine and keep us guessing what the heck was happening in that scene. Or...give us a straight sojourn in the desert story, but as with the Mando and Baby Yoda, introduce really intriguing and fresh characters that inject the show with a unique vibe of its own.

Don’t just deliver exactly what most expect, I say.

cwustudent and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

There is no bad news. There's "Jar Jar's supposedly in the Obi-Wan show".

*Shakes fist in the air in Chalk's direction*

13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    There are many different ideas you could do with Obi Wan on Tatooine. the reason why its hard to see is because you need to think outside of the box abit and not be afraid of expanding on Obi Wans time on Tatooine thats not just NO! HE WAS DOING NOTHING! HE WAS SITTING AROUND BEING BORED FOR NEARLY 2 DECADES! SO SAYS MY HEAD LORE!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Added difficulty of not having Kenobi riding around on a blurrg, or battling Jawas, or infiltrating an Imperial Outpost in a run down desert township to protect a child with special powers, or searching for a bounty hunter out in the sands and encountering Tuskens, or meeting up with a secret society of escaped Jedi to perform their ancient rituals.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  15. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In this new era of Star Wars we have entered, I doubt this will be the last Star Wars live action TV project to not appeal to a certain segment of Star Wars Fans. The more intimate visual scale, and focus on a wider range of Character types, will inevitably make us Fans more choosy about what we are excited about. The bright side is that with the larger number of Star Wars releases(without the long wait time hopefully) we will be getting, it will make it easier to just skip over certain Shows.

16. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

*Headdesk*

Ah, the ol' binary thinking. Like there's no rational middle-ground between off-fighting-flashy-lightsaber-war-on-Imperial-worlds and sitting-around-with-his-thumb-up-his-butt-for-20-years. :rolleyes:

Exile and reflection while keeping a watchful guardian eye isn't "doing nothing". Get into the nitty-gritty on that. The meditation, the worldliness, the perspective, the wisdom. Plenty of meat there if you want to see it.

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I would love to see Kenobi on Jedha. Maybe a meeting/showdown there with Vader.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Jedha yes! Such a good idea. Also, no on a meeting/showdown with Vader. I don't want that to happen until ANH.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Pilgrim? I wonder if Obi-Wan the Grey will have a big walking staff? :p

21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    To me, a "pilgrim" implies a "pilgrimage." That is, Obi Wan may be doing some traveling and not just sitting in his desert pueblo creepily stalking and peeking at a growing Luke. Perhaps he'll be tying up some loose ends? Visiting Ahch-To? Getting in good with the local scum and villainy, perhaps?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t think we can really determine anything plot-wise from a working title. I mean ROTJ was “Blue Harvest” TLJ was “Space Bear.” Neither has anything to do with their respective films.

23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Maybe the show is about Obi-Wan running around acting like John Wayne? I love that the article seems to assume that changing the working title to 'Pilgrim' means that Obi-Wan is probably leaving Tatooine and likely going to Jedi. A bit of a jump, no?

Mostly Handless and Seerow like this.
  24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Nothing but wild speculation. At the end of the day, Kenobi is human and being alone is hard, particularly carrying the burdens he does. I can imagine a breakdown or loss of faith happening at some point while he is supposed to be on Tatooine, much as Jedi aren't supposed to ever do that. Could he start falling? Maybe he just goes looking for another Jedi out there, any Jedi just to have his preferred company to talk to. He may not find one and may instead find something more like the Bendu on Atallon and another Mortis like adventure takes him. Jedha sounds like one of those force lore rich planets.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Um, excuse me. Han digging up blue potatoes while enslaved on an Ewok farm and Leia being attacked by a hairless bear while floating through space were two of my favorite scenes in those movies.

EHT, Panakas_Dawg and Riv_Shiel like this.