main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    From the layout of that casting announcement, it looks like they want this to have the "Prestige TV" vibe. Ewan is the biggest contributor to that, because he's a movie actor. Hayden is a movie actor too, although his career didn't take off like Ewan's. Hard to say how much Anakin material will be in there, but they can be a foundation for big drama, and their reunion after so many years will be very exciting. Luke might play a big part too, but introducing a new (young) actor for that iconic role is a big move and might necessitate it's own big press release.

As to the cameos, while I don't want to get my hopes up too much for seeing Palpatine, Bail Organa, Rex, etc., I'd say there's a good chance they'll be there because Disney has already shown in Mandalorian that they want a lot of interconnection. The Andor series will be set in roughly the same timeline as Kenobi, so I suspect there will be crossover of some kind, whether with new characters or legacy ones.

2. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    When he signed on to do the series to begin with there was no Hayden. He was signed before anyone else, he agreed to do a series. Hayden didn't come in until they did the rewrite, which was no something they originally planned.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Mostly Handless and Shamear like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Source?

wobbits and cwustudent like this.
  4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well when you make a show in episode 3 to 4 era, Hayden being involved isn't really necessary. because Anakin is no more. and really even Vader being the villain didn't necessarily need to be a factor. there were many directions they could have gone really. so when they put the idea forward to Ewan do you think the first thing he asked was if Hayden was in it? in a time between 3 and 4... is Hayden in it? why would you even assume that was assessable given the time period?

This Obi Wan project was clearly developed over time. as they even delayed the show some time ago because they wanted to make some changes.

naw ibo, Mostly Handless and Shamear like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No. The Emperor would not have been right for the tone/ storytelling mode of that movie, which was not in the realm of the fantastical. Even Vader skates the edge of fitting in.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As usual, wrong about everything.
    I've said it a thousand times, the fact that the Emperor chose a Caribbean planet like Scarif to house his records, we needed to see his pale arse walking up that landing platform with some stooge holding a black sunbrella over him as he walked and cackled.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Release the Sunbrella Cut.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Rogue One you mean?

Not in the realm of the fantastical!?!

He would have fit in perfectly.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No. As noted by (one of) its directors, it’s essentially a Battle of Britain-style war film. It’s not told in the higher mythic mode of the OT. To use storytelling jargon, it’s told in more of the mimetic or mundane mode. Vader barely worked within that style, and I’d argue that was mostly because he ushered us into the very different style of ANH. And his dialogue, while BIG, is still that of an operator. A super soldier. So practically speaking, he kind of still fits the tone of the film. Just as the big talking Fish Man works because he’s a Navy Admiral acting like Winston Churchill in a war movie.

As @A Chorus of Disapproval demonstrated better than I could, a cackling Dark Lord would have been a jarring mismatch for the movie, IMO. Unless the directors changed the way he looked and spoke to better fit the film. Perhaps a bit more of former Senator Palps shining through.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the story and script changed after Ewan read it and asked where's Hayden,?

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Are you guessing, or is that something you read?

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Guessing based on what Ewan's feelings on Hayden's involvement and him working with him again. Also Ewan has said he wanted clash with Hayden again. I think also Deborah Chow realized that.

TadoFett likes this.
  13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I really doubt Ewan asked for Hayden to come back. it would almost be Ewan pushing for a scenario in a time period where Hayden wouldn't really fit.

14. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    The source? We know Ewan was signed on for like 3 years before they ever announced it, in 2019, because he's talked about how he had to lie about it every time he was asked. And Hayden was never seriously mentioned as a cast member until well AFTER the re-writes started in early 2020 this past year. Maybe not a "source" but common sense.

As I understand they were in already in pre-production(looking for settings etc) and would have had the story planned out if not all the scripts prior to that. That's one of the reasons fans were wary "oh they got that far and NOW they are delaying it? That sounds bad". But then it came out the scripts were being changed because of the similarity to The Mandalorian.

Mostly Handless and Shamear like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well that "Saving Private Ryan" was the original intent but they turned away from that quite a bit to conform more to the saga style. The whole "mission" approach really got curtailed in favor of making it more personal then they jettisoned the original score to get a far more military Star Wars one instead.

Besides that Vader was always in the picture. Tarkin as well as far as I know. They certainly worked on it long enough.

I'd disagree to a large degree on that. If anything R1 is in the actual spirit of his film-making the closest thing to Lucas' movies in terms of the basic approach at heart. That being a "documentary" one. Now one that maybe more is if Lucas was doing Apocalypse Now but think of American Graffiti or THX 1138. Root-wise it's base in far more in line with Lucas than anything else Disney has done. It follows a "grittier" track so to speak.

Going back to Vader the big addition was the very late inclusion of the hallway scene which of course is right out of the PT. That's something that denotes this Vader is the man who used to be the Anakin that we saw in AOTC and ROTS.

There are multiple sides to Darth Sidious so they could play him anyway that suited. Most likely the shadowy TPM version handing out instructions to his underlings. One scene with Vader and Tarkin showing the power dynamic would have been great and weave the movie all the better into Lucas' saga.

Which would be the kind of cameo that would work for this series.

I don't get that impression. If they had done the movie version I don't think HC would be in it unless it was some cameo as both armored and unarmored Vader. With the expansion from 2 hours to the 6x45 (probably around 4 hours minus credits) the overall decision may have been that was since there is more time why not get HC for more than a cameo/couple of sequences?

They say he's playing Darth Vader so presuming that is the case then they've found a way to present him as Vader that is credible to do so or they are going to have a number of ways that it'll be a pre-armored Vader, partially masked Vader or some Force vision sequences where he'll be present Vader but seen in the Anakin Vader form.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  16. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Almost literally the only thing I don't like about The Mandalorian is that it probably stopped this series from being exactly what I wish it would have been, by getting there first. I'm still really looking forward to it, though.

naw ibo likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What did it get to first?

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Kenobi/Mando both roaming the Tatooine desert?

clone commander bossk likes this.
  19. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    Obviously we're still yet to find out what the story was/is both before and after the rewrites, but right now, I'm just happy we're being given the version that includes Hayden.

20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I personally don't care what the story was supposed to be. If it's Obi Wan and Anakin/Vader- just give me Ewan and Hayden.

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, could Weazel be returning?
    [​IMG]
    Warwick Davis says he's "busy on a new project"...

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Probaly in Andor.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm more thinking that that new project might be Willow.

24. When i left you i was but the learner now im the master only a master of Evil Darth
    So what happen before

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
    Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Warwick should have a bit part in every Star Wars production. Every series.

Just as much as people are excited at the idea of Ewan looking a bit more "Sir Alec", I think seeing Hayden in Burnt Vader makeup would be kind of mind blowing. It would add a metric tonne of emotion to his story and glue Vader and Anakin together as the same person wonderfully. It doesn't have to be a flashback.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021