main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Typo? Waj you talkin' about Willis?

Django Fett likes this.
  2. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    What if obi wan explores new planets without leaving the Tatooine system? There might be other worlds with breathable atmosphere in that system. Just a thought.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    ...Err, can I sell you some death sticks?

Lee_ likes this.
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, at least we know a Bantha's behind is in it:

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    To add to this, the tragedy of ROTS is that Obi-Wan never really found out why Anakin fell in the first place. He and Anakin were on good terms when he left for Utapau and days later, he finds out he just killed dozens of Jedi. Flashbacks can be for Obi-Wan to come to terms with his guilt. Which can be a great theme to explore.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well i ain't sure Obi Wan has much to feel guilty about when it comes to why Anakin turned.the fact that he turned he probably could feel like he failed. but the reason he turned is probably something wouldn't be able to do much about even if he found out.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  7. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Anyone here seen the video of
    Moses Ingram swinging a lightsaber around?
    Could mean nothing, or it's not particularly secret.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  8. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Who is that

9. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    She's one of the cast

10. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    And she's rumored by reputable trade sources to have a major role in the series, I think this is what forces Obi-wan to leave Tatooine. To help this surviving Jedi [face_thinking]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I hope not.

Obiwan killing an Inquisitor on Tatooine would be a bad idea if the Empire found out where they lost said Inquisitor.

I prefer if she was another Jedi survivor in hiding. Maybe she fell to dark side, giving us a dark Jedi not associated with the Empire, her lightsaber remaining blue.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think she will be a fugitive Jedi, and Rupert Friend will be the imperial villain.

Mostly Handless and Lee_ like this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, but guilt is often irrational, and with Obi Wan being like a father figure to Anakin, it would make a lot of sense that he would experience and eventually process feelings of guilt around Anakin falling apart and going to the dark side. It also may have some to do with why he makes another attempt at turning Anakin back when it is clearly too little too late (if this plot speculation ends up bearing fruit that is).

Parental figures have a way of experiencing guilt when their children flounder, suffer, or fail, and that is regardless of whether or not that guilt/self blame is warranted. Very common phenomenon. With the whirlwind of events at the end of ROTS, there is little time for Obi Wan to process all of this, so we didn't see whether or not he felt guilty.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yup.
    If he truly cared about Anakin, as a brother, and cared about Padme too, then it doesn't matter what logical excuses you can give Obi Wan. He will feel the ache forever.

That "but I could have done this" pain.

I think many of us have that for someone in our lives who has gone.

16. I hope they adapt Luke Skywalker Walkabout in live action

17. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Obi-wan definitely feels guilt. He clearly feels it in ROTS and in ANH as well. There's the father/mentor angle, but also that he devoted his life to an institution, the Jedi Order, and one of his institutional responsibilities utterly fell apart. Anakin wasn't the first Jedi to be tempted by the dark side, or to get "attached" to a lover, and Obi-wan wasn't the first master responsible for keeping his padawan in check.

They had a paternal relationship, and presentist notions of responsibility tend to exonerate superiors in those relationships, because liberalism in the real world is tormented by patriarchy. But paternal relationships are real, real in 1979, in the GFFA, and real today. Parents do and should feel responsible for how their kids turn out, that's just life. Lucas understood these dynamics very well.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Valiowk, grd4, Deliveranze and 4 others like this.
  18. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Apart from Obi-Wan's guilt, he also has to suffer from an immense amount of trauma and PTSD from years of war, Anakin's fall, heck, probably even Qui-Gon's death, too. I think one could easily construe a variety of scenes around nightmares, dreams, or Force visions that Obi-Wan has during his time out in the desert. You could show some of the good times he had with Anakin during the war, as well as the more challenging times, too.

I'm just hoping Hayden's casting is for a substantial role in this series, and not just a extended cameo in an episode or two.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that will be one of the bigger drives of the series

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Corey from KRT says Moses Ingram is playing an Inquisitor. He says he only has one source so it’s just a rumor for now.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think anything from them is just a rumor :p

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I've only seen him in Homeland, but Rupert was so great in that, and IMO such a perfect fit to be in SW, I can't wait to see him in it. Amazing casting, and he is the one of the new actors they cast that I want to see in this the most.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    ^^ he was great in Homeland, that interrogation scene where stabs the dude's hand and starts screaming was savage :D

Lee_ likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    lol yeah. He does a great job of coming back brain damaged later in the show- he was so authentic.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  25. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    This is why the Obi-Wan redemption story carries far, far more resonance with me than Anakin's

Anakin was a war criminal who "atoned" for his atrocities with one, last-minute salvific act, whereas Obi-Wan atoned for his comparatively milder, more human failings through decades of self-flagellation, growth and nurturing.

I honestly don't feel much when the unmasked Anakin speaks his last words to Luke--it's a bit too little, too late, for the Himmler of the galaxy--but select Kenobi passages from ROTS and ANH tug at my heartstrings. This is a man who, in his youth, simply wasn't up to the task, attained wisdom only through his devastation and loss, and sacrificed his life so that the offspring of his failure could live, flourish, and bring the cycle of suffering to a close. I know, I know, it's a Saga with incessantly-barking dog-pilots, fussy robots, teddy bears, and a pratfalling Gungan, but there's tremendous beauty to it as well. I'm on Team Obi-Wan.