main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No wonder ROTS is the worst-looking Star Wars movie. I trust the Kenobi show will be more to Ewan’s liking.

2. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Fair enough, but bear in mind that use of green/blue screens were the precursor to the Volume. Without the tech that was pioneered on the PT we wouldn’t have the stuff that ILM currently use for productions like The Mandalorian an and Kenobi.

I’m as excited as the next person to see Ewan back in a Star Wars production, but I hope he’s not going to serve us yet another round of “we shot in a real desert”. ‘Cause that **** got old really fast.

cwustudent, Shamear, RetropME and 2 others like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Nah they didn't shoot in the desert (mostly, I'd guess) but the volume gives the actors a visual environment (sorta like shooting in the desert) which has basically been McGregor's main gripe about shooting the PT as he spent months literally adrift alone in greenscreenland.

TadoFett, Krueger and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, of course. And if electricity wasn’t invented, we wouldn’t have had Star Wars at all. ;) Lucas was definitely pioneering with the tech during the PT era. I just wish he’d experimented/ gone through the prototype stages with a story that was less important than Darth Vader’s origins, and the end of the Republic.

But whatever. These are old and tired arguments that won’t take us anywhere good or interesting.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Worst looking? What?

Shamear, TadoFett and GunganSlayer like this.
  6. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Wee bit of hyperbole on his side, considering principal photography only ran for 58 days, and scenes on Utapau were only shot on 6 of those, not all of them taking the entire day either.

Not to mention that the whole handing over Luke to Beru scene playing out quite differently as well. They shot the scene back in Tunisia while doing Episode II. McGregor's stunt double was handing the baby over to Owen, as McGregor wasn't with them in Tunisia for obvious reasons. It was only during post-production that Lucas thought it would be better if the baby would be handed over to Beru instead. So they did a very short sequence of that. They obviously didn't send an entire crew over to Tunisia to film for five minutes, as that would have been ridiculous. It's little different than shooting simple looks and scenes that only last a moment, which has been done in pickups for decades.

That being said, the Volume should be an immense help for everyone. There are plenty of actors who can do it just fine in their mind, but it can't hurt to help those who aren't so good at it, especially since it helps on the technical side as well.

cwustudent, Shamear, TadoFett and 2 others like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The whole "nothing physically on set" has just been a longlived talking point for actors. They'll answer the interviewers' questions about the lack of set and then be all "I'm looking forward to going back to the theatre. Film is no comparison to the joy of working on an empty stage with a live audience helping to fill the space with imagination..."

All of them. "This relying on green screen has been a challenge. Oh and get tickets to come see me in my one man, empty stage recital of Othello in May!"

Shamear, TadoFett, Blobofat and 12 others like this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    God, what fun it is to have Ewan back. [face_love]

Incidentally, that's easily my second most favorite Jonathan Ross experience.

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That's all so very true. But at the least, Ewan pulled it off with a bit of flare this time, no? :p

TadoFett and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    “Uncle Peru”

Finally after 40+ years, we know why Owen disliked Obi Wan.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He clearly makes believe he doesn’t know the names for effect.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Think of the kid who did Jungle Book. He was the only actor on set in a blue/green screen void. The whole film was shot that way.

But this is kinda how films are done today. blue/green screen is all over movies today.

13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Anyone think Commander Cody will factor into the series? Now that they've got Temuera Morrison back?

TadoFett likes this.
  14. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Could be possible. I also think there's a possibility Morrison could play Rex at some point, perhaps in the Ahoska show.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I find it nigh on impossible to believe that Filoni wouldn’t put Rex in the Ahsoka series. As for Cody, I remember one of the earliest rumours for the Kenobi series pegged Cody as one of the main villains. Not sure now, though, what with all the Inquisitor stuff.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    We migh get a cameo of Cody if they want, but i think we will more likley see him come back in Bad Batch, before inqusitors clones and Cody would be the main villains alongside vader.

TadoFett likes this.
  17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Rumor is that The Inquisitors replaced Commander Cody's role in the show. Something about it was originally gonna be Cody and some clones tracking Kenobi and that was replaced with the Inquisitors. So I'm gonna guess beyond maybe getting Temuera to do some voice work, Which is can do anywhere, I'm gonna bet he likely never took a step on the set of Kenobi.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    With the Volume, that’s changing rapidly. Thank the Maker. I can spot an overly green-screened look from a hundred parsecs away.
    Interesting. Source of the rumor?

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I still find it amazing that actors bring to life all that great acting in front of empty blue/green screen. Just making believe that something is there when it isn't aint easy at all.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  20. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Maybe...the Inquisitors...'replaced' Cody mafia style?

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I certainly hope so, give the Inquisitors a dark and dangerous feel even if we know they're ultimately just lightsaber practice for a Jedi Master.

Sproj and CampOfSorgan like this.
  22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I hope not.

Commander Cody deserves a bit more respect than that.

That, and I don't like the idea of certain characters getting taken out like a chump, especially when it's (presumably in this case) off-screen.

23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I am gonna guess Cody isn't in the show.

24. I hope Vader is a cameo and dont fight Obi Wan in the show the Inquisitors should be the Villains

25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Its been pretty much confirmed that Vader has a big role in the show.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021