main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I love Ewan and Obi so so much! And while Ewan is extroverted in ways that Obi is not, Ewan is so dedicated to doing good, doing so much work for Unicef and children, it just means so much to me to see that. Again, gorgeous on the inside and outside.

Sidenote: I'm happy I have my Jedi Master status back and my original join date! Sad to have lost all my likes... :(

laloga and Valairy_Scot like this.
  2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    It's interesting that the very few times I've had the hots for an actor (99% of the time I have no interest in stars at all), that person always turns out to be a very responsible, dedicated actor who sets a good example for his fans. Yet, every time, it's always a particular character whom that actor plays whom I like incredibly much who gets me interested in the actor; there's never been a case when I found myself starting to like a particular actor without liking some character he portrayed first. Sometimes I really wonder if some part of the actor just gets infused into the character in some way I'm unable to articulate so as to attract my interest... :p

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Some of my favs from years past (not crushes, but likes - I never really went thru the crazy phase)

Richard Chamberlain - Dr. Kildare
    Yale Summers - Daktari
    Kent McCord - Adam12
    Philippe Forquet - Lafayette/The Young Rebels
    Don Galloway - Sgt. Brown/Ironsides
    Walter Koenig - Chekov/Star Trek
    Richard Hatch - original Apollo in BSG
    Jamie Bamber - new Apollo in BSG (Cruelly underutilized, eye candy but also a great actor)
    Ewan McGregor OF COURSE - excellent actor and eye candy

naw ibo and serendipityaey like this.
  4. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I agree, it's the character that has to pull me in. Ewan is the only actor I've ever had a 'crush' on, but he's done a lot of things himself, like Long Way Round, so I've had a chance to see his own personal character, which I find to be fantastic. He just seems like such a great guy to knock around with, I wish I could hang out with him for a day!
    While I also find him very attractive, I try not to be too crazy about it, since he is a real person with a lovely family. But Obi-Wan... why yes, I'd very much like to chain Obi-Wan to a bed and have my way with him :D

Jedi Master Kenobiwan and laloga like this.
  5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
  6. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Are you calling me scary?!! I think he'd rather quite enjoy himself... O:)

Jedi Master Kenobiwan and laloga like this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    With you, perhaps. With ScarySue - she's scary, but she does tie or chain Obi-Wan to a bed, gives him a bedbath if I remember correctly, turns his insides outside - not a pretty picture that.

"Adult" crushes are probably far saner than kid crushes - like I said, I never went the totally screaming fangirl route like so many did - I found their lack of control disturbing. But quiet admiration in private - okay.

My very first exposure to screaming fangirls was the Beatle's trip to America - saw them on Ed Sullivan's show. I was appalled, but too young to really understand what appalled was. 'Course my mom explained Frank Sinatra and Elvis got similar reactions, but - okay - MY first exposure was different. The Beatles, the Monkees, "Bobby Sherman" then David Cassidy...oh, I saw it all.

Speaking of - boy, I miss those old variety shows I grew up with - Ed Sullivan, Red Skeleton...later on Glen Campbell and others. Andy William Christmas shows...

8. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Heh, when I was a kid I couldn't understand why other kids would have crushes on stars at all. The first time I liked an actor enough to actively dig out some of his other shows was when I was already an adult. Always found that kind of ironic. :p

Also never ever had an interest in private lives either, although I do read through Wikipedia entries and other biographies at times. I think more than anything it's background research to reassure myself that an actor I support is indeed worth supporting...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    My only concern would be that he enjoyed himself, I assure him [:D]

Scary, was very scary!

10. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Despite my de-stressed work environment my flippin' headache is only getting worse, not better, and I really want to put my brain to work so I could attempt to come even somewhere of the ballpark of the Obi-Quake [face_love][face_love][face_love]

...maybe an Obi-heatwave... :D

I'll have to postpone my contribution for now, and I'm really sorry =(( Anyone else feel free to jump in! It's only a one sentence requirement!

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-heatwave, huh? [face_dancing]

Sending your some feel-good vibes to make your head better. If it implodes or explodes - I accept no responsibility.

12. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thanks! Haha :) I apparently can't handle not having stress at work, need to adapt again. I'm pretty sure some beer will help my head ache, mmmmm... And I'm starting to get Obi ideas....

13. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I'm so confused lol. So we're talking here or the old one? Should i lock the other one? :confused:

Oh, i'd love an Obi-heatwave! o_O where do i sign up for that? i only get the awful regular heatwaves, bah [face_waiting][face_tee_hee]

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Veloz - you CAN lock the v3 thread here and I've locked the thread in Saga, so this is the Obi-Wan "hang out" and appreciation and fanclub thread in one.

Our story ended up with a quake dislodging Obi-Wan and Siri from their own ready-to-rock peak, then I lost my next not-all-that-great post so we're at at another catastrophe separating our two would-be lovers.

The Obi-threads are here - the Obi that has been and is and social hangout.
    In Resource the Obi thread is to discuss Obi-behavior in upcoming fics and such all.
    The Obi-loves thread is to discuss the various women in Obi-Wan's life, and the degree of "attachment" he had to them

15. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
  16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
  17. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I think I'll just Lurk.\

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Geri, why lurk?

19. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So what is it about Obi-Wan that you guys like as a character?

For me: his dedication to the Force, to be the best he can, he wants to do what is right, his loyalty to his friends (I believe that Obi-Wan knew of Anakin and Padme's relationship for a long time and kept quiet about it in the hope that maybe Anakin would confide in him), being a good leader, modest and honest (it must have been very difficult to deceive Anakin in the Deception arc in TCW), the fact that he willingly gave up his physical body to become one with the Force is a highlight of his character for me. I also like how he can be very jokey in moments of danger, brings a bit of light relief and its self-defensive to help him through it, I like how they've given him that quality in TCW that you did see small sparks of in the prequels. I also like how he deals with attachments, and its a stark contrast to what you see with Anakin, he admits he has them and if any Jedi was allowed to have an attachment I could see Obi-Wan being one of the few to have them and still be a dedicated Jedi.

I'll probably think of more but Obi-Wan is quite an appealing character, despite being a Jedi completely devoted to the Force, he's not without his emotions or attachments.

Valairy_Scot likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    What you said!

He's a good MAN and a good Jedi. He is committed heart and soul to the Force and that committment MAY occasionally have him doing things he does not particularly like (lying to Anakin in the Hardeen arc, for one) yet he surrenders to the greater "knowledge and purpose" of something outside himself believing that ultimately the Force "knows best."

He truly believes in service to others and is willing to sacrifice self to that greater good, though I think he struggles a bit with sacrificing others to the greater good although he will do so. I think he turned the other eye to Anakin and Padme's relationship believing it made Anakin happy and in war, there was little happiness to be found (although Wild Space does seem to contradict this, since he asks Padme to break off the buddng relationship and keeps an eye on Anakin, telling him essentially not to mope for her).

I think he's a man of deep passions (emotions) yet one who controls them, but a lot manages to leak out - his humor, his worries, his occasional unvoiced fears.

laloga, hlc88 and serendipityaey like this.
  21. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Certainly would have to agree. It's the fact that he strives and succeeds at being the best Jedi that he can be, yet throughout it all, even in the worst, or his most controlled of times his humanity is always evident, like a bright shining light.

In contrast to that perfect picture of an emotionless Jedi, I think it is all those things - his deep emotions, compassion, humor, concerns, etc - that make him a great Jedi. He knows how to *deal* with those emotions, something we should all learn to do, instead of letting them control him. Just saying you shouldn't have them is a dangerous, naive falsehood. And I do agree, I think that makes him capable of having a real relationship (not a dangerous attachment) and still being a dedicated Jedi at the same time.

His dry humor, that grin with the flash in his eyes, well that's just irresistible [face_love]

laloga likes this.
  22. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    He’s kind, compassionate, intelligent, dedicated, loyal, witty, selfless, and humble. In all things he strives to do good and serve the path of light, he acknowledges the mistakes he has made and does what he can to rectify them. He endures tremendous loss and remains strong despite it all. He exercise great authority and demonstrate strength of character beyond that demonstrated by anyone around him.

What’s not to like???

(And he’s not bad to look at either ;))

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    There are so many things that make him a good man. It's hard to understand when other people can't see it, or they can't look deep enough.

But all those things make him so easy to love.

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Does the fact that *we* can see him for what he is say more about *us* as perceptive folk, or more "open minded" or less "judgmental" or - or what? I'm not putting the non-fans down, don't misunderstand me anyone who wanders in here and is offended, but do we like him because we are more like Obi-Wan than non-fans or for other reasons?

I'd really like to see a survey to see if we do have more things in common as fans - be it introspective personalities, searchers for "deeper meaning" rather than superficial entertainment, or what.

What say you, fellow fans: why do you think YOU like Obi-Wan so much?

25. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd say we were more open-minded but I don't know how you feel about other characters. I think I am like Obi-Wan in how I go through life, I can relate to him as much as I can but I can also relate to Anakin and I like that character to. My personality is probably a mixture of both.