main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Obi-Wan Kenobi: What would a good Jedi do?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Valairy Scot I agree that TPM Obi-Wan might not be willing to take Anakin and train him as Qui-Gon did. It would be interesting to see an even older Obi-Wan, perhaps ROTS era, meeting Anakin on Tatooine. Of course it would have to be very AU and all the events of TPM would have not to happen in the way they did, but it would be interesting to see what perspective age would give Obi-Wan.

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Qui-Gon saw Anakin as a vergence in the Force. That completely over-rode any judgement about whether Anakin was a good candidate for training based on his temperment. Obi-Wan just did not see that. I think Yoda and the other council members saw the vergence possibility, but weren't sure like Qui-Gon. Also, they were leery of Anakin's personal flaws which made him a dangerous candidate for a Jedi. But, in the end, I think Qui-Gon was right, since Anakin was really a vergence, so he would have ended up as the focus of the destiny of the Jedi Order whether they trained him or not.

An older Obi-Wan might have seen the vergence, but the younger TPM Obi-Wan didn't recognize it. I think the older Obi-Wan would have reacted like the Council, seen the vergence possibility, but denied it because they were worried about the personal flaws in Anakin's character, making him a dangerous candidate for a Jedi.

This does make me think that the Jedi will sometimes NOT train someone who DOES have Force capabilities because they do not have a suitable temperament.They start training younglings as early as possible so they can keep them from going down the wrong path, but there are bound to be a few that they can see early on who would never make good Jedi and they probably find other careers for them.

AND nothing bad comes of it; the person can lead their whole life without getting into trouble or endangering the whole galaxy. Luke didn't know he had Jedi potential until he was twenty. Of course, he was wound up in Anakin's vergence, so he was going to end up in the Jedi destiny no matter what.

3. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ugh, clicked on the wrong button.

4. Lord_Redav

Lord_Redav Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    I think it depends on why Obi-Wan left the order in the first place. We all know the guy is more or less a goodie two-shoes in front of the council and usually follows the code in a very strict way. To have Obi-Wan leave the order at will, he'll have to get very disappointed by the way the Jedi have turned out, or he feels some other more important. Now, in the former case, I'd say he may do some things that are initially against the code out of spite. But being the happy hermit he is, he'll probably enjoy fishing in Dagobah even more.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, I think Obi-Wan defers to the "greater wisdom" of his elders (especially before he joined the Council), but he's a bit short of "goodie two-shoes." He is, admittedly, one who believes rules have a reason and a place and that is hardly a negative. He also would not do something "out of spite." Perhaps to Bruck Chun when young, but only when young. He's just not a spiteful person.

6. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think if Obi-Wan had been the one to discover Anakin and he'd had a few years of Knighthood I think he'd be concerned about Anakin's training but he'd be in support of it. He may follow the rules a lot but I think there are times when he's willing to bend the rules... you do see hints of that i.e end of TPM when he is adamant to training Anakin whether he really wants to or not, he's very sure that he has to do it, whether he wants to do it or not is another thing entirely. I think he believes in doing the right thing, whether that is following the code or not...

7. Lord_Redav

Lord_Redav Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    Yes, but like I said. It'll take quite a blow to make Obi-Wan quit the order in the first place. And for someone that is so used to 'defering to the greater wisdom' of his elders, his world is gonna have to be turned completely upside down. I think under these circumstances, it is possible for him to have some spite. I've been thinking about a dark times plot bunny that features a preferably more sinister Palpatine that tears the order down with a more effective strategy. What do you think Obi-Wan's reaction would if the people had turned on the Jedi?

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Upping because of the Mauldalore arc (as the TCW folks call it).

So, the Council and the Senate would not authorize any Jedi going to Mandalore in response to Satine's call for help. Officially (and understandably so).

Obi-Wan went anyway.

Do you think the Council "condoned" him going as much as a "private citizen" as he could be, or do you think Obi-Wan just up and went?

I suspect he went without their knowledge (though I think Yoda was resigned that he would go alone) and figured he'd deal with the consequences later.

Was Obi-Wan acting out of "attachment" alone, or in response to a call for help he could not ignore?

Lots we can discuss, but I thought I'd throw this out there as a starting point.

Oh, and Lord_Redav: The ordinary folks, at least in part, are going to turn on the Jedi. I think Obi-Wan would be a strange mix of miffed, and sympathetic - he's going to try to understand their viewpoint but find it sad.

9. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    For some reason I felt like it was implied that the Jedi would not go officially, but if Obi-Wan decided to go himself that was his prerogative - not sanctioned but not 'against the rules'. I don't think he asked the council, but perhaps Yoda informed them. I think there's a degree of attachment - see the earlier arc with the 'rebels' where he was hesitant to help them, though that's different in a lot of ways... In general, I think it would be really, really hard for Obi-Wan to ignore anyone that was in immediate danger of that kind.

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I will stay away from spoilers, but I really think that the Council knew where he went. They just ignored it. If there had been any kind of 'must-do' mission that Obi-Wan had to go on then he would have done that, but there wasn't.

Obi-Wan was just responding to a call from help from a special friend. He is very loyal after all. And he cares. Especially, for someone to whom he lied to about being in love with --- IMHO. He might have felt a teensy bit guilty about that lie, so he had to go help her. Though I can see how she might be seriously in love with him.

And I was quite amused to see that Obi-Wan did not take very good care of Anakin's ship. [face_laugh]

serendipityaey likes this.
  11. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Very well said! Ditto

12. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    The impression that I get about the Jedi Order is that they allow individual Jedi a certain amount of leeway as long as they are not breaking the Code or disobeying orders. If the Council did not specifically forbid Obi-Wan to help Satine, he may have felt that it was permissable as an individual, if not approved. Hard to say what would have happened if he was ordered to ignore her request or to take on a different mission.

I have a feeling that Yoda (and perhaps some of the others) knew that he had gone - but not because he told them - and decided to turn a blind eye. This may just be my 'headcanon' but I think that a lot of the other Council members are rather fond of Obi-Wan and value him enough to cut him some slack.

I don't know enough of the back story with Satine to be certain what motivated Obi, but my gut feeling is that it would be a mixture of compassion, affection and perhaps a feeling of obligation. She did need his help and that would be hard to ignore, even if there was no attachment.

FARK2005 and serendipityaey like this.
  13. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    I dont think that the council knew he was on his way to Mandalore, but I think that Yoda might have felt that Obi-Wan was going without their permission. And from Obi-Wan's action, I think there might be a degree of attachment.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    i always consider obi-wan's alter ego to be ben. ask yourself, what would ben kenobi do? he wasn't in the order because there was none...

15. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I'd believe that Obi-Wan would have stuck to the code. In TPM he tells Qui-Gon that: "The boy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?" The combined effect of precognitions through the unifying Force and obeyance to the Code would have prevented him from training the boy. The only thing that might have lead to a different choice would have been if he were certain that a boy with that much force potential would be even more dangerous if left untrained.

What he most likely would do would be to try to find a way to free both Anakin and Shmi, and possibly thus preventing the development of the boy's character into a dangerous being. Keep in mind that the prophecy of the chosen one was more a belief of Qui-Gon than Obi-Wan.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018