main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Obi-Wan Krayt Dragon Call

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Force Smuggler, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What is everyone's opinion on the Obi-Wan Krayt Dragon call scene in ANH?
    Original

The original is the best and is close to being perfect.
    2004 is fine...........
    2011? Don't. Just don't.

Can't find the 1997 version of the scene, so if someone has it, can you put it in here? Thanks

Trebor Sabreon and MOC Yak Face like this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Considering the purpose of the howl is to scare the Tuskens, any of those does the job. My favourite is the 2004 version.

StardustSoldier and DANNASUK like this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The original sounds nice, but it's a little underwhelming
    2004 sounds.... odd
    2011 has the perfect resonance if it didn't sound like a drunk NASCAR fan

Give the original version the filtering/echo effects of the 2011 version and that'd be my ideal roar

StardustSoldier likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When I think of Krayt Dragon, I think of some terrifying monster that's going to eat you or stomp you to death. Not Michael Jackson going to do something creepy. Sure both are scary in their own ways but I can't take the 2011 version seriously. A drunk NASCAR fan? What the? How?

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Original for sure. I'm not used to 2004 (although it works), and 2011 has me baffled about what the sandpeople were running from.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The 2011 version legitimately scared the crap out of me cause I had no idea what the heck just happened

7. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    I never did believe that obi-wan could make that sound in the '77 version. Even with the force that is too much of an animalistic noise to come from him. The 2011 version is more realistic to what a human could do.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The original is the best.

2004 I believe is the noise of that weird animal he ride in ROTS - thanks GL another needless tie-in.

2011, first time I've heard it, wth!? Very weird and goes on a bit too long as we'll.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I have to post this spoof. It shows how absurd I think the blu-ray sound is.

1997 is the same as the original.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Your video must have just been taken down lol

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's true, although maybe it's just me, but I notice Matthew Wood's voice in there which makes it distracting.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm still able to watch it when I search for it on youtube. It must be an issue with how I embedded it.

13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I prefer the 2004 version. I think the original sounded too much like the SE dewbacks. The 2004 sounds more mystical. 2011 is just bizarre.

My interpretation was always that Obi-Wan was calling the krayt dragon, much like you would call a dog. So it shouldn't have sounded like the animal anyway. Of course, why he let the sandpeople see him is anyone's guess.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    They all have their pros and cons. The original was fine, but apparently it was directly sourced from some goofy dinosaur cartoon and I guess that never sat right with George. The 2004 version is basically a sampling of Boga from Episode III if I'm not mistaken; if so, it doesn't really make sense as a krayt dragon call, and it was probably only ever meant as a stop-gap before a definitive sound effect was constructed. The 2011 version sounds like it could come from a set of human vocal chords, and there's a cool, creepy resonance to it; but parts of it just sound like Matthew Wood hooting, leading to a quasi-comical effect.

All in all, I'd say there were always issues with the effect, and apparently now there always will be.

15. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    How would someone calling an animal be scary to sand people exactly?

16. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Because said animal could pounce on the sandpeople at any given moment and devour them in no time. The sandpeople obviously saw Obi-Wan, unless he used the Force to make them see something other than what was shown onscreen. But if that was the case, the intent was lost on me.

17. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I was laughing when I read yr post first time comparing it to someone calling a dog. I was imaging some gangstas walking along when all of a sudden someone starts yelling "here boy, here doggy" and they're all "#### man we better run!"

But yeah I can almost see where you're coming from, but I always thought it was the noise of a Krayt Dragon itself

Jedi_Apprentice and Seagoat like this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In that case, the SE dewbacks should have been given a different sound.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like the original sound the best.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  20. BUZZINHARD

BUZZINHARD Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2014
    Would hope that Obi Wan let the sand people see him after the NOISE was to let them assume that the krayt dragon was in the area and he was running from it... ??? ... ???? Oh yea the orignal works best for me

21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The original was fine. I never heard people complain about it. The 2011 version was just over the top and stupid. Wood really should be ashamed of himself.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    For some reason the latest one brings Scooby Doo to mind. The original was fine. No need to change it.

23. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Original hands down! 2004 doesn't sound to menacing and the 2011 looks like a guy on a Spring Break party

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Holy christmas that 2011 one is ridiculous. Way to continuously poop on your Picasso George

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  25. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Or sounds like ;)

vinsanity likes this.