main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Obi-Wan Krayt Dragon Call

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Force Smuggler, Aug 27, 2014.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's the spoof that I tried to post yesterday.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Usually I don't really consider myself a "purist" who hates every change in the book films, but clearly the original is the best,

truth be told can't really take the other two that seriously to be honest.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, it's not like this is some iconic moment that's been desecrated. This is one of the more inconsequential changes. Who cares, really?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Older Obi-Wan's first appearance in the OT or first time ever depending on what order you watch the movies. Pretty memorable moment imo.
    Each version is radically different. Why? Animalistic roar, to a whistle to whatever the heck 2011 was. Why were the changes even needed? Lucas' vision? Seriously?

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The 27 posters before you... :p

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It isn't a matter of changing an iconic scene so much as making it sound borderline ridiculous
    As someone who loves 95% of the changes made over the years.... I can safely say that new krayt dragon call is just beyond silly. I nearly burst out laughing every time

7. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

oh and Lucas... :p

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Yeah, and he's making a funny animal noise, somehow, for reasons no one could ever actually agree on, while flailing around in his robes. It was always ridiculous. It was a goofy way of introducing Alec Guiness's character then and it is now.

Obviously it didn't ruin the movie, not even a little bit. But come on.

Yeah, Lucas and his less-than-appreciative fans actually have a lot in common, if you think about it. An inability to let go of the past, a tendency to nitpick, an extreme emotional attachment to Star Wars....come to think of it, that describes all Star Wars fans. :p

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I think you've just described most fandoms there :p

StardustSoldier likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The_Phantom_Calamari
    I thought it was obvious. Scare the Tusken Raiders away from Luke. Why else would they run? The original scream didn't ruin the movie. The newest one was completely ridiculous imo. Lucas made changes with each version to further bring his version of the movie to life right? How the heck do you get the 2011 version from what we saw in 1977? Or the roar to the whistle to the scream. I don't understand that all. You'd think he would clean the roar up or change it but keep it as a roar. How the heck do you jump from a roar to a whistle and then from that to a scream? I just fail to see the leap of logic here.

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Obviously the intent was to scare the Tusken Raiders away. I mean no one could ever agree on the logic of it. Is he trying to make them think a real krayt dragon is coming? Is he just acting spooky and using his reputation as a powerful wizard to intimidate them? Do the Tuskens actually see him coming, or don't they? People argue about this stuff all the time.

And it was changed so it would sound like something a human throat could actually produce. Matthew Wood was very clear about that. And on that count, I think he succeeded. It's just that it sounds pretty ridiculous now.

12. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I don't see why they didn't just have Obi-Wan create the sound from behind a rock or something, have the sandpeople run away, and then appear to Luke and pull out a krayt dragon call whistle or something. Then he could deliver the same exact line and it would be very clear what had just happened.

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    None particularly sound like a large frightening beast, let alone a dragon, but the original is the closest. 2004 is like a loud whistle, the 2011 version just sounds utterly ridiculous.

Truth be told, I've always found the scene a bit odd and confusing anyway - you just wonder why the hell the Tuskens are so frightened of some old man making strange noises and waving his arms around. Until I read the novelisation (which refers to the krayt dragon call), I figured it must have been some sort of Jedi mind trick.

14. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Hilarious [face_laugh]

I prefer the 2004 version. It sounds like a beast, and not too much like a siren (1977 ver.). The 2011 one is just weird beyond reason.

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    is this even real? can anyone who has the blu-rays confirm this?

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah, it's real.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    good thing i still like dvds.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

What the heck? [face_laugh]

19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The first two are fine; they sound like they could have come from a Star Wars creature. The last one is just a dude screaming really loud.

If the original was a cheap sound effect from another movie, then all power to them for changing it in 2004, but the last one still just doesn't sit right...

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    good thing I still have my dvds.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I think what we really should be asking is why does Obi-Wan look drunk?

Pensivia likes this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

A simple answer to a simple question: Because he is drunk.

23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    After listening to all three versions, here's how I would describe them.

1977 - Probably the best one, though I don't think its that frightening but still the best sounding.

2004 - I actually think this is rather goofy as it sounds like someone trying to play ghost but not in a scary way.

2011 - What the heck did I just hear?

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The original is the best one, but I don't mind the 2004 one. The 2011 one sounds like an old woman stepped on her grandson's Legos while barefoot.

25. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Fortunately I have the orginals on DVD and I don't have to watch the terrible changes that Lucas did.

Heero_Yuy likes this.