main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Obi-Wan could technically take a small break from being on Tatooine. He's training to become a Ghost right? Yoda's journey to become a ghost led him to a psychedelic priestess planet, Moraband/Korriban, and facing off against evil Yoda.

George Lucas' ideas about his ST have now come out, about it delving into a microbiotic world and the nature of the Whills and the Force. Since the actual ST isn't doing that, maybe Kenobi is the place to explore this. Disney could pull Lucas' treatments out and superimpose them on Kenobi. Presumably Obi-Wan needs to learn about the Whills and the Force to learn to become a ghost, and this movie can delve into those themes and have him going to Mortis, etc.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Valin__Kenobi and bmickey like this.
  2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This is exactly why this movie could be interesting. Kenobi can’t use his powers publicly without attracting attention. He can’t even take out his lightsaber without then having to murder every single witness.

Meanwhile, there’s the whole Force/mystical aspect, sitting in his hut and talking to Liam Neeson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Even without the saber Obi is still op against most opponents he could face.
    As for the suspense regarding lightsaber use, I guess there is some, but it's not the kind of suspense I'd personally find very interesting.

4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah maybe Obi-Wan had no choice but to be "so uncivilized" and use a blaster. He certainly knows how to use it. Grievous can attest to that.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Latest rumour: The movie is happening, but will be a Net-Vlix original.

To weigh in a bit more and confuse matters, here’s what I’ve heard from a Disney source, at least six months ago, but never reported and I’m going to stress I have no confirmation, so we’ll have to treat as hard rumor. I was told long ago that Stephen Daldry was off the project and not directing the Obi-Wan film. Is that why confirmation was never given, or anything was announced? It’s a good guess, but none of us really know.

I’d also heard, and granted, I found this to be fairly dubious at the time, was that the Obi-Wan film was going to be saved for Disney’s upcoming unnamed subscription-based streaming service; the one they hope to compete against Netflix with.

Now, that’s a great idea. What way to make a gigantic splash with a new streaming service than to announce that a new “Star Wars” film is coming and only subscribers of the service—much like a Netflix-only exclusive—would be able to see the movie. I’m sure Disney has some kind of plans like that in the works, but whether or not that’s the Obi-Wan movie, I’m not sure I’d place that bet.

But THR’s sources are already talking about scaled-back, “reconfigured” “Star Wars” movies, so maybe it’s a possibility that a “Star Wars” movie may one day premiere on that streaming service when it’s up and running, but whether or not that’s Obi-Wan, I’ll say it, I don’t really believe that.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually I always figured at some point we'll get a full blown Star War movie on the Disney streaming service, I wouldn't be too shocked if it's the Obi-Wan flick.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    The rumours about this one flip-flop every two weeks or so. Here's the latest in the "It's happening" camp, courtesy of Ciaran Barnes from the Belfast Telegraph.

Liam Neeson is also from Northern Ireland so it has to be true, right?

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What does George Lucas have to do with a potential new Star Wars movie?

Camarasaur8 likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Imagine the looks you would have gotten if you had asked that question before October 2012.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    No, but really?

11. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I dunno. Executive Producer, maybe?

Damn straws... I've almost got them! Just a little more reaching!

12. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    No news, beyond a hint that if this movie happens it won't be any time soon:

~~~~~~~~~~

The Hollywood Reporter:
    Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

Disney CEO Bob Iger:
    I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

13. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This seems it could be true and revealed in a politics article.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Haha, Movieweb.

DarthJaceus and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  16. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I know but no bigger sites have picked it up yet. Plus it is Boris hence the pinch of salt

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Considering how clueless Boris Johnson is, I'd assume he's heard that same old report discussed earlier in this thread, and has jumped to another conclusion without knowing any of the facts.

18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm dying for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie. He could leave Tatooine and embark on a soul searching mission like Yoda did during the Clone Wars.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I can't see Obi-Wan leaving Luke vulnerable though. That was his whole purpose after The Clone Wars. I could see it happening before that though, maybe.

20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I could easily see a "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" type deal; The Last of the Jedi did it, as I recall. The film could easily start with the expected loner Obi-Wan having his dark night of the soul in the desert, but coming to the conclusion that he can't bear the suffering in the greater galaxy, and feels it's his duty as one of the last Jedi to remain active. Off he goes, thinking he's doing right, and after a whole bunch of exploits and a near-miss with Vader, Qui-Gon's spirit is able to get through to him to convince him Luke is their only hope. Back Obi-Wan goes with renewed purpose.

I feel like "Obi-Wan almost abandons his duty" was a theme in the EU (Jedi Apprentice did it, The Clone Wars carried it on with Satine), so I think a Kenobi movie could go back to that well at possibly the most critical juncture in his life. It'd certainly make a foregone conclusion more interesting if it shows us the why of Obi-Wan's choice.

21. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Didn't birds of Prey just start shooting this month McGregor is tied up playing black mask in that

22. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Comicbook.com has picked up the story, which is... something? I guess? It's better than MovieWeb, but that's a very low bar to set.

According to The Spectator, Johnson claimed the UK has "by far the most dynamic creative culture and media industries." He went on to ask the question, "Which was the biggest grossing movie last year? Star Wars and where does George Lucas propose to make a follow up about Obi-Wan Kenobi? Northern Ireland."

The George Lucas name drop is what's getting all the buzz, especially considering the Star Wars creator hasn't directed a film in the franchise since 2005's Revenge of the Sith. Of course, there’s a good chance the former Mayor of London and UK Foreign Secretary was just using Lucas' name as a generalization.

Lucas is, of course, the main person associated with the franchise, and the British politician could have just been referring to Lucasfilm.

Also worth noting is last month's report from Deadline that that the Boba Fett movie is officially dead, with Lucasfilm opting to focus on The Mandalorian instead. And the frontier justice vibe that that show's putting out is what everyone was expecting from an Obi-Wan movie. Doesn't seem likely they'd do two similarly-themed projects.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd take it with a grain of salt until someone other than Boris confirms it. Preferably Lucas himself or someone connected with the film.

DarthJaceus and PimpBacca like this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Wouldn't it be crazy if Johnson promises to secure the production of an Obi-Wan movie in Northern Ireland as part of his bid to unseat Theresa May and become Prime Minister? Imagine that being discussed in future British politics textbooks.

Since Martin Scorcese isn't doing a movie for DC Comics any more, now he's free to get picked up by Disney to do a Star Wars remake of Last Temptation of Christ. Just a shame that Harry Dean Stanton and David Bowie aren't still alive to be in it. Or Irvin Kershner, for that matter.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think its highly likely that Mr. Johnson has got George Lucas and Lucasfilm mixed up.

Daneira likes this.