main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The only negativity is the people who complain about negativity!

I always go with the TPM soundtrack being the best part of the prequels. Ewan's great, but even he was hampered by awful scripts and lines.

That's what I've been hoping for since the Obi-Wan movie rumors began years ago. With a director who can give the flick a legit Old West feel. But after Lord and Miller's firing (and the bringing in of Lucas's trusty friend Ron Howard), I don't really have any more faith in LFL to let the SW Anthology films stand out with unique tones and flair. Even Rogue One had the potential to be a much more gritty war film if they had let Gareth Edwards do his own thing instead of doing all those reshoots. I did like it, but I feel like I could have loved it.

[​IMG]

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think with Star Wars it is like complaints actors/directors might have working with Marvel....they want their characters to be their characters. They do not want someone to come in and re-invent their character to something they are not and have never been.

3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So, will it be set between Episode I and II, II and III or III and Rogue One? [face_thinking]

4. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    This scene:

[​IMG]

In live action. (well, cgi and miniature models realistically speaking)

also: not directly related, but man would I love to see a really good "realistic" rendition of the neo-classical Harnaidan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really begs for full on, unashamed use of green matrix filters. They already have the reflective skyscrapers to go with it.

I love how the 2003 series was a direct visual extension/companion for the ultra vibrant aotc:
    [​IMG]

So deliciously vivid.

5. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    Revenge of The Sith's script is no worse than A New Hope's.
    Hell, I'd say it's much better. Tom Stoppard, Carrie Fisher and others worked on it.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I want it be between III and IV.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I could live with either an Obi-Wan film or a Ben Kenobi film. If it's the former, well I'll always have muh JJM Kenobi; but if it's indeed the latter I can see plenty of ways they can do something fun and creative. And hey if it is set between the trilogies, it's probably extremely likely Liam Neeson will appear in some capacity. Probably as an ethereal voice via some glowy thing, unless they say **** it and make him a full Force ghost. 'Course, even if it doesn't include Ewan and goes back to his youth, Liam could still appear.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Hoping it's with McGregor and during the stint on Tatooine. So 5 BBY-ish?

DARTH_MU and Mistress_Renata like this.
  9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Sean Bean could work too.

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    There's absolutely no reason to not have McGregor if it's set between the trilogies.

spicer likes this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Which isn't to say we couldn't have Sean Bean for another character. Yeah, I want Ewan for Obi-Wan, if he's willing, but Sean... he'd make a good bad guy. Or a good guy with a rough streak (like Han Solo). Could they afford both of them?

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Of course, our movie making is completely legal, and will gladly accept ambassadors.

Out of Universe: Let the negotiations begin.

13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I'd say their best bet is to have the film be a reflective film--desert Ben looking back over his past life interspersed with present day problems.

unironically and Point_Of_View like this.
  14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    But I'm not a fan of a film with flashbacks.

If they are bringing a Tahiri 2.0 maybe Obi-Wan could save her from the Sand people attack on her moisture farm. Then Tahiri 2.0 could maybe even be Rey's mom.

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Well, I'M not making the movie. But if this is the film you eventually might get, I'm sorry?

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm waiting for official confirmation before getting too excited about this, but if true? [face_party]

17. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    What a surprise

(not really, it's been talked about constantly for like the last 2 or 3 years)

But good to get a confirmation nonetheless

No, one of the main reasons they want to do an Obi-Wan movie at all is because of Ewan McGregor. Go pre-TPM and it would defeat the purpose. Not to mention the vast majority of the fan base are interested in old-beardy Obi-Wan, especially post ROTS.

Not saying it wouldn't be awesome, but it's clearly not happening

18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I'd be okay with a pre-TPM movie if it was written by Jude Watson.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Isn't she mainly a YA author? (actually, a junior reader author?)

If I had to choose, I'd go with
    John Jackson Miller
    Drew Karpyshyn
    Timothy Zahn

In that order.
    The choices and order is based on the author's experience in the pre TPM era and Zahn comes in because he's my favourite SW author.
    Other authors would have been chosen if they had more experience in that period.

20. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Jude Watson wrote 20 books about pre-TPM Obi-Wan. Who cares who they were marketed to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 and my kind of scum like this.
  21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I shouldn't care about marketing.

But I'm torn.

On one hand, you can't have some "themes" for these books. We know everything will be okay, the good, young people we identify with win at the end, the evil old Imperial/Vongs get beaten and menace our teenager heroes another day.
    On the other, we will have Edge of Victory Conquests, Star by Stars, Lost Stars's

The only constant in YA books these days seem to be the age of the POV characters.

And was Jude Watgson the one who killed Siri Tachi? No more Siriwan?

22. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    If you've never read the Jedi Apprentice series I can't recommend it enough. One of the plotlines is Obi-Wan leaving the Jedi Order to join a group of child soldiers in a planetwide civil war!

Watson also wrote a book that was Leia's POV in ANH while she's imprisoned on the Death Star. You know how the film cuts off right when Vader enters the room with the interrogation droid? For a supposedly YA book, Watson delves into the torture aspect way more than the film did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my kind of scum likes this.
  23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I hope it's the Ben Kenobi western I've been dreaming of.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Chris0013 likes this.
  24. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Really hope this is true and is probably the stand alone movie I'm most interested in, having said that it has to be Ewan, he made the role his own in the PT and is obviously the right age. Doing a young Obi-Wan movie and recasting everyone just wouldn't work for me and is why I'm so sceptical/meh about the Han Solo project. Although having read this thread I would now love to see Sean Bean get a chance in a SW movie too, he's a fantastic actor.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm glad this is happening and am sure as hell looking forward to seeing this as opposed to the Han Solo movie.
    I hope it's not an origin movie and actually set between 3 and 4 with Obi wan just on Tatoonie

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.