main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    delayed and retooling! this is from Hollywood Reporter, it's legit. May have been too close to Mando with Obi-Wan protecting Baby Luke. and from 6 episodes to 4!

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This actually sounds like a good thing. I'd rather have a delayed show that's taken the time to be the best it possibly can than a rushed and compromised one just to satisfy my hunger for instant content. If they looked at the scripts and said "Ehhhh this is too close to The Mandalorian" then good on 'em. Or even if that wasn't the issue and they just said "We can do better." The article also states that Ewan and Deborah Chow aren't going anywhere, which is the most important thing to consider.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I strongly feel this needs to be focused almost exclusively on Obi-Wan's spiritual practices guided by Qui-Gon, and overcoming his fear and regrets about Anakin.

The action scenes should all be through Force visions and flashbacks(give Hayden another crack at Anakin). All the present day stuff should be the hermit life, watching the Lars homestead from afar and establishing "that wizard is just a crazy old man" by having Ben Kenobi muttering to an unseen Qui-Gon in a Mos Eisley marketplace.

IG: @jedisufism

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think if the episode count is going 6 to 4 it might just be a D+ exclusive movie.

For the record, I am totally fine with two space westerns about protecting young force sensitive charges from evil. Obi-Wan would do it more quiet-like, though. Also Lars melodrama!

Daneira likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Addendum: The Master himself says that it's %%%#% that the scripts aren't good. Says shooting Jan 2021 anyway.

Poor Ewan is going to be doing Birds of Prey press like all week, I'm sure there'll be a few choice quotes out of that.

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Man imagine if someone had read to script to tros.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Here's hoping this series still turns out good. If Kennedy didn't like the script, I'm not sure if that's a bad sign for the show's future (as in the original script was probably better). Well, with McGregor and Chow still involved it shouldn't turn out too bad. Or maybe there's always a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and this show is just more high profile than normal (being Star Wars and after Mandalorian turned out to be such a hit, or rather a certain puppet).

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So I'm guessing this is somewhat inevitable because Disney aims its shows for a wide audience of many ages. I think most of us would be cool with an Obi-Wan adventure show staring just Obi-Wan, but Disney likes to reach out to kids whenever possible. They used up the "protect the baby" routine with Mandalorian, so they're going to be brainstorming how to insert kids on the show in another way.

Thing is, they've got horse blinders on young Luke right now. That's not surprising. The way to get out of it is to think creatively, which I'm sure Disney is more than capable of considering their track record. They could include a group of kids alongside Luke who have adventures alongside, and sometimes crossover, with Obi-Wan's main plot. Or here's an idea -- ANH sort of introduces this darker plot that's never really explored, about how all the teens on Tatooine are heading off to join the Imperial Academy. Maybe some of the younger people Ben has to contend with are these teens planning to join the Empire.

There are lots of ways to introduce younger folks. I'm sure they'll come up with something. Obi-Wan protecting baby Luke would never have been as successful as the big burly Mandalore protecting baby Yoda. Obi-Wan should me more of a distant force of protection anyway, not the Lars's babysitter.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  10. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    These stupid rumours about the end of Obi-Wan series and its not happening are getting old now

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Man is this what is to be a fan, rumors come and vultures come for KK's head danm so many fans living in their moms basement.

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, I really don't think "Obi-Wan protecting Luke" (which isn't even what a show about Kenobi on Tatooine has to be about) would have to be anything like the Mandalorian. Especially since Old Ben is someone that Luke has only met once or twice by the beginning of ANH. In Luke's eyes, he's a weird local character, not someone who he's gone on adventures with. There'd have to be a more covert nature to it all, striking from the shadows. The next morning, everyone sees, like, a pile of dead Tuskens and no one has any idea how it happened. I definitely want a scene of Owen saying something like "get the hell off my farm" to Obi-Wan while holding a slugthrower shotgun, though.

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    The amount of hate people hold towards that woman is... unhealthy.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah and i hope she stays just because of it. I mean George hand picked her and no matter you feelings towards her you gotta respect that.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    What's crazy is how people give her credit for the things they hate but not the things they love. Like, the foolishly think the president of LFL and one of the most accomplished producers in the biz doesn't have a hand in literally every project that comes out of Star Wars. Particularly the tv and movie side.

IG: @jedisufism

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    She was the one who greenlighted the last season of clone wars and the mandalorian. sooo

Dawud786 likes this.
  17. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Disney is really over thinking this one. Just adapt Kenobi by John Jackson Miller.

It’s that simple. It really is.

Xander Vos and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    nah go for new story don't rehash an old one.

boomx2sjk likes this.
  19. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Can't we have both?

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    sure lets do 50/50.

21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Concerning stories about behind the scenes troubles for this show in the media (haven't checked how valid the stories are). This show has big shoes to fill in the already crowded "sad old man with regrets" stories in the sci-fi department.

Patrick Stewart's playing the story yet again (having done so in Logan) with Star Trek Picard but the show had a stellar first episode I saw yesterday.

22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    When Disney brought Lucasfilm I knew that certain things would be lost, such as The franchise being more of a money maker over a passion project witch also just happened to make money. I knew that maybe the stories wouldn’t be so deep anymore and that there wouldn’t be so many aliens or “ new things” but I thought it was so great to have more Star Wars, but I have to be honest I never expected to see such indecision and lack of a plan when it came to The sequel trilogy. And although I’m not on the bandwagon of heating Kathleen Kennedy I’m beginning to wonder if it’s just time for her to go. This news is frustrating that’s all I can say really.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    So if the prevailing fan narrative surrounding the ST is "it sucks because it was rushed" and "it sucks because there was no plan" then the logical response to delaying Kenobi to ensure a quality product is a round of applause for KK and credit where credit is due. Right?

*checks Twitter*

Oh. I see. That was... unpleasant.

24. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I don’t believe the ST “sucks” I am just a little irritated by some of the decisions being made. The fact that this may be going back to a film and is delayed is irritating.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020