main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I mean historically the Spanish inquisition would announce it's coming some weeks before so people could get ready. Surprise wasn't their weapon, confession and record keeping was.

MercenaryAce, Dawud786 and Alpha-Red like this.
  2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You know what, I need there to be a LEGO Star Wars with a whole "no one expects the Imperial Inquisition!" bit.

I might have to do an action figure photo of that with 2nd Sister and 5th Brother....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I just watched Obi-Wan Kenobi: A Jedi's Return.

I'm actually surprised to see that some scenes I had thought were shot in the Volume actually seem to have been filmed on other types of sets and on location. Leia's capture on Alderaan was on location, surprisingly. Outside the Jabiim location seems to have been on a more elaborate set with blue screens, not the Volume as I had assumed. Anchorhead was on location.

I really enjoyed the look behind the scenes and just listening to Ewan and Hayden talk about all of this is really really nice.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is this show done at six episodes, or are we going to get another season?

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Yes!

Yes it is done and originally was planned as just this. With a different ending though they altered before release due to it getting a second season most likely.

Vialco likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Woah, Vader vs. Obi-wan already in the third episode?

- Their confrontation doesn't feel anywhere as dramatic as in ANH.
    - I feel like it diminishes Vader's line when he says "a presence I haven't felt since..." and it turns out the answer is 9 years ago, rather than 19 years.
    - Does "I was but the learner, now I am the master" still make sense when Vader completely dominated Obi-wan in this fight? And if Vader could so easily dominate Obi-wan, why doesn't he do so in ANH?
    - Brought this up in another thread, but I feel like a Force user should be able to just use the Force to counter Force-choking and other telekinetic attacks.
    - Why does a little bit of blaster fire and some flames stop Vader from capturing Obi-wan? Even if he has a fear of fire, or his suit can't handle it, he could just do what he did earlier and telekinetically pull Obi-wan to him.
    - Young Leia really does seem like a young Leia.
    - The intro music sounds like something from KOTOR2.

Sarge and AusStig like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hint: Get to the end.

8. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Episode 4...

- Oh man, how is Tala still alive at the end of this episode? She keeps telling these unconvincing lies, and there were so many times when I thought, "welp she's dead", only for the Imperials to swallow her story or hesitate long enough that she walks away unscathed.
    - For that matter, how is Reva still alive at the end? I assume she's lying to Vader about having put a tracker on Obi-wan, but even if she were telling the truth, it doesn't sound very convincing...and I'm surprised Vader actually is convinced.
    - The whole rescue operation seemed rather implausible. Then again.....the one in ANH probably was as well.
    - The underwater tunnel reminds me of Manaan in KOTOR1. That was a nice touch.
    - The Inquisitors' base has TIE fighters...shouldn't it be their job to keep unwanted intruders away?
    - Using T-47's for offensive raids seems pretty suicidal because you need that big carrier ship that can be easily intercepted and shot down. And yet somehow, well, that doesn't happen.
    - Also, T-47's can cram 3 people into the backseat? Okay, it's probably modified...but thinking of the scenes in ESB it doesn't seem like you can carve out that much extra passenger space.

Well...time to hop back over to Andor.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Vialco likes this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Episode 5...

- Now Tala dies? After all that she managed to survive in the previous episode, now they kill her off, and with a random blaster bolt?
    - Okay I was wrong about Reva lying to Vader, she really did have a tracker with Obi-wan. But even if Lola were reprogrammed, she probably doesn't have a long-range transmitter built into her to begin with.
    - And how does reprogrammed Lola know the layout of the Jabiim base such that she can go in, cut a single cable, and disable the hangar door?
    - Why does Vader send Reva down to lead the attack if he thinks her loyalty is in doubt, or that there might be even a small chance Obi-wan might convince her to let him go?

AusStig likes this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Episode 6...

- Imperial-class Star Destroyer looks scary and intimidating again. I like it.
    - Acrobatic Vader in a lightsaber fight looks weird. Not because I think he should be depicted as a crippled man in a suit, but it's just a weird contrast with the OT, where it didn't seem like physical agility was indicative of one's Force abilities.
    - Reva gets to Tatooine really quickly.
    - Holy crap, Owen and Beru are ballsy, taking on a dark Jedi. Yeah, she was injured, but they didn't know that. Also, was fighting her really the best plan? Even if they somehow beat one inquisitor, they have to assume the Empire knows about Luke's existence and that an army of stormtroopers will be on the way.
    - Did Luke get a glimpse of Reva before he escaped from the homestead? Does that mean he's seen a lightsaber before ANH?
    - ROTJ Palpatine instead of ROTS Palpatine. Thumbs up.
    - Obi-wan traveling to Alderaan at the end seems pretty risky.
    - "Hello there." [face_laugh]
    - Didn't really like seeing ghost Qui-Gon at the end...that felt unnecessary.
    - Ending feels kinda sad. I had always assumed that Obi-wan lived a dreary, depressing life on Tatooine, possibly going a bit insane from the solitude. After a bit of adventure, now he's going back to that.

Overall it was a fun series. More so than Andor so far, IMO. But then again, this was only six episodes so I guess they had to pack everything into a more compressed timeframe.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
  12. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Unsurprisingly, they feared avoided joking on Reva.

darthzac14 likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I never knew there was an award for outstanding producer.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    How can they be getting all these nominations. The Directing was terrible (that scene with the fence in California and wondering why Obi Wan didn't sinply walk around it[face_laugh]) as was the production. The show looked like a fan film not a show from a Multi Billion Dollar Company. The Grand Inquisitor looked like he'd come away from a Fancy dress party after having a few to many. How on earth can they be awarded for any of this. Its not right

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Don't see those complaints and sure he could have walked around the fence, but he when he had a child with him. Grand Inqusitor and the aliens looked great. Little too mutch volume i agree on and on Book of boba Fett. Didn't see this fan film compalint.

18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm definitely confused by the gripe about the "fence." Nothing about that scene implies that simply walking around it was an option given the guard tower, heavy stormtrooper presence, probe droid, surrounding terrain, and the circumstances of their approach to it. Or is it about Obi-Wan taking the direct approach afterward and simply shooting the control to turn off the gate? What's wrong with that? "Bad direction" would have been wasting at least a minute or so of screen time by having Obi-Wan and Leia unnecessarily take the long way around, climbing around the rocky terrain on either side of the gate, when an easy and obvious direct path was available.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Then I suggest you watch that scene again. There was no reason for Obi Wan to open it rather than simply walk around the fence, unless it was to drive the vehicle through, which he didn't do.
    That was just 1 of many examples of a half assed Direction and production (we've not even got to the obvious Script problems) that did'nt care but knew it had a Starwars label and Ewan Mcgregor back so it was going to be watched anyway.
    Like I said those Directing and Production nominations are undeserved.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  20. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Maybe he wanted to have maximum maneuverability in case there was an ambush. More options for retreat if the entire width of the canyon is open then if you have to go around the fence.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is probably not a popular opinion, but.... many episodes of the animated shows were way better than Obi-Wan. They were more creative, visually more stunning, the stories were more emotional, and they overall added a lot more to the SW universe. A good example being last week's episode of Bad Batch.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree. I wish Kenobi had simply been a 1 off movie retelling of the Kenobi book which was a fantastic EU story.

Iv always felt that the Kenobi show plot was basically just a Pound shop rip off of Jedi Fallen Order. You've got a Jedi with PTSD relearning his skills while facing his past while being hunted by an Inquisitor that has her own complex history and issues, while on his own mission. Complete with Darth Vader and Fortress Inquistorious too. Yeah there are few differences ie in this case its a whole bunch of Force children needing protection instead of just child Leia but the basic plot is the same.

Bit late but there are some great animated shows. Not just Starwars either. Arcane is an incredible show for example

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I did watch the scene again - before I posted my comment, actually - and I'm still completely baffled by this argument given what's on screen. But I have little interest in dying on such an absurd hill, so sure, going around the gate rather than simply opening it was clearly the better option in that scene, why not.

[​IMG]

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm, so I'm surprised Freck ended up being such a minor character. I remember seeing some screenshots of this guy and thinking "oh he's gotta be important". But it turns out, he wasn't. Seems odd that they'd go to the trouble of designing an entirely new alien that could walk and talk, but ended up not using him very much.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    How much should he be used? He serves the story. Star Wars has had plenty of aliens who only showed up for one scene -- Garindan, Dex...Zuvio.

Riv_Shiel likes this.