main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It doesn't mean Owen actually would. Luke even laments that he'll never leave Tatooine, so it's implied Owen's been stringing him along with excuses for a while. Owen's fears for Luke haven't just gone away.

What was Obi-Wan going to do anyway? He clearly wasn't jumping at the chance to start training Luke any time soon.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Obi-Wan could have at the least told Luke why joining the Imperial Academy was a bad idea. And if he didn't even know what Luke's plans are, he's doing a pretty bad job as long term guardian.

Your theory means Owen was lying to Beru as well as to Luke. While it's possible, I don't think we've seen him being dishonest to Beru at all other than what you think must have been his dishonesty in this situation.

3. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Maybe Obi-Wan did tell him. Or maybe Owen did. It's not like teenagers particularly listen to moralizing from their guardians anyway. But Obi-Wan wasn't Luke's guardian in ANH; ROTJ created that retcon, so now it looks like Obi-Wan's dragging his feet over training Luke for no real reason.

Owen isn't lying to Beru. "I'll make it up to him next year" doesn't mean "I'll send him to the Academy next year". He tells Beru clearly what his fear is over Luke leaving home.

4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Now that you mention it, the Rogues Gallery feature in Insider 146 does have him in the briefing scene:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little difficult to tell with the white thing over his head, but it does look like that's Lawson standing to Carrie Fisher's right, and not just some rando that Insider later tried to consolidate with Wedge. Good call.

Him being next to Ackbar in the Resistance base scenes in Episode VII would have meant a lot more to me --- us EU fans know him as someone who was one of the first to reenlist after his retirement when a new threat emerged. Sure, he probably would have died alongside Ackbar in Ep. VIII, but it's just so disappointing that in the new EU all he did after Jedi was be in the Aftermath trilogy before retiring to become a farmer for thirty years. That's not the Wedge EU fans knew and loved. It's not even close.

5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    He opened a flight school and was there long enough to mentor Poe, who began academy training in 27 ABY. So Wedge doesn't retire right after Empire's End.

Daneira and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    And now, reading through the canon tab of Wedge's Wook article, I find that the Resistance Reborn novel casually mentioned that Admiral Statura is dead. What the hell is this crap? They killed him offscreen because he wasn't in Episode IX? Way to ruin any chance of him being in any future books, comics, or other media. Dammit, the OT didn't have a single Rebel outside the main cast and Wedge from one movie to the next and nobody blinked twice; it wasn't necessary to kill Rieekan off just because he wasn't in Jedi. What a dumb move.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Nobody145 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    New Canon has been surprisingly bloodthirsty from the start, when Dark Disciple killed off the franchise's foremost female villain, Ventress. So this isn't new for Disney Canon, but rather surprising for a continuity that is supposed to be built around filmed media and film/tv appearances (once you kill those characters you can't bring them back in a film/tv show unless you break continuity).

Even the EU's most infamous death, Chewbacca, was basically a Sherlock at Reichenbach falls situation as they never found a body and Chewie could have been brought back easily enough if necessary.

Nobody145, Jeff_Ferguson and Xammer like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Statura isn't in Last Jedi either and everybody from the Resistance on D'Qar ends up dead aside from like a dozen people and we don't see him in that group with the others, it's pretty logical to assume he went down with everyone else during the escape at some point.

EDIT: What I want to know is what happened to the white bearded "Maybe the planet!" guy who says "Maybe the planet!" and then we see him with the binos on the front lines at the salt lands of Crait. That guy was apparently the dialogue coach on set of TFA and I wonder what happened to him and his excellent diction.

Daneira likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Is it logical to assume he went down with the escape from the Resistance base (I'm assuming that one's "D'Qar")? Snap wasn't in Episode VIII and he didn't die then; Statura could have easily been off doing whatever it was Snap was doing. That's an easy out. Poor Ken Leung. I don't care so much that his character died, but an offhand "oh btw he's dead" is cheap. Kill him in the actual narrative, you cowards!

Nobody145, BigAl6ft6 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think it was an assumption that D'acy's line about their whole leadership being gone meant Statura as well. Little guys like Snap can be more easily explained as surviving in that case.

I mean hey at least it wasn't a source book death. (pouring one out for you, Legends Eeth Koth)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Filoni's going to revive Statura? Perfect.

Before we get off the Wedge tangent permanently, here's the interview Syndic Thrass was talking about:

Listen to that Dundee(?) accent. Sounds so much like his nephew.

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This is what Wedge sounds like to me in my head. Whenever I hear him voiced with an American accent, my imagination ignores it.

I had no idea Denis and Ian McDiarmid were college roommates!

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I had heard they were classmates, didn't know about the roommates part.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Late to the discussion, but I'm not surprised to hear Lawson warn about taking on a Star Wars role (particularly one like Obi-wan Kenobi). Not like we haven't heard about actors who had... regrets later on about sci-fi roles, and up to the present we've seen how fandom react badly to certain actors or actresses, unfortunately.

Figures they would kill off another side character, the nu-EU has been awful at actually managing side characters. Well, the sequel era at least. I still remember they killed off Hobbie in nu-EU (or went back to the original story but still we could have had the basis of a Rogue Squadron).

I always loved that line of Owen's, particularly how well it works in that movie and then after ESB. I know Vader wasn't originally meant to be Luke's father so in that movie alone Owen is just being protective of Luke, worried of him going off to war like his father (following Obi-wan) and getting himself killed. And Luke already doesn't like the Empire but the Academy's one of the few ways off Tatooine and he probably hopes he won't get too horrible a posting.

Then of course after ESB it sounds more like Owen worrying about Luke turning out like Vader or being discovered but mostly worried about Luke going out into the galaxy. It would be interesting if they got back the prequel Owen and Beru actors back for this, to see exactly how much Obi-wan told them about their new adopted son. Or actual step-nephew, considering what we see in the prequels. Old EU had Owen knowing about Luke's heritage and worrying about him showing any Force powers ever.

With what some of the comics hint Obi-wan was up to on Tatooine, it'll be interesting to see if he'll be preparing for training Luke or not (or even Qui-gon cameos). Obi-wan probably hadn't been planning to start training Luke that week but Artoo's and Threepio's appearance obviously meant destiny was calling.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    WHAT

Ah come on for **** sake

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    You know, I totally forgot about this element. I'm sure that's a huge part of why Owen doesn't want Luke to go to the Imperial Academy. He'd be totally Inquisitored away.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, Hobbie died in the original cut of Empire Strikes Back, as did Veers

18. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Sure, but that crash happened in the EU, too, and he survived and became a bacta superstar. Boom, easy out. It seems weird that they would take a fan-favourite EU character and put a stop to any post-ESB potential he could possibly have, for, as Dan Wallace made it sound like, not much more of a reason than slavish adherence to the films and even possibly a desire to stick it to the EU that may have been kicking around in 2015. The same thing they're (possibly?) doing with Boba.

19. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I think we all have to accept that characters don't come back from the dead like they used to.

Ulicus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    [face_clown];)

cthugha likes this.
  21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hobbie's death annoyed me when I read about it, though I knew even back then there was very little chance of them using his character for anything anyway, but still felt like a waste. Of course by now we can see just how much of a waste the nu-EU has been after the sequels.

Well, the Mandalorian turned out surprisingly well so I kind of have hope for this series. Unless Mandalorian turned out well because corporate didn't meddle with it too much beforehand but hopefully that wasn't it, as otherwise i'm worried about this series due to the higher profile character.

22. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The new EU killed off General Draven too, didn't it?

23. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, but in an actual story, same with Dodonna.

24. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Dodonna is dead, too? Didn't know that.

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Same arc as Draven, one issue later.

Nom von Anor likes this.