main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Technically he was a Sith apprentice, having recently sworn himself to learn from Darth Sidious.
    The line to Dooku is weird no matter what, its plausible it had been a few months since their last meeting, but the meaning of that line clearly has been changed, though it doesn't really impact anything beyond those few words.

I mean, I always assumed that line was a reference to ROTS. Granted a lot of people don't see it this way, but I think the fact that Obi-Wan didn't draw his saber until Anakin made clear he couldn't be reasoned with was an indication of his hope in redemption. Anakin could easily have sensed that, hence the line.

But a Obi-Wan vs Vader meeting in this timeframe just doesn't work for me no matter what. Vader has been killing Jedi for years by this point, I doubt he still considers himself a learner, Tarkin is convinced that he must be dead "by now" indicating it has been a very long time since he was last seen, he promised to watch Luke, he hasn't gone by Obi-Wan since Luke was born, he clearly comes off as a little rusty with his lightsaber in ANH, and Obi-Wan seems to buy that Anakin is completely lost by the end of ROTS.

Not to mention I feel it undermines the significance of their duel in ANH, they hadn't seen each other in 20 years, despite their history they are basically strangers to one another, Vader still hates him from Mustafar but is experienced enough, and cautious enough now to know he can't underestimate him. It feels like there is so much going on under the surface, and that just wouldn't be there if they had met more recently IMO.

Though I will give them a chance, I don't want to jump to conclusions based on one line and I legitimately like the idea of a spirit quest where Obi-Wan learns to become one with the force. An Anakin/Vader confrontation in that context makes sense, it's a real one that I just can't accept.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    This will be the rematch of the century,” Kennedy said.

Yeah she really doesn't get it. The ANH fight IS the rematch. Its an old man vs a broken crippled man strapped to a life support machine. That's the point

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm pretty sure the "rematch" comment wasn't meant to be taken quite that literally.

It also seems obvious this isn't going to be just "Obi-Wan and Vader get into another lightsaber fight." You don't need to bring Hayden back for that. I like the idea that Obi-Wan's training under Qui-Gon requires him to battle Vader on a more spiritual battlefield, one where Vader isn't necessarily burdened by mask and armor. Creative people can come up with all kinds of good ideas that don't make a mess of ANH - as Vader himself might say, "have faith."

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Like there's wiggle room for a full on physical rematch, not a lot but they can get away with it. Although Force-plane battle confrontation could work as well. I can go either way. Physical would take away from the power of the ANH duel though.

I'm thinking Hayden will mean a lot of meditation and milk bath scenes. Or they could go with helmet damage Vader (Which while comics and games have done it a lot hasn't been done in live action), kind of like Twilight of the Apprentice where they broke the helmet and Vader's voice changed to Anakin's voice.

5. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My take on this is weirdly complex -- I don't think anything will ever stop this from being my #1 A+++ All-Time Most Wished-For Star Wars Thing Ever, but my actual expectations of it keep changing.

1. Expected a low-key Kurosawa-type character study type thing, but I get that Mando has done so much of that already (sometimes even on the same planet) that it would be hard to play that as "original"
    2. Not especially excited about Vader appearing or any kind of shoehorned galactic-scale events in what should be a quiet time for Obi-Wan.
    3. Excited about Hayden to the extent that, if that's the way they're going, it should be him.

Overall I think the years of development hell are probably a good, rather than a bad sign, because they've probably tried all kinds of approaches and found that this one works best. Unless the Kurosawa thing was totally rad, and Mando just beat them to it!

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Then how is it supposed to be taken ?

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Not literally.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    So she was only joking o_O
    You see I do take her seriously. It was an announcement to hype the show and what bigger announcement than to say we are doing the Anakin v Obi Wan rematch

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Or maybe folks just gotta get ready to give up the idea of original interpretation because i am.

The OT being on this pedestal needs to end

Ventrix and ThisIsTheWay like this.
  10. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Or maybe we could stop being pedantic ***** with a need to overanalyze literally everything and just enjoy the ride until we get there.
    /gets back to constructing a timeline of the battle of coruscant in all its media forms.

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    “It was such an incredible journey playing Anakin Skywalker,” said Christensen. “Of course, Anakin and Obi-Wan weren’t on the greatest of terms when we last saw them… It will be interesting to see what an amazing director like Deborah Chow has in store for us all. I’m excited to work with Ewan again. It feels good to be back.”
    ''This will be the rematch of the century''
    "featured McGregor saying 'The most beautiful thing of all [about the series] is that it’s brought me back together with Hayden,' and adding that the two will have 'another swing at each other' before the end of the series."

Does sound like a rematch, and I'm fine with it actually I've always felt that the ANH duel didn't feel as momentous as it should have. I don't mean choreography wise but more what's going on between the two. Alec and JEJ's acting doesn't fully convey that these are two former brothers turned bitter enemies IMO but that's not a fault of theirs at that point in Star Wars development Anakin and Vader were still seperate characters. Anakin was his best friend and Vader was the backstabbing evil student.

edit: This series might also finally give more credence to the "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" line from ROTJ

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    ThisIsTheWay likes this.
  12. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    Perhaps Vader/the Empire accidentally becomes a bit to close to discovering Luke and Obi-Wan leaves Tatooine to send them on a wild goose chase across the Galaxy.

13. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm excited by the prospect of a rematch. If they do a good job, then I'm happy to look past continuity issues. On paper bringing Darth Maul back was a horrible idea, but they used him so well his arcs are among the best of TCW. The Siege of Mandalor is the best of the show. Plus, I'm not convinced this would contradict ANH. Obi-Wan knows Anakin survived and views him as more machine than man so they could have feasibly met off Tatooine. Vader says when they last met he was a learner, but he was a Jedi Knight when they fought. So that can be interpreted in multiple ways. Vader says he hasn't sensed Obi-Wan's presence "since..." but never specifies since when. After ROTS he knows Obi-Wan survived anyway. I could see a story where Obi-Wan has to do something to ensure Luke is kept hidden and that leads him to facing Vader.

ThisIsTheWay and Dream-Thinker like this.
  14. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Generally hate the over reaction to comments in Internet forums, ugh.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I've decided I will be satisfied with nothing less than Obi-Wan having an idealised imaginary friend version of Anakin who comments on everything going on in his life.

Then, plot twist, it turns out it was Anakin the time travelling Force Ghost all along. WooOOOooOOooooooOOooOoooo.

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    as much as I'd hate a duel between Kenobi and Vader between ROTS and ANH, I wonder how they could pull it off if they do...

and my crazy mind came up with an epic twist that could blow tv history for ages:

What if Vader getting close to Tatooine, being just one grain of sand away from finding Luke by accident (or the Force), is what activates Kenobi to lure him away? Kenobi cannot reveal himself on Tatooine or else Vader knew something is up at Tatooine. So Kenobi has to leave Luke behind to reveal himself elsewhere so Vader will come chasing for him asap.

Now, for Kenobi to return to guarding Luke, he needs a convincing exit so Vader does not follow any trail to him or Tatooine once he no longer lets himself be chased visibly. Hence he would not want to face Vader in combat but create a diversion so his trail runs cold. Luckily for him, the diversion presents itself in an unexpected way. Crimson Dawn and Darth Maul!

Hearing rumors about Vader chasing Kenobi, Maul gets active to not let Vader snatch that kill away from him. But Maul never finds Kenobi, and instead he and Vader meet as Kenobi sneaks away. Cue Vader vs. Maul duel we all have been waiting for (ending with Maul presumed dead once more but as we know escaping to Malachor).

And with Kenobi gone again, trail cold, Vader thinks the Kenobi he saw and briefly dueled was only an illusion and lure by Maul. Maul never met Kenobi and may think it was a lure by Vader and Palpatine if he did after all.

All three live and survive the encounter licking their wounds.

Ventrix and Dream-Thinker like this.
  17. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    So kinda like this comic? That could be pretty dope.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If anyone has any doubts that Obi-Wan and Vader will meet, then put them to bed. Also, it looks as though we will definitely be seeing other planets. Whether or not Kenobi goes off world, though, I don't know. This will pretty much be a direct sequel to ROTS:
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news...otage-description-sizzle-darth-vader-rematch/

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wonder how much will be Hayden in the suit as Vader, padding and camera angles can do a lot of work to make him physically intimidating if they have him and McGregor do dueling. Definitely in closeups where he has to emote through the armour using body language. I never really got the "he doesn't fit the suit!" complaints from his moments in ROTS. Although I would like to see some helmet-less Vader acting since they got him, hopefully moreso than just one scene. Could Vader have holo-conversations in his meditation chamber with his Master where he could breathe? I mean, probably!

20. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    That's one way to make the most of Hayden being back...

I still want an imaginary Anakin hanging out with Obi-Wan in his house/head. I'm already picturing his entrance...

*Obi-Wan finds Anakin's lightsaber and picks it up. He flashes back to their time together in the prequels, culminating in their duel in RotS. Feeling distraught, he throws it across the room.*

Head-Anakin: Hey, treat that with some respect. I want Luke to have that some day.

Boom! ANH, TLJ and TRoS references in one fell swoop. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    This makes me so upset. I was really looking forward to this show, with Obi-Wan wandering the desert, in maybe small but spiritually significant quests. That can still happen, of course, but Vader and Kenobi going one on one, right in the middle period between ROTS and ANH... Ugh, they just couldn't resist the temptation. I'll still give it a chance, maybe they can pull it off in a way that I can get behind. But right now, I'm kinda cautiously pessimistic. Too early to say anything more.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  22. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I still feel pretty confident this isn't necessarily going to be Obi-Wan and Vader going toe-to-toe as characters. It will be in Obi-Wan's spiritual journey.

Having Ewan and Hayden face off again would still qualify as a "rematch" and all that.

IG: @jedisufism

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  23. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    TBH all I ever wanted was an adaptation (either literally or in spirit) of JJM's Kenobi.

24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Those statements from Deborah Chow and Ewen McGregor still do not represent confirmation of a literal, physical lightsaber battle between Kenobi and Vader taking place in the real world ten years after ROTS.

And if they do? At worst we end up with a round of debates about the meaning of Vader and Kenobi's words in ANH and what they meant and and how literally they are to be taken, and eventually the events settle into our personal "fabric" of how we understand and interpret Star Wars, and we move on. I remember when the fandom was deeply worried that Luke encountering Vader in the first couple issues of the Marvel comic back in 2015 would somehow destroy the "meaning" of their duel in ESB. That duel survived with meaning intact, and possibly even heightened as we now understand it to be a rematch rather than a first encounter. This will end up being similar.

Of the upcoming projects, I think this is second only to Andor in terms of my level of excitement for it. They might be neck and neck, in fact. Any return visit to Tatooine is a good thing in my book; getting to do it with Ewen and Hayden is pretty much the best of all worlds.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  25. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Im holding to the vision question angle for now, the concept art of operation Knightfall sounds awesome and that definitely sounds like an excellent use of Hayden since it would make no sense to stick him in a suit so we never see his face.

Would that be a flashback or a vision? What if Ben is wondering what would have happened had he not left Coruscant when he did and the result is him dying in the attack on the temple?

Nah, its needs to be Ghost Anakin going back in time to chat with living Obi-Wan.
    Ben just thinks its his imagination playing tricks on him.