main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Man I wonder how they felt when Splinter of the Mind's Eye came out.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'd love to think that there was that one guy in the theater who was super upset by Vader appearing in ESB because Splinter showed him get his arm lopped off and fall into a bottomless pit. "Only two movies in and they're already not paying attention to canon? Did Irvin Kershner not even read Splinter?"

BigAl6ft6, Daneira, Ventrix and 4 others like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To be fair, the novel did say they could sense Vader was alive in that pit after falling in.

4. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I wonder if we'll be seeing Ewan's frequent acting collaborator, current real-life girlfriend, and incidentally one of my favorite actresses, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, in this. I doubt they'd be brazen enough to give Obi-Wan of all characters an actual love interest, but I could see her as a sort of "evil Bond Girl"-style antagonist, a la her roles in Sky High and Charles Swann.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Winstead could be a good contender for an Annileen Calwell type character, or even Annileen herself.

6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean, I was, like, seven years old, and even then I pretty much knew that SOTME, and the Marvel series, and the newspaper strip, all of which I read, were kinda fun little things that ESB was totally going to ignore when it came out. (And that may be why fandom has only gotten more and more frustrating to me over the decades.)

Anyway, nah, I really didn't want this to be a big, arguably-shoehorned "middle match" between Obi-Wan and Vader, but there's already plenty of weird continuity stuff even in onscreen Star Wars, so the main thing is going to be whether of not this is good in and of itself and particularly for Obi-Wan as a character, and... it probably will be, so I hereby adjust my expectations and remain positive.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean at the end of the day it's all about the execution.

If it's great, only those who are really continuity sticky will probably be miffed.

If it's great and satisfying I'm sure a lot of folks will be like..."That was awesome"

Mandalorian has been proven that with a lot of the things it's been doing this season.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    SotME has great continuity with TESB in general as far as this goes.

Splinter: Luke literally states that Obi-Wan is present and working through him during the duel, and it freaks Vader out.

Empire: Obi-Wan tells Luke he can't help out this time and Luke must face Vader alone.

I don't even think it was intentional, but it works beautifully, and I'll never understand why it constantly gets brought up as some kind of "gotcha".

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If Vader and Obi-Wan fight in 11 BBY, why would Vader say to him in ANH, "The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master." Vader would not refer to himself circa 11 BBY as "but the learner." There's so many lines in ANH you have to ignore already because they don't make any sense. They're going to retcon that film into complete irrelevancy.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Nah, nah, you're not thinking it through:

- Obi-Wan is gonna hear Vader survived and take it upon himself to confront him, he'll drop some rumour about him being back on some planet to lure Vader out
    - Vader will show up and Obi-Wan will make some prequel meme joke about Anakin taking a seat and not being a Master
    - Vader will retort with some line about how even a Sith learner is more than a Jedi Master can handle, making sure to emphasise the word "Learner" so we know it's a call forward to ANH
    - Obi-Wan will keep calling him Anakin and Vader will be like "You shall address me as Darth!"
    - They fight
    - It ends with Vader using a Sith magic ageing beam to transform Ewan into deepfaked Alec Guiness, forcing him to use his trap door escape plan
    - Vader thinks Obi-Wan has disappeared into the Force but five minutes later a trooper exposes the trap door and he's like "Noo! I swear I'll never let Obi-Wan escape me by trap door again!".
    - Everyone will praise how it seamlessly fits between RotS and ANH

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
  12. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Because he "left" Obi-Wan when he turned to the Dark Side, not when they parted after their last fight?

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    People could make that excuse, but that would be an intentional reinterpretation of what was very clearly Vader referring to the last time they encountered each other?

14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    But Vader didn't "leave" Obi-Wan at Mustafar.

Plus, it's not as if intentional reinterpretations of lines in SW have happened before. ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The Obi Wan story in the original FACPOV addresses some of the inconsistencies in Vader's dialogue in ANH

Basically Vader is deliberately twisting the facts to bait and rile Obi Wan. All the exchanges in that duel are attributed to psychological warfare.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  16. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    And that's basically how legends interpreted it too. From "Darth", to "Your powers are weak old man.", they were baiting each other, trying to get under each others skins.
    I've always thought that was the best interpretation of the dialogue that fits with the intent of Lucas and the gravity and context of what was said.

17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, some of the first reinterpretations of that scene (including the "Darth" thing) were done by Lucas himself. I mean, I'd still rather that stuff going forward tightened the narrative up rather than sticking yet still more stuff in there because it might seem "cool", but hey. This is where they're going so I hope they do it well.

Xander Vos likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm hearing rumors on the internetz that Tamuera Morrison has been cast to play a role in the Obi-Wan show. Speculation has it that he's playing Cody or another clone(s).

That's finally a rumor I can get behind. Not just for closure between Obi-Wan and Cody, but closure for Obi-Wan and his role leading the clones.

Mia Mesharad and Nom von Anor like this.
  19. juicepouch

juicepouch Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2020
    I wasn't even considering that as a possible storyline but it would be pretty neat. They're definitely getting their money's worth out of Temeura

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hilariously, a clone in 10 BBY would appear 44, which is actually a little older--and thus closer to Tem's real age--than Boba is supposed to be in Mando.

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Kind of mind blowing that Tem could basically be working in 4 of these shows.

I feel like Rex is almost a certainty for Ahsoka. Boba's probably going to pop up in Mando as well as have his own series. Which could also see him as Jango in flashbacks. And Cody in Obi-Wan, even if just for flashbacks to The Clone Wars!

IG: @jedisufism

BigAl6ft6 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perhaps we need to clone the actor so he can play all of these clones in different shows... ;)

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Sort of a spoiler... but oddly true after seeing the reaction to this announcement:

[​IMG]

Cynda, Cyber Spark, BigAl6ft6 and 9 others like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Whole lot of Vader meditation I'm thinking. I'd even love Vader having a Padme visitation apparition. In Darth Vader Vol 2 the finale that had Anakin and Padme meeting in the beyond was really fantastic. And Natalie is currently working again with Disney for Thor Love and Thunder so hopefully they can get her. Can even just remote green screen shoot her for a few scenes if it's a vision and all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  25. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    REJOICE, PREQUEL FANS! WE HAVE BEEN VINDICATED!