main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really appreciate that they made the Emperor's make up look more like ROTJ than ROTS or TROS.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you're both trying to apply a logic that isn't there. Which is also reflective of the dark side - people don't make good decisions in it.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I need to hunt screen-grabs at some point but...

Quinlan Vos, Roganda Ismaren, Djinn Altis, Valin Halcyon are mentioned on the Path walls - anyone else?

I've seen some outlandish asides, but those four consistently.

I did have a mental conniption remembering the Nejaa-Valin-Hal-Corran timeline mess from Jedi Trial (which moving it pre-TCW alleviates a little more), but I coped. Djinn Altis was only tentatively killed in the Imperial Commando II plot proposals so it's not a biggie if he's around for a bit longer.

CampOfSorgan and SWpants like this.
  4. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Can you elaborate your interpretation of her motives? I'd love to have a more satisfying explanation than what I've been able to come up with on my own.

5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    One of the leakers, (specifically, the one with the most credibility and track record) had described certain plot points that were originally included and subsequently reshot in post. Some of the stuff with Reva makes a little more sense if you go by that.

Specifically, originally Reva was supposed to discover that Leia was force sensitive during her interrogation and upon seeing the message from Bail would join the dots that Leia and Luke were Anakin’s kids. Her going to Luke was specifically to get revenge by proxy by killing Anakin’s son.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I thought it was clear that she was there

To hurt/fight Vader. In her breakdown she says "he killed them and I failed them".

So she just somehow realised/assumed that Luke was Vaders kid and went from there.

7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I agree that is the best interpretation. But I am curious as to what @Jedi Ben's interpretation is that would give Reva a less logical and more impulsive (presumably) motivation.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    AusStig likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you're assuming a rationality that isn't really there. After losing to Vader, Reva tries to stick to the Sith script. Find someone to pay, preferably someone who slighted you and hurt them. Cue Owen, not Luke. Killing Luke is to hurt Owen because he fooled her! But even this is pretty weak.

And she even gets all the way to doing it, then all the breaks catch up with her and she's done. I don't think one decision not to do a terrible thing moves her into the good column. Especially after all the stuff she did in earlier eps. She's stopped her own dark side descent and that's all. She has a great deal to atone for.

(So too does Anakin, but we're stuck with him getting a mystic get out of jail free card.)

Dawud786 likes this.
  9. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I thought it was pretty obvious she connected the dots that the kids were Anakin's and she was going to kill his kids just like he killed her friends. The message doesn't explicitly say this, but at least in my mind I felt she had enough info to put it together. Assuming she's wanting to hurt Owen just because feels like the bigger stretch to me.

Regarding Reva's atonement, I think there's a couple of things in play here. In real life, yeah, someone isn't going to do the things that Vader or Kylo Ren or Reva has done and get to be called a good guy because they said they wanted to be one. But Star Wars is fantasy and this whole Dark Side/Light Side business is a metaphor for the struggles we face every day. The choice whether to be better or succumb to our personal Dark Sides. Seeing someone in a story that seems so far gone still make the choice to be better can maybe give someone hope they can make that choice too. And our personal Dark Sides aren't likely to consist of genocide and torture, so there won't be as much concern about atonement.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Though they would never admit it as such, many people support genocide by government.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Soontir-Fel and Dawud786 like this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Pitch Meeting have done Kenobi

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't like Pitch Meeting.

And giving giant eyes in their videos is so annoying.

13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006

This is interesting. So the original idea was an Obi-Wan trilogy and this season/limited series was just an adaptation of the first of that trilogy?

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    That seems like entirely too much Obi-Wan

Riv_Shiel and CampOfSorgan like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    There is never too mutch Obi-Wan.
    Season 1 of Kenobi was good. Cant wait for season 2 with Kenobi and Qui-Gon force adventures.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  16. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    For me personally, I would love another Season of Obi-wan. I wonder if the general audience would be less impressed. I mean the first season has him against both his biggest personal demon and the franchise's marquee star, Unless he goes and punches Palpatine in the face, it's kind of hard to up the ante for an attention grabbing premise vs the first season.

Hopefully people are charmed enough by the character and Ewan's perforamance that Disney feels confident in a smaller scale adventure. I would still hope for offworld because I like discovering new parts of the galaxy and Tatooine is well worn but we would need another compelling reason for leaving planet to assuage the naysayers (ah who am I kidding, people would just find other things to nitpick but that's the nature of moder fandom). I'd be fine with a short hop off planet for a good reason (short relative to years on Tatooine). Not necessarily Luke protection related as Season 1 kind of showed that Obi-Wan learned the lesson that he can engage in the galaxy.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite seriously why the need to go off planet? The Kenobi novel shows how to do an on-planet story.

18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I also think mystical visions are a great option

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Cuz Tatooine has been done to death. A lot of people are sick and tired of deserts.

Barriss_Coffee and CampOfSorgan like this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    And what works in book form wont work in movie and tv show for the masses. Season 2 of Kenobi might all be Tatooine with small adventures.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll have sand and be grateful for it.

More seriously, they can't do bigger and top two duels with Vader so they have to do something different. Possibly involving Reva?

Barriss_Coffee, QuinlanSolo and Sarge like this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

What could have been in the Kenobi movie that was scrapped. I pray for Cody's future.

23. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    This is more or less how I interpreted it.

After realizing that she was never ever going to be able to kill Vader, she lashed out and wanted to hurt somebody. Finding the message simply gave her a target to direct her hurt and anger at. I don’t think she figured out who Luke really was (or even particularly cared for that matter). All she knew was for sure was that he was important to somebody (and killing him would hurt them tremendously.

Then again, I’m also of the belief that if she knew who Luke was, it would have tipped the scales enough for her to kill him.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    For me, yes, the sparse desert thing is a little long in the tooth. But really, moreso it's because of the Kenobi novel that I don't feel I really even need a Kenobi in the desert story. That one was close to perfect for me. Sure could do another western pastiche but really that ground is now well trodden by Star Wars too, recently. Won't turn it down but would prefer something else.

Sarge and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I wouldn’t mind Kenobi S2 being primarily on Tatooine if all the other star wars shows avoid going to Tatooine between now and whenever S2 happens. We’ve gotten a lot of Tatooine lately and I’d just prefer we shift focus to some of the other planets/planet types instead.

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.