main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

OC ownership and plagerism

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    I've got my first story done and it involves an OC. I need a beta reader (yes, I posted a request for a master) and then I am ready to post. I am a bit hesitant because I'm really happy with both the story and the character.

Basically, I'm wondering a couple of things:
    a) How rampant in plagerism in the fanfic world? I know there are punishments in place for offenders, but how often does this really happen?
    b) How about OC theft? Is there a way to protect an OC legally or is that out of the question because we are working in Lucasland?

Obviously, if I'm really not sure, I simply won't post the story and it will remain mine. I'll just go write something else I'm less attached to. (me, unattached to my work? ha!)
    I'd just love to share it as I'm very proud of it.

2. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Speaking for myself, I have never felt that it would be fair to claim ownership to an OC character that I create, since I use ALL of the SW and EU characters, which are LFL.

This is just my view, but if I created an OC that someone else wanted to use in one of their stories, I'd feel very honored.

3. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Since I don't have any experience with either topic, I'll just direct you to this thread:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/a/b1/12644409/]Plagiarism: Theft vs inspiration[/link]

- lazy

4. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    OC theft is quite rare, so I wouldn't worry. Most of the time when it does happen, it's because someone didn't realize that the character in question was created by another author and wasn't canon. I know of one character that's often used in Before the Saga fiction that falls under this category. At first people remembered to ask the author, but then new writers started seeing said character everywhere and began to think he was canon.

However, that's one case I've seen out of who knows how many fandoms I've been involved in, so I wouldn't worry.

If someone does fall in love with your OC, they're more likely to ask you directly if they can use s/he in their fic, and you're more than welcome to deny their request. But even this is rare, so again, I wouldn't worry.

As for good old fashioned plagiarism -- well, it does happen, but I've yet to find a site that doesn't do everything in its power to stomp it out whenever it sees it. You'll be protected as best anything written can be protected.

EDIT: How often does plagiarism happen? Not often. I depends on (a) how popular your story is (the more popular, the more likely it is to be copied, perversely enough--but also the more likely it is to be caught quickly and dealt with) and (b)how long you write--people I know who've been writing/posting for five or six years are more likely to have dealt with one plagiarist than those I know who have been writing/posting for five or six months.

5. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I have no idea on the process of geting a Beta, but if you want I'd be more than happy to look your story over, just don't call me master.

As far as OC theft...Never seen it, of course a lot of my stuff doesn't get read, so there's little chance of seeing one of my OCs stolen.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Most writers are kind enough to ask permission to use an OC before they do so. Actually, I'm thrilled if they like a character well enough to want to write them. And they give credit for the characters as well, which gives both of your stories a little boost.

And since I'm playing in George's sandbox anyway, I don't feel so territorial, LOL!

I would say that out and out plagerism is very rare. Sometimes there are misunderstandings that are usually worked out between the writers without hard feelings on either side.

7. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks for all the speedy responses!

lazy: Thanks! Yeah, I read through big chunks of that thread, very informative, but hadn't quite answered my direct questions, hence the new thread!

All the comments made me feel a bit more confident in posting my story. Of course I realize that in the fanfic world we all tread on thin copyright ice as it is, but some things really feel like your own, ya know?

Anyway, still need a beta in addition to my own internal editing, but hopefully I'll be posting my little tale soon.

Thanks again!

8. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I read through big chunks of that thread, very informative, but hadn't quite answered my direct questions, hence the new thread!

The lateness of the hour (3:00 AM here in Japan) is making me put on my evil hat and ask: Then why didn't you post in that thread? I mean, it's not like it was locked or anything.

- lazy

9. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Sorry, I guess chalk it up to newbie error?
    Won't happen again!

10. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Nobody really minds about newbie errors :p

And plagiarism isn't that rampant. The only case I've ever heard of involved a songfic that happened to use the same song and idea. The one writer got pissed and the accused plagiarist got banned because apparently she admitted to it. :rolleyes:

11. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

There's no legal redress for fanfiction, because again, here on TFN it all belongs to George. However, if you wrote a story and then later read a plagiarized version of it, the offender would be punished by a ban if the offense could be proven.

12. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    You say you're looking for a beta - you know about the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/17119860/?103]Beta Reader Index[/link]? It's where you request a beta/find a beta.

13. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    Yes, thanks. I know about the beta thread. Posted on adopt a newbie thread, not beta yet.
    And just to clairfy, I just mentioned the beta search as a point of reference for my situation, NOT to request a bet or get attention! Blech! I so did not want to start a problem with this, just get an answer. I thought the OC issue would make it separate from the plagerism issue!
    Really sorry guys! No need to keep replying. This does not deserve to be upped!
    Thanks for your patience!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.