main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

OC Writers Anonymous: Step on a Jawa and break Shmi's Back

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by oqidaun, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Pull up a folding chair, grab a stale doughnut and make yourself at home.

Hi, my name is oqidaun and I write fic with a lot of OCs--a lot.

For a reader, discovering a good OC can be akin to a surprise visit from a chatty Papa George who wants to explain the mysteries of GFFA, including how some of the Empire's best troops could be defeated by tribal teddy bears, why stormtrooper armor didn't work as effectively as clonetrooper armor or why Jedi Padawans wore mullets (business up front/party in the back). Sadly, a bad OC experience is comparable to being trapped in an elevator with Jar-Jar Binks and no available weapons of mass destruction.

Undoubtedly, we've all had our share of bad OC experiences. Every one of us has stumbled across or has written (time to fess up kiddos) one of those OCs who makes you want to stab your eyes out and renounce your literacy. However, we also have read or have written the ones who put a lump in your throat, make you snarf carbonated beverages, see the humanity in the bad guys or think about the GFFA in a totally new light.

OC writers are a tough and often under-appreciated lot, yet we keep trudging back for more--we either like the abuse or have something important to say. This thread is an attempt to provide a forum for OC writers (I know there have been others in the distant past, but MODS this will be unique, I promise) to pull together, like our very own leper colony, and talk about what makes us tick as writers and why we tell the stories we do.

I was inspired to start this thread after seeing how the "Throw in the Towel" crowd was composed primarily of OC writers (maybe we just dominated the discussion), the lack of support at the Dueling Circle (we need to support each other) and the really great response to the OC Survey/Meme thingie.

ANNOUNCEMENT!
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL OCs!!!

For those of you who like to "walk the walk" and not just "talk the talk" and really want to throwdown with your exceptionally awesome OCs allow me to subtly encourage you to take your badself and OC buddies over to the following challenges. Yeah, I'm calling you out!

If you're really intrepid and mildly insane there's Fluff-Slayer's [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/21285956/?43]Ridiculously Specific Challenges[/link]. These are are the kind of challenges that make all others (even the "torturous dares") look as soft as a seven week old guunga fruit. Once you start down Fluff-Slayer's challenge path--forever will it dominate your destiny. If you're too [face_chicken] to play, at least drop by and read what authors are doing with these challenges. It's most impressive.

If guunga fruit and fire isn't your thing, there's SabyneAmberle's [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/19871809/?413]The OC Dueling Circle[/link]. Every week there's a new challenge dictated by the winner of the previous week's challenge. It's a deadline based challenge (for those of you who have to have your deadlines) and the winner is determined by popular vote. This is a really excellent group of writers, super friendly, and a great place to take your OC's out for some exercise.

If you've a god-complex and a penchant for World Building (I know I do!) drop by avowed OC Revolutionary JMT's thread [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22112407/p1/?18] Our Star Wars Universe[/link]. It's a fabulous database of OC Worlds. Get over there and promote your playground!

[face_skull] Immortalize your OC Story and Characters! For significantly less effort and money than it would take to print out and give to twenty friends all of your OC-centric epics, vignettes, song-fics and haiku--Wookiee Luvin' Correllian_Ale has an offer you can't refuse. Drop by the NEW and IMPROVED [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/25562370/p1/?25]The New and Improv

2. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I do have to admit I feel bad about not really participating in many of the OC threads so far. Because I have a confession to make. See, I used to hate Star Wars. (No, that's not the confession.) But the thing to convert me over to liking and loving Star Wars was...

OC fan fiction. Yup. It was SW fanfic driven primarily by OC's.

So, much of my early SW fanfic is highly OC-driven. I belong(ed?) to a group where we would write about our own Old Republic Jedi characters we'd created. Most stories were set around the time of the Jedi Apprentice series or just before. We of course used canon characters in most of the stories, depending on who you needed or wanted to have show up. Anyway, I have...tons, and I mean tons of story outlines and notes and ideas for the lives of my OC's. Yes, they took over. It got so bad, that I had to create an outline/database/monster thing in Excel to keep track of each story and event and when it took place in each character's life.

And then someone wanted me to read their Beyond fic here on the boards, and that converted me to the post-RotJ SW verse (which I had also previously hated), *headdesk* and I keep meaning to get back to my OC's, but I have sooo many fics to write. Some of my OC fics do feature a few canon characters more prominently, but in my head, my OC's are so alive (and loud!) that they're just as "canon" to me as Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon is. While watching AotC and RotS for the first and second times, there was a part of my brain figuring out what each of my OC's would have been doing and fitting them into the frame of the movie.

So... why don't I do the OC challenges? Wow. I would love to do challenges, but I simply can't crank out a story fast enough for those deadlines. Especially with the length some of my ideas are, and I'd rather try to use existing ideas than create even more, but I suppose that's inevitable. Someday, I'll do those challenges, even for my own writing exercise, but I just can't crank out stories in a week unless it's very very very short. And I'm trying to get myself to write longer ones... Kriff. Did I just talk myself into participating in the OC challenges?? [face_worried]

Okay, I'm gonna stop rambling and go onto the questions.

The Good: Which of your OCs do you consider the prize horse in the stable? Why?
    :oops: *sigh* See, this is where other characters that literally spawned themselves from the lives of my original group of OC's (I know that sounds odd) start talking and won't shut up! They create themselves, pop out of nowhere and then demand a voice. [face_worried]

The Bad: What's the worst thing you've ever done to an OC?
    'Killed' him and brought him back to life. Actually, no, the worst thing I've done was to the Padawan whose Master I killed, after he'd been through some nasty brainwashing and drug control... [face_whistling]

The Dinner Date: Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? (My question, so I get to plan your menu--ha!) What would you discuss?
    ...Heck, I already discuss everything with them in my head anyway. Some people get dinners with their OC's?? *goes off grumbling* ;)

-Mia

3. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    [face_blush] Oqi the All-Talented. I'll have a knock at it!

The Good:
    It's either T'mye or Tilley--though no one else will know who T'mye is, as her chapter is still being written. I think she's a brilliant character, though.

The Bad
    Well...in "Eyes so Cold", Knight Hirosi Kir is the first to forsee any danger, and no one believes her. She is unable to block out these awful prophecies and is eventually institutionalized because of it. (Don't tell my readers...tee-hee.)

The Ugly
    Um... Alloi, perhaps, from "A Case of Doomed Diplomacy". He makes only a few appearances, but I stand by my answer.

The Dinner Date
    Actually, you'll have to forgive me if my bishiest OC is not a SW universe character. [face_mischief]

4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Hello, my name is lazykbys (but call me lazy, please) and I write OC fics. I also have this habit of creating OCs for just one story and never using them again.

I think it's because of the way I write. I usually come up with the story first and create the characters to fit it. If they don't fit, it's simpler to change the characters than the story - and it's easier to do that when you're using OCs.

Also, there's a seductive voice at the back of my head that keeps saying, "You know, you could do this and this with this story if it wasn't a [canon character] fic" and "This doesn't need to be a [canon character] fic, does it?"

Alyn Byar, who is a minor villain in The Fires of Rebellion. He does what he does for greed, and he doesn't have the guts to admit to what he's doing. He rationalizes his misdeeds. He falls apart under pressure. As far as I can see, the man has no redeeming characteristics at all . . . and that's why I think he's the best OC I've created so far. He had a part to play in the story and I think he played it very well.

The Bad What's the worst thing you've ever done to an OC?

Physically, I had two stormtroopers shoot Byar starting at his toes and ending somewhere just below his crotch, leaving him alive but crippled.

Emotionally . . . well, there's this vig (Fifteen Hundred Credits) where I had the Jedi take away an OC's son. Then they sent the boy to the AgriCorps when he didn't make padawan by his thirteenth birthday. And for a short while in between, the man truly believed he would get his son back.

The Ugly Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC?

I'm not sure if this counts, but in my one-post vig, The Past, there's a nameless woman with a couple of lines. I'm planning on expanding it into a longer story where she has a major role due to a reader's curiosity.

The Dinner Date Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? What would you discuss?

I don't know, most of my OCs are people I wouldn't hang out with. And even when they are, I don't think they'd want to hang out with me. I'd probably bore them to death on a date.

- lazy

5. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    YAY! An OC Appreciation Thread, how nice. =D=

Yeah, OC's are a really big part of Fan-Fiction aren't they? ;)

The GOOD: Well I haven't really writen many OC's at this time, but it would have to be this little droid named KY-L4. Right now he just ran away from his mean master, unfortunatley this was only a response to an OC challenge and I haven't written anything else for this little guy. But he has a big heart for such a small body, and one day I hope to write more about him.

The BAD: Well, it's not like I've written bad OC's but I have killed....some. [face_worried] One was a clone named JI-M7. He was also in an OC challenge, unfortunatley his fighter was blown up and he was sucked out into space where he died in a collosal explosion!

Yeah..... that's definetley the bad.:eek: [face_worried]

The UGLY: Hmmmm, I haven't had an ugly duckling experience left, but if there was anyone I would chose for this role, it would be the little droid KY-L4

The DINNER DATE: Well, with a run-away droid who I can't find, and a few dead clone OC's there's really not many OC's to chose from is there? :oops:

6. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    :D Oqidaun's unmeasurable awesomeness continues as she rallies the ranks of OCs!

The questions, quickly, because I'm at work. :p

The Good: Cynari Willfire. She hasn't made much of an appearance yet, but she has a lot of potential that I haven't tapped into yet. She's got a couple stories that are just begging to be written.

The Bad: Cynari's probably had the worst of it so far. Her Padawan dies in the Clone Wars, she's sent off to a Jedi triage unit for the duration of the Wars, she manages to survive the Purge while losing all of her friends and everyone she's ever cared about, and then she gets caught up in this rebellion, eventually sacrificing herself for its cause. All without a single complaint.

The Ugly: I'm getting the feeling that Seithen Berne will turn up here -- characterization-wise, at least. He started out as a source of more angst for Nirel Berne, but he has since turned into a free-standing character. I've got a full-blown WIP starring him.

The Dinner Date: Rurik Berne. He remains unseen in the Berne Family Portraits, but I'm sure he'll turn up eventually. I'd like to sit down with him for two reasons: one, I don't know much about his character at the moment (except that he's Nirel and Tuli's uncle and he is a career military man); and two, he's supposed to be quite the charmer. ;)

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Howdy! My name is DWH, and I've gotten sucked into the world of OC writing. :p I actually don't have an army yet, but they keep multiplying. It all started with one, but she needed a backstory. And to give her a backstory, I needed, you guessed it, more OCs.

Well, I'll have to stick with Leiraya for this one, as she's the most well-developed. The other ones are still finding themselves, But I do like her a lot, even if she has a mind of her own. :p

Well, I haven't done very many evil things yet (I have some planned, but I'm not telling... [face_shhh]), so I'll have to go with the knee problem I gave to Leiraya. It might not seem like much, but I have a friend with that problem, and it can be living Hell sometimes.

The Ugly: Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC?

Well, I suppose I'd have to put in my vote for my old OC, Juliana Antilles. She started as a Rebel Squadrons character, and after some shifting and rearranging, she landed in the AU prequel scripts my friends and I started writing, and she's turned into a really awesome character.

The Dinner Date: Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? What would you discuss?

Hmm, well, Partlet's out, since he'd talk my ears off and I wouldn't get a word in edgewise. Kylan might be interesting, though. I imagine we'd talk about his experiences in the Mandalorian Wars, and what happened to him.

Great thread, oqi. :D

8. East_Coast_Ryder

East_Coast_Ryder Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2005
    Ah, OCs. Love them. Can't write SW canon charactors IC to safe my life...

Well, maybe to save my life...

NEways...

I have always loved my OC, April. I just started writing her and as she formed she seemed just like a less psycho version of me. Trust me, if I ever use her for Star Wars (which could happen; I use her in many fandoms,) you'd like her, too.

Oh, if I told you, I'd have to kill you...

The Ugly: Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC, i.e., one that started off mediocre and grew into something beautiful in terms of characterization or audience appeal?
    April again.

The Dinner Date: Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? (My question, so I get to plan your menu--ha!) What would you discuss?
    I would probably join for dinner my OC, Cale Solo, who is Han and Leia's great-great-great-great-great grandson by way of Jacen. We would discuss idiotic machines and spaceship repair...

9. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Ah! Feel the love in this thread!
    I, too, am a member of the OC writer's club. It's great to write canon characters, and I do it often. I think, though, that OC's give us the freedom to really explore the GFFA in way's Lucas never imagined (and in some cases, intended :D). Here, here to all of us!

Definitely Lybra from [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=21084317]Something To Hold Onto[/link]. She's a powerful character with a unique story and while the tale is Obi-Wan based, for me, she's the star. She made her presence well enough known that she's been spun off into her own original galaxy and encouraged me to work on a first novel *gasp*.

The Bad:What's the worst thing you've ever done to an OC?
    I've done a couple of things that my little audience will be quite displeased with, but haven't posted it yet, so no spoilers!

The Ugly: Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC?
    Ka'leb Bindo is a small child who was a throwaway character in a vignette. He and his Master ended up becoming leads in a Purge era story and the kid really grew on me. I was quite surprised because I'm not exactly a "kid" person.

The Dinner Date: Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with?
    That's a toughie. Actually, there is an OC pair (Jedi Master and his canine Padawan) who I'd like to spend time with so they can tell me their tale. Lybra would probably be my first choice though.

10. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Hoorah! I'm glad to see people responding to this thread and interacting. :D I always fear that I'll start a thread and people will just stop by to tell me a I dress weird and smell funny.

Here's my GOOD, BAD, UGLY and Dinner Date:

Good: I have to go with my Nordakari General Lambarde (A Thousand Shades of Gray/A Cacophony of Voices/The Price of a Crusade). I just love him. He's fallible, long-lived and absolutely surprises me some days by doing the exact opposite of what I think he should do. I've also gotten to do quite a bit of world-building for his backstory and I love world-building.

Bad: In Burn! Burn! Burn! the poor padawan who committed suicide by holding the lightsaber to his forehead and hitting the "on" switch--probably the worst one, thus far. [face_devil]

Ugly: Also in Burn! Burn! Burn! little Miss Badour. She started out freaky and quiet, now she has a following. She's really taken on a life of her own. I love to write her.

Dinner: Mazaricky No-Name as he'd probably pay for the eats and drinks (A Cacophony of Voices/The Ballad of Mazaricky No-Name/Ewok Murder Rampage). He's also a cutie. We'd talk about plotting for A Cacophony of Voices and the prequels to Ewok Murder Rampage.

Tonight, I'll put up another point of discussion to keep you OC aficionados coming back...

11. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    Oqi, this is the coolest thread. Thanks for spreading the OC love. :)

The Good:
    Which of your OCs do you consider the prize horse in the stable? Why?

That's tough because I really love all of them (even the not-so-nice ones). I guess my favorite is Shelarne Viraess, an Imperial officer. She hasn't shown up over here yet because I haven't had time to start posting the novel she appears in, Dust of Empire. I like her because she does all these things in the name of duty even though deep down she knows they aren't right, she's driven and smart, and she's nothing like me. ;) But Miele in Blood and Ashes is a close second. She's fun to write.

The Bad
    What's the worst thing you've ever done to an OC?

I never do terrible things to my OCs. :cool: Seriously, if I told you then I'd be giving away all the endings to my stories! I guess I like to put people through the emotional wringer. Although I'm sure Rath Darkpiper didn't enjoy getting torpedoed into oblivion by Boba Fett.

The Ugly
    Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC, i.e., one that started off mediocre and grew into something beautiful in terms of characterization or audience appeal?

I feel that way about my newest character, Tessa, from the story I wrote for the Order 66 challenge ("Forgotten Flowers"). At first she was just envisioned as an observer, but as I started writing her she became very real, with a voice I couldn't ignore. I'm planning on putting her in more fics.

The Dinner Date
    Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? (My question, so I get to plan your menu--ha!) What would you discuss?

Oh, that's tough! Maybe Grand Moff Kezler (from Dust of Empire). He was originally modeled on a friend of mine, but of course he became much darker as I wrote him. I guess it would be interesting to spend an evening with him talking politics. Also, he's kinda easy on the eyes. [face_love]

12. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    I do have to admit I feel bad about not really participating in many of the OC threads so far. Because I have a confession to make. See, I used to hate Star Wars.

*grins* I'm glad I'm not the only one! While I did love the OT, I used to think the books were...well...childish. When I finally picked one up because of boredome...boy did I find out how wrong I was.

The Good: There's no doubt that Ashra Le'Dar is the best OC I've ever created. Not only is she not a Jedi or a smuggler, her opinion of the two groups lies somewhere in the middle.

As for my best villian...the villians in the same story. They're bad (like, they kill people and stuff), but they believe it's for a good cause, and they think that the people they're doing it for (who don't even know about them) appreciate it.

The Bad: To date, the worst thing I've done is pair my OC on a mini-mission with a colleague she detests. Worse things come later.

The Ugly: Hm...one of my OCs from a story which will probably never be posted started as just a body to fill in a position for a group. The OC didn't even have a name. One night I suddenly found a name for the OC, and this whole plot developed.

The Dinner Date: Definetly Ramos Anteby, another OC from the story mentioned above. I don't know much about him. Might be able to get him to open up after several glasses of wine.

13. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    The Good:
    Kenara Kolvo, from my WIP Crimson Knight (Coming to the Saga Board soon.) She's my favorite at least for now because she has to be while I'm writing her story.

The Bad
    Is putting one on the Death Star bad?:eek:

The Ugly
    Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC, i.e., one that started off mediocre and grew into something beautiful in terms of characterization or audience appeal?
    Yes, Otaana Saavk from my story Decoy. I wrote her in out of necessity, but my Betas loved her.

The Dinner Date
    Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? (My question, so I get to plan your menu--ha!) What would you discuss?
    Otaana. She's bold and classy. And anyone brazen enough to square off against Boba Fett who lives to tell about it should make an interesting coversationalist for an evening.

14. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I've been doing the OC challenge, only missing two of them so far *pats self on back*.

Although some are just for the challenges I am going to have a couple that will see some major board time. However, this is all in the works so I'll try to answer the best I can.

The Good:
    Which of your OCs do you consider the prize horse in the stable? Why?I think that would be my OC in Skeleton in the Closet, who I can't give a name yet because she's still a mystery. She's getting popular because she's the product of a biological experiment using two Saga canon's reproductive cells. Finding out who those canon's were was a big build up and when the readers meet her I hope that she stays that way, popular.

The Bad
    Zimaria is my OC in Seeking the Light. I've killed her family and her people. I've taken her childhood. I've sent her to Ossus to kill Mara Jade Skywalker.

Will she live at the end? Can't tell because it's a WIP. But whether she lives or dies, she won't be returning at the end of that fic.

The Ugly Have you had an ugly-duckling experience with an OC, i.e., one that started off mediocre and grew into something beautiful in terms of characterization or audience appeal?

Since I haven't really gotten into the thick of my fics, I would have to say no.

The Dinner Date Which of your OCs would you like to spend some quality one-on-one time with over a cheap merlot and some spaghetti? What would you discuss?

If that's a date then I say no one. My OC's are female and I'm, how should I say this, just not into same gender relationships.

Now if this was two girls going out on the town, checking out the guys. I'd say it would be Melena Wolcz, from my Disabilities Challenge. She's the most normal of the three. I just can't hang out with abnormal people anymore.

15. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    The Good:

Hard one. I guess it would have to be Eitan Delano from my Learning Series. He was a Jedi but had all the flaws and baggage that we mortals do. He did questionable things in order to do what he felt was right. I enjoyed trying to make him a well rounded OC.

The Bad

Hum... I suppose creating one just to be a throw away character.

The Ugly

That would be Desimir deCrion from my Redemption Series. He was going to be one of those above mentioned bad. He started out as a crazed clone who was going to be killed off rather quickly. The more I wrote, however, he took on a life of his own and somehow became one of my most popular OC's and even had a troubled past.

The Dinner Date

Probably Shai Kenobi from my Redemption Series. I'd love to find out what it's like to be a clone, especially a clone of Obi-Wan's. It would be interesting to get inside his head and discuss his extended family. Plus he looks just like Obi so the view would be lovely. ;)

Great idea! :)

16. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    The Good:

Kenos Ossinian, the guy I started with. He's the unsung hero who fights and suffers as much as the Skywalkers and Solos but is hardly thanked for it. War affects so many more people than the politicians and Generals, and he's one of them.

The Bad

Put one in a relationship with Numa Rar. I did it because I love to tie my stories into the cannon of the novels, but it really sucked for him.

The Ugly

Well, all of my writing has gotten better, in every aspect. I just call that improvement.

The Dinner Date

Jasila Volova because she's low-maintainance enough to enjoy that menu. She and I would discuss military life and flying.

Kenos would just complain about how watery the meat sauce is.

17. Thumper09

Thumper09 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I should really start posting in some of these discussions instead of just lurking, considering that the fics I write have nothing but OC's. :rolleyes:

So with that said, good topic, and I'm enjoying everyone's responses so far. :)

The Good:
    That's definitely my main OC, Darin. I feel like I know him well enough where if someone gave me a situation to put him in and specified the point in time when it took place, I could tell what he'd think and do. He's far and away the most developed character I have, and I'm awfully proud of him.

The Bad:
    Well, let's just say that I'm not afraid to kill my OC's, even if they're main characters.

The Ugly:
    I have several, but if I have to pick one I'd say it's Pellicer. He started off as nothing more than my "token Imperial defector" but has since grown into one of my favorite characters.

Dinner Date:
    The spaghetti is a great idea, but I couldn't really call it a "date" since the character is married, so I'll call it a "one-on-one chat." :p I'd love to sit down and pick the brain of Commander Mackin for a couple of hours. He's such a prominent character in my fics but is also one of the hardest for me to write since his background is so different from mine. It's very difficult to make him seem realistic and competent when I have no clue what I'm making him do. :p

-Thumper

18. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Hi. My name is Vongy and I write OCs... a lot.

The Good: Nick Solo is my prize OC. He's probably the most in-depth and most interesting. Even if I'm not his original creator.

The Bad: Probably Torre and Chess's horrible experience at my paws.

The Ugly: Ennth Solo orignally started out as a minor character, but now he's shaping up to steal the spotlight from his sister.

The Dinner Date: I'm gonna take Torre. He's the only one who's older than me.

19. Iryla

Iryla Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    Hey there, I'm Iryla and though I write OCs you guys will probably never see them.
    But, I'll answer here anyways.

The Good:
    Iryla's my favorite my far (at least right now) She's just a really fun character to work with with a slightly odd sense of humor and a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Bad:
    Hmm, the worst thing? Um, I have a story about 2 pre-Old Republic Force users who end up losing their minds to the bad guy and they destroy everything they had worked to create. I felt rather sorry for them, but the plot was too good for me to let go.

The Dinner Date:
    Um, Ardeth. He's actually Iryla's guy, but I like him too. ^_^

20. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    The Good:
    That would probably have to be Cadfaelus CaeliAmbuli. I've had so much fun writing him, at all ages. I feel really sorry for him, though...

The Bad:
    Oooooh.... three-way tie so far. Caddy and Marteana having to give a kid up after a long time trying for one, Hannar getting shot in the back after almost beating Daddy Palpatine in a fair fight, and Saman having his entire close family either killed or stolen from him and then getting to spend time in a very small cell.

The Ugly:
    Let's see. Kalani seems to have quite a following in Signs of Life, although she really hasn't done anything yet. Ela managed to get her viggie qualified for Reader's Choice, even though she's rather twisted in her own way.

The Dinner Date: I wouldn't mind having a long conversation about galactic history with Cadfaelus. Particularly before his hair started going gray.

21. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    The Good:
    Which of your OCs do you consider the prize horse in the stable?

Flik Sivrak, because he's the one I've developed the most. Just like Anakin Skywalker was the main character for George Lucas, he's the same to mine.

The Bad

When I made Flik kill his son because his son had turned to the darkside and killed his mother - (I've not written that story yet, as it's kind of my Revenge of the Sith, one). After that he became a bounty hunter and swore he'd never use the Force again...

The Ugly

Tough question...I would have to say that would have to be Kopek, because he's such a messed up villian! I wanted the readers to hate him when I first started writing him because of the terrible things he does to his friends and his enemies, but the readers started to sympathise with him and wondered if he'd turn into a good guy! (this is one bad guy I'll never redem!)

The Dinner Date

I think that would have to be Ryqik (I was going to say Flik, but with him being a Shistavanen and all the grief I've given him over the years, he'd probably eat me for dinner!)

Ryqik is a lovely lad growing up in rough circumstances and I'd have to congratulate him on the way he looks after his sister and the fact that he's never let anything stop him from achieving what he has is good, even if he does go about it the wrong way sometimes!

22. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    The Good:

Oh, this is lovely. :D I haven't made a huge bunch of OCs, but I have made my fair share. Every story I've written, I believe, has had an OC be it for a main purpose or just a throw-away one. However, I'm afraid I can't back out with just one, so I'll give two. One is Terrell from my Silhouetted by Light. He's just so real to me. My second, which probably no one has seen yet, is Syfer Helis from my huge upcoming fic. Can't give too much away about him because it'd just confuse, but we'll just say he's a Jedi who's got some problems that don't make him a Jedi. :) But if Syfer were real, I'd marry him.

The Bad:

Ack. In a story I'll never post to the boards or anywhere else called Decadence, I tortured poor Jyro and then made him join up with the people who tortured him. So stupid.

The Dinner Date:

Syfer Helis. [face_love]

-Krystal

23. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Hi all, Z here. I write a lot of OCs that tend to mingle with Canon characters often. I found this thread fascinating because I've seen a lot of people ignore fics based solely on the fact that OCs are involved. It's great to see that I am not alone and the premise of this thread is awesome...thanks oqidaun!!!

I must say up front that I have a co-author to thank for the creation of some of the OCs in my "stable" so to tangled_sphere I say "Thanks and you ROCK!"

The Good...This is a difficult decision. I have three very deserving OCs, one of which has not been heard from in a looooong time, but is very dear to me. My name sake Zane Marit. Now before all the gary stu comments start let me say this...he passed the litmus test and he is in no way a gary stu. Zane was first introduced in my first fan fic attempt The Last Apprentice and his story continued on in Fringe Benefits. His story begins as the short term apperntice to Anakin Skywalker shortly before the purge. He escapes the purge with the help of a few friends and must now learn a new way of life...as a smuggler.

The Bad...The worst thing that I have done to an OC...that would probably got to Iant Brar, a young student at the temple that survives the purge at the expense of what he considers to be his family, the Jedi. His life drastically altered, he has difficulty adjusting to life and succumbs not to the Dark side, but to alcohol and spice. A haunting encounter revolving around someone from his former life forces Iant to question the life he has led since the downfall of the Jedi...His story is told in A Destiny Changed.

The Ugly...I don't feel that I have had a bad experience in writing OCs, but some have not been as developed as I would have liked mostly because they a secondary characters. One such character is Tell Rey'Tet, a Republic freighter pilot that is thrust into helping the Jedi at the time of the purge. This charismatic Bothan puts his life on the line and has sworn to protect two most important Jedi by showing them how to survive on the fringes of the known systems.

Dinner Date...When its put that way, I really have only one choice...Kehla Stahn. This is where props must be sent to tangled_sphere. Kehla Stahn was newly knighted in the times of the Old Republic and was shamed at failing her first solo mission as a knight. Seduced by the Dark side she plots revenge with her master, Exar Kun, on the Jedi order...Her tale is told in the fic, co-authored brilliantly with tangled_sphere, Best Served Cold.

Dinner discussion would definately include differences in philosophy between Sith and Jedi and what is Exar Kun REALLY like when no one else is around.

This has been a great thread and look forward to reading about other OCs...

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2002
    Hi! I'm PadmeLeiaJaina - PLJ to save your fingers from carpultunnel ;)

I've been writing here since 2002. I am an epic writer and have created my own giant AU/EU universe that sorta takes off after the YJK books.

I got ticked off when I learned that they killed off Chewie in the NJO books, so I've never had much use for the EU since then.

So...in my universe many of the YJK crowd is still there and I've created a whole series of O/C's who've infused themselves into the lives of the canon folks and have become canon members in my Universe.

The Good:

Well there are 2, probably.

1) Brukos Olissian: Brukos is the crown jewel in my collection of O/C's. To all of my readers great shock - he's not a Jedi, nor is he handsome. He is filthy rich, but he's got loads of problems and challenges being best friends w/ Anakin Solo and Tenel Ka. He used to be a big game hunter to prove his "manliness" and then I dropped the carcass of a flying reptillian creature on top of him and broke his back - so he's now in a hoverchair...and none too pleased about it.

Brukos is highly complicated. I think if I were to do a story beyond my current trilogy, it might focus mostly around him, I just adore him to death.

2)Marxx Racees: Marxx is a Jedi who reminds me a lot of Anakin Skywalker w/o the angst problems. I partnered him w/ Jaina and in a reversal of rolls of sorts, he tends to be the calming influence in his emotionally volital wife's existence. Marxx is fiercely loyal to his family and those that he loves.

I guess my only main problem is that I haven't had him face any huge emotional problems in recent stories - so perhaps I need to do that. His character needs some revamping a bit.

The Bad

I allowed my Beta to convince me to bring one of my female O/C's back from the dead. *Sigh* Most people don't seem to mind, they either love or loathe Raven. But I've always felt dissatisfied with her after that and have spent hundreds of pages trying to rectify things w/ her. I think I've finally come up w/ a plotline for her that I'm very pleased with. Don't get me wrong on this, I LOVE Raven, I fiercely love her character but she's just always been a thorn in my side.

The Ugly

Nastya Chume'da - was literally an ugly duckling. She was the child of a bastard heir to the throne of Hapes, she started out cold, calculating, and very unlikeable. As my story progressed she intrigued me and it turned out that her father was dictating her actions and once she broke free of his control, she blossomed into a likable, real character. She ended up becoming the girlfriend to Brukos - I'd only give him someone worthy of his love ;)

The Dinner Date

Oh probably Brukos - he's down to earth and an overall fun guy. I'd probably talk to him about his huge warrior costume collection that he's got in his mansion :)

25. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Oooh one I can answer!

I've been putting an OC together for a while now and I've been afriad to post anything at all about him because I was afraid he'd been considered a bit cheesy. But now that his story is coming together I feel a lot more confident.

Jedi Master Jai'dyn Solaris came from watching Stargate SG-1. Watching the character Daniel Jackson showing compassion and intelligence in dealing with various species, his peace loving nature, everything about him made me think that the character would have made a good jedi if he were in the GFFA. Then I saw a pic of the character in homespun robes, a cowl pulled up over his head and suddenly I realized I was looking Jai'dyn and his background just fell into place. The characters however aren't as similar as I expected them to be thank goodness. But when I think of Jai'dyn I always think of that promotional shot of Daniel Jackson that brought the character to life for me.

Yesterday I created another OC Eliana who's Obi-Wan's padawan in an AU that just sort of exploded into my brain. Eliana isn't based on anyone though, she just sort of appeared fully formed in my head even down to her abundant pride in her appearance (very fastidious this one). I've never had a character come together so easily as Eliana did, perhaps one of these days she'll let me know what she really looks like!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.