main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Biden Beats Trump" - The 2020 General Election Presidential Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I don’t really see how impeachment was a move to help Biden, particularly since I don’t think the DNC chose him as the candidate to back until after his strong showing in South Carolina. They were always going to pick a center/right candidate and then work to crush Sanders, but back in January I think they were still considering multiple candidates.

I do think it was a move to preserve Democrat credibility, in that they’d been making impeachment noises for years, and much of their base was demanding it. I now see why Pelosi was so reluctant to take that step, but of course she knew what Democratic voters did not—that in the likely event that the Senate would acquit, she and Schumer were prepared to do ... nothing. Impeachment was it. That was their entire nuclear arsenal, and when the beast they were trying to kill just grabbed the missiles out of the air, ate them, and Hulked up into a radioactive mutant beast, they just flung up their hands and said, “Gosh!”

I don’t blame the Democrats for not seeing covid coming. It was something that should have been on their radar in January, but at the time it looked like just another potential disaster among many. I do blame them for continuing to be polite and procedural while tens of thousands of Americans died, however. I mean, I get the “They go low, we go high” strategy, and at one point I thought that sounded like a great idea. But when you’ve accidentally invited the vampire inside your house and he’s killing off your family, it is not the time to say, “Please stop that, or I shall fill out and file the proper forms to evict you!”

The Republicans are capable of thinking outside the box and playing very dirty when it suits them. The Democrats appear obsessed with what future (and apparently very proper) generations will think of them, as if they are children whose Mommy is watching. However, I doubt Mommy will approve of “taking the high road” when that leads to defeat, irrelevance, and capitulation to a party of authoritarian incompetents who have already caused unimaginable suffering and death.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    facing the first challenge of his political career has exposed just how poor lindsey graham's political instincts are. on his own, harrison could potentially do it - he's an incredibly bright, personable, local guy who has spent his career laboring up the quicksand mountain of working in democratic politics across the state of south carolina. graham probably hasn't spent more than a week here since the mid-90s - he's seen largely as a native/resident of washington, dc. there are lots of african-american conservatives in this state who may break for harrison on that alone - there's very little personal loyalty to graham like there is to jim clyburn, or even as there was for upstate conservatives to a guy like trey gowdy. conservatives don't trust graham, liberals don't like him.

harrison is probably being stunted by all of these heavy-handed national players getting involved in the race, like "the lincoln project," who won't stay off the airwaves with overkill ads. they're oversaturating a market/population they don't understand, much like tom steyer did.

Rew, Yodaminch and 3sm1r like this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm consistently amazed that Graham has lasted this long. I just don't get what his constituents see in him. He seems like the most elitist, insider-y DC politician of the current era, and there are some whoppers there. I guess hitching his ride to McCain since the 90s helped him stay elected, and I'd also guess this is exactly why he jumped on the Trump train as soon as his friend died.

And maybe its just me, but I feel like I see way more ads from Never Trumpers and the Lincoln Project, either attacking Trump or promoting Biden, than I do from Establishment Dems, who seem largely quiet.

CT-867-5309 and heels1785 like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well Trump went through with banning Tik Tok. Now to see how people react. I actually see people saying this will secure the Gen Z/Mellanial vote for Biden. Like he didn’t already have that.

I highly doubt Tik Tok being banned will change anything. Hell I wasn’t even against it getting banned, Trump doing one thing I sorta like isn’t going to make me like him all of a sudden

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Just reading this morning too, that as of now, in Florida, there are 542,000 more Dem mail in ballot applications than Republican ones. I have no doubt that state will do everything it can to make sure they're not counted or "lost".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s best to consider Florida a red state at this point. The state’s government is to far gone to ever let a Democrat win. If they do win it’s because the state voted overwhelmingly democrat for some reason

Vaderize03 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    That may be true for campaigning and donating purposes, but Florida is pretty evenly split. It's not red like say, the Dakotas are.

If 542,000 more Democrats vote than Republicans, it will be rather difficult for the state government to eliminate that.

8. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    DeSantis just saw the Trump-Bat signal...he's on it.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What else are you imagining there was to be done, exactly?

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In January, I would've agreed that Florida was most likely going Trump.

DeSantis, however, has consistently botched the unemployment and pandemic crises in Florida. Despite doing everything possible to stop ex-felons from voting, a significant number of them still had their voting rights restored. So Florida, I would say, is a toss-up state at this point.

11. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Florida in the "Biden can lose it and still win, but Trump can't" category?

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That is correct. By most estimates, Trump has no way to win that doesn't include Florida. Most of Biden's path to victory assumes he loses it.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Trump may not be spending money here in arizona , but he's still got the third party ads.

"Joe Biden's America..." yeah sure.
    lol now they're running an ad that Biden and Obama didn't go after terrorists.
    the ghost of bin laden disagrees.

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Me on wishing we could have voted in June or July..

I've been sittin' here for days!

Biden can get a narrow victory. But I imagine Trump will wound himself further in the debates through his lies. This election may be a little closer due to Biden. If Bernie were the nominee, it would be an easy blowout.

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Just remember, according to Giuliani, and the other Trumpers, 911 happened on Obama's watch. Along with Katrina. And Iraq war. And this whole pandemic was under Biden's presidency.

Realty does not stop them from their narrative.

16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Then I fully expect 2000 levels shenanigans and cheating.

Sorry people, the hurricane ate your votes.
    Sorry people, we stop counting votes for Biden after 8pm. Every vote counted after 8pm, goes to Trump automatically.
    Sorry people, democratic mail in votes were sent to Siberia by mistake.
    Sorry people, the FL Supreme Court wants Trump to be prez, and their vote matters more.

17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    You might be correct, but I find it odd that they chose to narrowly focus impeachment on Ukraine rather than Russiagate, which they had been building up for three years. It seemed like a preemptive move because Ukrainegate started when Trump went after Joe's son for taking the position at Burisma. Keep in mind that Joe was still polling ahead of the the rest of the field at that point. In retrospect, I think the Democrat leadership and Obama were always more inclined to support him than we realized.

poor yorick likes this.
  18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    @Glitterstimm — yeah, actually, you make good points about that.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  19. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The best description I've ever seen for Florida went something like this:

You could offer Floridians a choice between an ice cream cone or a punch to the face and the final tally would end up breaking 51-49.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The Trump campaign thinks they can win Florida without it. I really do not see how that can happen. Biden yes but Trump? No. And Florida has been predicted the correct presidential winner since 1996 and considering the fact that Trump is really not polling well in several swings (I mean he is down now in Arizona and the pipe dream of him winning in Minny which was the one of the few states he thought they could flip is long gone) I really see no way in hell that he can lose Florida and somehow win the election. I mean sorry @blackmyron but that state is mostly a swamp with Disney World and Miami in it. If he loses that, then how he is going to win in the midwest and other states where demographics are changing especially since he now considers Florida to be his "home state".

Princess_Tina likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I don't really disagree with the banning of Tik Tok myself but it's not a matter of who it pushed over to Biden that he didn't already have, it's a question who Trump's action animates enough to turn up and vote (provided they're of voting age to begin with, in this case).

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Falling down into Trump Cult Twitter today, I see his followers dreaming/suspecting that Barr is going to bring up official charges against Biden in the coming weeks, so that by the time of the election, Biden is in jail.

Lol. They really love the idea of imprisoning their political opponents.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    He can't win without Florida, absolutely.

And I'll be honest - the more Trump supporters pull dumb **** here, like the Qanon woman that ran screaming through Target telling people to take their masks off or the bar owner banning mask wearers from his bar, it's just encouraging people that might've not gone to the trouble of voting to go and vote.
    Also, while many ex-felons were shut out by the federal judge upholding the poll tax, keep in mind that there were plenty of ex-felons that did meet the criteria, even with the Republicans stacking everything against them. And I guarantee that they are almost all going to be voting Biden instead of Trump.

Emperor Ferus and Princess_Tina like this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I'm pretty sure this is better explained by the fact that Mueller ultimately didn't make very strong recommendations, whereas there were multiple non-partisan--or even outright Republican--career officials willing to testify on the record about Trump's behavior as law-breaking, which had confirmation in the transcripts released by the White House itself.

Is it really that difficult to see which is a harder case to make?

25. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Indictments, mass arrests, and black helicopter trips to Gitmo for political enemies have been one of the main pistons in the Q engine since it's early days. That's what "the storm" has always supposed to be. So today is pretty much like any other of the last 3+ years in that cult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.