main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST October 30th 2012 reflection thread: Do you remember where you were when you found out?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Oct 30, 2013.

1. VonDizzler

VonDizzler Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    First thing I did was call my uncle, he's a huge star wars fan and introduced me the series when I was little. I remember his utter disbelieve and excitement. Actually I wonder if he goes on here too?

2. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Think I worked that day and found out in the evening TV news... or online... it was everywhere and I can't remember where I saw it first, but it was awesome of course...

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I can't post here where I was or what I was doing as it would most likely violate the forum rules.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

You pimp.

I think I was at work when the announcement was made. I was indifferent until I read that Michael Ardnt was hired as the screenwriter...and SW7 became that much more real.

5. Gibnerd

Gibnerd Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 1999
    I had just gotten out a screening of John Carpenter's Halloween and looked at my phone. There were about 10 text messages all saying things like "MORE STAR WARS!", "EPISODE 7?!?!", "CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!"... i had to run to the grocery store after the movie and i sat in the parking lot reading the news and just kinda letting the idea of seeing new characters & new stories featuring Luke Skywalker & the gang on screen again sink in. I am way beyond excited and yet I still kinda can't believe it's really happening.

Darth_Articulate and Import_Jedi like this.
  6. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Does this have some new meaning or does it still mean a person who profits from and mistreats women?

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    First thing I did was officially join the the JCF.

8. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I was implying that you were getting some action-- So much for giving a compliment 8-}

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Well, you see, I wasn't sure - in my day a "pimp" wasn't a compliment and "sick" aculy meant "sick", which was a bad thing, and now it is a good thing. :p

However, it is interesting that your mind went "there".... I cannot imagine a scenario where a person can be "getting action" and receiving such information as the Disney sale at the same time ;)

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I can come up with like... twelve, at least. Just off the top of my head.

EHT and Import_Jedi like this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    If I remember correctly I was just scrolling through facebook when I saw the news. It was shocking at first, but not really in a good way, because to me Star Wars was always George Lucas's story and the idea of Disney buying the brand and making more seemed like a purely cash-driven enterprise that had nothing to do with the Star Wars I knew and loved. Then when I started learning more and realized that Lucas had been working on the story himself before the sale, I was in disbelief because I never thought he would do that, but I really began to get very excited (at least until the director was announced, but that's another matter. Since then I've wavered from time to time, but I'm still quite thrilled). The funny thing is that after being a member here for several years, I had only just started posting in the temp forums that summer, and had only recently begun using my original account once the permanent forums were reinstated when all hell broke loose.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  12. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    I was at the local library, helping out with my friends with the children's Bookends program that afternoon. While we were cleaning up the room in preparation for Anime Club, I was on my phone and suddenly saw an announcement that Disney had bought LucasArt and that a new SW trilogy was on the way. Within seconds, I was scrambling over to my friends and babbling about the big news.

My first reaction was one of annoyance and disbelief, feeling that a new saga would be totally unnecessary. But that only lasted for a moment. I immediately thought back to Disney buying Pixar and Marvel Studios, which then led me to think about Joss Whedon and the potential prospects of him making a Star Wars film. Plus I realized that there really wasn't much else the series could do that would result in anything worse than what we got with the Prequel Trilogy and that the fan-favorite film of the Original Trilogy was the one that Lucas had the least involvement with.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Pray tell.

14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    It was during Hurricane Sandy. Being in upstate ny, we didn't get nailed HARD the same way Queens and New Jersey did, but the power was out for a few days. I found out my friend had power
    and so I went to his house to hang out for a while. Funny enough I randomly found Tales from Jabba's Palace kind of discarded in his house and he let me keep it.

Anyway, I leave to go home and as I pull out of his development he calls me with the news, and I almost crashed my car and I had to turn around and go back to his house just to verify the info.
    That night I pretty much read Tales from Jabba's Palace and watched movies on my iphone all night sitting in the car in my garage because for some reason the announcement made me realize I had so many movies to catch up on.

As far as I remember the movies I watched were Gareth Edwards' Monsters, the South Park movie, and something else. The movie watching binge lasted for months after that, however

15. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    LOL, it's possible... Perhaps you were on the sofa reading the news on your smartphone, and there's a companion sittin' in front of you who did um, all the work. [face_whistling]

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

When I commit to an important task, I give it my full undivided attention. ;)

Import_Jedi likes this.
  17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    x2

19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

???

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Sitting in a dark powerless house during the middle of Hurricane Sandy.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  21. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Do I really need to explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

You need to explain why you are jumping to the conclusion that it was what your post seems to imply you think it was :)

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No, he really doesn't. Everyone assumed that it referred to something like that. Let's move along.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Well, it didn't.

25. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Just for the record I wasn't "eww"ing at what you originally meant but at what the conversation turned into, if that makes you feel any better.

Now on topic, I remember I was laid up recovering from heart surgery when I heard the news. My dad had passed the year before and it was one of the few times, if not the only time when for a split second I was going to tell him something before I realized he wasn't around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk