main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Odd Kind Of Honeymoon - Luke/Mara - COMPLETE 24th March

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Luke halted ahead of her. He turned, and his eyes found hers. There was a silence. Then Luke walked back and took her arm, gently twining it through his. ?You need to go in there,? he said.

She pulled away, irritation flaring. ?Don?t give me that Force hokum.?

Luke re-took her arm, and said evenly, ?This has nothing to do with the Force. It has to do with you, and all those demons that don?t exist.?

Time for Mara to enter her version of the cave at Dagobah and face the demons and fears that she denies.

This is exquisite. I am so impressed with the way you superimposed the idealistic young adults of years past with the mature adults they became. Older and wiser.

Your story is a narrative that deserves to be lingered over.=D=

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wonderful update! =D=

I loved the two of them standing in the same places they did back then with the ghosts of their pasts...the two versions of each of them. Wonderfully written!

?How are those demons?? he whispered against her hair.

Mara drew back a little, and smiled. ?Non-existent. Remember??

Ahhh, Mara....gotta love her!

?But I was thinking more along the lines of taking ten years to realise what you meant to me.?
    I agree! But I guess neither of them were ready before that.

I can't wait for more!

3. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    I completely agree with you that Mara would fight any feelings of liking Luke's (very male) tendency towards protecting her. And that she'd "rather die than let him fight her battles for her," as you put it.

As for squibs, I think they're hilarious. I see them as very rat-like, opportunistic, sneaky, and ruthless when it comes to business.

You have such lovely phrasing, like this: "That came after, when that man became her sole failure, and then her every failure as he destroyed the breakers of her carefully checked life."

and this: "She hated it when he read her so well; and yet no one else could, or had ever, cared enough to do so. Perhaps that was why she pushed him away so hard at times."

great insight into Mara!

thanks for another update. Keep it coming.

4. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Bianka_Kenobi : *blinks* No, I wasn?t saying Luke has a beer gut? [face_laugh] Just that it has been fifteen-odd years since he last stood there, and even Jedi can put on a little weight with time, no? Mostly it just fit in that particular sentence, so I left it. :p Thanks for reading.

Jade_eyes : They definitely took their time getting together, that?s for certain. And don?t worry, there?s more to come. :D Thanks for the feedback.

ginchy: Thank you! A bit of mush can never hurt, right? ;)

Bri_Windstar: Thanks! Glad you?ve enjoyed the story so far. :D

Pariah: Always glad to spread a little warmth and fuzziness. :p Thanks for the feedback.

Jedi-2B: Thank you. Mara just isn?t Mara without a little bit of an edge, is she? Glad you enjoyed the post.

Yodan: Thank you. :D

StarFighter5: Thanks! That?s great to hear. [:D]

RedGold: Thank you! :)

JadeLotus: They have both come a long way from that first visit. Thanks for reading. :)

SpiritofEowyn: Thank you.

jade51999: Glad to hear you liked it. Thanks for reading. :D

divapilot: That parallel didn?t occur to me, but you?re right. It is similar to what Luke experienced at the cave, those fears and memories that you can never really leave behind until they?re out in the open? [face_thinking] Thanks for the feedback. :)

mavjade: Thanks? more is coming!

GirlJedi: Thank you very much. :D A new post is coming right up...

5. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Sorry about the shortness of this one, but this scene was difficult to split up evenly. The next post will be a long one, if it's any consolation....

The journey to Anchorhead took some days, and brought them to the very edges of the Dune Sea. Desert conditions becoming familiar by now, Mara took care to cover her skin from the bite of the suns. She?s returned to the comfortable, loose-fitting garb of the locals; it was only practical in the blazing heat. The skirts felt particularly strange.

?I never saw you as a skirt person,? Luke observed randomly one afternoon.

Mara turned to face him and struck a mock pose, her knee bent and a hand on her hip. She narrowed her eyes. ?So what do you think??

He smiled. ?Suits you.?

?Ah, but you would say that,? Mara observed sagely. ?Evidence of bias in the judge, I think.?

?The judge is very biased,? Luke agreed, crossing to slip his hands around her waist. ?The competition doesn?t stand a chance.?

?There?s competition?? Mara purred, lifting her eyebrows.

Luke only raised an eyebrow in return. ?You won by light years, obviously.?

?Obviously,? Mara echoed. He smiled. Mara allowed a smile of her own to soften her lips; and, tugging him closer, she claimed her prize.

They had almost reached Anchorhead ? being less than a day out ? when Luke began to slow the landspeeder. ?Luke?? Mara queried. She wasn?t exactly in the mood for sightseeing. The desert had its merits, to be sure, but civilisation or what passed for it on Tatooine also had its strong points ? such as real sanitation, and reprieve from the suns. She was beginning to look forward to reaching Anchorhead.

Luke had a frown on his face. ?There?s a sandstorm coming, I?m fairly certain,? he said. ?Moving in fast, from the look of it. I think we?d better find shelter. That ridge we passed a way back should suffice.?

Back into the desert, even a little way? ?All right.? Mara sat back, suppressing a sigh.

Luke flicked a glance at her, then turned the speeder and sped back toward the ridge. They only just made it: the wind was whipping up stinging grains by the time Luke parked the landspeeder in a sheltered overhang.

?There are some caves higher up, I think,? he said, raising his voice over the wind. ?We?d be safest there.?

They began to scramble up the rocky bluff. Luke had surer footing than Mara on the sandy rock; she wasn?t sure why. Old instincts, maybe, from his childhood. He turned back a few times to help her over difficult patches; normally Mara would have refused help, but something in his urgency was catching. She was being to grow perplexed: the storm was near, but there was something else bothering him.

?What?s the rush?? she asked as he turned to assist her again. Her feet kept getting tangled in the skirts that had seemed so comfortable not long ago ? they definitely weren?t suited to hiking.

?Tuskens,? Luke said tersely as he leaned awkwardly to reach for her hand. ?They?re common in this area, and I?ve got a bad?? A shape rose behind him. Mara felt her eyes widen; her hand reflexively ducked toward the blaster at her belt. Unfortunately, it was the hand Luke had been reaching for. He almost overbalanced, half-twisting to face the Tusken behind him?then the staff in Tusken?s raised fist crashed across his head and he fell back onto Mara.

Luke wasn?t a particularly heavy man, but his full weight wasn?t trifling either ? especially when Mara was unprepared for it. She stumbled on the uneven ground, slipping awkwardly enough that her ankle twinged. She dropped the blaster trying to brace Luke, failed that, and ended slipping on the loose rocks. Luke, apparently, was unconscious. Stars, that staff had come down hard. Was he all right?

Bandaged hands jerked Luke?s weight off her; some kind of dirty fabric was thrust over her head like a hood, her hands were bound, and she was jerked onto her feet. The Tuskens moved fast. She couldn?t see, the ground was unreliable, and ? where was Luke? No, it was too risky to try anything. If only she hadn?t dropped the

6. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Are they going to end up where I think they are? o_O

Great update!

7. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I giggled at your comment on the many times Luke has been knocked unconscious, quite the impressive tally. Me thinks it's the only way bad guys could stand a chance against Luke for a while.:p

And what is a stay on Tatooine without seeing ALL the sights? They must visit everywhere tied with Skywalkers, and I mean would Mara want to miss a chance to kill Tusken raiders?

Very cute exchange between Luke and Mara and judge bias. :p

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, they've certainly gotten themselevs into a mess this time!

Loved their banter, though. :D

9. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Exciting chapter, K_A! Hurry up with the next post.;)

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Uh oh, they are in trouble now. Tuskens sure like to hit Luke on the head.

11. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Captured by Tuskens! Wasn't expecting that. :eek:

12. txgrl

txgrl Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2005
    Just found this story so I got a nice long read. Really looking forward to the rest! Good job with characterization and humor. Very well done.

13. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Tuskens, a sandstorm, captured oh my!

Short it may be, but sweet it certainly was :)

Nice

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh, no...this could be bad! But I have faith, they always manage to get away!

?I never saw you as a skirt person,? Luke observed randomly one afternoon.
    Can't say I've ever seen her as a skirt person either! :p

That was such a cute exchange between them!

Unconscious, yes, and he would probably have another concussion to add to that impressive tally when he woke ? hopefully not too serious a concussion. Mara was jointly anxious and exasperated. How did he always manage to get himself injured?
    [face_laugh] He does seem to do that frequently, doesn't he!

Excellent update!

I can't wait for the next part!

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That was short, but this was sweet. ?I never saw you as a skirt person,? Luke observed randomly one afternoon.

Mara turned to face him and struck a mock pose, her knee bent and a hand on her hip. She narrowed her eyes. ?So what do you think??

He smiled. ?Suits you.?

?Ah, but you would say that,? Mara observed sagely. ?Evidence of bias in the judge, I think.?

?The judge is very biased,? Luke agreed, crossing to slip his hands around her waist. ?The competition doesn?t stand a chance.?

?There?s competition?? Mara purred, lifting her eyebrows.

Luke only raised an eyebrow in return. ?You won by light years, obviously.?

?Obviously,? Mara echoed. He smiled. Mara allowed a smile of her own to soften her lips; and, tugging him closer, she claimed her prize. [face_love] Captured by Tuskens? [face_worried] [face_worried] Who's going to get them outa this one? An evil cliff, indeed. ;)

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Mara was pushed and half-dragged when she stumbled. She tried cursing at them, but she was either ignored or shoved even harder. Not really worth the effort, then; Mara gave up that endeavour. Reaching out into the Force, she was relieved to find Luke was all right. Unconscious, yes, and he would probably have another concussion to add to that impressive tally when he woke ? hopefully not too serious a concussion. Mara was jointly anxious and exasperated. How did he always manage to get himself injured?

Didn't see this one coming. All this from a woman who's in the process of a forcible abduction? Even when she's being dragged off, hooded and bound, by Tuskens, she's worrying about him.

You're right: this IS an odd kind of honeymoon. Good stuff!=D=

17. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Oh my...how have I lost track of this? [face_worried] So sorry for seeming like a lurker, when in fact, my timing has just been off.

I continue to love your writing style. Descriptive images, insights into L/M, brilliant characterizations, all-around great work. =D= I loved the 1st Sandstorm and to come on in at this latest cliffy. Yes, my timing can use some tweaking.

I always enjoy your stories, K_A.

P.S. - If there is a PM list, could I be added? [face_batting]

18. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999

I absolutely loved the scene in Jabba's Palace! Can't even begin to quote my favorite parts, but the imagery and characterization were just breathtaking. =D=

And now they're captured by Tuskens? :eek: Don't ignite your lightsaber, Mara! Just in case one of them got away all those years ago to tell the tale of the blue blade.....[face_worried]

19. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    [face_laugh] Sometimes saying it straight out is the best way to go. ;) :p

Hm, where are they going indeed. Was that old Raiders camp turned ode to sacrifice mentioned in AotC/TG in the vincinity of Anchorhead? I don't remember. [face_thinking]

*shakes head* We shall see soon enough what is in store. [face_worried]

20. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    And I thought it was bad when I had a sinus infection and my husband had the flu on our honeymoon....

[face_laugh]

Can't wait for more, as usual!

21. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    uh oh. how will they get out of this one? I look forward to seeing our intrepid heroes in action.

22. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    RedGold: Weeell, that would depend on where you?re thinking they?ll be. ;) You?ll find out very soon.

SpiritofEowyn: That?s a good point... an unconscious Luke is far less of a threat, I suppose. Could well explain all the concussions. :p

JadeLotus: I hate writing banter - I?m always certain it sounds woeful. :p So thanks for the comment. [:D]

StarFighter5: I?m trying to hurry the posts up, it?s just? not working. 8-} Sorry about the delay. Hope it?s worth the wait. :)

RebelMom: LOL, they do indeed. Maybe it passes for recreation for them. Not a whole lot to do on Tatooine? :p

Jedi-2B: Well, it?s always fun to surprise someone? ;)

txgrl: Welcome to the story. :D Thanks very much for the feedback. Hope you enjoy the next post as well. :)

jade51999: LOL, thank you very much. :D

mavjade: No, Mara just doesn?t come across as a skirt person on first encounter. I?m sure she?d pull the look off marvellously though. ;) Thanks, and the next part will be up shortly!

jade_eyes: Ah, cliffies are wonderful. For the author, at least. ;) Glad you liked it. :)

divapilot: Not your average honeymoon by any measure, no? :p Thanks for the feedback!

MirandaFair: Thank you! And don?t worry, I know how easy it is to slip on replies to a story. You mean to, and then time just slips away? And thank you, it?s great to have you reading. [:D]

Jedi Trace: Hold that thought? [face_batting] Glad you liked the Palace section. :D

Bri_Windstar: We certainly shall. ;)

ginchy: A sinus infection and the flu don?t sound like ideal accompaniments to a honeymoon, no? :eek: And more is coming! :)

GirlJedi: It?s coming very shortly. :D

23. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    And here's a nice loong post for you all...

Luke woke slowly ? not a promising sign ? stirring as the Tuskens grunted and snorted somewhere close by. The storm had passed quickly, and the Tuskens had dragged Mara and Luke down somewhere further. Mara guessed they?d returned to the landspeeder, and that the Tuskens were amusing themselves ransacking their supplies.

She felt Luke move first, and then groan. She held her breath, but the Tuskens didn?t seem to halt what they were doing, if the continued noise was anything to go by.

?Luke?? she hissed. ?Are you awake?? [i]Damn[/i] this hood?

?Mrrgh,? he replied, or something like it. His sense felt hazy.

?Luke,? Mara said again. ?Are you all right??

?Ugh? oh. My head.?

He didn?t sound too good. Mara had almost had it before he?d woken? She tucked her chin under the edge of the hood again and bent her head forward, twisting her neck. The dark fabric slipped forward. Her hair tumbled over her head, tangled and sweaty.

At least the filthy hood was off at last. She shook her head and blinked at the sudden light. She sat against the foot of the rocky bluff; Luke was just sitting up, his hands bound behind him as hers were, but hoodless. He looked pale around the mouth.

?Luke?? Mara said again.

?I?ve been better,? he muttered. ?But I?ve been much worse.?

Mara frowned. If she had a hand free, she would have touched his shoulder. He looked distinctly unwell. She twisted to glance behind her, where the Tusken Raiders were indeed ransacking their speeder. ?Oh, wonderful.?

When she turned back, Luke was staring at her. There was an oddness in his eyes that froze her for a moment: something hard and hot and cold at once. ?You?re bleeding,? he said, his tone strangely blank. ?They hurt you.?

His eyes were on her forehead. The Tuskens had been less than gentle ? it was possible she?d sustained a graze there, to go with bruises elsewhere. Nothing too serious, however, and she never liked that look on his face. ?Luke,? she said warningly.

?They hurt you,? he said again, and his eyes went beyond her to the Tuskens. Something in his gaze flared, and he made as if to rise. Mara was faster, coming to her knees.

?I?m [i]fine[/i],? she said as sharply as possible. ?Don?t be an idiot.?

He stared at her, blinked, and looked to the side. After a moment, he looked up, more subdued. ?Are you sure?? He ran his gaze over her carefully, checking despite whatever she might say.

?Positive.? Mara?s voice came out a little shortly. What did he think she was doing, hiding a severed limb? ?Are we going to get out of here??

He blinked again. ?Ah ? yes.? His muscles strained as he tested the rope binding his arms behind him, but his was apparently as strong as hers. ?All right.? He shifted, turning his back to her so she could see the rope. ?You?ll have to do this.?

?Luke?? If he was thinking of turning this into some kind of Force lesson ?

?Mara,? he said, and wonders above, he sounded annoyed. ?I can?t do it. I can?t see how it?s tied. And concentrating isn?t easy at the moment. Can you please just untie me??

?All right ? you just had to say.? Mara eyed the ropes dubiously. Fine manipulation was still far from her best area in the Force?

?Concentrate,? Luke said quietly. ?You can do this. I know you can, Mara.?

Somehow he made the words resound with confidence. She?d seen students of his bloom under that tone, and she had to admit it did offer a solid boost, primarily because not one iota of that belief was feigned. Mara glanced up at the Tuskens again ? ?Don?t worry about them,? Luke muttered. ?They?re not the least bit interested in us at the moment. Just concentrate,? ? then she reached out with a tendril of the Force, weaving into the complex binding of the ropes. It took three attempts, but she had the rope off shortly.

?Well done,? Luke said. He rubbed his wrists and turned his head, then said, ?Uh oh.?

Mara twisted. The Tuskens had had left their rummaging, advancing around the landspeeder with staffs in hand. They move

24. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_dancing] Nice long post to come home to!

I like the subtle influences in this story - Mara's difficulty with manipulating small objects with the Force for example. It really gives a clear picture as to where Luke and Mara are in their lives and with each other.

And Luke explaining his feelings about having children- that whole section is wonderful. I can understand his, for lack of a better word, flip-flopping on the issue, seeing as all the changes he had gone through in his life. All of his motivation and feelings really rang true.

=D= =D=

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    This just keeps getting better all the time! :) I absolutely loved Luke & Mara's conversation about having children. Luke's emotions were so complicated. He is lucky to have Mara he can share them with--she's so sharp and their Force bond also helps her untangle the maze. :D I was touched by her worry over his injury/ concussion. He's the only one who can affect her so--frighten her to death, because he is totally necessary to her well-being. That level of vulnerability in Mara is priceless. [face_love] I too agree that they'll be fine, more than fine. :* [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.