main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off-Topic: Living in London

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Darth_En_Ghedi, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_En_Ghedi

Darth_En_Ghedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Hello Dear FanForcers.

Here my story.
    I am trying to leave my country in search for better life conditions, as this land I step on is both overloaded with (let's say it nicely) lack of opportunities and the income don't pay the cost of life.
    Being in London for the CE I ended up reinforcing my beliefs that England would be the best place to start over.
    I know a few Portuguese immigrants who live well in London, especially and I honestly wish I can do something of my life. And since language or culture (maybe food) is not an obstacle, I have decided to take the chance.

The truth is, I am totally blank when it concern the London lifestyle and economics.
    I work in the particular field of Television Production (well recently I ended up in Aviation with Simulation for pilot training, computer stuff). I don't think I can actually work in Television in the UK but I have no illusions. I can start from scratch.
    My girlfriend is a talented illustrator and works around design.

What I wanted from you guys is your insight.
    How's the lifestyle?
    How are the average wages in London?
    How are the house rents?
    How are the car prices?

I already read several articles about immigration and the benefits of being an EU citizen and not needing a visa or work permit, but I do need work.

If you can help me on this, both me and girlfriend will appreciate your help and be sure we have been farther from going there, than now.

Thank you for your help.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I am pretty sure you are OK in coming here since you (and I assume your girlfriend) are EU citizens. However, you can check any immigration information here on the UK Government immigration website.

I don't live right in Central London. I am in 'Greater London' - out near Heathrow Airport. However I do know house and flat prices for buyers are very high in London. I'm not sure on rentals but I know in my area they can be high as well. If you do end up living in Central London I'd pass on getting a car right away as parking can be a nightmare. If you wanted a car to tour around the UK I'd go with a rental. There are areas of the UK where the public transport is bad but most of those are rural. London is pretty good for trains/Tube service. It can be crowded but it is usually pretty reliable.

As far as jobs and salaries go, you can get an idea of what is around and post your CVs by checking on Monster UK.

3. Darth_En_Ghedi

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks for the insight.

I'll take a look at your links.

Are there any fanforcers who immigrated to UK?

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Dunno if she counts as a proper immigrant (she's only here for a year), but Mar17swgirl is Slovak and is living and working in London at the moment, so she'd be the best one to ask, I think.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I actually am an immigrant (US citizen) and I came here in 1989. My employers at the time handled all the paperwork for my work permit (using a solicitor) and I now have indefinite leave to remain. Your way in should be easier than mine since you are EU citizens. I ended up living in the town I'm in since it was close to the office at the time (and I found and bought a flat that I liked).

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    There's no such thing as an off-topic thread in this place :D

I'd like to offer some help with your questions too:

How's the lifestyle?
    Very good I would say. London does have a great vibe and atmosphere, and some lovely attractions and areas. Plenty of culture and very diversified. The down side is it's very busy and expensive.

How are the average wages in London?
    That really depends on the industry you work in. You have basic retail jobs which will earn you around £5.50 p/hour or office based work which will earn you anything from £12,000-17,000 per annum. For more skilled jobs, junior positions will earn you £14,000 - 18,000 and senior levels £18,000-25,000+
    Like most places though, the design/illustration/TV industry is very competitve so unless you're very lucky and/or well connected, I wouldn't rely on that being your bread winner.

How are the house rents?
    Again it depends where you go, but generally it's expensive. You may get a nice flat for around £600 per month, but then you have bills and council tax on top of that too. Property to buy is also very expensive.

How are the car prices?
    Running theme here, but UK car prices are the most expensive in Europe. No one knows why that is, but the price difference for the same car can be thousdands. And you also have car tax to pay and the London congestion charge.

So basically moving to London is expensive but there are some good opportunites available if you take the plunge and have a bit of luck on your side. As for lifestyle, it's a very good place to live if you don't mind getting wet a bit more then you may be used to, lol.

7. Darth_En_Ghedi

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks for the insight, you all.

Well I am very decided to go there. But I must get a proper job before that. I am trying to contact some companies (even BBC go figure) to understand the job opportunities.

At the worst case scenario I can always stay at some cheap hotel while I seek a flat or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.