main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Offical Computer Help Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What's everyone's thoughts on touchscreen computers? I have one.

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Remove it and quit feeding the google cash cow with your data.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm going to install it now.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Is it currently only available for certain PCs? My Samsung Windows 8 PC was only able to find a few security updates but no OS update.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Given that it just came out today, it's probably not totally widespread yet.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Make sure to check if your PC hardware is compatible first. I assume you're running 8.1, but if not (which would be insane), you'll have to upgrade before getting the free 10 update.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    A few months back Windows 8.1 automatically installed a few updates out of order and caused my PC to malfunction. I had to restore factory settings, which was difficult as it required a hot key trigger at the correct time since the PC wouldn't boot up to Windows. After several attempts I finally succeeded and reverted the PC back to Windows 8.

Since then I disabled automatic updates and didn't bother with any Microsoft updates since I generally only use the PC for class.

Anyway, I'm currently installing all the absent Windows 8 updates but I keep getting an error message when I try to install Windows 8.1.

9. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Kudos to those brave enough to be Microsoft guinea pigs. I won't install it on anything but a test machine until six months at least has gone by. Let you guys find the bugs :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay I know this is old post, but dude, that KILLS the OS. Reboot at least once a week. Just turn off auto updates. I can not begin to tell you the problems that will eventually cause. Some RAM you use willl only be released on a reboot.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's fine. It's been in public beta since October.

Uh... it's because you haven't updated. You'll have to run Windows Update over and over until it lets you upgrade to 8.1. That will take a while.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've since moved to an SSD and don't hibernate anymore -- I had a sluggish HDD at a time.

And now I'm on Windows 10, it took like 30 minutes to install. Nice and painless. And much better than 8.1 (though 8.1 wasn't too terrible with Classic Shell).

13. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    That doesn't mean anything. I've been through this rodeo with Windows 7, you don't actually think that Microsoft test ALL the programs out there for compatibility do you? Of course I'm looking at this more through a business sense, since our company runs several programs they paid to have written just for their use. We would never install a new OS off the shelf. My last boss did that with Windows 7 then took my head off because one of the software vendors we used didn't update their plugins until several months after release.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, no, I'm not suggesting that businesses with proprietary software should install a new operating system on release day. Silly me for thinking you were talking about computers for personal use. Like, my most-used programs at home are Chrome, Pidgin, and Steam.

15. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    I admitted I was looking at it through a business sense, but that's my job. However even my colleague who's been working in computers 45+ years would not recommend updating a personal pc on release day. But like I said go right ahead. Can't be worse than Windows 8.

16. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Oh cool, I was looking into getting my gaming laptop an SSD. We've had great results with them at work.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It is definitely risky and not advisable to upgrade on release day. There will always be bugs.

But I did it anyway because SHINY. Mostly because I am sick and tired of IE but I like IE, so I'm excited about Edge.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Which is strange since CNET and other sites say that the update is available for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 devices.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I want to be excited about Edge, but I'm so accustomed to Chrome that it's difficult for me to generate much interest in the PC version. However, as soon as the Windows 10 update becomes available for my Windows Phone, you can bet I'll jump right into Edge. The mobile version of IE has been pretty great to me over the past few years, so I'm excited to see its superior replacement firsthand.

20. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    No matter what OS, 7 or 8 you have to be running their newest service pack/update for that OS to update to 10, i.e. 7 pro needs service pack 1, etc

21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'm waiting to update. A new OS is never truly a bad thing, but I give it a couple of months to let the big bugs get discovered and patched before I even consider upgrading.

Looks nice from what I have seen of it though.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm reconverting back to Mac soon. This PC sucks.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd say a bigger concern than the bugs are going to be the traditional gaping Windows security exploits. In about a year or two I suspect Windows 10 will be pretty cool though.

You should wait until El Capitan drops or you risk having to wrangle with Yosemite, which is a fool's errand.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Look, I'm just happy moving to a browser that doesn't use ActiveX or Adobe plugins. Talk about your gaping security exploits. :p

The Cortana digital assistant is pretty impressive. It's tightly integrated into the OS, so it's a lot more than the "ask google" that Siri tends to be. You can do things like "open event viewer" or "close task" and or "shuffle music" and "play Krataia Asterope" or "play Zadok the priest." The last bit is kind of impressive, it'll figure out what music you want playing even if the words are gibberish based on what's in your library and play it accordingly. It's the first time I've thought a digital assistant could be useful, in truly enabling multitasking.

Still has a way to go as any of these things do, but still.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I've been using Cortana on mobile for a while now and I agree that Microsoft did a fantastic job with her. Even her dialogue is entertaining.