main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Offical Computer Help Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Okay, I'm in need of suggestions. Since yesterday I've been installing every update for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. My PC now has a completely updated Windows 8.1, but I still don't see the "Get Windows 10" icon on my task bar. I've searched for new updates in case I missed anything and switched my settings to Automatically Install Updates...and nothing.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks!

edit:

The page mentions that the linked Windows 10 Tool requires a product key. I don't believe I have my PC's original packaging anymore. Is there another way to locate my product key?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    When I used the media creation tool, it automatically used my key.

But there should be a sticker on your computer with the key, in any event. And if not, you should be able to get it from your system properties.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't think you actually need the product key if you're doing an upgrade from 8. When you run the program you'll just choose to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm not 100% sure though....try it out and see what happens.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Here goes! *fingers crossed*

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

So I ran the tool. Installed and so forth. It was running in the background while I was browsing through the JCC...and then the tool window vanished completely with no message. I restarted the PC and...nothing. I'm re-running the tool now.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    While you are all excited about windows 10, I've just gotten a new computer with windows 8, and I don't feel confident enough to start with installing 10. Anyway since this is a chance for a new start I was wondering which browser is recommended nowadays? Out of old habit I've been using Firefox, and hated IE for the last 13 years or so, but I'm using chrome on my phone and I'm willing to try something new.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm a big fan of WebKit-based browsers so I primarily use Chrome since it's the "easy" one, though Midori is pretty cool, and I like xombrero's ability to switch to keyboard only mode so you can feel like you're HACKING THE DATABASE.

[​IMG]

Which, I think you'll agree, ought to be the primary goal of any computer application.

10. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I either use Firefox or Waterfox which is their 64bit version. I.E. is just too unpredictable, among other things though there are some sites that will only operate correctly in that browser.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've been using Firefox for years, mainly due to the ad-blockers available for it. And I can't stand IE. I'm on Win 7.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I use Pale Moon. It's nice, customizable, comes in 32 and 64 bit flavors, is updated regularly, and hasn't given me any grief since I started using it.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll be making my W10 update tomorrow evening. [face_nail_biting]

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The touch function on my touchscreen PC no longer works. :mad:

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I just downloaded Windows 10, and with some personalizing and tweaking, everything is working fine for me.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Some good Windows tips. We're on Windows 8 here at work, so I cannot implement the suggestions.

I can, however, point folks in the right direction with Mac and iOS help though. (Looks like (cr)Apple's awful Yosemite OS is killing my aging iMac. :mad: I am still glad to have had a productive Mac for these past 5 years, but ever since I made the mistake of upgrading to Mavericks, I've had constant trouble. This week has been ridiculous.)

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Okay, the Get Windows 10 button still hasn't shown up for me despite my Windows 8 machine being fully updated. I tried the media tool linked above but am at a loss. The tool downloads and installs, but then nothing happens. What gives?

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It gives me the option of rescheduling which I do every day as I take a few minutes here and there to see what bugs and tweaks people are mentioning.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So I did upgrade to win 10, and for me coming from win 7 it feels a lot more familiar and comfortable. I still can't decide on which browswer I should use for a standard though.

Edge - fastest, but I don't really like that everything is tied to bing and MSN
    Chrome - fast and easy connection with all my google stuff on all my devices
    Firefox - slower, but I like the adblock and search features on it.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I detest bing but use Edge. If you go to the Google home page, then change your advanced settings, it'll let you add Google to your search provider and make it the default.

It's a little annoying that it's buried in the options and that you have to be on the Google page to get the option, but it IS there. It'll make Google your default address bar and home page search.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Been working with Microsoft tech support for several hours today to solve my update problems and gave them remote access to my PC. After the second reboot, remote access failed to reconnect and the tech support rep hasn't bothered to call back. So now I have to wait for another 60+ minutes until I'm next in line for support again.

And all the original rep did was check to make sure that my copy of Windows was valid. [face_plain]

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    After three phone calls to tech support and giving them remote access to my PC during each of those three times, I finally now have Windows 10 on my PC!

First impressions:

• So the Windows 8 Live Tiles are now hidden in the returned Start menu? Okay, I can live with that...though I was finally getting used to the Live Tile/Metro interface
    • Cortana seems to be 100% identical to her Windows Phone 8 counterpart, which is a great thing, imo. Cortana is the best virtual assistant I've ever had the pleasure to interact with. However, while I use her mobile version daily, I don't quite know if a PC Cortana will see general use or just entertainment use.
      • PC Cortana has syched with my Windows account and thereby now has access to almost all the personal information remembered by my Phone Cortana. I was hoping that the Cortana interaction would be seamless between Windows devices, so I'm quite happy with this. However, daily reminders and notes cannot be synched between PC Cortana and Windows Phone 8 Cortana. A small disappointment, but my phone qualifies for an eventual update anyway.
    • Edge browser appears to be faster than Chrome and brings with it Windows Phone 8's Internet Explorer Read Me View
      • While I've never been a fan of the PC version of Internet Explorer, Windows Phone 8's version of IE is far superior to its PC counterpart, so it's a good thing that Microsoft essentially imported the mobile version of its Windows 8 browser into Windows 10. The Read Me View alone, imo, gives Edge (and IE mobile) an edge (lol) over its browser rivals.
      • Started up Chrome for comparison and the Windows 10 startup page for Chrome claims that Chrome is still the best browser available. We'll see. We'll see.
    So far, I'm quite happy with the update. It was a rough road to get here, but I'm satisfied that I'm finally here now. Though my AMD video card seems to have suffered during the journey. Will have to look into that.

25. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    So I'm having problems playing videos on youtube, vimeo and other such sites. The videos sound like they are all being filtered through a fan and coming out garbled and choppy.

I use Firefox and today updated the adobe flash player. Shockwave Flash 18.0
    I'm on Windows XP.

Any help here would be hot.