main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Offical Computer Help Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's because of the precise manner of the encoding process - for example, ASCII looks at binary strings that are eight characters long (E.g. "a" is 97 is 1100001). Consequently, when the computer sees that exact string, it returns the character corresponding to it. In the case of your example, it doesn't return 65 because "65" is two characters, keyed to 0110110 0110101, whereas "A" is 1000001.

Ghost likes this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The admin account on my old PC doesn't seem to be able to read anything off the dvd/cd-rom drive, despite the drivers being present and telling me the device is working fine - it just acts like any disc I stick in it is blank. I used to be able to use the drive on this account, but I can remember what happened to change that, or when it happened. My normal account reads the dvd-drive just fine, though.

Drivers seem fine, dvd-drive use is enabled... any ideas?

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i used norton on monday. i've been using chrome and IE . after using norton my computer seemed to be running faster on chrome, but then i found IE wouldn't open some pages, they'd just come up blank, and other pages pictures wouldn't show. On top of that yahoo messenger didn't work right either. i removed norton and reinstalled IE and yahoo IM countless times, reset settings and nothing works. anyone ever have something like this happen?

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Hey, I've been thinking of starting a fan messageboard for a favorite author. (Not a JCC splinter board, however cutting edge the animated gifs might be). :p Unfortunately I know nothing about this process. I have good reading comprehension skills and can point and click. If that's all that's required, I'm golden. If I have to program anything, I'm doomed.

I was thinking about using one of the cheaper for-a-fee hosting services, since in my experience free generally = crap.

Any advice/recommendations/pronouncements of doom?

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just use a free board like proboards, maybe buy a domain name to point to it, and consider a paid subscription to the board provider to eliminate adverts.

Admiral Volshe and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    OK, I am so completely confused by my laptop right now.

I got the error that my drivers were out of date whilst trying to launch the Battlefront beta.
    So I updated my drivers. It kept acting oddly, but after the third install attempt it worked just fine. So I went to play and it told me that only #2 was updated to the proper version (10.18.14.4264), and that #1 was not. I was a little boggled by the #1 and #2, but I thought, no big deal, I'll just install manually. So I attempt to do that, and it tells me I don't meet the necessary requirements. So I tried to restart, launch the beta again. Same problem. I then went to the device manager to double check all of this. The only Intel driver that is coming up claims it is 10.18.14.4264. So I went to NVIDIA, but it claims my drivers are up to date.

I have NVIDIA GeForce 745M (10.18.13.5362) and Intel Graphics 4600 (10.18.14.4264). Do I need to manually update the NVIDIA drivers?
    I have played a lot of new games and new betas with absolutely no problem. I'd hate to think I can't fix this.

EDIT: Never mind, it is indeed NVIDIA. Manually updating. *sigh*

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Nvidia.txt right here.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Being in the hospital, I'm currently on WiFi that has restricted access to most online fun stuff. Games (especially Battlefront and Steam games), most sites I frequent, etc. Of course, nowhere in the ToS does it say I cannot bypass the restrictions, just that I cannot use the internet for illegal purposes. So....my question is fairly simple: how do I bypass these restrictions, so I have something to do other than TF.N and an imageless, lacklustre version of reddit?

I was trying someone's recommendation to set up a VPN, but that has failed miserably as I have only a vague idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. If there's an easy guide to that, I'm okay with that. I just would love some suggestions.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Why are you fiddling with the internet when you could be screaming at a nurse to get you morphine?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  10. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    i personally like DigitalOcean. Been using their service for a couple of years, but requires some linux knowledge however to get a site going. Hostgator has Cpanel which makes it easier to setup a site (I think they might offer phpbb via cpanel ?), but the technical support is a bit of a hit or miss. Can't say much about godaddy, but supposedly, they have Cpanel there as well.

Someone above mentioned proboards which might be the way to go.

11. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I've used AirVPN from time to time . It is unfortunately not free however. The instructions to setup the client for AirVPN wasn't too difficult, although I admit that I have had some familiarity with the OpenVPN client software previously. It looks like AirVPN packages their own client as well, which may be a bit easier to setup.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Does anyone use Cyberghost or Tunnelbear?

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  14. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I now have a window popping up prompting me to download and upgrade to Windows 10, but when I hit download and install, the window just minimizes and nothing happens.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Classic Windows.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

My Windows 8 PC gave me some problems with initiating the update as well. I think I discussed a resolution earlier in this thread. I don't particularly remember what I had to do. I think you can go the website and download the installation program manually or something. I really don't remember. It was kind of time-consuming, iirc, but I have Windows 10 and I like it so far.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So my smartphone is about 4 years old now. I still love it, but it's been acting glitchy. I keep getting notices about how I need to free up storage space.

I've already removed unnecessary apps. The only thing left are pictures and videos of the kids over the past four years. Everything is backed up on the cloud, but I'm still reluctant to get rid of them. However, do you guys believe that removing these items will indeed make my phone run smoother?

It's a Nokia Lumia 925.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I recently built a new PC, a mid-range gaming type. But I've had problems still I installed windows on it.

Constant bluescreens, most citing Memory Management as the issue. I have run Memtest 86 & windows' own memory test & both said there is no issue with the RAM.
    The BSOD usually happens when I am gaming so I assumed it was a driver issue.

I have twice reinstalled windows on to it, but it keeps happening.
    Not sure what else to do.

19. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    What version of windows? Is it updated?
    What are hardware specs?

20. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I know nada about smart phones except that they operate like small computers, so on that thought if a pc starts complaining about running out of storage, it also starts acting "glitchy". I would definitely try cleaning off the old data especially since you have it backed up.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  21. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    It could be lots of things there. I've had problems like that on newly built machines caused by everything from the power supply(not enough watts or a bad one) to mismatched or bad ram to the motherboard being grounded because a screw was too tight. With that situation you have to just start trying things.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm sure I've got hardware that is compatible, the PC recognises everything & it works fine most of the time.
    It's just frustrating if gaming causes it to break down, given that's what it was built for.

I don't know what else to try. Maybe going to Windows 7 or 8 instead of 10 will work

23. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Yeah, I wasn't saying your hardware wasn't compatible so much as possibly faulty. We used to build ALL the pc's for our company before it got cheaper to buy them put together and I can't tell you how many times a motherboard or ram or some other part was bad out of the box. Happened a lot. On the power supply, my only question there is if it is built for gaming I'm assuming you have a kick butt graphics card and those usually up the wattage you need in a power supply depending on how powerful it is in addition to what the other hardware requires. We had that happen once when someone got an upgraded graphics card and the current power supply couldn't handle it. Have you tested how hot the pc is running when it blue screens? Could it be overheating? There are widgets you can download that will show current pc temp though you would have to have it showing while you game. Depending on your graphics card I might actually focus my attention there over ram.Ram is usually bad or it isn't and Microsoft errors are rarely accurate.

As a last resort the windows 7 is a good idea too if you have a copy. The drivers for 10 might not have quite caught up yet on patches for any glitches.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I did think it may be overheating. I have 3 120mm fans in it though so it shouldn't.

I'll test the power consumption, and if it still fails after a Windows change I may have to get it looked at.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So I'm considering purchasing a tablet for note-taking purposes, as carrying my laptop and medical textbooks around campus is pretty impractical (the latter are massive, after all). Ideally I'd like a Surface, but it's beyond my budget--and it's main appeal is the assured connectivity to a keyboard.

I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy E Tab Lite, as it seems pretty affordable for a well-rounded tablet. My concern however, is that I've received mixed information as to whether or not it'll pair with a keyboard and mouse. There are Youtube videos that suggest that it can pair to these devices via USB OTG, but I'm not at all familiar with this.

What's the difference between USB OTG and a regular USB mouse that you connect to your laptop via the USB insert?