main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards Official 2007 Before FFA Excerpts Thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Before_Awards_Sock, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before_Awards_Sock

Before_Awards_Sock Before Sock for FanFic Awards star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 30, 2004
    Welcome to the 2007 Saga SFFA Excerpt thread!

The following posts are filled with bits and pieces of what you all have decided to be the cream of the crop Saga has offered since December. You'll note at the bottom of some of the posts "TBC", this means that there are more excerpts from this category in the post below. Place markers are at the top of each post. They are color-coded with a rotating set of headers; thus, you can remember that the last category you read was black and yellow in color and when you scroll down through the page it will be easy to catch.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the excerpts!

And in case you forgot who is qualified:

Genre

Best Alternate Universe
    The Truth Shall Set you Free by Jedidas3
    My Dreams Could Be Tomorrow by Force_Triad (Layren and Neon_Star)
    Love Me Two Times by BrentusofGath
    Often Grows the Wolf by sabarte
    The Other by Princess_Arulmozhi

Best Canon
    Of Secrets and Padawans by dianethx
    The Wise by 1Yodimus_Prime
    Scorch by Charmisjess
    The Living Gift by VaderLVR64

Best Action
    The Heart of the Jedi by ardavenport
    Holding the Line by Darth_Garak
    The Wise 1Yodimus_Prime
    Atlas Astray by Art_of_War
    The Game of Death by Glenstorm

Best Drama
    Child of Mandalore - The Story of a Mandalorian Warrior by VaderLVR64
    The X-Files: Conspiracy Theory by BrentusofGath
    The Living Gift by VaderLVR64
    The Truth Shall Set you Free by Jedidas3
    Ice by JediNemesis
    Whispers by Nienna_Narmolanya
    Recognition by Exeter

Best Romance
    The Slumbering Princess by Elana
    A Place to Call My Own by VaderLVR64
    Tryst by Charmisjess
    The Witch's Tree by azizah

Best Humor
    A Qui-Gon On Your Couch by ardavenport
    [link=http://bo

2. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Genre

Best Alternate Universe

"What can we do for a Mandalorian?" Tak asked as the blue image of Canderous flickered before them. His stance took on a superior appearance to Aria as she glanced from the incoming image to him.

"I'm looking for someone," Canderous replied. "I suspect you're on her scent. I want in on the kill."

"And who might this person be?" Tak remained coy.

"The Mandalorians who held you captive, with the Sith man, they work for a certain Sith Master," Canderous explained. "I'll help you get to the bottom of the disappearing Jedi, in exchange for bringing me along."

Tak squinted at the image for an uncomfortable moment, then shifted his weight to his right leg and balled up a fist and palmed it with the other. "Just how, and what, do you know about missing Jedi?"

"I know that Taris is the center of activity," Canderous replied, quickly growing tired of this endless talk. "To get any more, you'll be bringing me aboard right about now."

~*~*~*~

"Maybe Destrius is the staging point for an invasion?" Jalak interjected.

"It's too remote," Tak replied, rubbing his jaw. "I have suspicions as to whether they're really shipping food. T1, see if you can access information on where Taris is getting its food supplies from."

As the droid began his duty, a voice startled the three Jedi.

"Statement: I believe I can provide such pertinent information, Jedi meatbag."

Tak whirled and had his saber clicked on in an instant. "Who are you and how did you get here?"

"Answer: I am HK-47, a Systech Corporation construct. Clarification: As to how I came to be here, it is not that difficult to gain access to such a crude vessel when one has the servo rotator tools and the proper level of skill that I possess."

Jalak stood and reached for his own lightsaber. "Well you picked the wrong ship to stow away on, Chief."

"No, that won't be necessary," Tak admonished. "So, tell us, Mr. 47, or may I call you HK?" HK-47 didn't get the joke. "What information do you have?"

"Exclamation: Oh, it's not that easy, Jedi. I require something in return for the information. If you provide transport for this unit, I will tell you what I know."

Just then, T1 bleeped in frustration at its failure to get to the answers Tak wanted.

"Statement: It does not appear that your astromech was able to gain access," HK said in a mock sad voice. "Query: Does my deal interest you, Jedi meatbag?"

"Where are you going?" Tak asked.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/26631371/p1/?186]The Truth Shall Set you Free[/link] by Jedidas3

?I remember it so clearly. He looked at both of us but it was like he wasn?t seeing us. We could barely hear him when he spoke. He told us that he was in hell.? Garen paused as he organized his thoughts and to allow the Jedi master to digest what he had just told him. ?We asked him what he meant and he excused himself from the table and headed back to his quarters.?

?Did you follow him?? Qui-Gon asked.

?Yes we did. We caught him before he was about to enter his quarters and asked him again what he meant back in the dining hall.?

?Did he answer you this time??

Garen recalled the haunted look in Obi-Wan?s eyes as he faced his two friends. ?He told us that we shouldn?t worry about him and he was wrong to say what he did. He tried to brush it off as to having a bad day, but we knew better. We kept on asking him what he meant by saying he was in hell. Obi finally looked both of us in the eye and told us that we needed to mind our own business and to go back to our perfect Masters and forget about him.?

?Well that certainly would give indication that not all was well between Padawan Kenobi and Master Elad,? Qui-Gon concluded. ?What happened then??

?He just turned around and went in his quarters. Afte

3. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Alternate Universe Continued

The Other by Princess_Arulmozhi

4. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Canon

Of Secrets and Padawans by dianethx

Leaning forward, frowning and concerned, Mace said, "Then what is the problem? I thought the Melida/Daan affair had settled him down. He almost lost his place in the Order with that debacle." He stopped a moment, clearly evaluating what he had heard of Obi-Wan's actions in the last few months. "It would seem that he has been working hard to regain the trust of the Council and yours. What has changed?"

"I don't know. Lately, he's been coming back to quarters exhausted and, the last few nights, past curfew. When I asked him what the problem was, he said it was private. He wouldn't tell me anything else." Qui-Gon didn't even bother to keep the worry out of his voice.

Shrugging, Mace seemed almost relieved, as if he had expected far worse. "Sounds more like he's caught up in some kind of intrigue; perhaps a girl has been taking up his time. He's of the age."

Exasperated, Qui-Gon snapped back, "He's only fourteen, Mace. That kind of intrigue shouldn't come along for quite some time."

Mace looked at him as if he had lost his mind. "Why not? Xan was already intriguing with several Padawans by the time he was Obi-Wan's age. And getting into far worse trouble."

"Obi-Wan is not Xanatos." The deep growl of denial brooked no discussion.

Jabbing one finger in Qui-Gon's direction, his voice emphatic and very stern, Mace insisted, "Just as long as you remember that."

He tried to shake off the remembrance. But it would seem that knife-edge of guilt was still as sharp as the day Xan had turned on him, still cutting him in a way that blinded him to the realities of this moment. He had thought it was all behind him now that Xanatos was dead; he had thought that he had let it go, but apparently not.

Breathing out his doubt, Qui-Gon said distinctly, "I do remember that."

"I wonder sometimes." Mace sent him a sharp look, probably seeing all the signs of guilt and remorse that were surely mapped across Qui-Gon's face. But instead of acknowledging his sorrow, the Councilor just ignored it. His old friend knew him very well. "Obi-Wan may have had problems with his poor choices in the past, but they were always based on compassion and the need to help others. If nothing else, he is a little too enthusiastic. I could never say the same for Xan."

As Qui-Gon looked away, out into the soothing clamor of the diner's crowd, Mace just huffed regret. "He was my friend for a very long time but, in the end, he chose greed over the Jedi Order. And he had always longed for power, even as a child. It cost Xan everything. I can't see that happening with Obi-Wan."

Qui-Gon shook his head slowly, "Nor I."

"Yet Obi-Wan does have a tendency to fall headlong into rash decisions and, when confronted with the situation, he is rather stubborn about it - just like a certain Jedi Master I know." Mace stared at him, pointedly, as if daring him to disagree.

Qui-Gon could have argued but instead he shrugged at the accusation. Besides, it was useless when Mace was right anyway. Both he and Obi-Wan were stubborn, sometimes ill-advisedly so, and it had gotten them into disagreements with one another when a softer approach would have worked with far less discord. Again, it was his own fault. He was the master after all and should be the example, not the crux of the problem.

"I must admit, my friend, that sometimes I have misgivings." Shifting uncomfortably, he frowned down at the table and then straight into Mace's concerned eyes. "It is my flaw, I know. For some reason, I can't seem to strike the right balance with him. I'm either overly-strict or not... enough." Almost ashamed, he murmured, "He takes everything I say to heart."

Mace nodded thoughtfully, "It's very clear that he wants to please you. Almost too much so, in my opinion."

Much as he wanted to agree, he couldn't help but rush to Obi-Wan's defense. "Padawans are supposed to

5. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Action

Holding the Line by Darth_Garak

As the first lightning bolt lit the night sky, the rain began to fall on the already muddy ground and with a roar of anger and despair the Republic soldiers clambered over the lip of their trench in their red and black armor with yellow trimming and charged up the hill toward the waiting enemy. They ran in ankle deep mud, knowing that death was waiting for them and yet they knew their loved ones depended on them. As they charged up the hill, blaster fire erupted from the entrenched enemy, cutting through their ranks, maiming and killing indiscriminately. Corporal Cheng ducked as a blaster bolt grazed his helmet and he heard a gurgling scream from behind but he didn?t turn to look. Crawling through the mud, he fired wildly toward his enemy, hoping that his shots would kill at least one of the animals. He wanted them dead. Wanted it badly for it was his only reason to live. The animals had killed his family on Serreco and it seemed unfair to him that the Republic could do nothing to stop them. In front of him a few soldiers stopped, fired a few blasts and ,when return fire killed three of them, turned and ran.

Shouts followed them from the enemy position, calling after them "Run you cowards!" and "Suck on that, chum!".

Behind the T-shaped visor of his helmet, Sol grinned and pressed the trigger of his tripod mounted heavy repeater blaster. The weapon poured a continuous stream of bolts that mowed down soldier after soldier, sometimes cutting them in half and sometimes leaving gaping holes in them. On his right stood his Commander, Canderous of Clan Ordo. Canderous had a fatherly attitude toward young Sol and the warrior returned the feeling. When he was a slave, it was Canderous who thought that he might have the makings of a Mandalorian and who adopted him into the clan. The man had been a tough but fair taskmaster and soon the young slave boy could speak fluent Mandalorian and fight like one of the best. When Mand?alore had ordered the assembly of the clans, Canderous had not hesitated to take the 18 year old Sol with him. During the invasion of Onderon, while Sol followed Kelborn in taking the palace, Canderous was riding his basilisk against the Beast Riders. During that engagement Canderous had slain ten Beast Riders in single combat, thus keeping the Riders from harassing the ground forces.

Now the big man was standing with one foot on the lip of the trench, as if preparing to assault the Republic soldiers, holding his heavy assault rifle in two hands, a weapon overpowered for it?s size, and firing on the enemy, rain splashing against his T-shaped visor and the lightning making him stand out in his golden armor, with a red cape over one shoulder and a jet pack on his back, twin blaster pistols in their holsters hanging low on his hips, a dagger in each boot, a vibrosword slung across one shoulder, a wrist mounted flamethrower on his left and a wrist mounted blaster on his right. To Sol he looked like a god of war that had descended among his people.

Canderous aimed and fired at the officer who was trying to regroup his men and turned toward Sol.

"What do you think, stubborn or idiots?"

Sol laughed and responded ?Idiots.?

?Yeah. They don?t know when they?re beaten." Even as he said that, Canderous put two shots in a soldier, the first one punching him in the chest and the second one burning his face of. With a laugh Canderous took one of the grenades that was lying next to his feet and threw it. The plasma grenade instantly turned the battlefield into a living hell for those soldiers to close to it.

?Those who stand before us light the night sky in flame." said Canderous, his voice grim. Sol agreed with him and continued spraying the Rep hut?uune. He knew how brutal Canderous could be in a fight and he respected that in the man, he knew not to push his patience but apparently these Republic hut?uune didn?t know that. Canderous was ge

6. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Action Continued

The Game of Death by Glenstorm

Note: Taken from a scene where Obi-Wan is fighting for his life inside a gladiator pit. His opponent is a bit of an indestructible giant. (Naturally)

Obi-Wan leaped swinging out with his leg. His boot connected with the gladiator?s skull, spinning him round and dropping him to the floor. The crowd roared.

Obi-Wan landed, twisting to face the fresh attack that would surely be upon him.

But none came.

His opponent lay prone upon the floor, unmoving.

The man was unconscious.

Obi-Wan blinked, for a second unable to comprehend what had just happened. Then his swirling brain caught up and relief flooded him. Obi-Wan took a step towards his fallen enemy trying to control his ragged breathing.

He had done it.

Reaching the man?s side he stretched out a hand to touch the injured skull.

Which was when he found his wrist clamped in a vicelike grip.

?Gotcha, Jedi.?

Dark eyes snapped open, regarding Obi-Wan?s horrified face in black triumph.

?That was the dumbest move yer'll ever make.?

And with a mighty heave the uninjured gladiator swung to his feet, twisting Obi-Wan round like a puppet even as he brought his other arm up to choke the life out of the startled Jedi.

Obi-Wan?s mind blanched. He was trapped. He couldn?t escape the grip that was pressing down upon him. He was dead. He had lost. All because of a foolish mistake.

"Kralti! Kralti!" The crowd took up the chant once more.

Obi-Wan's mind raced, searching for a weapon, anything he could use to get away. Then survival instinct took over and Obi-Wan did the most uncivilised thing he had ever done in his whole life.

He bit down on the nearest meaty limb. Hard.

The gladiator howled as Obi-Wan tasted blood and the young Jedi found himself being flung across the pit. He hit the floor dazed but alive, cursing his stupidity.

On the other side of the room the giant stood nursing his bleeding arm. Then his gaze found his quarry and murder strobed inside those dark depths.

?Yer little--? He bellowed and charged, blood maddened and angry. In his haze of fury he made a blind swipe at Obi-Wan, who spun away from the clumsy strike.

The giant snarled and dived.

Once more the two bloodied warriors closed. The gladiator throwing every caution to the winds, thirsting now in his need to kill the Jedi.

Obi-Wan tried. Force knew he did. But no amount of speed and wily evasion could protect him from such an onslaught. Exhaustion began to pull at him, sucking away at his advantage. One arm hung nearly dead by his side from one lucky and particularly savage blow.

He had to do something. And fast.

Dodging yet another frenzied attack. Obi-Wan took a swing of his own, putting all his remaining strength behind his strike, catching the gladiator in the mouth. The lip split.

The seething warrior yelled in pain, but the move was an ultimate mistake.

Fury surged through the great body, lending speed to a savage kick. Obi-Wan did not have time to blink before the crushing blow caught him full in the side.

The hit flung him clean across the room. Obi-Wan felt his head and body impact with the wall and fire chewed up his side. His ribs were broken.

Unconsciousness swirled, trying to get him to succumb to its soothing depths. Down. Down.

Through his darkening senses Obi-Wan heard a distant bellow of triumph and the ground seemed to shake. Blinking he looked up to see, as if in slow motion, his blood-maddened enemy charging towards him like an enraged Reek, fully intent on smashing him flat against the wall.

Move! Something deep inside him demanded. Move, damn you

And without knowing what power provided him with the strength, Obi-Wan moved.

In the same instant there came a sickening crunch and a heavy thud.

Obi-Wan blinked stupidly at the crumpled figure of his enemy, now lying silently upon the ground be

7. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Drama

Child of Mandalore - The Story of a Mandalorian Warrior by VaderLVR64

?Ni kyr?tayl gai sa?ad,? Kyri and Ghee said in unison, looking at Pendar. I know your name as my child.

With those words, Pendar had a family again. He felt his new parents embrace him, and heard the approving, enthusiastic roar of those gathered to celebrate the occasion. Then the adults drew Ghee and Kyri away, giving Pendar a moment to absorb the magnitude of what had just happened.

Pendar could not help but smile as he watched Ghee ? his new father ? raise a glass of Tihaar in a loud toast. The boy looked over to see Kyri, his mother, surrounded by all of her friends, each reaching out to offer their own heartfelt congratulations. The proud smile on her face warmed Pendar?s heart, easing his guilt. He could see how happy she was, and what this had meant to her. He shared her feelings, though he could not help but remember those who had given him life.

He looked upward for a moment, to where he had been taught that the spirits of the dead found their rest. In the old ways of his first family, Pendar offered up a prayer for them. I won?t forget you, Mama and Papa, but this is my new life. Please understand and be happy for me. A sense of peace fell over him and somehow he sensed that his parents not only knew, but were pleased with his choice. He had their blessing, and it was enough.

He caught his mother?s eyes and Kyri smiled tenderly, perhaps recognizing both his joy and his sorrow on this night. Pendar nodded to let her know that all was well and she winked at him before turning back to her circle of friends. The happiness far outweighed the sadness.

?Welcome to the Mando.? Pendar turned to see Uldaas standing beside him.

?Thank you,? Pendar murmured, feeling almost shy. He felt different somehow, knowing that he now had an official and permanent place among them. They were his people now, and he was theirs.

Uldaas looked at Ghee and his own father, both of the men laughing at what was undoubtedly a bawdy joke told by one of the group. ?One day that will be you and me,? his friend observed.

Pendar looked at the men and grinned. ?Do you think our wives will carry us home, too?? He nudged his friend and they looked at the large amounts of spirits that would no doubt soon be consumed.

?Of course,? Uldaas replied. ?But then they?ll wake us up early, just like my mother will do to my father tomorrow morning.? The boys exchanged grins. ?And she?ll laugh when he says his head hurts.?

?I think that soon my? mother will tell my father that he has had enough to drink,? Pendar murmured, watching Kyri cross the clearing toward Ghee.

The boys chuckled when Kyri tapped Ghee on his broad shoulder and merely quirked a brow at him expectantly. Ghee sighed heavily and rolled his eyes, but he reached for a tankard of Shig rather than the strong Tihaar. Kyri smiled her approval and stood on her toes to give him a fervent kiss.

The warrior?s friends whistled and stomped their appreciation. The noise drew the eyes of the other women, and they joined Kyri in putting an end to the drinking of spirits. But both boys knew that the moment the women were once more distracted, the Tihaar would be passed around again. The women knew it, too, but ignored it. They would make the men pay for their stubborn foolishness in the morning.

?Your mother makes sure Ghee is ready for battle,? Uldaas teased.

Pendar shrugged. ?She could do the fighting,? he answered. ?But she doesn?t want him to have too much fun tonight.?

The boys exchanged a look of understanding, well aware of the mothers? strong wills. Then Uldaas cleared his throat and reached into his pocket. He held out something to Pendar. ?Here,? the boy murmured. ?I made this for you, to give you when you became a Mando.?

Without a word, Pendar took the gift. It was a vibroblade sheath, made out of nerf leather, hand to

8. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Drama Continued

Whispers by Nienna_Narmolanya

Shuddering at the memory of that night, Jocasta shut her eyes tightly. ?I can?t believe I fell into their trap. Why didn?t I sense something wasn?t right??

Tyone touched her arm and, opening her eyes, the girl studied her boots. ?But you couldn?t have known. The dark side is clouded and treacherous and you?re only a youngling.?

?They?ll throw me out for what I did,? Jocasta said bitterly. So what if Tyone knew her fears? Nothing mattered anymore.

?Who??

?The Council. They?ll throw me out. I shut my mind to the Force my whole life. I don?t deserve to be a Jedi.?

Tyone gasped softly and her grip on the girl?s arm tightened. ?Of course you do. Only a true Jedi who trusted the Force completely could have it appear to them in such a way. You have nothing to fear from the Council. You showed tremendous courage and, for what it?s worth, I?m proud of you.?

Pulling her legs in closer, Jocasta buried her face in her knees.

Tyone?s arm was around her shoulders in a heartbeat. ?What?s wrong, dear??

Finally looking up into the woman?s eyes, Jocasta felt all the emotion she had bottled up inside come raging to the surface. ?How could you?? she whispered, her voice cracking. ?I thought you cared about me, and now you?re going to leave me? Just like that??

Tyone?s lips parted slightly and her brow knit into a confused frown. ?What are you talking about??

?Your meeting with the Council,? Jocasta spat out as if it were common knowledge. ?You?re going on active duty again.?

Tyone?s confused look disappeared in an instant. ?Ah,? she said softly. ?Where did you hear that??

?I just heard it.? Jocasta felt like burying her head again.

?I didn?t want to say anything until I was sure, but yes, I?m going on active duty again. The Council approved it.?

Hearing it directly from the woman?s mouth stung even worse, as any fledging hopes she might?ve had that it was all some mistake died. She struggled against tears, hardly noticing as Tyone?s hold around her shoulders tightened.

?Jocasta, there?s something I need to talk to you about, something very important.? She shook her arm gently. ?Please look at me.?

Raising her head, Jocasta regarded her through blurry eyes.

Tyone breathed deeply. ?It?s true, I want to go on missions again,? she said slowly and Jocasta met her earnest gaze, ?but only if you come with me.?

?What??

Leaning closer, Tyone?s eyes shone like gems. ?Jocasta,? she said solemnly, ?are you willing to be my Padawan learner??

The girl?s mouth opened, but her voice wouldn?t work.

Tyone?s lips curved into a smile. ?I feel the Force brought us together for a reason, that we belong together as a team. I wasn?t lying when I said you could be a great Jedi.?

Still unable to speak, Jocasta nodded her head faster and faster, wanting to pinch herself to see if it was all a dream. If so, she would simply refuse to wake. ?Yes,? she finally choked out, a silly grin planting itself on her face.

Tyone smiled brightly. ?I spoke to Master Yoda about this after my meeting and he gave his consent. That?s how I know the Council won?t give you any trouble.? Her gaze intensifying, she took the girl?s hands in her own. ?I mean to love and care for you as a mother would, Jocasta Nu. You deserve nothing less.?

It was then that Jocasta lost her battle against the tears, but once they started, she didn?t want them to ever stop. As Master Tyone pulled her closer, she curled into the woman?s warm embrace, closing her eyes to the Archives? glowing holos and the bronzium busts that shone in the golden-red light. Suddenly the upcoming Council meeting didn?t seem to matter as much. Her future was finally coming into focus, and she liked what she saw. Whatever happened, she and Master Tyone would face it together. She reached out into the Force, letting it swirl and eddy around her as she silently than

9. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Romance

A Place to Call My Own by VaderLVR64

She smiled at him and felt delighted laughter welling up inside her. She had been right ? he could teach her how to laugh.

?Are you real?? he asked with a grin, remaining where he was, not moving closer as if he did not wish to startle her.

It was Lenora who moved, taking a step toward him. She caught a hint of his clean, masculine scent and thought how much nicer it was than all the costly fragrances that some men wore. ?I?m not sure,? she said solemnly. ?Sometimes I don?t feel as if I?m real,? she admitted with a tilt of her head. She was amazed at her own honesty. What prompted her to bare her soul to this man she had just met, when she knew so well how to dissemble and mislead when she wanted to?

Amri-Lon reached out slowly, giving her plenty of time to back away, and brushed his knuckles across her cheek. ?You?re right,? he whispered. ?You?re too beautiful to be real.? He seemed embarrassed by the words, but he did not take them back. He shifted nervously on his feet.

Lenora resisted the urge to nuzzle into that big palm, wondering at her uncharacteristic lack of restraint. ?I shouldn?t be out here?alone?with you,? she confessed in a husky whisper.

?No?you shouldn?t,? he agreed. ?I?m not the sort of man your parents would approve of,? he added with a regretful shake of his big, shaggy head.

Smiling sadly, Lenora whispered, ?They don?t approve much of me either.?

?Then they?re fools,? he said firmly, and her heart warmed at his obvious and complete approval. His gaze seemed tender in the moonlit garden. ?Why are you here?? he asked.

?I have no idea,? she answered honestly. ?I just knew that if I didn?t get out of there I was going to scream.?

?Do you scream often?? he asked with a quirk of one dark brow.

?I don?t know,? she answered. ?I rather think I would if I was given the chance.? She sensed his amusement at her answer.

?What do you know then?? Again, there was just that tantalizing hint of laughter in his voice. She suddenly realized what his attraction was, Amri-Lon Jinn was a happy man. Lenora wondered if he knew how rare that gift was, but she thought that perhaps he did.

?I?? she swallowed hard. ?I know that I want to get to know you better.? Unable to help herself, her eyes went to those full, soft lips.

?We shouldn?t,? he said.

?Shouldn?t what?? she asked in a whisper.

?This, you, me, any of it,? he replied, his voice cracking. ?I?m no good for the likes of you.?

?Who are you good for then?? Lenora murmured, moving closer and watching with amusement as he took a step back.

?Girls of my own class, servants and country girls,? Amri replied, and now she saw his eyes were on her lips as well.

?Lucky girls,? Lenora teased. Then she cocked her head and gave him a smile that seemed to make him stop breathing for just a moment. ?So you?re going to hold my birth against me??

?I think I should,? he answered uncertainly.

?You think too much,? she said as she took another step closer. She was stopped by his huge hands closing gently around her arms. He shook his head at her.

?That?s enough of that, Lenora,? he warned. ?You?d better leave while I can still let you. Run back to your parents? house and thank the goddess for your narrow escape.?

Shaking her head, she felt his breathing grow more rapid and his hands clenched unintentionally around her arms. ?It?s not nearly enough,? she told him. ?But I can be patient.? Laughing softly, she pursed her lips at him and winked. ?You?ll kiss me one day, Amri-Lon Jinn, just see if you don?t.? With that, she slipped free of his grasp and turned to go. When she reached the gate, he called out to her.

?Lenora??

She whirled around, her skirts settling into soft folds around her. ?Yes?? she asked, her lips quirking in a teasing smile.

?You?re right about one thing,? he

10. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Romance Continued

His face and voice dropped again, so Shmi barely caught his next words. "I would never again risk loving someone I couldn't protect..."

Again his eyes met hers, and he attempted a crooked smile. "Even if that meant I would be alone my whole life. And then I met you, Shmi, and everything that had seemed so simple got complicated, and I didn't know anymore what was right and what was wrong..."

Suddenly so much about him that had been a mystery to Shmi was made plain. "Why didn't you tell me all this before? I would have understood. I would have agreed with you, even."

He ran his hand across his forehead. "I should have," he admitted. "I should have trusted you that much. But I was ashamed, and confused, and I didn't trust myself.... Can you forgive me, Shmi?"

The anger and hurt were slipping away, because now she understood why he had rejected her, and a warm glow of joy was dawning again in her heart, because they were together again, despite everything, and she would never let him go again. "Of course I forgive you." She ran her hand along the planes of his cheek, and down to his neck, feeling the hard muscle of his shoulder under his soft, warm skin. With a wrenching sense of disappointment she drew her hand back, and looked down. "Can you forgive me, for pressuring you? I know you're right. I would never want a child of mine to be a slave, either. It would be stupid to risk pregnancy. I never even thought of it that way. I just wanted you so much. But I'm willing to wait, until we're free, if that's what you want."

He cupped her chin in his hand and tilted her face up until her eyes met his. "No." His eyes blazed with desire, boring into hers. "I want to love you, Shmi, body and soul. I don't want to wait. I want to make love to you. If you'll have me."

Her heart raced and her head swam. "Oh, yes," she whispered.

"And if our love is blessed with a child, so be it."

Shmi nodded, unable to speak.

"Everything is coming together for us, Shmi. First Ketrell asks me to join their seven - I still don't know how he knew I played -"

"I told him. After one of them got killed, I overheard them complaining, and I told them. I never guessed it could work out this way, though."

His arms tightened around her. "How could you? And then the one thing in the universe Irneeto wants falls right into your hands... It's like something is looking out for us, Shmi. Destiny, the gods, that Force they say the Jedi believe in... This is meant to happen, Shmi. We're meant to be together. We're meant to be free."

"We must be..." She was dizzy, giddy with hope and happiness. His mouth met hers, and his hands on her were strong and certain, nothing held back this time. Her body sang in response, and she was quite ready to give herself to him, right then and there, if only they had the time...

Time.

How long had they been out here, talking? Longer than they'd ever stayed out before, and it had already been late in the meal break when they started.

Much too long...

She gasped and pulled away, frantic but reluctant nevertheless. "Kern, I've got to go! It's so late. They must have started back to work already..." She darted for the door, Kern close beside her.

He ran with her down the corridor. "Will they beat you, if you're late?"

"Probably." Shmi was defiant, though fear clutched at her heart. "I don't care if they do."

He grabbed her hand and pulled her to a halt. "Shmi, let me come with you. I'll stop them..."

She jerked her hand roughly away. "There's nothing you can do. Go!" She bolted away from him.

By the time she arrived in the servant's kitchen, sweaty and panting for breath, the other slaves had already been at work for at least half an hour. The head cook was waiting for her, whip in hand.

But even the pain as the whip lashed her bare back could not wholly destroy the flame newly rekindled within her.

11. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Humor

A Qui-Gon On Your Couch by ardavenport

So, the first thing you want to do to live out your Star Wars fantasy is...

...get a Qui-Gon Jinn.

Yeah, I know what you?re thinking. But it?s not that hard. A little weird science. A few extra dimensions. And BANG! . You?ve got yourself a Qui-Gon. Delivered right to your living room.

You can get anything on ebay.

My credit card is howling, but it?s worth it. Really.

\\\\_\\\\==\\\\_\\\\==]_[==//// _////==//// _////

OK. There are a few things that I should have thought of...

First, he wasn?t really planning on a stay at my place. He?s got missions and stuff to do. And he wanted Obi-Wan.

I thought about it, but getting the two of them would have been way, waaaaaay too expensive. And my place has only one bedroom, and while this is a Star Wars fantasy , there?s just no way it could work with both. I had to pick one.

He was upset. I totally understand that and I tried to be supportive. No, I just tried to get out of the way. He was pretty shocked when he looked outside, but he didn?t go running out in the street or anything. I was really afraid he?d get away. He did go into the backyard, but none of the neighbors saw him. It was night and he looked up at the stars and the moon for a bit, but you can?t really see much in the city.

He nailed me when he came back inside.

I forgot to take the action figures off the bookshelf.

That was my bad.

I pretty much had to give him the whole story about the Star Wars movies a LOT sooner than I had wanted to. Well, I was thinking about skipping that if I could, but that option was pretty much gone. He can be really intimidating. He?s pretty big.

He didn?t get it at first. I mean, it was like explaining science fiction to my parents . But, I guess he finally got the part about being in a different world.

Of course, he wanted to know how he got here, and how he could get back, but I managed to dodge that one by saying that I had no idea how it happened. He got that calm look on his face and waved his hand in front of me. I swear I felt something, but it didn?t work!

Hah! Not so weak-minded, am I, Mr. Jedi?!

He looked a little embarrassed, like he?d just farted or something, and he stopped asking.

He said something about the Force flowing differently in this place.

\\\\_\\\\==\\\\_\\\\==]_[==//// _////==//// _////

Now, I had made some plans. I did arrange to have the week off from work for this. So, I could spend all my time with Qui-Gon. I found out a lot, just the first night.

Qui-Gon Jinn can eat anything. Really. Pizza, donuts, soup, diet drinks, carrots, peanut butter and relish sandwiches on pumpernickel bread. Anything. I guess he has to eat a lot of weird things all the time in the GFFA, so my fridge was no challenge to him.

And he likes cats!

I was so happy, I could have purred myself.

Ten minutes later, I had a Jedi Knight covered with cat hair. Of course, Binky, the white persian, had to go for the dark, brown robe and Toottles, the gray tortoise-shell, was all over his lap. Cat hair magnet! Ack!

But then he gets up and wipes it all off. Really. None of it stuck. He just brushed it all off with his hand into a fluff ball and it went into the trash. GFFA clothes. Wow.

It was getting late and I, um, suggested we go to bed. He though that was fine until I said that I only had one bedroom and he could share my bed with me if he wanted. It was pretty lame and stupid, and he said no. I guess it could have gone a lot worse. He wasn?t offended or anything. He didn?t glare or sneer or anything. Just said no, like he?s been asked before and he?s said no before.

That was a let down.

Yeah, my bad.

I gave him sheets and blankets and pillows and he took the couch.

The cats slept with Qui-Gon.

[link=http://boards.theforce

12. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best All Around

The Truth Shall Set You Free by Jedidas3

The Jedi master cautiously made his way towards Obi-Wan. He watched the padawan as the youth?s exhaustion became evident once more, overshadowing his outburst that was now a memory. The young Jedi slid down the wall and sat on the floor. His shoulders were slumped in defeat as waves of despair and hopelessness crashed over him.

Kneeling down beside the padawan, Qui-Gon reached out to the hurting youth, placing his hand gently on Obi-Wan?s shoulder. ?Obi-Wan? Please let me help you. There are no more games to be played.?

?That?s good,? Obi-Wan replied wearily. ?I don?t have anything left to lose?except my life?and that?s not worth much.?

?Padawan Kenobi?Obi-Wan?I will not allow that to happen.? Qui-Gon prayed to the Force that he sounded more confident that he felt. He had the ability to bring peace to warring worlds, but he had yet to find a way to bring peace to the decimated spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Obi-Wan shook his head and sighed heavily as he leaned back against the wall. ?Master Jinn, I?ve lost the Force, most of my friends, and what little dignity and self respect that I ever had. By my own hand, I?ve lost my master and there?s nothing I can do or would do to change that. But more importantly, there is nothing that you can do. I?m asking you one last time to forget about me and leave me alone.?

Qui-Gon realized that he was just beginning to gain insight into Obi-Wan Kenobi and what he had been forced to endure at the hands of Master Elad. Even if he had the desire to, he could not turn his back on the young padawan. ?I can?t do that, Obi-Wan.?

The Master and the Padawan said nothing as time seemed to stand still for a moment. The day had been filled with turmoil and chaos as well as several unexpected discoveries. The Jedi master did not want to ruin the first moment of tranquility that the youth had been able to claim as his own.

Qui-Gon finally broke the silence as he spoke to the young man. ?Obi-Wan, why did you react to my request with such vehemence? Were you afraid that I was actually going to harm you??

Obi-Wan briefly recalled the simple command of removing his under tunic that had spawned the events of the last few moments. ?Afraid? No, Master Jinn, I wasn?t afraid. Fear?after all, fear leads to anger?I?m sure that I don?t need to tell you the rest.?

?No, you don?t. However, you haven?t answered my initial question.?

?Why don?t you tell me why it is so important to you? What are you expecting to see, Master Jinn??

The padawan was raising his defenses, once again. He silently cursed himself for allowing the Jedi master to see through the minute crack that he had allowed in his armor.

?Why don?t you tell me what it is you?re afraid that I?ll see? I hope that I?m wrong about what I?m expecting; but judging by your reaction, I would venture to say that my perceptions are correct.?

?If I do as you ask, will you leave??

Qui-Gon smiled as he stood up and offered a hand to the padawan. ?For now,? he replied. ?But only because you need to rest and eat something and I have another engagement.?

Obi-Wan struggled to his feet ignoring the Jedi master?s offer for assistance. ?Fine,? he angrily replied. He hastily pulled off his under tunic and stood before the older Jedi.

What Qui-Gon saw was not what he was expecting?it was far worse than he could ever imagine. Obi-Wan?s back and chest bore scars both old and new. It was evident that various tools of torture had been used to mar the once perfect skin. The Jedi master immediately recognized several scars that would have been caused by a lightsaber burn. Other scars appeared to be the result of someone who was very proficient at wielding a knife. Qui-Gon could not even fathom a guess as to what other forms of pain had been inflicted on the padawan. The older Jedi stood speechless as he continued to stare at Obi-Wan.

?S

13. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Style

Most Underrated

Through Cloud and Sunshine by Noelie

Qui-Gon knew, of course, that Alderaan was beautiful, but even to his eyes there were few places in the Galaxy more exquisite than this hideaway of the Ovorp family just outside of Antibes.

It hadn?t felt right to arrive here by speeder; something infinitely precious and graceful in the Living Force would have been insulted. There was something perfectly enchanting in how the richness of nature had been so well tended, so cared for and yet so unsullied by artifice. Wild fowl flew overhead, their strident cries good company in his solitude.

His tall, slim form showing signs of the full adult power he would reach in a few years gained the appreciative looks of more than one female Alderaanian as he passed. Were his mind not fully occupied with one particular female he might have enjoyed the attention.

Life of a Jedi being what it was, he hadn?t heard of her trouble; in fact had no idea Noela had left Coruscant abruptly two months before. It troubled him that she hadn?t turned to him immediately upon hearing of her parent?s accident and death, but honesty had him admitting that it was her habit not to impose upon their relationship, particularly since the edict.

He stood at the bottom of the gentle rise that led to the family home, to look closely at the place Noela considered her refuge. It was delightful and yet exotically unique for anything he had seen in the galaxy, having the charm of an idea that had come from the bygone days of another world the Grandmother was from.

He carefully climbed the capped stone steps, carefully wending their way to the large wrap-around porch that would allow guests to sit and enjoy the spectacular views available from the house. He drew in an appreciative breath of grass, flowers and even the salt air of the ocean less than a mile away from the house, and knocked carefully on the door.

It opened, and a woman that could only be the grandmother with her thick plait of hair crowning her head and her perfect nose. A smile warmed the face as of yet unlined by age, and a quick glance to his belt and the light saber carefully tucked there continued to improve the smile by guarded recognition.

?You must be Qui-Gon Jinn.? Her voice was cultured but with an accent he could not place.

He remembered, just barely the clipped bow and the brush of his lips to her hand that his Master had perfected and taught on many of their lessons of behavior toward women Master Dooku felt of worth and breeding.

?I am indeed, Madam Ovorp.?
    She indicated by gesture and turn of her head to follow her to an elegant room, where he could only assume a great deal of her musical pursuits took place. In the corner was a gorgeous instrument, a piano, yet unlike anything he had ever seen before. His fingers ran idly over the keys, the sound somehow gratifying to his soul. She watched for a moment, and then gestured to a chair by a little table set with tisane.

For long moments they considered their cups, and then she observed, ?Noela didn?t say you were coming.?

?I did try to warn her ma?am, but she didn?t seem to be receiving my messages. At least she wasn?t responding to them. I am sorry for the loss of your son.? It seemed to Qui-Gon a pathetically small sentiment to express to a woman that had just had such a loss.

She bowed her head briefly. ?Thank you, I appreciate what you had to go through to actually come to us. I am not insensible of it all, seeing as you have been forbidden to have contact with Noela.?

Qui-Gon smiled a charming, crooked grin, ?Yes ma?am, the council and my Master are despairing of me as we speak.?

She gave a little, amused laugh at his open honesty admitting that he had gained the permission he needed to be here, but against the better judgment of some very powerful beings.

?How is Noela, ma?am?? He asked tentatively.

Ma

14. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Most Underrated Continued

Essence of Dagobah by Lea-El

"Yoda would you like to go with me to make my report or would you like to visit the archives?" Moth asked.

"Ooh! Archives, I would like to visit." Yoda looked bright eyes at Moth.

"Good choice, follow me I'll show you to the archive." Moth took off toward the archive at his usual pace unaware of the inconvenience to his small companion. On arriving he turned to see Yoda running to catch up. "I'm sorry Yoda. I was thinking about my report and forgot ..."

"Accustom to running, I am." Yoda panted slightly.

Moth escorted Yoda into the archive and watched as he marveled at the height of the room, the marble column supporting the ceiling and the seemingly never-ending shelves. "The Jedi Archive is the largest collection of information in one place in the galaxy."

Moth waved Master Jolanda Nu over and quietly asked the prim and proper older master. "Master Nu, I have a report to give and I was wondering if you could watch my guest for a couple of hours. He would love to read up on the history of the Jedi I am sure."

Master Nu looked down seeing her new charge. "Ah! Yes, I would love to show? him? ?around. What is your name little fellow?" Master Nu asked, as she would any initiate candidate. "How old are you?"

"Yoda and thirty standard years, I am." Yoda answered, perturbed at her tone.

"Oh! You are kind of old for such a little fellow aren't you?" She said, digging herself deeper into the hole.

Moth walked off leaving the two to work out their situation on their own. 'I have a bad feeling about this,' he thought as the door to the lift closed.

~`~`~`~`~`~

Three hours later and his brain fried from questions Moth walked out of the lift to his quarters then remembered his guest and had to backtrack to get to the archive. He looked around and found Master Nu.

"Ah! Master Moth, I must say your guest was a perfect gentleman. I showed him to a holo-cubical and he has been studying as quietly as a mouse. He's right this way." Master Nu took off at her full flowing pace and opened the door to the study cubical. In side the holo-imager was droning on about the sixteenth head of the Jedi Council and the changes and improvements he made to the curriculum and wardrobe but no guest was to be found.

"I?I?know he was here." Master Nu blushed as she realized her charge was missing.

"It's okay! I'm sure we'll find him." Moth wished he were as sure as he tried to sound for her sake. He remembered the feeling he'd experienced as he left but was too busy to worry about at the time.

Moth took the left side of the archive and Nu took the right, both searched frantically. Then Moth heard her scream, "Oh! Sithspit!" This was the first time he ever heard that phrase from the proper Head of the Archives and at that volume. He ran in the direction of the commotion hoping it wasn't going to be what he feared.

It was! There sat Yoda on the floor, holocrons strewn all around him, many of the familiar pyramidal shape of the Sith. The door to the vault was clearly marked several meters above his head.

NO INITIATES ? NO PADAWANS ? NO KNIGHTS
    ONLY MASTERS WITH COUNCIL PERMISSION ALLOWED BEYOND THIS POINT

Moth's exclamation echoed Master Nu's. Moth stepped in and grabbed Yoda by the collars of his robe and snatched the holocron out of his grasp. Yoda kicked and squirmed protesting his treatment, thoroughly confused as to his crime.

Master Nu chided herself. "Why did I leave that vault door open? Everyone knows not to go in there without permission. No one would think of disobeying the Councils order. It would mean instant dismissal from the Order." She reassured herself out loud.

Moth headed to where he knew he was going to be called. The lift door opened to the reception area outside the Council Chambers, he heard Master Poof scream. "Get Moth in here NOW!!!"

The nervous receptionist was thrilled to see Moth

15. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Most Underrated Continued

Again the apprentice mused over what he had been told. Finally he looked up at his master, an almost innocent eagerness lighting his face. "What will he be like, master?"

"He will be wonderful and terrible, apprentice." The master looked off into the distance, anticipation strong in his voice. "The ranks of the Jedi will fall before him like ripe grain to the harvest. He will bring slaughter to a multitude of worlds, and the dark side will drink deeply of death. With his victims' every cry, the Sith will grow stronger, and their fear and pain will swell our power a thousandfold. It will be a glorious time, my apprentice, the consummation of untold generations of toil. He will lead us to unimaginable heights of power. He will crush the galaxy beneath his heel, and we will hold unchallenged dominion over it forever."

Eyes shining, the apprentice contemplated the vision of the future. "Then let us begin, master."

The master bowed his head in acquiescence. "Let us begin."

He stepped to the doorway, and opened it. "Bring her in."

A servant droid led a child into the room, a slender, pretty, Muun girl, clad in a plain tunic. She followed obediently. When she spied the two cloaked figures, her face lit up, and she ran across the room to clasp the master around the knees. "Adda!" she cried happily.

The master knelt and put an arm around her. "Welcome, dearest."

The girl hugged him. "I missed you, Adda. Will you play with me? Will you show me your pretty red light again?"

"I will." He rose, grasped her beneath the arms and hoisted her up to sit on the stone block. "But first, dearest, wait here a moment, please, while I speak with my friend."

"Yes, Adda." The child swung her legs and beat her heels playfully against the hard stone.

The master stepped back and laid his hand on the apprentice's arm, and together they withdrew to the edge of the room. The apprentice gave up any attempt to hide his confusion. "Who is she, master, and what has she to do with our working tonight?"

"She is its heart, my apprentice." The master turned and gazed at the waiting girl. "She is a child of my own body. Her mother died by my hand in the hour of her birth. I have raised her. I have allowed her to love me, and by this have let myself be drawn perilously close to the boundary where light meets dark."

The apprentice turned to look at the girl. He turned back to his master, breath quickening, focused intently, on the verge of understanding some great truth. "Why, master?" he whispered.

"Because only in this way could I access the power I will need. Only in this way can I tear the veil between life and death open wide enough for the Midi-chlorians to pour across in vast numbers, and create a being powerful enough to bear the destiny of the galaxy. Only by walking close, close to the borderline, and exposing myself to the full temptation of the Light."

The master folded hands that shook just a little before him, and bowed his head. His voice sank to a barely audible whisper. "Only by allowing myself to love her."

He stepped forward to the altar. He extended one hand, and the girl was pushed flat on her back by an invisible force. She gave a cry of surprise, and looked at him in trusting puzzlement. "Adda? What are you doing?"

A lightsaber appeared in his other hand, and blossomed into life, its scarlet glow lighting the girl's face and reflecting in the master's eyes, deep within his hood. He raised it, and held it vertical in the air, hilt up, point down, directly above the girl.

His voice was strained. "Apprentice, do you remember all that I have instructed you, and know what you must do?"

"Yes, master," the apprentice breathed. His face was suffused with a glow of deep wonder. "I understand."

"Good. Now is the time." The master raised his other hand to the lightsaber hilt, and both hands clutched it fiercely tight, tremb

16. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
  17. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Response To A Challenge

The Serpent's Kiss by JediNemesis

Down in the valley, Gerart Malvier drew the outer door of the Star Inn closed, shot the bolt, and put the chain across. On the other side of the main room, his wife was closing the curtains and straightening chairs.

They met at the foot of the stairs, and Sandre looked towards the locked door, and then at her husband. ?Gerart . . .?

?It?s out of our hands.? Gerart said brusquely.

Sandre wrung a fold of her dress between her hands and whispered ?Gerart, that poor boy.?

Her husband grunted. ?D?you see how his eyes lit up when I mentioned the Lady living on her own?? He started upstairs. ?Deserves everything he gets.?

?No!? Sandre caught at the hem of his tunic. ?Nobody deserves that.?

Gerart came back downstairs and sat down on the step, pulling Sandre into his arms. ?That?s as may be. But if we hadn?t sent him, she would have come for the children. You know what we promised. We send loners up to her, and she stays away from us -?

?It?s not right.? Sandre said wretchedly. ?It?s not right.?

?The girls know.? Gerart said after a long while. ?I?m sure of it.?

Sandre closed her eyes. ?Yes -?

There was a creak of a floorboard above them, and both parents glanced up. From the floor above a dim light was shining through a crack, and two girlish voices were chanting sleepily.

?. . . Janny Melanny's a witch in disguise . . .?

Sandre pulled free of her husband?s grip and climbed the stairs, stony-eyed. A moment later Gerart followed her, and watched helplessly from the upper door as Sandre put their two daughters summarily back in bed.

Later, though, after he had looked in on Casse and Mele and found them both fast asleep, he would have sworn that someone was still singing, their voice as high and as faint as the keening of the wind.

O Janny Melanny lives over the hill -
    She lives on her own and she never comes out;
    And nobody knows if she everly will;
    Keep to the path if you're ever about -
    She lives in the castle way up by the fall,
    With graves in the garden and bones on the wall!

O Janny Melanny?s a witch in disguise -
    She's got hair like black stormclouds and glowing green eyes;
    Keep to the path if you're ever about -
    But after the sunset when no-one's awake,
    Janny Melanny turns into a snake!

O Janny Melanny will ask you to stop -
    For during the day she's a woman on top;
    (Keep to the path if you're ever about)
    But see that white dress like a big flappy sail?
    She wears the long skirt so's you can't see the tail!

If Janny Melanny gets into your head -
    (She lives on her own and she never comes out)
    You'll pine till you're crazy - and then till you're dead! -
    (So keep to the path if you're ever about)
    If she asks you "Come in!" then say thank you and go -
    If she offers a drink then say thank you but no!
    For if Janny Melanny's laid lips to your cup,
    You'll go off to sleep and you'll never wake up!

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/26349003/p1/?59]Conspiracy Theory[/link] by BrentusofGath

The smoking man walked into the rectory of the temple to make sure things would proceed without a hitch. His comm unit beeped and he placed his glowing death stick betwee his teeth to fish the device from his pocket.

"Yes?"

"That fool has failed to kill the Queen. She has spoken to Agent Scully. Kill the incompetent." The voice of Darth Sidious was unsettling, even to the hardened smoking man.

"And the Queen?"

There was a slight pause. "She is of no consequence. She knows nothing more to tell. And her death would bring unnecessary attention to Naboo. Let her be."

"As you wish." Deadly silence poured back over the link. The smoking man pushed a few buttons and a new link was established. "Dispose

18. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
  19. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Songfic

Gunning Down Romance by SabyneAmberle

(Author?s Note: The lyrics used are from the song Gunning Down Romance by Savage Garden.)

Love and other moments are just chemical reactions in your brain
    In your brain

The bottom of the glass met the top of the bar with a loud, echoing clink that could be heard over the din of other patrons, each immersed in his own discussions and affairs. The noise did not abate, however; no head was turned in its direction, no conversation silenced in curiosity at the spectacle. In this setting, such sounds were more common than the drunken brawls that took place between rival parties. It was just part of the territory.

Fingers clenched on the glass, knuckles white, nails almost bloodless, as though attempting to crush the life out of the inanimate object in its grasp. The arm attached to the hand holding the glass was rigid, the tension in the limb was so great it seemed as though it would snap if touched the wrong way. The man the arm was attached to was equally rigid, liquor-glazed eyes narrowed venomously, mouth curled in an unfashionable sneer. His glare seemed to be locked on the spot of bar located a few inches in front of him, the spot where the glass now rested.

Shifting his gaze somewhat, the man allowed it to fall upon the frowning face of the barkeep standing nearby. ?Another.? He barked simply, gesturing slightly with the glass.

The keep?s frown deepened as he noticed light reflecting from the thin crack that snaked up one side of the glass, undoubtedly from its earlier violent meeting with his bar-top. He shook his head, meeting the man?s sour look with one of his own. ?Not until you pay for breaking my glass.? He informed him curtly. ?Good drinking glasses cost good money, you know, and I can?t keep paying for that rot you drink if I?m paying for all the glasses you lot break.?

The keep disliked men like him, disliked how they stalked in with their problems stacked on their shoulders as they drank. He disliked the way they carried on about those problems as though they were the only ones in the Galaxy who had them, as though theirs were the most severe out of anyone?s. The complaining, the drinking, the fights?at times it made him wish he had never bought this bloody place. Then he remembered the good money he made off drunk fools with more booze than brains, the small amounts he secretly gleaned off the bets at the Pazaak tables without anyone noticing, and he realized what a good investment purchasing this bloody place had been.

The figure scowled darkly at him before rummaging in a pocket of his coat with his free hand. Producing a single credit chip, he casually flicked it to the keep, who gave it a stern look-over to ensure its legitimacy before slipping it in his pocket. As he did, he reached behind him, grabbing a sturdy bottle full of the finest Corellian Brandy and a fresh glass before sauntering over to his patron. Filling the glass, he slid it before the man, who took it in the same rigid grip he had held its predecessor in. His task finished, the keep retreated back to the far end of the bar; thanks were rare in this business, and he wasn?t waiting to receive what he likely wouldn?t.

As the barkeep left, Atton lifted the glass high, draining its contents in three full gulps. As he did, he felt and tasted the sweet fire of the Brandy as it washed down his throat. The strong tang of the alcohol mixed with the bitter rage that festered in his heart, fueling its bitterness that much further. He thought he loved her, hell he thought she loved him. But it was all a lie. It was nothing more than simple attraction, a knee-jerk response to his circumstances. He had seen her, he had felt attracted to her, and he thought he was in love. Apparently, he thought wrong.

And feelings of aggression are the absence of the love drug in
    Your veins, in your veins

Making eye cont

20. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Poem

To My Heir by JediNemesis

If you can keep your head when all around you
    Are weakening from doubt, or sick with fright;
    If you can stand and smile when trouble's found you,
    And do what must be done to win the fight;
    If you can make your name a word for fearing,
    And make yourself a plague, a scourge, a curse;
    If you can lie without a trace appearing,
    And only speak the truth when truth is worse;

If you can do - and not let deeds content you;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can kill - and not let guilt prevent you,
    And feel no grief, and never think of shame;
    If you can meet with mercy, and forgiveness,
    And treat both with the scorn that they deserve;
    If you can use the time that has been given us
    To learn the powers of the Dark you serve,

If you can wait, and not be tired by waiting,
    But turn your pent-up powers on the Light,
    And hide your hatred till the time for hating,
    And hold your hand until the time is right;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To speed again when pain has made them slow,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the will that says "It shall be so" -

If you can draw your blade against your Master,
    And risk your life and soul on that one duel,
    Or, beaten, snatch a triumph from disaster,
    And live to win, and take the throne, and rule;
    If you can use the gift the Force has lent us,
    And hold fast though the Dark Side bleeds you dry,
    You'll make a Sith one day, my young apprentice,
    And - though you do - your name will never die!

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/26060929/p1/?3]Bib and Jaina?s Excellent Adventure[/link] by DarthIshtar

[i]Author's note: This was a poem prompted by a game in the Provo Fan Force. In said game, we drew random slips of paper with various story elements listed and were required to write a story based on all of those elements. I drew Kyp and Jaina,[/i] The Millennium Falcon[i], the[/i] Tantive IV[i], Bib Fortuna and General Grievous. With such a varied set of elements, all I could come up with was the insane set of circumstnaces in the poem that follows.[/i]

Listen children, to my tale
    That occurred so long, long ago
    About your Grandparents' tendency to fail
    When they were still Durron and Solo

?Twas in the time before Naboo
    And long before your mother?s birth
    When Jedi still stood for peace and truth, too
    And Obi-Wan had yet to prove his worth

As most times are, ?twas an age of war
    And Bib, our intrepid Twi?lek hero,
    Was a tour guide on the Tantive IV
    And his IQ was still near zero

?Twas his job indeed to ensure all year
    That great fun was enjoyed by all
    But unfortunately, it was a time of fear
    When General Grievous came to call.

Now you may say, my dear child, and be right
    That this should have been before his time
    The Durrons were somehow there and took fright
    When they realized the scope of his crime.

You see, kids, the design of this nefarious bot
    Was to steal a YT-1300 for his own
    And the Falcon was the only one in a vulnerable spot
    For Lando?s dad had been flying alone.

But knowing the cost that they would have to pay
    If her Dad?s favorite ship had been hijacked
    Jaina swept in with her lightsaber to save the day
    And made sure that Grievous was sidetracked

But, of course, as her wont, Jaina took too many risks
    And was in peril of losing the battle
    So ol? Bib stowed away in that asymmetrical disk
    And reduced General Grievous to chattel

Now, that?s not the story your Grandma will tell,
    But who would you believe anyway
    When ?gainst an asthmatic droid from hell
    Would Bib or Jaina save the day?

[hr]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/a/b10475/24600646/]Exile's Call[/link] by brodiew

In the wake of bloody war,
    The Jedi turned within,
    Tired of all the battle scars
    And killing among kin.

At the momen

21. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Crossover

My Padawan, My Child by Gkilkenny

Summary: Obi-Wan follows two villagers through the star gate, to rescue them. He meets the SG1 team and then he is kidnapped. Qui-Gon follows Obi-Wan, and with SG1?s help, they find him.

ooooo

[What happened??] Qui-Gon thought. [Where is my Padawan, why can?t I feel him?]

Qui-Gon came out of his reverie, at the sound of approaching footsteps. Yoda approached him.

?Information comes to light, it has Qui-Gon,? Yoda stated.

?What is it, have they found Obi-Wan?? he blurted out.

?Found him we have not, but strange object on the planet Ossus, has been found.?

?A strange object, what sort of object.?

Yoda handed him a data pad. The message on the pad was plain; ?Master Jinn, Please return to Ossus. A large round object has been found in a cave.? Signed Master Ramiro

ooooo

?What is it Padawan have you seen something?? he asked.

?I am not sure Master, I saw something.? It was like I was looking at a perfectly round pond and there was blue water shimmering in it.?

?A pond, well there are a few ponds down stream from the mountain.? Qui-Gon questioned.

?Yes Master but this appears to be made of something smooth and round Master, it is strange because the pond does not appear to be flat. It is not lying on the ground; it seems to be suspended in the air.?

?Then it is not a pond, Padawan? perhaps you are misreading your vision.? Qui-Gon stated.

?Master - it is - a pond with a waterfall that comes out horizontally, and then recedes back into its self.?

?It is impossible for a pond to do that Padawan!?

Obi-wan stared at his Master. ?Master don?t you believe me??

ooooo

Obi-Wan stepped up and put his hand in the substance it was cool to the touch, he was confused by its substance, it wasn?t water as he had thought, he took a deep breath, and stepped into it disappearing. As Obi-Wan was flying through space heading for an unknown destination, at the other end on a planet called earth, in another far away galaxy, was the Star Gate he was heading too.

It was a facility called Star Gate Command, and SG1 were in the process of trying to recapture the Goau'ld Jaffa Guard, he had been held a prisoner since he came through the Star gate two weeks before, carrying two prisoners, that he was taking back to Apophysis as slaves.
    Obi-wan was confused and before he could take note of his surroundings the Goau?ld pushed the guard down the ramp, and started to charge Obi-wan who was blocking his escape. Obi-wan saw this big being almost as big as his Master charging him, his instinct kicked in and he pulled his sabre out igniting it.

The Goau?ld started to fire, and Obi-wan deflected the shots away from him. However, unknown to Obi-Wan it was a semi-automatic gun and the rounds came fast and furious. His movements became a blur of blue, and the spectators that were watching were stunned at the swiftness of, what appeared to be a child, deflecting machine gun fire with a blue beam of light.

ooooo

Obi-wan was startled, he turned to face them holding his sabre in front of him, and stepped back.

Jack and Daniel saw the scared look on the boys face, and Jack yelled, ?Put your guns down your scaring him?

Obi-wan also lowered his sabre slightly, but kept it ignited.

He felt strange his stomach was hurting, and he didn?t know why, but he wouldn?t let his focus waiver in case they attacked him. Jack and Daniel stepped slowly towards Obi-wan, the boys eyes never left theirs.

When they got within a few metres of him, Daniel spoke. ?We will not hurt you we mean you no harm.? Daniel spoke as he put his hands out in front of him. Obi-wan glanced over to the Goau?ld and then looked back at Daniel.

?He is a bad man we were trying to stop him from hurting the guard,? Daniel said as he pointed to the guard who was sitting up now. ?He is injured, may we help him??

A movement caught Obi

22. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Short Story

Of Secrets and Padawans by Dianethx

Putting one hand on Obi-Wan's thin shoulder, he squeezed sympathetically and said, "Padawan, I don't understand. Why did you think you needed to buy me anything, especially something so valuable?"

Biting his lip again, Obi-Wan said softly, "I know you've been worrying about what happened on Melida/Daan. I should have listened to you then but I was sure I was right and you were wrong and I just kept going." Frowning down at his hands, the boy seemed caught in remembrance. "When you took me back even though the Council was not happy about it, I was so grateful. I wanted to show you how much I appreciated your teachings and I tried to be the best Padawan any Master could have wanted. But you were so distant and distracted."

His eyes flicked toward Qui-Gon's own for a moment before he bowed his head again, the anxiety showing in his pale cheeks and in the way his fingers pulled at his tunic, twisting the cloth into wrinkled clumps. "But things just kept getting worse. There was Telos and Xanatos dying.... the way he did. You got so quiet afterwards and I know you tried your best to teach me. But sometimes the sadness just came through." Obviously hesitant at revealing so much and risking a rebuke, Obi-Wan's story trickled to a stop.

Qui-Gon was dazed. He had no idea that his own problems in accepting Xan's death had affected Obi-Wan so much. The boy rarely showed anything but a smiling face and obedience, never a complaint or even the hint that something might be wrong - until now.

That was going to change.

Putting his arm around his apprentice, Qui-Gon pulled him close. Obi-Wan looked up in surprise and then leaned in, enjoying the warmth.

"Padawan, I'm sorry. I didn't realize." He couldn't quite keep the guilt and husking sadness out of his voice. How much had he missed, how much had he not noticed while he was trying to come to terms with Xan's death?

He felt Obi-Wan's shrug underneath his hand. "It's all right, Master. I know that you didn't do it on purpose. It's just that I'm sorry that I made things worse." But the boy had gone back to twisting his tunic's hem, his worry clear in the way he pulled at the cloth, how he kept looking at Qui-Gon and then shifting away.

"Obi-Wan, the cloak is beautiful and I appreciate the gift but it is only a material thing. There is something more important that I had hoped to receive on my Naming day."

Smiling down into that earnest face, Qui-Gon reached over and lifted Obi-Wan's red-gold braid. "You have chosen to learn the ways of the Force and the Jedi code under my guidance." His fingers felt along the twists of hair and down to the colored threads that marked the noteworthy achievements in the boy's short life. Letting the thin plait go, he asked, "Do you know what the braid symbolizes?"

Obi-Wan was too tired to give him more than a startled flash of confusion at the change of subject. But he answered with all seriousness, "That I am a student of the Jedi Order. That I have a Master to teach me what I need to know to become a Knight. That he keeps me from going to bed when I need to."

At that, Qui-Gon did chuckle, his low rumble answered in the boy's own soft laugh. "That is the smallest part of it, Obi-Wan. A braid is woven with three strands, symbolizing the student, the Master and, although the Council would have you believe the third part is the Jedi Order, it is not. It is the Force itself flowing between the student and teacher, binding them together. As we are bound."

Obi-Wan settled in, nodding sleepily as he listened to the wisdom of long experience.

"It is not a material thing that I would cherish as a Naming day gift but the focus of your time and energy in following the Force and doing what is right and honorable." Qui-Gon's large hand brushed through Obi-Wan's short Padawan cut, a sweeping warmth that whispered of affection and the promise o

23. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Short Story Continued

?And the Wombish Said?? by leiamoody

?Most true is it that ?beauty is in the eye of the gazer?. For anyone who can look upon this spot and call it beautiful must surely have impaired judgment.?

Chevor wished he knew what his master was talking about. But at the moment, his feet were humming the song of the hurt, and his headache had decided to take up an offensive position against the pain medication he had taken before breakfast. Five hours past dawn, they had finally reached the Well of Ouill. The sun was still up in the sky, sitting there so high that it was taunting him. It was hot, and no matter how much water he drank, his blood still felt like it was burning away.

?I cannot imagine how the Force could have possessed Garahaldin here. Coming in touch with the most natural power in the universe right in the midst of sand and rocks...? Aduman shook his head ?...it makes no sense.?

Chevor dropped onto the hard and dusty ground. So Master Aduman thought it important to ramble on about the scenery. He never knew that appealing backgrounds were required for a pilgrimage site. He wondered if his teacher had suddenly lost all connection to the Great Power, since he was obsessed with the most trite and pointless details. What was going on his mind? Had he been driven mad by the heat? It was certainly possible. They started on their trek just after breakfast (which Chevor felt too exhausted from the previous day to consume. Aduman tucked a flask of aisama juice, one half of a rianberry pastry, and a jar of honey in his carrysack, telling him it might be needed later). Halfway along the road, hunger did indeed overtake him, so they stopped for a time. Chevor was almost done the pastry when a bit of filling shot out of the middle and landed on his only other pair of padawan trousers, creating a huge pinkish stain. He found the relative shelter
    of an abandoned grain shack to run behind and change into the pair of light gray and white striped catan pants Aduman had in his sack. So he was going native after all...

Something popped on the back of his left heel.

?Anyway, we are here, and so we must stay until you absorb the atmosphere.?

?Blisters, master.? Chevor?s head was spinning, and his thoughts were starting to coalesce into mud. He could feel the painful prickles caused by the rough interaction between boots, heels, and too much walking.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/b/b1/24526219]A Stirring in the Bones[/link] by Jennifer_Lyn

"My word, what a path yer progeny been on. No end to the wanderin' what's happened since ya set yerself and yer descendants down this crazy road. They don't go by yer name no more, dropped it in favor of another a few centuries back, though I don't quite rightly know why. T'was a good solid name, that one. Had a certain majesty to it and fit yer destiny just right if ya ask me."

Sweat began dripping down the edges of her face and running into her eyes, causing them to burn. Still, she did not slow her digging, her body pushed well beyond what she should have been capable of, given her appearance. Down, down, down she dug the hole, reaching far enough that she was forced to climb into it to continue her work.

Recent rains left the topsoil a sticky mud and it made plopping sounds as she threw it over the edge of the hole. Skrang, skrang. Glop. Skrang, skrang. Glop. The spade rubbed against her skin, erupting in raw blisters, her blood melding with the wood of the handle. Face dripping with sweat, she moved forward, her boots almost pulled from her feet by the muck beneath her as she continued with her task.

Clunk. Clunk clunk. Her spade hit something hollow at the bottom of the hole. Tossing the tool up out of the hole, Gran reached down into the muck and traced the outline of a wooden box with her fingers. Removing the dirt from around its edges, she began to pry the carton loose, doing her best to avoid dam

24. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Epic

The Other Side by Jemmiah

Squeaky paused, and inasmuch as a droid had it within them to appear surprised he seemed to regard Obi-Wan for a moment with confusion. Then, with a non-plussed whistle the droid extended the weapon in its clawed hand, swivelling its arm away from Obi-Wan at the last moment and then activating the device against the wall. A large spray of watery liquid ran down the grimy surface, forming rivers of dirt that were instantly soaked up by the cloth held in Squeaky's other claw.

Obi-Wan's knees nearly buckled for the second time in as many minutes. Without the force to guide him his ability to judge a situation was becoming increasingly impaired, and with it any sense of calm and reassurance.

"That?" Obi-Wan rebuked the droid when he was finally able to recover his voice. "Was unnecessary?"

Squeaky did not appear particularly perturbed by the padawan's lack of appreciation and continued contentedly to potter about the room, wiping, cleaning and dusting as it went, burbling cheerfully away in its own droid language. Obi-Wan seated himself once more next to Jemmiah; still following Squeaky's every move with considerable suspicion.

"She's put a restraining bolt on the droid." Observed the apprentice, running a hand over his spiky hair. "It is unable to do anything other than commanded by its new mistress. If she tells it to throw itself off a tall building then it will have to jump to it - quite literally. No help to us then."

"She's turned poor Squeaky into a slave." Jemmiah's eyes were wild with indignation. "He'd help us to escape if he could - but he can't. He'd get a message to the temple telling them where we were and how to rescue us."

Obi-Wan chewed pensively at his lip, thinking it over. If he could only tempt the droid away from its cleaning duties then perhaps he might, with a little bit of tinkering, manage to get Squeaky back on their side.

"I'm going to try and remove the restraining bolt." He took a deep breath, pushing himself to his feet. "If we can remove it then we might be back in business."

"Be careful, Ben." Jemmiah cautioned him. "Let him know you only want to help."

"It's only a droid." Obi-Wan remarked crisply. "It doesn't care one way or the other. It does whatever it's programmed to do."

"Yeah, but need I remind you that Squeaky's been re-programmed by someone who's one Kloo Horn short of an orchestra?" The sarcastic Corellian accent rejoined. "Don't antagonise him! Say something nice?something gentle."

"Gentle? I'm trying to form an escape plan, not woo him!"

The idea of Obi-Wan using soft words to a droid might normally have elicited a smile from Jemmiah, but this was anything but a standard day. Injured, snatched, incarcerated by a lunatic and now held hostage by a droid with a cleaning compulsive disorder, Jemmiah wondered what on Coruscant could happen next to surprise them.

"Hello there?er, Squeaky." Obi-Wan coughed politely, feeling distinctly awkward at having to ingratiate himself with a mere astromech droid. "I wonder if you would be so good as to turn around so I might have a brief look at that restraining bolt welded to your chest unit." The droid's head whipped around in consternation, meeting Obi-Wan's cool gaze with a slightly panicky one of its own. "I, er?don't wish to cause you any harm, let me assure you. But perhaps if you were to let me look at that bolt?"

At that Squeaky gave a frightened little squeal. Obi-Wan frowned; this was proving to be a lot trickier than he'd anticipated.

"You see, if the bolt was removed you would be able to send a message to the Jedi temple and let them know where we were." Continued Obi-Wan. "Of course we wouldn't let that interfere with any duties you had already been given?" As his hands strayed down towards the bolt Obi-Wan could sense the droid grinding its gears in agitation. This was truly bizarre behaviour for an astromech!

"Soon be over, the

25. Before_Awards_Sock

Nov 30, 2004
    Best Vignette

Seventy and Seven Shades of Green by JedNemesis

The wisewoman rose to put more wood on the hearth, and as she did the first shouts came from outside.

Mechanically she built a new layer on the fire, not feeling the heat. Ice filled her. Behind her, Maileadh rocked, crooning to Nial, deaf to the world outside herself. When the wisewoman touched her she was cold, only her arms that cradled the child warm.

The knocking came, predictably. Numbly the wisewoman went to open it, and the women of the village looked past her to where Maileadh sat rocking her fay child.

Two of them helped the wisewoman get Maileadh to her feet. The movement seemed to rouse her from whatever waking sleep she had been in, and as she saw the fires and the line of hooded figures she began to shake, clutching Nial closer, but did not resist as the wisewoman guided her through the door.

The village women and the few men brave or foolish enough to stay formed a wide ring behind the bonfires as the hooded ones approached. Maileadh took her place in the circle, sobbing now, Nial?s white blanket made golden in her arms by the fire.

There had been nine fay children born this year, but only one to a woman who had already Given, and so the women of the village looked towards Maileadh.

The tears glittered on her face like jewels as she went forward, Nial in her arms. As the fifth hooded one reached out a hand to bless, she looked up under the shadowing hood and said softly ?We called for aid.?

?And I am here.?

The voice came from behind her, from behind the circle of silent women, from the darkness between two of the houses. Maileadh turned in time to see the stranger who had spoken step into the firelight, and felt the warmth of the flames for the first time.

He stepped closer to her; she craned her neck to meet his eyes, and saw that they were as green as her own. Sionléad eyes. Seventy and seven shades of green. And when he spoke, that too was Sionléadhbh, the lilt the twin of any she heard around her -

?The road was long.? he said gently. ?Forgive me.?

Nial stirred in her arms.

She would have forgiven the stranger the death of worlds.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/25696649]Success and Succession[/link] by Meredith_Kenobi

Author's Note: This is only about one-third of the actual vignette. I had a hard time deciding which part I wanted to submit as the other two-thirds focuses mostly on character development. But eventually I decided to post the last section.

How? How had she been beaten so easily? She trained for hours every day! She worked hard, probably harder than any other Padawan! It wasn?t right, and it certainly wasn?t fair.

A Jedi was supposed to accept defeat with dignity and grace. But, Enani reasoned as she marched towards the Room of a Thousand Fountains, she was not a Jedi yet.

And, she rationalized as she thought about this a little longer, in a real fight, how are you supposed to accept defeat with dignity and grace if you?re dead? It was ridiculous! The only answer was not to be defeated.

She sat down on the edge of one of the fountains, pulled off her boots, whirled around and stuck her feet into the cool water. She stuck the tip of her pointer finger into her mouth and began to bite her fingernail. This was the only room where she could truly truly relax. The sound of the running water helped her to think. The feel of the cool water on her feet helped her to be calm and would often soothe her emotions.

And so she began to contemplate her loss.

But what had she lost? The duel, certainly.

But had she also lost her Master?s trust? Perhaps. Had she lost his faith in her abilities? Maybe.

Had she lost her Master?

She didn?t want to think about it, didn?t want to face it. Which was why, when she felt her Master sit down beside her, she closed her eyes.

?Enani.?

She didn?t answer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.