main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Autograph Cost Complaint Thread**

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Lost in Coruscant, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm paying 75 bucks to GET IN, and now I have to pay 15 bucks for ONE autograph, and 120 for 10???

What the heck is the 75 gonna get me??? If I wanted the action figure, I'd get it on EBAY the week after.

Edit: made the title a bit more friendly :)
    Edit#2: Making this thread the official complaint one. ;)

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I completely agree with you. However, most of the folks going don't seem to mind. I'm looking forward to the convention, but not the costs involved. Your post is admirable, but be prepared for many a folk to come back and defend Wizards and the Celebration.

3. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    It could be worse... You could be paying $20-$30 for one autograph (which I've seen happen).

And if you want more than a few autographs, I'd probably save up and invest in the 10 @ $120 package.

But I do see where you're coming from.

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I do see where you're coming from, but like I said, they have to make their money where they can to make up for all the costs they are spending on this thing. Knowing that, I don't mind.

Yeah I think I paid $20 each for the autographs I have that i got at WizardCon.

And hey in future postings, don't put cuss words in your subject. That's a good way to get a topic locked real quick.

5. Shequan

Shequan Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Seems like on the interent, a lot of people lose their regard for other people's opinions. I'm willing to pay $15.00 for an autograph if it's worth it to me - but not everyone feels that way. And I respect those opinions, too. So, Coruscant, feel free to bitch about it .. that's why these are discussion forums. Nobody is wrong in having a different opinion. Maybe $15.00 is too much for some folks.

6. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    I very much agree here. I would love to know where in the hell my $75 is going. I was under the impression that the extra money would be going to the "celebs" in order to cover their usual autograph fees. Now in addition to having to fork over another $12 to go to the Star Wars Concert (I wasn't too miffed about that), now I have to give up $12 an autograph??

I would love to know where the extra money out of the "thirty-thousand expected fans" attending this Celebration is going. The last one was only $35 for the weekend and was a blast (rain included...added to the atmosphere for me). You take thirty-thousand times the extra $40 and you get $1.2 million. Wizards is going to be making over $2 million just on ticket sales. This doesn't even scratch the SURFACE of what they are going to make in merchandising and booth costs (add around $3-4 million on that). And I don't want to hear the argument that they have to cover their costs. I guarantee you that the RCA Dome is costing around $100,000. The "celeb" costs, if you take into consideration that your average Star Wars celeb charges around $5,000 for a weekend, there you have about $125,000. Add to that the cost of your higher end "talent" like Anthony, Billy Dee and Chris Lee (as well as maybe 2-3 other high-enders) who usually get around $50,000 for a weekend and you have $250,000.

SO...$100,000 for the Dome, $375,000 in Talent, and take into consideration about $300,000-$400,000 in other costs (and that is being HIGHLY exhuberant). You get about $875,000.

Wizards, Lucas and those involved stand to make a profit of about $5 million on this thing.

You be the judge on whether or not we are getting screwed here.

7. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    You know I was going to try and go into more depth about this, but if people are going to get cranky and angry about it, it's just not worth explaining it.

If you don't like it, either don't go or don't get autographs. It's all about what you value.

8. tk325

tk325 Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2002
    ...much anger in him...

Can't believe I'm agreeing with a rebel... ;)

I am certainly not made of money, especially with a 21mo daughter, but I am going for the experience. Am I going to get 12 autographs, maybe not. Will I get a couple? Sure. I think in relation to other conventions (athletic, entertainment, etc.) the $75 fee isn't too much higher than expected. The autograph fee is debatable. YOU have the final say so if it is too expensive. Perhaps if they end up having a bunch of pics left over, they will conduct C3 in a different manner, who knows. If you are that concerned about where your money is going, then perhaps you are better off staying home and investing in a nice mutual fund or something...

Just my two republic credits worth... :D

9. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Okay, it's my opinion. I'm not in charge. So that sums that up. However, it is a shame, because there are some fans out there who plain old can't afford it. Large cons can get away with charging $75 but you get alot in return (bands, fun & professional artshow, dealer's room, panels galore, a con suite with FREE REAL food, etc). Actors who are not paid to be at the event, but are invited guests, usually charge for the photos THEY (the actors) supply to offset their fees. It's kind of sad that we, as the fans, allow the merchandisers to get away with it. But, some folks are so smitten with Star Wars that they would buy SW toilet paper for $50 and it would sit on a shelf in their collection. That's fine, that's dandy. But not every fan can afford it. I don't like it. But ya know, I'll probably buy a couple of autographs. It'll be the folks that never do these cons that I'll get autographs from. Not Shannon Baksa, not Dave Prowse. I mean, come on...these people make a living off of these cons now. And, it is kind of sad that I would have to pay the same amount for Anthony Daniels' autograph, as say someone like Carrie Fisher, who never does conventions. Something seems wrong there.

Now, I've vented. I'm really looking forward to the con. I've got money saved up. I look forward to having a pleasant, non confrontational discussions with the FanForce & 501st folks I meet. But, I agree with the basics of this thread (though I will add that using profanity in the title isn't a way to make friends here).

Everyone just chill and start looking forward to what I am sure will be an awsome, fun-packed weekend. :cool:

10. BooBooKittyFett

BooBooKittyFett Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2001
    I had a dream about paying $50.00 for Star Wars toilet paper once...

11. tk325

tk325 Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2002
    Amen Jace. I agree that the costs do shut some less fortunate fans out. I also agree about distinguishing the costs between actors and their autographs. I mean I sure wouldn't want to pay the same amount for Harrison Ford (oh wait, he doesn't do these, does he? [face_laugh] ) as I would for some Imperial Admiral that lasted 5 minutes before Vader killed him.

Perhaps our paths will cross sometime rebel... ;)

12. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I suggest going in with friends and buying the 10 pack.

13. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    In case anyone's interested, I'm getting some 8X10's of me made, and I'll be selling them for 5 bucks outside the hall.

14. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Whew, I glad that I'm not the only one that was mad about the price increase between Celebration 1 & 2!

I don't particularly care about spending extra money on events that should have been compensated for in the original fee.
    I don't think that actors that have less than 5 min. of screen time are worth the money or the attention! (Aurra SIng?! Come on!!)

What's worse is that there is going to be such a push for "exclusive" content at Celebration 2, that someone would need a couple of thousands to buy the "experience", so to speak.

Since I almost got laid-off at the beginning of the year and haven't been able to recover from the economic slowdown (many people I know are in the same boat), I feel that this event is beginning to take advantage of the fans, it's even worse when you hear about how the movie reps are saying that AOTC is going to make a "S%*TLOAD OF MONEY!"

I'm a fan and I'm glad that I'm able to go to Celebration 2, but the BLATANT GREED-FACTOR is really pissing me off.
    :mad:
    (Heck, it surpised me to find out that a lanyard DOESN'T even come with a standard pass (It's $3)!! Good thing I have my lanyard from Celebration 1!)

I mainly want to take photos of the archives, at least I can't get CHARGED for THAT!

15. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Just curious but has anyone contacted Wizards to voice your concerns about the costs of everything? They have been very good whenever I have emailed them with questions.

16. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    All I have to say is that I have no complaints as of yet.

So far I have figured the whole SWC2 experience will cost be at least $1500

Can I afford it? No! Will I put myself deaper in debt? Yes. Will I regret it. I doubt it.

17. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    Congratulations...that's why George owns you and your wallet.

May the Force be with you......for a small fee.

18. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    It's a shame that the narrow-mindedness and arrogance of teenagers is the norm here.

So many people, or kids, in this forum whine so much it sickens me. They whined when they found out Wizards of the Coast wasn't bringing SWC2 to their backyard. They whined when they found out that Fan Club members got a few extra perks. They whined when they found that they would have to pay a whole $12 bucks to get into the SW Concert. Spare me the sob story.

No one is making you go to SWC2 or stand in line for the autographs. If you don't want to pay for it then don't get the autograph. Simple as that.

The reason they charge for this stuff is to limit it. It's the same reason why they are charging $12 for the concert. They can't have thousands of fans standing in line and expect a SW star to sign autographs for 8 hours. Stars are people, too. Just because they were in SW doesn't mean they have to subject themselves to the whims of some 15 year old fans.
    Imagine if you stood in line for several hours with several thousand other fans to get an autograph, only to find out that Christopher Lee is tired and he is going to stop for the day. Oh well. If they limit autograph sessions it actually makes the autograph session realistic.

You know what it is, kids? You want something for nothing. You don't want anyone to have something you don't but you don't want to pay any money or do any work to get it.

What is your $75 paying for?
    Gee, how about
    -Dealers (well you do have to pay for the merchandise)
    -Costume contest
    -Fan tables
    -LFL Archive displays
    -Fan Film contest
    -SW Art Galleries
    -Seminars on SW Collecting
    -You can get your stuff appraised
    -Auctions
    -Exclusive SWC2 merchandise

Let's not forget people. There will be plenty of stuff to do but the real fun of any convention or movie campout is hanging out with other fans. Camping out for Star Wars is more fun than actually watching it.

Once you move out and are no longer under mommy and daddy's roof, you will quickly learn that the teenager's rallying cry, "But it's not fair!" doesn't apply to the real world. Nope, it's not fair and nobody gives a rip either.
    In life there are essentially two types of people. There are those that want success and financial fortune but don't want to lift a finger to get it. They spend their lives waiting for a hand out and cry and whine like a toddler everytime the world doesn't go their way.
    The rest get out of bed in the morning and live their lives. They work hard and set high goals and don't wait around for "things to go their way."

19. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Well Rusty, it sounds like you're calling those who spend money on SW stuff "whores". You've said yourself you're going to SWC2, so it looks like you're amongst the unwashed as well. Don't point a finger if you aren't prepared to have one pointed back at you.

20. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Well, I'm not exactly a teenager, and I don't feel that the extra costs that are being added more and more to this event are as justified as some people here do.

What about working people that have families and would like to get autographs for their kids?
    This kind of stuff adds up.

One of the points I'm trying to make is, do I think that it is fair to have to pay the same price for a "star" as it is for an "actor"?
    Nope. I could see paying a lot for a name, not a somebody.
    Does anyone really believe that their signed Aurra Sing photograph is going to be worth as much as a signed Lando photo? (Obviously, this applies to the eBay'ers among us.)

Even though I'm of the belief that the entertainment industry does work for us, to some extent, without me, my family and fellow fans buying the tickets and buying all of the SW stuff, G.L. would be doing industrial films for workplace safety.

I'm just saying that things are starting to become unrealistic when it comes to the cost of a "fan" event. What's next for Celebration 3?
    A $115 ticket price for 3 days?
    Pay another $50 to go to a "Fan Club only" gift shop?
    Pay to go through the licensee booths?

Out of that entire list, there are only about 4 things that hold any real interest for me. Most of that list applies to making even more money for LFL in some way, (collecting, dealers, exclusive merchandise). BTW, the Washignton D.C. Star Wars Smithsonian Exhibit was a better collection (and exhibiton) of materials than the archives on display at Celebration 1, and the Smithsonian was FREE!

I can see the potential to spend a lot more than $1500. I won't got that far, I say maybe $300 to $500 at the most, about what I would pay for a good computer program or upgrade, but it's not worth the cost of new iMac.

I'm afraid that it will be worse for 3 because it will be the last film and the marketing/promotions people are gonna push the hell outta that fact.

21. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    I understand that you can't afford it. But why whine about it here? Boycott SWC2 and/or tell WotC what you think.

They have to limit it somehow. This isn't Bubba's SF Con in the boonies, this is SWC2 and each day there are tens of thousands of fans at the convention.

Hundreds, probably thousands of fans would line up to get the autograph of Billy Dee Williams or Christopher Lee if it was free. Not only is that a space problem, but these guys can't sign autographs all day.

There are other ways to limit it, too. When I got Mark Hammil's autograph at a Comic Convention in Portland, OR they handed out 200 passes and stopped it there.
    But people complained about that one, too.

If they did it for free many people would stand in line for hours and not get to the star in time to get their autograph and they would complain about that one as well.

It's $30 for Fan Club membership. If they didn't give official fan club members extra perks they would comlain, too. Not to mention having everyone enter the con at the same time is terrible idea (Fan club members are supposed to get in 1 hour before everyone else).

Some people will never be satisfied.

22. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Well, I'm sure that many of you know about the collector mentality, as a recovering SW addict/collector, I just think that this autograph controversy is a way for LFL (I'm sure they'll get some cut) to benefit from fan impulsiveness ($120 for a book of 10 coupons)?

Really, how many "working" (no teens or students) people that are going to attend will be able to actually afford that?
    (I know of a Senior citizen that lives on a fixed income that will be going to Celebration 2 and he had issues with the autograph fees.)

I realize that people don't actually sign stuff for free anymore ( I don't think that is right, but anyway...), I just think that at a reduced cost ($6 or so, with a limit of 2 items, but only 1 opportunitiy in line, for example) more fans will be actually getting these autographs and not just a bunch of "headhunters" that have planned to spend hundreds so that they can slap these photos on eBay for double or triple the money.

I realize that there is going to be a limit of some sort, it just doesn't sit well to me that that limit is dictated by economic terms.
    I would love to have an autograph by everyone in attendance, but I couldn't afford that. I can damn sure guarantee that those photos wouldn't end up for sale on the internet.
    As I said before, I don't feel that that price is FAIR, considering that the price is equal for all the people involved. The principle actors SHOULD get a larger fee than a guy in a alien costume that was in the film for 1 min.
    Would that anger the alien guy that he isn't worth as much as a main character? I'm sure it would, but he'd have to face the facts that he just isn't THAT MUCH in demand.

Hey, I just joined the fan club for the Celebration 2 perks (actually, I was in the original Fan Club back in '79, but I digress...).
    My example was to show that once you pay $30 to join, what's to stop LFL, WOTC, etc. from adding a perk that has to be payed for? I mean you're a FAN CLUB MEMBER, OF COURSE YOU'LL PAY!! [face_devil]
    (If that happens, I'm sorry I opened my fat mouth!)

Why boycott Celebration 2 when I already have the passes and can't get a refund? Hmmm.... this a ploy to get more autographs? ;)

As for complaining about this, that was what this post was set up for.
    I'm sure to fire off an e-mail to WOTC, but I want to make a point that not all fans are totally satisfied with the expenses involved.

End of rant.

23. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Test post. I seem to be unable to edit my posts in this forum only.

EDIT: Hmm, I seem to be able to edit new posts. I wonder if there is a limit to the number of times you can edit a post.

24. K-Dub_Solo

K-Dub_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    I really don't mind paying for the sigs. I do personally believe that for the $75, you should probably get atleast 2 complimentary autograph tickets. I do mind having to pay an extra $3 for a certificate of authenticity for my new sig. Maybe if you could take a picture with the celeb, then that would take the sting out of the price as well.

25. Darth_Balls

Darth_Balls Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    All's I needs is a Billy Dee tag and I'm set, don't care bout none of those other foos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.